ADVERTISEMENT

Are We Still Arguing About Hatians?

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
This is from the neck of the woods I grew up in, as well as DanC. Pretty much all of the surrounding county schools have been dealing with the same issues as Logansport's school system. The real eye-opener here for me is the unaccompanied minor part.

The Tyson plant is a horrible job that nobody wants to do, by the way. I worked there the summer after I graduated HS and it was plenty of motivation to get a degree.

This is from the neck of the woods I grew up in, as well as DanC. Pretty much all of the surrounding county schools have been dealing with the same issues as Logansport's school system. The real eye-opener here for me is the unaccompanied minor part.

The Tyson plant is a horrible job that nobody wants to do, by the way. I worked there the summer after I graduated HS and it was plenty of motivation to get a degree.
I laughed at the first sentence. When I think of Logansport, I don't think of diversity 🤣 You guys had some really good teams in the mid 90s with Springer. The Berry dome was a cool gym to play in.

I laughed at the first sentence. When I think of Logansport, I don't think of diversity 🤣 You guys had some really good teams in the mid 90s with Springer. The Berry dome was a cool gym to play in.
#Notaberry

Large number of Asians, Vietnamese in particular, in Logansport. There's a large hispanic population too. The 27 languages was surprising as was the use of the term "urban".

Our farm's line fence was the school district's line. I dodged a bullet and wasn't a Berry. You went to Logan to drink, Rochester to chase girls, and Peru to fight.

Yikes. From 14 Haitian students in 2021 to 207 this year. Thats insane. That can’t be sustainable.

I think the mayor has a great point in that he has no idea how many immigrants have settled in the town and therefor, how do you plan anything with any type of accuracy?

Logansport Mayor Chris Martin said he needs help now. Martin told Ganote that the biggest issue is not knowing how many immigrants have come to his city. He added that from the federal to state government nobody can tell him.

“Do you even know? We don’t,” Martin said. “We don’t.”

Migrant spiritual leaders told city leaders that 5,000 Haitian immigrants have recently moved to the city, but the mayor said he has no way of verifying that number.

Martin said these numbers matter because budgets, money and services are planned using the census population of 18,000. He said he does know the growth is significant.

“Here’s how we know it has changed,” he said. “Because of the 20 to 30% increase that we are seeing in a lot of our normal city services like traffic, school and the hospital.”

Martin blamed federal immigration policies for the burden. He told Ganote that if the federal government is going to help people come here, they need to help the city with services.

“The federal government has got to step in and help communities our size,” the mayor said.

Martin said two other concerns he has are a strain on the local hospital and a lack of housing.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
I think the mayor has a great point in that he has no idea how many immigrants have settled in the town and therefor, how do you plan anything with any type of accuracy?

Logansport Mayor Chris Martin said he needs help now. Martin told Ganote that the biggest issue is not knowing how many immigrants have come to his city. He added that from the federal to state government nobody can tell him.

Migrant spiritual leaders told city leaders that 5,000 Haitian immigrants have recently moved to the city, but the mayor said he has no way of verifying that number.

Martin said these numbers matter because budgets, money and services are planned using the census population of 18,000. He said he does know the growth is significant.

“Here’s how we know it has changed,” he said. “Because of the 20 to 30% increase that we are seeing in a lot of our normal city services like traffic, school and the hospital.”

Martin blamed federal immigration policies for the burden. He told Ganote that if the federal government is going to help people come here, they need to help the city with services.

“The federal government has got to step in and help communities our size,” the mayor said.

Martin said two other concerns he has are a strain on the local hospital and a lack of housing.

The assumption that pretty much all immigration is a net positive is incorrect. It just becomes painfully obvious in smaller communities much quicker than larger cities.

The fvcking Leviathan will stoop to anything to gain control of innocent citizens...bankrupt their healthcare, destroy school systems, overwhelm their social safety nets, inflate housing costs, quality of life......

Imagine. The Leviathan contracts American Airlines to fly illegal, non-vetted, non-vaccinated Haitians into Grissom AFB in Peru, then dump them on citizens of small communities like Logansport(and apparently Washington)...and the Republican elected officials don't want to talk about it.

I live for the reckoning.

Reactions: DANC

What was the name of the whore house there?

What was the name of the whore house there?
There were a bunch of them. At one point, Logan was a relatively big rail yard and lots of guys away from home in the bunkhouse wanted some company.

I remember them getting raided and shut down when I was a kid. All up and down Erie Ave, out in the open even, and everyone was "shocked" when it happened.

Get A Brane!!
099c73ac-db05-4b88-a2c1-757fdb43ac07_text.gif

The smell of that place makes me yak. How did you stand it during the heat of the summer?

Last edited:

We always had migrant students in our classes and most lived around Logansport. They would be there until the crops were picked and then they'd head back south. Some of them stayed year round.

This is a whole 'nother ballgame. Last time I went through Logan it was like I was driving through little Honduras.

There were a bunch of them. At one point, Logan was a relatively big rail yard and lots of guys away from home in the bunkhouse wanted some company.

I remember them getting raided and shut down when I was a kid. All up and down Erie Ave, out in the open even, and everyone was "shocked" when it happened.
Guys from our HS would go there - it was kind of a right of passage. I did not participate, however.

The funniest thing I ever heard is that, before you got busy, they had to wash your johnson in the 'peter pan'. lol

Last edited:
The smell of that place makes me yak. How did you stand it durin the heat of the summer?
My dad worked there a week short of 25 years while he was building the farm. I figured I could handle it for a summer.

Fun fact, I worked for a construction company the last summer I went home and they had a contract for tearing out and re-pouring all the concrete on the docks and in the refrigerated areas. I got 2 summers in the stink.

Hasn't Logansport always been good in baseball?
They've had some good teams. To tell you the truth, I haven't lived arounnd there for a while and I usually only get local news.

Logansport is just a strange town. When I was in HS, it had a nice downtown, but it was starting to deteriorate and buildings were being torn down. Lots of parking lots.

Betwen the railroads and what used to be Wilson's (now Tyson), it was always kind of a gritty town.

They've had some good teams. To tell you the truth, I haven't lived arounnd there for a while and I usually only get local news.

Logansport is just a strange town. When I was in HS, it had a nice downtown, but it was starting to deteriorate and buildings were being torn down. Lots of parking lots.

Betwen the railroads and what used to be Wilson's (now Tyson), it was always kind of a gritty town.
Sounds a little like Elkhart.

Reactions: DANC
Sounds a little like Elkhart.
I almost said that in my post. I had a good friend - older guy I met at an IU football game - who lived in Elkhart and I used to go up and visit him. When I drove through part of the town, all the businesses were hispanic, with Spanish advertising/signs.

We always had migrant students in our classes and most lived around Logansport. They would be there until the crops were picked and then they'd head back south. Some of them stayed year round.

This is a whole 'nother ballgame. Last time I went through Logan it was like I was driving through little Honduras.
And why is that such a problem?

And why is that such a problem?
We have tons of Hispanics here in the city. In fact we have an entire Mexican league I still go play in once in a while. The Hispanics are great here. Not bad on crime, work hard, etc. the issue is that they came here organically. They became integrated over time allowing the city to absorb them.

With Harris integration is a tsunami. You can’t flood communities. Roll back border protections predicated on baseless woke feels and let 15 million roll through. The immigrants under her are like adding a top ten state in terms of population. She doubled the nonconfined docket. Criminals. Everything. She’s stupid. A social worker. Unfit to run anything other than a nonprofit with those instincts

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
We have tons of Hispanics here in the city. In fact we have an entire Mexican league I still go play in once in a while. The Hispanics are great here. Not bad on crime, work hard, etc. the issue is that they came here organically. They became integrated over time allowing the city to absorb them.

With Harris integration is a tsunami. You can’t flood communities. Roll back border protections predicated on baseless woke feels and let 15 million roll through. The immigrants under her are like adding a top ten state in terms of population. She doubled the nonconfined docket. Criminals. Everything. She’s stupid. A social worker. Unfit to run anything other than a nonprofit with those instincts
I absolutely agree. Common sense integration / immigration is essential. What I have a problem with is Trump and his minions vilifying and threatening deportation to those who are here legally and have already settled in communities. This pandering to his base by stoking fears of raping/marauding/pet eating immigrants is immoral and dangerous. Xenophobia is unfortunately a fact of the human psyche and despotic leaning leaders have always known how to utilize this psychological warfare to obtain and then maintain power. DMB and people like him will always lap this shit up like the family dog but I just know in my heart that you’re smarter than this

I absolutely agree. Common sense integration / immigration is essential. What I have a problem with is Trump and his minions vilifying and threatening deportation to those who are here legally and have already settled in communities. This pandering to his base by stoking fears of raping/marauding/pet eating immigrants is immoral and dangerous. Xenophobia is unfortunately a fact of the human psyche and despotic leaning leaders have always known how to utilize this psychological warfare to obtain and then maintain power. DMB and people like him will always lap this shit up like the family dog but I just know in my heart that you’re smarter than this
What Harris has done is reckless and dangerous. Then she lied while she was doing it. There aren’t criminals crossing. Shit.

Trump was trying to protect the border.

I want to hear numbers.

What Harris has done is reckless and dangerous. Then she lied while she was doing it. There aren’t criminals crossing. Shit.

I want to hear numbers.
Him trying to protect the border in no way addresses what my point was. And what about this MSG rally coming up. Any reminders of a certain moustachioed man who sort of caused some trouble back in the 1930’s???

I want to hear numbers.
All we need are some gas chamber to take care of the “immigrant problem”
To make the analogy complete

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT