ADVERTISEMENT

Arch’, give Lander some minutes

Then take the bet :). The way I look at it, if we are not good, the better odds he transfers. On the other hand, if IU does well I believe he will be a part of it and stay. Thats my rational and I am sticking to it! Willing to put my money where my mouth is!

If Lander transfer Archie will not be our coach in 2023. If Lander stays he will be. how much we betting!?

Miller's tenure at IU will have nothing to do with Lander leaving, and your response isn't the same argument you made above. If you want to wager against Lander and IU, go find someone else.

Lander may transfer at some point. Miller may not push the program to a higher level. They won't have much to do with each other.

Miller's tenure at IU will have nothing to do with Lander leaving, and your response isn't the same argument you made above. If you want to wager against Lander and IU, go find someone else.

Lander may transfer at some point. Miller may not push the program to a higher level. They won't have much to do with each other.

It is the same argument. I stated that Archies job depends on the status of Lander. If he transfers he will lose his job, if he doesn't he will keep it.

Miller made his bed with Lander, he got him to reclassify and publicly said he was special and gonna get thrown into the fire right away. That has not happened. 2, 3, 3, 6 minutes is end of the bench player. Just dont think that was the impression Lander had when he came here. Could be way off and he is totally on board and willing to wait and get better. You saying his camp originally wanted to skip senior year to fast track to the NBA however reinforced my opinion.

Lander may transfer at some point, and whatever he does IMO is going to set the fate of this program for the near future. If he is on the team in 2 years (or goes pro after next year somehow) IU and Miller will be in good shape. If he transfers it will be the end of Miller at IU.

Further, do you think Landers success at IU has any impact on future good/elite players. You know more than me about how HS kids look at programs an envision themselves. I would think having the kid that was ranked the best PG in America reclassify, but then transfers, would look poorly to a 5 star guard in OH about how he would fit in to IU. Am I way off base here? Just depends on the kid? Cant help that is for sure.

It is the same argument. I stated that Archies job depends on the status of Lander. If he transfers he will lose his job, if he doesn't he will keep it.

Miller made his bed with Lander, he got him to reclassify and publicly said he was special and gonna get thrown into the fire right away. That has not happened. 2, 3, 3, 6 minutes is end of the bench player. Just dont think that was the impression Lander had when he came here. Could be way off and he is totally on board and willing to wait and get better. You saying his camp originally wanted to skip senior year to fast track to the NBA however reinforced my opinion.

Lander may transfer at some point, and whatever he does IMO is going to set the fate of this program for the near future. If he is on the team in 2 years (or goes pro after next year somehow) IU and Miller will be in good shape. If he transfers it will be the end of Miller at IU.

You're spitballing and shifting your position.

Further, do you think Landers success at IU has any impact on future good/elite players.

No. Stop it.

Lander is a 17 year old high school kid without no offseason, no exhibition games ect...

If he wants to play more he needs to stop getting out of position on defense, until he does he's not going to play. Archie is a defense minded coach.

‘Lander turned 18 in August.

Reactions: Cavanagh
You're spitballing and shifting your position.

No. Stop it.

If you say so. But Im not shifting my position, been the same this entire time. Lander transfers Miller will no longer be the coach. He stays, Miller will be the coach going forward.

If you say so. But Im not shifting my position, been the same this entire time. Lander transfers Miller will no longer be the coach. He stays, Miller will be the coach going forward.

Really strange take for a guy avg less than 10mpg. I suppose if he opts for the NBA Miller will no longer have a job?

he won’t be declaring for the nba unless he averages 20 PPg the rest of the season.

Didn't you say he was an elite talent looking to get to the NBA as fast as possible and that sometimes clouds the judgement in some of these players camps? I think there's a better chance of Lander opting for the NBA than him transferring and I put both of those scenarios at less than 5%. If Lander wants minutes right away, then sure, transferring to a lower tier school makes sense. But that also hurts his chance at the NBA.

Thinking Lander's lack of minutes is an Archie thing is crazy talk. He'd average the same minutes at Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, etc this year. He's not ready to play. Clearly. No coach is going to play a kid that a) doesn't give his team a chance to win and b) doesn't earn it through practice. It's like that at all levels of organized sports, clearly something you've never been a part of from either side; playing or coaching. Thinking Archie HAS to play Lander for the sake of keeping his job or future recruiting intact is simply crazy talk. But I'd expect nothing less from you, Sean.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Didn't you say he was an elite talent looking to get to the NBA as fast as possible and that sometimes clouds the judgement in some of these players camps? I think there's a better chance of Lander opting for the NBA than him transferring and I put both of those scenarios at less than 5%. If Lander wants minutes right away, then sure, transferring to a lower tier school makes sense. But that also hurts his chance at the NBA.

Thinking Lander's lack of minutes is an Archie thing is crazy talk. He'd average the same minutes at Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, etc this year. He's not ready to play. Clearly. No coach is going to play a kid that a) doesn't give his team a chance to win and b) doesn't earn it through practice. It's like that at all levels of organized sports, clearly something you've never been a part of from either side; playing or coaching. Thinking Archie HAS to play Lander for the sake of keeping his job or future recruiting intact is simply crazy talk. But I'd expect nothing less from you, Sean.

Bloom said his camp pushed getting to the NBA as fast as possible early on, and reclassifying would be a way to do that. He needs to prove he is ready to go to the NBA and he has not had an opportunity to do that. Obviously no NBA team would draft him right now, and I am positive every one in his camp knows that.

You saying there is a better chance of him going pro than transferring after this year is where this conversation ends with me. Unless of course you want to wager on that incredibly dumb statement. He goes pro Ill give you 10k, he transfers you give me 10k. If neither happens after this year it is a push.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Bloom said his camp pushed getting to the NBA as fast as possible early on, and reclassifying would be a way to do that. He needs to prove he is ready to go to the NBA and he has not had an opportunity to do that. Obviously no NBA team would draft him right now, and I am positive every one in his camp knows that.

You saying there is a better chance of him going pro than transferring after this year is where this conversation ends with me. Unless of course you want to wager on that incredibly dumb statement. He goes pro Ill give you 10k, he transfers you give me 10k. If neither happens after this year it is a push.

Put your money where your mouth is.

What is you fascination with openly betting people you don't know on an internet message board? And I'm sure the guy who openly brags about smoking pot.....in 2021, is the last guy you'd expect to honor a bet. Good riddance Sean.

Reactions: Radio Zero
What is you fascination with openly betting people you don't know on an internet message board? And I'm sure the guy who openly brags about smoking pot.....in 2021, is the last guy you'd expect to honor a bet. Good riddance Sean.

You literally have taken the time to ask people who I am in Bloomington to obtain my first name. Ask those same people that you stalked me before if I would honor a large bet about sports.

Get back to me with your info, I am not random to you, you know exactly who I am.

Same as someone bragging about enjoying tequila or beer. It is 2021 grow up, no1 cares about pot, it will be legal everywhere within 5 years old man.

Same as someone bragging about enjoying tequila or beer. It is 2021 grow up, no1 cares about pot, it will be legal everywhere within 5 years old man.

My point exactly. It's legal in just about every other state. That's why bragging about smoking pot on a message board for Indiana athletics is about as toolbaggery as it gets. I used to brag about smoking shitty mids in college.....50 years ago. Grow up.

I'm not sure it's that simple. Lander transferring would be bad optics and certainly doesn't help AM's cause, but worse than him transferring is that it turns out he isn't our savior and/or we continue to suck through next year. Arch is not getting an extension without a decent showing this year and a good showing next. Neither of those scenarios look likely, in fact the opposite IMO

Nigel Pack is averaging 11 pts a game for K-State and shooting 41% from 3. Dre Davis is playing extremely well for Louisville. Its not that Archie focuses too much in-state. It’s that he always takes the wrong guys.

My point exactly. It's legal in just about every other state. That's why bragging about smoking pot on a message board for Indiana athletics is about as toolbaggery as it gets. I used to brag about smoking shitty mids in college.....50 years ago. Grow up.

Cool Coach Geezer, thanks for your opinion on my pot smoking.

Soooooo back to the important part of this back and forth. About me honoring bets and you making statements out your ass that you are not willing to stand behind. Go ask your people if I will honor a large bet about sports, and put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise this conversation is over.

Lander has not shown the ability to play 5 minutes without picking up 2 quick fouls. As long as that stays constant, he won't be able to see extended playing time. As for the optics.....the only place I hear any whispers of a Lander transfer are on this site, but I'll indulge for a second....it's already not very good optics when you consider that Lander will likely play less total minutes this season (barring some drastic change in current pattern) than any other "5-Star" recruit in IU history (and although I don't have the time for the research, I think he'll wind up near the bottom of the list for lowest freshman year-playing time of 5 star recruits in B1G history). Seems like a good kid with potential, but he jumped a year too early. IMHO

Doesn't help when we have upper classmen guards who still are lacking in their own 'development'. As a team our guard play is about as weak as I've ever seen an IU team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh

Soooooo back to the important part of this back and forth. About me honoring bets and you making statements out your ass that you are not willing to stand behind. Go ask your people if I will honor a large bet about sports, and put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise this conversation is over.

I'd rather donate $10k to the Purdue athletic department....

Nigel Pack is averaging 11 pts a game for K-State and shooting 41% from 3. Dre Davis is playing extremely well for Louisville. Its not that Archie focuses too much in-state. It’s that he always takes the wrong guys.

Always? Or have a couple just not worked out?

Reactions: kkott

Is it true that you can cash a check at any bar in 5 States?

Whether Archie remains the coach or not will be entirely determined by wins/losses and tournament success (or lack of) - assuming there are no ethical issues. Whether Lander is here or not has zero impact on Archie's job stability other than if Lander proves to be an asset or a liability in regard to the aforementioned factors.

Reactions: kkott
Whether Archie remains the coach or not will be entirely determined by wins/losses and tournament success (or lack of) - assuming there are no ethical issues. Whether Lander is here or not has zero impact on Archie's job stability other than if Lander proves to be an asset or a liability in regard to the aforementioned factors.

Your last sentence explains my thoughts. I believe Lander will get a chance still this season, and prove he belongs and stay, in turn we do well. However, I also see a possibility that he is not given a chance and we wind up going 8-12 and missing the tourney. Am I going out on a limb correlating the two, yep. But that is just me being me.

Change the word “will” to “should” and I agree 100%.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Lol after 2 national championships he can afford to sit a 5 star and make him transfer and go play for Alabama. Where he just put up his 3rd double digit scoring game in a row, the last to Upset top 10 Tennessee. Holy shit could you have picked another player to completely prove my point?

We cannot afford to sit a 5 star have him transfer and succeed elsewhere. That is a program killer. We have not made the tourney since Nam. Last year we had to win our last game before a pandemic to be safely in. Squarely on the bubble. We are a shitty program, we are not freaking Nova. 5 stars will stop coming here if Lander transfers. We are not good enough to allow that to happen.
If he really is as talented as the five star rating, he would play. A lot of other freshmen have come in and earned starting spots, and some haved been stars from day one, Maybe Lander's ratings were bogus? Or maybe, more likely, he just doesn't know how to play yet at this level and when he does know, he'll play.

If he really is as talented as the five star rating, he would play. A lot of other freshmen have come in and earned starting spots, and some haved been stars from day one, Maybe Lander's ratings were bogus? Or maybe, more likely, he just doesn't know how to play yet at this level and when he does know, he'll play.

thats awesome, but you don’t think it’s a real possibility that he starts playing at that level next year at another school?

thats awesome, but you don’t think it’s a real possibility that he starts playing at that level next year at another school?

If Lander can't beat out Durham and Phinisee of all guards for playing time, where and the hell else is he going to go that gives him a shot at the NBA? This is not an Archie problem; this is a Lander problem. Archie has shown his willingness to play freshman so long as they understand his system. Phinisee started as a true freshman. Romeo came in and was immediately IU's best player. Hell, Trey Galloway a much less heralded guard is getting significant run this year.

Last edited:
He may be much better next year with a year under his belt, but if he'd be playing well elsewhere, it could be here too. I think what controls his quality of play and time on the court, at least at IU, is what's happening outside of games, not inside.

If Lander can't beat out Durham and Phinisee of all guards for playing time, where and the hell else is he going to go that gives him a shot at the NBA? This is not an Archie problem; this is a Lander problem. Archie has shown his willingness to play freshman so long as the understand his system. Phinisee started as a true freshman. Romeo came in and was immediately IU's best player. Hell, Trey Galloway a much less heralded guard is getting significant run this year.

Ok Geezer, since you are dense as a rock. If Lander, Rob and Al were on Iowa's roster Lander would play above all of them, same goes for UK, LOU, and a lot of teams. If they played for Virginia it would prob look similar.

Archie is one of maybe 5 power 5 coaches that is completely concerned with defense. Everything is centered around defense. You could be a pretty good offensive talent and you will still not play unless you can play defense. Trey is beefy and is easily the best defender of the freshmen, that is why he plays.

Is Lander cool taking the I need evolve and get good at D route? Or is he like normal 18 year olds that have been told they are God since 12 and want court time imiedatley. I have no idea. But to dismiss the fact that he is being held back here, where he could easily be on the court at many other programs, is just flat retarded.

Ok Geezer, since you are dense as a rock. If Lander, Rob and Al were on Iowa's roster Lander would play above all of them, same goes for UK, LOU, and a lot of teams. If they played for Virginia it would prob look similar.

Archie is one of maybe 5 power 5 coaches that is completely concerned with defense. Everything is centered around defense. You could be a pretty good offensive talent and you will still not play unless you can play defense. Trey is beefy and is easily the best defender of the freshmen, that is why he plays.

Is Lander cool taking the I need evolve and get good at D route? Or is he like normal 18 year olds that have been told they are God since 12 and want court time imiedatley. I have no idea. But to dismiss the fact that he is being held back here, where he could easily be on the court at many other programs, is just flat retarded.

Lander wouldn't see 5 minutes on any of those teams this year. Have you watched him play this year? He has no clue what he's doing defensively at this level and his offense is almost as bad. There isn't a coach in America that factors a players recruiting rank in their decision making when it comes to playing time. And ones that do, are no longer employed. You've clearly never been a part of organized sports in your life.

Reactions: MrBing
Lander wouldn't see 5 minutes on any of those teams this year. Have you watched him play this year? He has no clue what he's doing defensively at this level and his offense is almost as bad. There isn't a coach in America that factors a players recruiting rank in their decision making when it comes to playing time. And ones that do, are no longer employed. You've clearly never been a part of organized sports in your life.

If you replaced the guards on UK IOWA or LOU with the three I named Lander would get the nod over all of them.

Rob would never play for UK, he would never see the court. He would not play for almost all top 25 teams. He is the worst offensive guard in the big ten. He is not a power 5 guard. In Archies system he is exactly what he is looking for on the defensive end and he lives with him on offense. Again, because Archie is an extreme defensive coach. Most of the other programs, and for sure Iowan and UK are more concerned with offense and a free flowing environment. One where Lander would flourish and Rob would never play in.

Lander chose a school that is centered around defense, many programs are not. He might look elsewhere.

Not 1979 anymore Geezer, might wanna just enjoy retirement and stop trying to understand todays college basketball game.

If you replaced the guards on UK IOWA or LOU with the three I named Lander would get the nod over all of them.

Rob would never play for UK, he would never see the court. He would not play for almost all top 25 teams. He is the worst offensive guard in the big ten. He is not a power 5 guard. In Archies system he is exactly what he is looking for on the defensive end and he lives with him on offense. Again, because Archie is an extreme defensive coach. Most of the other programs, and for sure Iowan and UK are more concerned with offense and a free flowing environment. One where Lander would flourish and Rob would never play in.

Lander chose a school that is centered around defense, many programs are not. He might look elsewhere.

Not 1979 anymore Geezer, might wanna just enjoy retirement and stop trying to understand todays college basketball game.

Sean...I've forgotten more basketball than you'll ever understand. Crack is not a good look for you. in 1979, Knight would have Lander playing for the JV team. Do your homework son.

Sean...I've forgotten more basketball than you'll ever understand. Crack is not a good look for you. in 1979, Knight would have Lander playing for the JV team. Do your homework son.

Good comeback. Next time tag the video of the egg frying in the pan. This is your brain on drugs. I bet you were a big supporter of that. Cant fix stupid. Carry on old man.

Cant fix stupid.

You keep saying that but in the context of your posts it sounds as if QED is your surname.

Lander just isn't ready. Yet. Not for B10 level of play. Go back and watch some tape - he's constantly out of position on defense. And since IU is very much playing Team Defense, that blows up 50% of the Team's game. Given IU's current offensive travails, that's just too much of a liability and one that Miller & Team just cannot afford.

Every Game from here on out is likely to be a grind and low single digit margins the norm rather than the exception. IU/Miller want/need to win - when KL begins showing that he's a net asset as opposed to a liability he'll see more of the Floor, but until then, he's almost lucky to be getting the minutes he is. Given the likely negative effect on the Team and his youthful psyche, force-feeding him minutes at present would be far worse than the current circumstance. Just relax - KL's time will come and at least in this respect Coach Miller is playing it as he should.

Reactions: MrBing
I just took a glance at the schedule...the rest of January is brutal for IU. Will have to pick it up asap or they're be lucky to be above .500 on Feb 1.

Here was a post I made on 12/19 (my assumption on minny/nw being bottom 5 may be a little off, but directionally accurate, MSU/IU have toughest conference schedule if you agree with bottom 5 premise). Michigan obviously deserves consideration for winning conference vs my IU comparison at that time:)

12/19

It seems pretty clear the bottom 5 teams in the conference are (Neb, NW, Minn, Mary, PSU).

The unbalanced schedules in the conference lead to some discrepancies against these "Bottom 5" as well as one-time matchups, on paper seems to benefit certain teams vs. others?

(# of games vs. Bottom 5) and 1-time matchups

Illinois (9): @MSU, Iowa, Mich.
Wisconsin (9): @MSU, IU, @OSU
Michigan (9): Rut, @Ill, Iowa, @OSU, @PU
Purdue (9): Mich, @Iowa, Wisc
Rutgers (8): @Mich, Ill
OSU (7): Mich, Wisc, IU
Iowa (7): @Ill, @Mich, PU
MSU (6): Ill, Wisc
IU (6): @Wisc, @OSU

Illinois/Wisconsin seem to have a clear advantage over MSU/Iowa
Michigan seems to have an advantage over Indiana (in the middle tier)

Rutgers and OSU seem to have favorable home/away for their non-bottom 5 matchups

Since, predictions for conference standings/records will likely be happening over the next few days, thought this would be helpful information (recognizing a few

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT