ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Jails

I dunno about that. Pharmacies are cutting hours and some are closing because of no staff. There is no staff because workers, and potential workers, can't piss a clean sample. They can't piss a clean sample because of legal and plentiful weed.

If you think the answer is to hire hibitual weed users to dispense narcotics, we can have that discussion. But I don't think its a good idea.Addiction and the desire to get high is just to overwhelming for many people, especially now since we are bombarded every day with all kinds of BS like the world is going to end if we don't drive a Tesla, you are facing a "winter of death" if you are not vaxed, or you are worthless racist SOB if you don't apoligize for having white skin. We are immersed in an asymetrical screw up.
I don't know a lot about weed but I don't see how it or your concerns are any different than for alcohol

There is. But it is all voluntary. SCOTUS held a long time ago that committments can't be forced without a showing of potential harm to self or others. It's a tough problem. The only thing government can force is prison for law breakers or mental healt confinement for those who pose a harm to self or others. Everybody else get's nothin' unless they want it and they usually don't want it.
The question for us in northern climates, is sleeping outdoors in winter a potential risk to self?

I don't know a lot about weed but I don't see how it or your concerns are any different than for alcohol
Alcohol metabolizes out of your system much quicker than weed. If a worker drinks a six-pack on their day off the worker will be clean. Not so with weed.

"For daily users, cannabis may be detectable for several months after last use. The longest-reported detection times are more than 90 days."

Alcohol metabolizes out of your system much quicker than weed. If a worker drinks a six-pack on their day off the worker will be clean. Not so with weed.
I know that. I guess I'm missing why it matters? If they show up and do a shitty job are you saying it's harder to fire them because you can't test them in a timely fashion?

I know that. I guess I'm missing why it matters? If they show up and do a shitty job are you saying it's harder to fire them because you can't test them in a timely fashion?
I’m saying weed excludes people from a lot of jobs. Pharmacy techs is one of those. Meanwhile we have labor shortages.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The Indy Star has an article out about how overcrowded Indiana jails are becoming.

Since 2000, the state’s jail population has grown by 60%, according to 2019 federal data — more than five times the state’s overall population growth. But it's not like Indiana has been overrun by hardened criminals.​
Indiana's jails are largely filled with people arrested on relatively minor charges and often related to drugs, mental illness, the inability to afford bail or a failure to follow rules of probation. They are complicated, sometimes overlapping issues, exacerbated by a drastic shortage of state psychiatric hospital beds and the transfer of thousands of state prisoners into already crowded local jails since 2014.​
The story suggests most people in jail are not violent offenders, they are the drug addicts and the mentally ill. And many jails lack any ability to treat either. A money line was " 'Punishment is easy', Henry said. 'Changing lives is hard.' "

The article recalls the closing of the large state mental health facilities, and that has been a problem. All we have done is transfer the mentally ill to the criminal justice system which was never designed to handle that issue. But the Supreme Court made that choice so there isn't much to do there.

But there has to be some way of treating the addict, or counseling the mentally ill rather than lock them up. We probably can't afford to build a new jail in every county. But we all know cases where people who do commit violent crimes are let loose early and do them again. Those are the people that need to stay locked away, not a simple drug addict or even a drug seller (as long as no violent history).

Bigger picture: Americans are just punitive by nature. the psychotic bootstrap ethos we pay billionaires to feed us is the problem IMO. The programming is so severe that the middle-class actual feels righteous in keeping our perpetual untouchables dumb and arrestable.

Strangely, there are places in the world where the decision to arrest and imprison someone is a big deal. And where imprisoned people are treated like people who will live amongst us again. Very strange.

Sure, some percentage of any tribe will always be irrevocable but it is weird that our prison rates tick toward what you might see in a one-party system. F*cking billionaires

Last edited:
Bigger picture: Americans are just punitive by nature. the psychotic bootstrap ethos we pay billionaires to feed us is the problem IMO. The programming is so severe that the middle-class actual feels righteous in keeping our perpetual untouchables dumb and arrestable.

Strangely, there are places in the world where the decision to arrest and imprison someone is a big deal. And where imprisoned people are treated like people who will live amongst us again. Very strange.

Sure, some percentage of any tribe will always be irrevocable but it is weird that our prison rates tick toward what you might see in a one-party system. F*cking billionaires
Yeah, we throw adults into prison; but make the offenders when they are kids. The smash and grab offenders are largely kids. Near my home we had three shooting incidents in 2 weeks where the shooters were teenagers and so were the victims. And they were all Black. The political and social elites preach that we can fix this by yapping about White Supremacy or something and by creating departments of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in all of our institutions. All of that is bullshit. By the time these kids are adults, most of them are dead or headed to jail. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion won't help them. It's all about the kids. Young kids don't know supremacy or diversity from a sack of potatoes. But they know about gangs, guns, and drugs. I have no idea what billionaires have to do with any of this.

Reactions: 76-1
CNN is your go to I imagine. The station that breeds child molesters. LOL!!! Plus I know you think all of that is made up and the crime is not real. You need skin in the game my friend. You need to move to the heart of one of these left wing nirvanas you so love.
Cuckooooo!!!!

Yeah, we throw adults into prison; but make the offenders when they are kids. The smash and grab offenders are largely kids. Near my home we had three shooting incidents in 2 weeks where the shooters were teenagers and so were the victims. And they were all Black. The political and social elites preach that we can fix this by yapping about White Supremacy or something and by creating departments of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in all of our institutions. All of that is bullshit. By the time these kids are adults, most of them are dead or headed to jail. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion won't help them. It's all about the kids. Young kids don't know supremacy or diversity from a sack of potatoes. But they know about gangs, guns, and drugs. I have no idea what billionaires have to do with any of this.

You nailed it! It’s a Class War disguised as a Culture War. And, no offense, but I think you’ve fallen for it….
March on, or whatever…

LOL yes crime is a product of our punitive inclinations and billionaires. Never accountability and personal responsibility. Good grief. People who are in jail, absent very serious shit, have been given ample opportunities to stay out of jail. It's that they do bad shit. That has zero to do with billionaires and our punitive nature.

Punishment isn't the problem. How to stop the behavior is the problem.

LOL yes crime is a product of our punitive inclinations and billionaires. Never accountability and personal responsibility. Good grief. People who are in jail, absent very serious shit, have been given ample opportunities to stay out of jail. It's that they do bad shit. That has zero to do with billionaires and our punitive nature.

I don’t totally disagree but ever wonder why the US, of all rich countries, stays locked in this particular cycle?

Don’t forget most of those in prison are there because of ineffective lawyers and/ or they are innocent.

• Haha
Don’t forget most of those in prison are there because of ineffective lawyers and/ or they are innocent.

welp, I clearly stumbled in on two guys hard at work fixing America’s ills. Lol

the solution for ineffective criminal justice is always more criminal justice.

welp, I clearly stumbled in on two guys hard at work fixing America’s ills. Lol

the solution for ineffective criminal justice is always more criminal justice.
LMAO. The solution for ineffective criminal justice is fewer criminals and less crime. Maybe you think the criminal justice system seizes kids when they are 6 years old and turns them into criminals, but I don‘t.

naw, you know the system. You just can’t imagine anything else. And that’s where the US education system fails even the middle class…
Fails the middle class?. Okay I am tapping out. I understood every word you wrote but the order you put them in leaves me confused.

Carry on - be the voice of change

LMAO. The solution for ineffective criminal justice is fewer criminals and less crime. Maybe you think the criminal justice system seizes kids when they are 6 years old and turns them into criminals, but I don‘t.

Haha. it basically does when you seize one of that kid’s parents for being non-violent but dumb as a box of rocks.

Fails the middle class?. Okay I am tapping out. I understood every word you wrote but the order you put them in leaves me confused.

sure thing. And you keep solving societies problems with your grandpa’s playbook.

sure thing. And you keep solving societies problems with your grandpa’s playbook.
Mhmmm. You sound very young - and inexperienced. I read your post above re nonviolent. It's meaningless. Just feelings.

Going to prison for first time nonviolent minor offenses isn't a problem in America. I don't think you have a clue how many criminals never see a minute of jail time. I don't think you understand how much it takes for nonviolent minor criminals to go to jail. You have to **** up over and over and over again before you go. Hell the prosecutors in the highest crime cities are largely black.

A first time D or E felony is VERY unlikely to see a minute of jail time.

I'll be blunt - you don't know what you are talking about. We have a crime problem. Not a justice problem. Stop making excuses for people.

Last edited:

Mhmmm. You sound very young - and inexperienced. I read your post above re nonviolent. It's meaningless. Just feelings.
Going to prison for first time nonviolent minor offenses isn't a problem in America. I don't think you have a clue how many criminals never see a minute of jail time. I don't think you understand how much it takes for nonviolent minor criminals to go to jail. You have to **** up over and over and over again before you go. Hell the prosecutors in the most dangerous cities are largely black.

Hell a first time D or E felony is VERY unlikely to see a minute of jail time.

I'll be blunt - you don't know what you are talking about. We have a crime problem. Not a justice problem. Stop making excuses for people.
So you’re saying we should be grateful we aren’t sending more people to prison? Lol

and one has to be young to use words like “non-violence”?

No one’s making excuses. Do the crime, do the time. But maybe there is a better way? Sorry, I know that would entail “change”.

So you’re saying we should be grateful we aren’t sending more people to prison? Lol

and one has to be young to use words like “non-violence”?

No one’s making excuses. Do the crime, do the time. But maybe there is a better way? Sorry, I know that would entail “change”.
Describe it. Use your words. Be very specific. What bonds/sentencing/probation/revocations do you want changed and what will replace them?

Describe it. Use your words. Be very specific. What bonds/sentencing/probation/revocations changed and how?

i just did. Vote somewhere in the middle of “lock them all up” and “ let them all out”. Vote for someone with the balls to take a new approach. Don’t have that option to vote for? Demand it.
What you absolutely can’t do is walk around normalizing the ridiculous messaging we’re bombarded w every day. The culture warrior BS. I know, I know, you alone are immune to news outlets telling you that everyone is either a criminal or a victim, and that it’s normal in a society for 1% to own half of everything and have outlandish political influence…

i just did. Vote somewhere in the middle of “lock them all up” and “ let them all out”. Vote for someone with the balls to take a new approach. Don’t have that option to vote for? Demand it.
What you absolutely can’t do is walk around normalizing the ridiculous messaging we’re bombarded w every day. The culture warrior BS. I know, I know, you alone are immune to news outlets telling you that everyone is either a criminal or a victim, and that it’s normal in a society for 1% to own half of everything and have outlandish political influence…
So you can't. I knew you wouldn't be able to. The reality is the devil is in the details. If you can't speak to the specific changes you would make you're just sharing your uniformed feelings.

You want more for profit private probation? Put every nonviolent in a scram? What? You have to be specific or it's just bullshit talk.

Haha. it basically does when you seize one of that kid’s parents for being non-violent but dumb as a box of rocks.
Oh pulease. Now who is engaging in stupid culture stereotypes? If you think the crime problem grows out of locking up non-violent offenders, you are way to naive to carry on here.

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66
So you can't. I knew you wouldn't be able to. The reality is the devil is in the details. If you can't speak to the specific changes you would make you're just sharing your uniformed feelings.

You want more for profit private probation? Put every nonviolent in a scram? What? You have to be specific or it's just bullshit talk.

no, I really can. We need to change from the punitive mindset first or the details are gonna look awfully familiar. Yuck

Oh pulease. Now who is engaging in stupid culture stereotypes? If you think the crime problem grows out of locking up non-violent offenders, you are way to naive to carry on here.

oh ya, being locked up is no big thing. Lol

jeeeeebus

If you think the crime problem grows out of locking up non-violent offenders, you are way to naive to carry on here
Here is what the Star's story I linked said, bolding mine:

Since 2000, the state’s jail population has grown by 60%, according to 2019 federal data — more than five times the state’s overall population growth. But it's not like Indiana has been overrun by hardened criminals.​

Indiana's jails are largely filled with people arrested on relatively minor charges and often related to drugs, mental illness, the inability to afford bail or a failure to follow rules of probation. They are complicated, sometimes overlapping issues, exacerbated by a drastic shortage of state psychiatric hospital beds and the transfer of thousands of state prisoners into already crowded local jails since 2014.​

Reactions: UncleMark
Here is what the Star's story I linked said, bolding mine:

That still doesn't tell us anything. Arrested on relatively minor charges...for the 5th time? Arrested on minor charges after violating probation three times? Or where they missed the third date for the probation revocation hearing? Again, I have sat through probably close to a thousand criminal dockets. Literally. People are not going to jail for first time minor offenses. Hell I can tell you by rote what you get for this stuff. Under 35 pot a fine, and amended down to nothing on your record. 1st time DWI a suspended imposition of sentence that goes away after 2 years of nonreporting probation. 2 DWI a suspended execution of sentence. No jail. Felony dwi you will do about 30 days.

All these newspapers are bs. And the idea that they are all mental patients is ridiculous. They are criminals who know what they are doing. Many are of course drug addicts. Maybe most. And I don't believe they don't know "the rules." These people are very familiar with how it all works.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT