ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Jails

Mhmmm. You sound very young - and inexperienced. I read your post above re nonviolent. It's meaningless. Just feelings.

Going to prison for first time nonviolent minor offenses isn't a problem in America. I don't think you have a clue how many criminals never see a minute of jail time. I don't think you understand how much it takes for nonviolent minor criminals to go to jail. You have to **** up over and over and over again before you go. Hell the prosecutors in the highest crime cities are largely black.

A first time D or E felony is VERY unlikely to see a minute of jail time.

I'll be blunt - you don't know what you are talking about. We have a crime problem. Not a justice problem. Stop making excuses for people.

so, again, you are saying we're lucky even more people aren't going to jail???? good friggin grief. the country that leads the free industrialized world in wealth and incarcerations is actually taking it easy on folks? I'll be blunt, that way of thinking is dumb

Here is what the Star's story I linked said, bolding mine:

Since 2000, the state’s jail population has grown by 60%, according to 2019 federal data — more than five times the state’s overall population growth. But it's not like Indiana has been overrun by hardened criminals.​

Indiana's jails are largely filled with people arrested on relatively minor charges and often related to drugs, mental illness, the inability to afford bail or a failure to follow rules of probation. They are complicated, sometimes overlapping issues, exacerbated by a drastic shortage of state psychiatric hospital beds and the transfer of thousands of state prisoners into already crowded local jails since 2014.​
keeping the issues separate is important when considering resolving problems.

Jails have different problems than prisons.

Pre-trial detainees are different from sentenced prisoners.

Mental health holds are forced on jails

Many states mandate that domestic abusers be immediately locked up.

Parol or probation violators must be taken into custody.

Those who are whacked out because drugs or alcohol and not at home or homeless must be taken into custody until they are functional, otherwise the authorities get sued. Thank you ACLU.

Much of the jail populations are there for 24-72 hours. That‘s because we use jails as a dumping ground for those who are in various kinds of temporary destructive conditions often fueled by drugs and alcohol. It’s getting worse and we don’t give a shit unless a family member is involved. Fewer people have families willing to take people in. Control addictions and we solve many problems. The social momentum is to enable addictions in different ways because a guy choking in his own vomit at the curb is a victimless crime. What a country.

Congrats to Inday you made the list! Keep up the anti cop talk it works so well.

12 MAJOR DEM-CONTROLLED CITIES BROKE ALL-TIME RECORD FOR HOMICIDES IN 2021 AFTER HAVING HORRENDOUS HOMICIDE NUMBERS IN 2020!

ALL OF THESE CITIES ARE RUN BY DEMOCRAT MAYORS:

Rochester, NY

Philadelphia, PA

Indianapolis, IN

Toledo, OH

Columbus, OH

Baton Rouge, LA

Austin, TX

Louisville, KY

St. Paul, MN

Portland, OR

Tucson, AZ

Albuquerque, NM

Milwaukee, WI and Minneapolis, MIN are very close to breaking homicide records in 2021.

REPORTED REASONS: Lack of arrests, bad bail practices, defunding the police, 45% rate of police retirement, 20% increase in resignations from police officers in 2020-21.

Retired chief of detectives, Robert Boyce for the NYC Police Dept., said, “…while there is no single reason for the jump in slayings, one national crime statistic stands out to him. Nobody’s getting arrested anymore; people are getting picked up for gun possession and they’re just let out over and over again.”

so, again, you are saying we're lucky even more people aren't going to jail???? good friggin grief. the country that leads the free industrialized world in wealth and incarcerations is actually taking it easy on folks? I'll be blunt, that way of thinking is dumb
I don't put a lot of stock in comparisons with other countries for myriad reasons from homogeneity differences to the uniqueness of our country.

As for being "lucky," that's not a word I used. A fraction of the people guilty of criminal behavior ever go to jail. The reality is we have a ton of people who commit crimes. That's the reality. You want to focus on how criminals are treated when the lion's share of the focus should be on reducing the number of criminals.

I'm always open to ways to reform charging/sentencing/probation/
bonds.

What many of us are sick of is excusing criminal behavior and acting like they are the victims. The smash and grab bullshit makes me not want my kids at the mall. The crime in this country is out of control and the far left is brain dead about it. They are actually dangerous. You can't even go to a hockey game without worrying about getting jacked. Only day games. Ridiculous.

No - getting repeat offenders back on the streets and bail issues isn't chief amongst my concerns. I'm more interested in getting more bad guys off the streets and reducing crime rates

Last edited:
Reactions: mushroomgod_1
If left wing cities want to let out every criminal I could care less. I do not live in any of them and never would in a million years. I used to like Chicago but not anymore I have no interest in going there.I wonder if Dr. Hoops has any skin in the game? i highly highly doubt it.
They want criminals to avoid punishment because it creates chaos and a feeling of helplessness on the part of the public. Then the public will demand action by govt— action that only a totalitarian regime can provide—Cf- Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals. It’s The Left’s playbook. They don’t hide the fact. They’re just counting on the ignorance of the masses.

They want criminals to avoid punishment because it creates chaos and a feeling of helplessness on the part of the public. Then the public will demand action by govt— action that only a totalitarian regime can provide—Cf- Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals. It’s The Left’s playbook. They don’t hide the fact. They’re just counting on the ignorance of the masses.
Bail reform is a Trojan Horse for the warlord Bernie Sanders to take over?

this might the one of those PR things we have to deal with whether it’s true or not — like election fraud and BLM

I agree with your last statement, but does jail/prison eliminate drug use (or solve mental illness)? You know the old saw about sending an 18-year old to prison on a drug crime, we just teach him how to be a more hardened criminal.
Fines/community service for simple possession/usage, but NO jail time. It’s excessive and a waste of taxpayer $.

Jail for small-scale dealers.

Death for drug kingpins.

Violence and someone who recklessly endangers others…how far do we go with punishment?

The Indy Star has an article out about how overcrowded Indiana jails are becoming.

Since 2000, the state’s jail population has grown by 60%, according to 2019 federal data — more than five times the state’s overall population growth. But it's not like Indiana has been overrun by hardened criminals.​
Indiana's jails are largely filled with people arrested on relatively minor charges and often related to drugs, mental illness, the inability to afford bail or a failure to follow rules of probation. They are complicated, sometimes overlapping issues, exacerbated by a drastic shortage of state psychiatric hospital beds and the transfer of thousands of state prisoners into already crowded local jails since 2014.​
The story suggests most people in jail are not violent offenders, they are the drug addicts and the mentally ill. And many jails lack any ability to treat either. A money line was " 'Punishment is easy', Henry said. 'Changing lives is hard.' "

The article recalls the closing of the large state mental health facilities, and that has been a problem. All we have done is transfer the mentally ill to the criminal justice system which was never designed to handle that issue. But the Supreme Court made that choice so there isn't much to do there.

But there has to be some way of treating the addict, or counseling the mentally ill rather than lock them up. We probably can't afford to build a new jail in every county. But we all know cases where people who do commit violent crimes are let loose early and do them again. Those are the people that need to stay locked away, not a simple drug addict or even a drug seller (as long as no violent history).

"But the Supreme Court made that choice so there isn't much to do there".

Government of the People, by the People, and for the People? So we have no choice other than allow the mentally ill and homeless occupy the public spaces? With a couple of random stabbing deaths here and there?

"But the Supreme Court made that choice so there isn't much to do there".

Government of the People, by the People, and for the People? So we have no choice other than allow the mentally ill and homeless occupy the public spaces? With a couple of random stabbing deaths here and there?

we all know the problem, the question is the solutions.

Pubs don't want to fund mental hospitals, because that would be Communist.

they also don't want drug addiction treated as a health condition, which it absolutely is, and just hope the hard core addicted magically are cured.

and they don't want rent control or mandated min wage that would allow those who serve us every day to be able to afford a home anywhere in the country, or even a modest apt in many parts of the country.

but most of all, and the part missed by everyone, is Pub leadership and donors don't want any of these problems fixed.

nor do they want immigration or race issues fixed.

take away the homeless/race/crime/immigration issues, and the Pubs wouldn't hold 10 seats in the senate, and would never hold the house or presidency.

crime/race/immigration/abortion, are the gifts that keep on giving for Pubs, as those are the only things that ever gets them any votes.

making life better for billionaires just isn't a big vote getter for Pubs, so these social issues are all they've got post covid, if there ever is a post covid..

they also don't want drug addiction treated as a health condition, which it absolutely is, and just hope the hard core addicted magically are cured.
Funny (sad) story:

In my early professional years I was the low man on the office totem pole, so I was chosen to be the office rep at some meetings of the Regional Service Council. Lot of judges & community stakeholders in the area talking about stuff way above my paygrade, but we needed someone there.

Anyway, this one meeting, all of these reps from various providers are in there making their pitches for funding. They're the kind of groups that try to put homes back together after "child in needs of services" (CHINS) cases are started. One of the judges from Vincennes was complaining about how the CHINS track and criminal track of court proceedings is ruining his world. By the time they get a family put back together through the CHINS case, the parent is being convicted of manufacturing meth and then gets sent to prison. And then they get out and get right back to meth. A vicious cycle.

As earnestly as he could be, one of these provider reps from Fort Wayne looks over to me and asks if people really start using meth again after getting back from prison. He was just absolutely incredulous that people wouldn't get cured of their addiction like that. I just remember being like, "Brother. What F**kin planet are you living on? Yes, meth addicts use meth when they get out of prison." I have no idea if his group got funded or not, but the innocence of that poor man got taken away that night.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Congrats to Inday you made the list! Keep up the anti cop talk it works so well.

12 MAJOR DEM-CONTROLLED CITIES BROKE ALL-TIME RECORD FOR HOMICIDES IN 2021 AFTER HAVING HORRENDOUS HOMICIDE NUMBERS IN 2020!

ALL OF THESE CITIES ARE RUN BY DEMOCRAT MAYORS:

Rochester, NY

Philadelphia, PA

Indianapolis, IN

Toledo, OH

Columbus, OH

Baton Rouge, LA

Austin, TX

Louisville, KY

St. Paul, MN

Portland, OR

Tucson, AZ

Albuquerque, NM

Milwaukee, WI and Minneapolis, MIN are very close to breaking homicide records in 2021.

REPORTED REASONS: Lack of arrests, bad bail practices, defunding the police, 45% rate of police retirement, 20% increase in resignations from police officers in 2020-21.

Retired chief of detectives, Robert Boyce for the NYC Police Dept., said, “…while there is no single reason for the jump in slayings, one national crime statistic stands out to him. Nobody’s getting arrested anymore; people are getting picked up for gun possession and they’re just let out over and over again.”
Red state makes no difference if you have a blue mayor.

Leftists hate normality, and embrace the degenerate and the bizarre. That's why they are fine with drug addicts and the homeless 'owning' the public spaces in blue cities. Unless/until it costs them an election.

we all know the problem, the question is the solutions.

Pubs don't want to fund mental hospitals, because that would be Communist.

and they don't want rent control or mandated min wage that would allow those who serve us every day to be able to afford a home anywhere in the country, or even a modest apt in many parts of the country.

but most of all, and the part missed by everyone, is Pub leadership and donors don't want any of these problems fixed.

nor do they want immigration or race issues fixed.

take away the homeless/race/crime/immigration issues, and the Pubs wouldn't hold 10 seats in the senate, and would never hold the house or presidency.

crime/race/immigration/abortion, are the gifts that keep on giving for Pubs, as those are the only things that ever gets them any votes.

making life better for billionaires just isn't a big vote getter for Pubs, so these social issues are all they've got post covid, if there ever is a post covid..
90% of this is nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT