ADVERTISEMENT

Arch’, give Lander some minutes

Never said he couldn’t develop, only that he’s not ready to play at this level, in spite of Miller’s preseason comments to the contrary.

You don’t think Miller realizes he’s not ready? He’s not playing him for a reason.

It’s a free year this year eligibility wise and most players tend to get better with age. The idea that Lander can’t or won’t develop during his time at IU is absurd. But agree, he can’t be on the court unless out of absolute necessity.

You're assuming he doesn't transfer.

I will never have hard feelings for an 18 year olds decision to do what they think is in their best interest, but if Lander thinks a change of scenery is the only thing holding him back he's in for a rude awakening.

Dude he is stuck in 1979, and if someone transfers, they just don't have the ol gumption to cut it at IU.

He has not one clue about todays environment of college basketball and does not care if the program suffers because of it.

Just get some good kids to graduate and give it 100%. That is all he needs.

People like him are the reason this program sucks donkey balls and hasn't won at Wisconsin since I have been a teenager. That is ****ing insane, I am 35!!!!!

Let’s see where Lander is. Give him two 6 minute stretches, more if he’s playing ok. Establish a live game baseline. It’s crazy the way he plays 1 or 2 minutes and is out. Leal provided steady minutes tonight, but he gave up back to back 3’s by being late to cover his man, and Archie allowed him to keep stay in the game. This Lander thing and Archie is weird! Go Hoosier!
Lander isn't strong enough to defend against older stronger guards, and I don't know if he has the build to add weight and muscle. If I were playing against him and had a 6'3'' Guard, I would clear out the middle and post him up every possession. He isn't strong enough or experienced enough to defend it.
From what I have seen of him, he is very quick, but plays out of control, and takes some wild shots. He needs to slow things down so the other 4 guys have a better sense of what he is doing and can play with him more cohesively.

Dude he is stuck in 1979, and if someone transfers, they just don't have the ol gumption to cut it at IU.

He has not one clue about todays environment of college basketball and does not care if the program suffers because of it.

Just get some good kids to graduate and give it 100%. That is all he needs.

People like him are the reason this program sucks donkey balls and hasn't won at Wisconsin since I have been a teenager. I am that is ****ing insane I am 35!!!!!

A lay person is the reason why IU hasn't won in the Kohl Center in 23 years? LOL, thanks for the early morning laugh Sean. Any one who thinks anything said on this board impacts the on-court results of this basketball team needs to have their heads examined.

Lander isn't strong enough to defend against older stronger guards, and I don't know if he has the build to add weight and muscle. If I were playing against him and had a 6'3'' Guard, I would clear out the middle and post him up every possession. He isn't strong enough or experienced enough to defend it.
From what I have seen of him, he is very quick, but plays out of control, and takes some wild shots. He needs to slow things down so the other 4 guys have a better sense of what he is doing and can play with him more cohesively.

Should have played a lot more against the shitty non con, even if we lost to Providence or Butler because of it, would have payed dividends now.

A lay person is the reason why IU hasn't won in the Kohl Center in 23 years? LOL, thanks for the early morning laugh Sean. Any one who thinks anything said on this board impacts the on-court results of this basketball team needs to have their heads examined.

So not only are you stuck in 1979 but you are stupid too. Makes sense. "People like you". Please dont get that twisted. You have absolutely nothing to do with the programs demise, lol, god you are dense.

Unfortunately, a lot of IU admin has had the same views as you over the years and treats IU as a Ivy League school in their own mind. They don't put winning as paramount. They have other values that they hold in high regard for no reason and is 100% the reason we are where we are today. IU hired a top 10 coach in college basketball, turned him in for phone calls, and let him go.

You to this day will say Sampson is scum, people at IU felt the same. If we still had Sampson we would have a few final fours and a natty by now.

Coach K let Ziojn get payed to come to Duke, Archie went along with Romeo getting payed to come to IU.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Should have played a lot more against the shitty non con, even if we lost to Providence or Butler because of it, would have payed dividends now.
I just don't see how you can lay this at the feet of anyone but Lander. Earning minutes with our guards, especially with Franklin out, should be simple, especially with someone with Lander's talent (and I'm not counting him as a 5*, which he obviously wasn't). But any somewhat competent shooter/ball handler would be getting double digit minutes just by listening to the coach and doing what's asked. I don't want to see him transfer, but I'm totally against "giving" minutes to anyone. Earn them, plain and simple... and with our guard situation, it should be pretty simple!

I just don't see how you can lay this at the feet of anyone but Lander. Earning minutes with our guards, especially with Franklin out, should be simple, especially with someone with Lander's talent (and I'm not counting him as a 5*, which he obviously wasn't). But any somewhat competent shooter/ball handler would be getting double digit minutes just by listening to the coach and doing what's asked. I don't want to see him transfer, but I'm totally against "giving" minutes to anyone. Earn them, plain and simple... and with our guard situation, it should be pretty simple!

Why the F did he come here then? Is this not on Archie? Granted yes there is a possibility that they are on the same page and always have been that we are gonna develop you and its gonna take time..... but shit what is that 5%?

Archie praised him pre season, super special, gonna get a ton of time, thrown to the wolves, all these BS quotes. Bloom said yesterday to me that a big reason initially to skip senior year was to get to the NBA faster. It doesnt add up. Watch him after he gets his standard 2-4 minutes in the first half. He went to the back of the bench and gripped his towel on his neck like an AP hand shake for 30 straight minutes. Dude is frustrated. If he leaves it is gonna kill us. We have no ball handlers on this team other than him and our recruiting is worse than creans last year. This ship is sinking my man.

Why the F did he come here then? Is this not on Archie? Granted yes there is a possibility that they are on the same page and always have been that we are gonna develop you and its gonna take time..... but shit what is that 5%?

Archie praised him pre season, super special, gonna get a ton of time, thrown to the wolves, all these BS quotes. Bloom said yesterday to me that a big reason initially to skip senior year was to get to the NBA faster. It doesnt add up. Watch him after he gets his standard 2-4 minutes in the first half. He went to the back of the bench and gripped his towel on his neck like an AP hand shake for 30 straight minutes. Dude is frustrated. If he leaves it is gonna kill us. We have no ball handlers on this team other than him and our recruiting is worse than creans last year. This ship is sinking my man.

Lander being on the court kills IU. Plain and simple.

Rob on the court makes IU mediocre plain and simple.

We are not gonna be elite with him on the court. Since IU should not settle for mediocre it should take the gamble and see what Lander does. If it costs them to lose by 30 to Wisconsin, well they both count as L's. in 10 years no1 is gonna remember this loss as well they almost pulled it out.

Should have started Lander at the start of the season. Probably a lost cause at this point, he has 0 confidence. Who would? Hey you get 2 minutes to show me what you got, no matter what, you won't see the floor the rest of the night. Ya sounds like a recipe for success to me. I am sure he wouldn't get into a flow and look much better after extended playing time. .....

Cant fix stupid!!!!!

I don't think I've ever seen an IU player take 3 worse shots in a very short period of pt than Lander did last night.

That said, I saw some hope in his game based on quickness, ball handling and passing. Nothing dramatic on the passing, but some slick little passes. That said, his time on the court was a disaster given the 3 terrible shots.

You can't play a guy who is not competent at the game of college basketball major minutes to sooth his feelings. It would destroy the morale of the rest of the team.

Reactions: Krafty97grad
I don't think I've ever seen an IU player take 3 worse shots in a very short period of pt than Lander did last night.

That said, I saw some hope in his game based on quickness, ball handling and passing. Nothing dramatic on the passing, but some slick little passes. That said, his time on the court was a disaster given the 3 terrible shots.

You can definitely tell he has some natural ability and that's what gives me hope for the future. But he's not ready. Not even close. He should be playing at Reitz right now.

Well when you know you literally only have 2-4 minutes a game to prove what ya got, and you are 18 and a 5 star. You think shit I got to make this count!!! I mean pretty obvious to me.

Those 3 awful shots were they as bad as Robs prayer 1st heavily contested shot, his airball by about 2 feet, or his wide open clank to be a pivotal and probable game winning three in OT?

You can't play a guy who is not competent at the game of college basketball major minutes to sooth his feelings. It would destroy the morale of the rest of the team.

You're arguing with a brainless hack who thinks playing time is rewarded based on a recruiting ranking awarded by someone like Brian Snow. I like Brian Snow's analysis and think he's a strong writer, but Lander right now is closer in readiness to a player at DePauw or Wabash than someone in the B10.

Nothing dramatic on the passing, but some slick little passes.

You really need to watch Rob pass the ball and then watch Lander. Night and day. Rob is a horrid passer and post feeder. Lander does it without thinking and puts in the perfect spot often. Lander also makes some stupid passes, but hey his a freshmen, and needs to learn what passes he can and cannot make at this level, because it is not HS anymore. Needs PT to do that, again should have got way more and taken some Ls early if we had to.

Rob on the other hand has started and played 25+ mins in almost every game he has played, and iat this point how the hell can anyone not say he is a shitty passer. Horrid! Couldn't hit TJD multiple times last night a few resulting in TJD getting pissed and yelling.

Trust me, I get being frustrated, but you're grasping at straws. Reverse it: what possible benefit to CAM is there for not playing him? He wants, and as you point out, may need him, to succeed. The only thing that makes sense is that Archie has laid out a few basic tenets of what it will take to get on the court and Lander is not meeting those. Archie is paid millions to do his job; you think he isn't already aware every point you are making... and he still isn't playing him why? Come up with any reasonable explanation at all, and I might consider it, but there is no good reason for KL not to be playing other than he's not doing what the Coach is asking. And with our guard situation, that can't be much. Playing someone out of hopelessness is never going to work, and that's what your argument seems to be.

You scapegoated Brunk over the summer and never wanted him to play. Now you're getting that wish, and I'll bet even you see that we need him. If he's available last night, I am confident we get the W. Now you're scapegoating RP. I agree, he is not starting PG material on a B10 roster, but I think most B10 teams would welcome him as a backup and that's his (and Al's) real role on a decent team at this level. It's on Archie that he hasn't put together a roster to allow that, but at this point in the season, they are both going to get minutes because we have limited options and they do more of what Archie is asking, especially on the defensive end.

Last edited:
Reactions: mushroomgod_1
Trust me, I get being frustrated, but you're grasping at straws. Reverse it: what possible benefit to CAM is there for not playing him? He wants, and as you point out, may need him, to succeed. The only thing that makes sense is that Archie has laid out a few basic tenets of what it will take to get on the court and Lander is not meeting those. Archie is paid millions to do his job; you think he doesn't already every point you are making... and he still isn't playing him why? Come up with any reasonable explanation at all, and I might consider it, but there is no good reason for KL not to be playing other than he's not doing what the Coach is asking. And with our guard situation, that can't be much. Playing someone out of hopelessness is never going to work, and that's what your argument seems to be.

No I think it is really simple why Lander isn't playing and thought I made it painfully obvious. Rob is an elite big ten defender. Archie 100% values defense over offense. Lander is the worst guard defender on the team. He cant get on the court because of his D. He isn't horrid tho on D. He is the worst on our team but it is elite. Him and TJD got caught on a pick and roll with Potter. Potter caught it for a wide open lay up, That is on TJD he should have left the guard and rolled back on Potter. Lander needs to be stronger or quicker to get around that pick, and not force TJD to hedge out as much, but Lander was able to recover quick enough that he would have contested the shot. Anyway's in 2-4 minutes you just need to see more. He got a steal, he is our quickest player and can make things happen just by being him. We dont have anyone like that.

His O trade off to D is way worth it, because he has the ability to be an elite defender, just needs to learn and get thrown to the wolves like Archie said was going to happen. Let him get burned and learn. He is smart he will.

Leal got the same 2-4 min a game until tonight. He looked awful before but really came into his own tonight (I say tonight cause I just got home from work and watched the game). He got a lot more minutes tonight because he did something with them. Lander needs to do something with his min. You can say it's a confidence thing for lander but Leal got the exact same treatment and did something with it.

Playing someone out of hopelessness is never going to work, and that's what your argument seems to be.

It's an argument made by one who has only played/coach organized sports in which a "quarter rule" is implented where every kid on the team is required to play a certain number of quarters/plays. You see this at the rec-league and church levels of organized sports under the age of 12.

Reactions: Willray
His O trade off to D is way worth it, because he has the ability to be an elite defender, just needs to learn and get thrown to the wolves like Archie said was going to happen. Let him get burned and learn. He is smart he will.

Lander literally has the worst offensive rating of any B10 scholarship player this year sans Ethan Morton. There is no trade off there.

Leal got the same 2-4 min a game until tonight. He looked awful before but really came into his own tonight (I say tonight cause I just got home from work and watched the game). He got a lot more minutes tonight because he did something with them. Lander needs to do something with his min. You can say it's a confidence thing for lander but Leal got the exact same treatment and did something with it.

Leal got those chances because of Jerome and Race being in foul trouble. Frankly tho, he should have got more play earlier as well. I love leal and his effort and commitment off the court are second to none.

Lander literally has the worst offensive rating of any B10 scholarship player this year sans Ethan Morton. There is no trade off there.

When experts use statistics (100% not talking about your dumbass) they always take in to count a minimum threshold. Landers minutes do not qualify for any ratings because he has played 18 minutes in big ten play over 5 games......

When experts use statistics (100% not talking about your dumbass) they always take in to count a minimum threshold. Landers minutes do not qualify for any ratings because he has played 18 minutes in big ten play over 5 games......

And surely there's a reason for those 18 minutes......

You really need to watch Rob pass the ball and then watch Lander. Night and day. Rob is a horrid passer and post feeder. Lander does it without thinking and puts in the perfect spot often. Lander also makes some stupid passes, but hey his a freshmen, and needs to learn what passes he can and cannot make at this level, because it is not HS anymore. Needs PT to do that, again should have got way more and taken some Ls early if we had to.

Rob on the other hand has started and played 25+ mins in almost every game he has played, and iat this point how the hell can anyone not say he is a shitty passer. Horrid! Couldn't hit TJD multiple times last night a few resulting in TJD getting pissed and yelling.

I do like his passing. I would call them 'slick little passes', as they are subtle.

I believe he would have played more minutes if he hadn't taken 3 horrendous shots in a very short period of time. You can't keep him in there at that point.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Let’s see where Lander is. Give him two 6 minute stretches, more if he’s playing ok. Establish a live game baseline. It’s crazy the way he plays 1 or 2 minutes and is out. Leal provided steady minutes tonight, but he gave up back to back 3’s by being late to cover his man, and Archie allowed him to keep stay in the game. This Lander thing and Archie is weird! Go Hoosier!

A few things on this, 1st I turned the game on and we were up 11-9, Lander on the floor and 1st 2 (or 2 of 1st 3 or 4 but irrelevant) a few of his defensive errors had us down and he threw up 2 horrible shots that were not close.

As for Leal being late on the closeouts, true, but it was a kid who was 8-37 in his career from 3. I think you want to be slow closing out on 20% career 3 pt shooters, no reason to run them off the line.

I do like his passing. I would call them 'slick little passes', as they are subtle.

I believe he would have played more minutes if he hadn't taken 3 horrendous shots in a very short period of time. You can't keep him in there at that point.

oh 100% not a good showing. No arguing that. If he would have played more early he would be better now.

oh 100% not a good showing. No arguing that. If he would have played more early he would be better now.
He didn’t play earlier, can’t change that. Therefore, against the upper echelon of the conference he should only see the floor if IU is in extreme foul trouble or another guard is injured, or until his practice merits the time.

He didn’t play earlier, can’t change that. Therefore, against the upper echelon of the conference he should only see the floor if IU is in extreme foul trouble or another guard is injured, or until his practice merits the time.

He did play earlier though. He played double-digit minutes in 4 of IU's first 6 games. He had one good game against a terrible North Alabama team but has looked lost just about every time he steps on the court. I hate disparaging an IU basketball player, but Lander simply isn't ready for this level of play yet.

Reactions: Krafty97grad

Also, winning games this season, especially road games against teams like Wisconsin will assist recruiting more than showcasing a single player struggling through the season whose team is losing a ton of games. He only played because Franklin was injured so the depth combos at the 1-3 were impacted, exacerbated by Hunter (who started as the 3)/race picking up 2 each early and Galloway having an off night.

He did play earlier though. He played double-digit minutes in 4 of IU's first 6 games. He had one good game against a terrible North Alabama team but has looked lost just about every time he steps on the court. I hate disparaging an IU basketball player, but Lander simply isn't ready for this level of play yet.

No he didn't. He has never played 20 mins in his career. On the other hand Rob came to IU as a freshmen started his first 10 games and never played under 20 mins averaging over 25 mins a game.

Lander should have started and played 25 mins a game from the jump. Maybe we would have a worse record right now. But our record going forward would be better. This team is a 8-12 team not playing him, you good with that?

No he didn't. He has never played 20 mins in his career. On the other hand Rob came to IU as a freshmen started his first 10 games and averaged a tad over 30 mins a game.

He didn't play double-digit minutes in 4 of their first 6 games?

Tennesse Tech-14
Providence-9
Texas-16
Stanford-18
Florida State-7
North Alabama-17

Which part of my statement is inaccurate? Rob started as a freshman because Rob was semi-competent on the offensive end and had a firm grasp of Archie's defensive scheme, none of which Lander can stake claim. Freshman Rob is better than Lander to the point its not comparable. Freshman Lander is about as ready for big boy basketball as Peter Jurkin and Bawa Maniru were.

He didn't play double-digit minutes in 4 of their first 6 games?

Tennesse Tech-14
Providence-9
Texas-16
Stanford-18
Florida State-7
North Alabama-17

Which part of my statement is inaccurate? Rob started as a freshman because Rob was semi-competent on the offensive end and had a firm grasp of Archie's defensive scheme, none of which Lander can stake claim. Freshman Rob is better than Lander to the point its not comparable. Freshman Lander is about as ready for big boy basketball as Peter Jurkin and Bawa Maniru were.

God you are dense I am done with you, I was not saying he did not play double digit minutes, we both have access to this new utility of the internet,...... He did play early tho is what you said, not playing 20 mins once is not getting playing time. Playing 20 mins + in every game is getting playing time.

No more time for you. Cant fix stupid. Ive wasted enough.

God you are dense I am done with you, I was not saying he did not play double digit minutes, we both have access to this new utility of the internet,...... He did play early tho is what you said, not playing 20 mins once is not getting playing time. Playing 20 mins + in every game is getting playing time.

No more time for you. Cant fix stupid. Ive wasted enough.

Double-digit minutes for a player that should be playing in high school is plenty. He shouldn't be playing at all.

To be fair, Aloha has been attacked here for his opinions on a daily basis.
The guy said he’s not long for this world so I let him rant. Maybe that’s “enjoyable” to him and everyone should try to enjoy every day they have left as much as they can.

The only reason KL's time is an issue for some is because
If he would have played more early he would be better now.

This is what's known as a non-sequitur analysis as there is zip to support this apart from your opinion. Leal didn't play earlier but he's not lost on D and has a shot to boot. Geronimo has logged fewer minutes and he's not nearly (as) lost on D or jacking up garbage. Galloway has played a ton and yet last night he just didn't have game. Lander does need to play to get better, but that principally needs to happen in practice before the larger prospect of Team success is sacrificed in the entirely subjective hope that floor-time will magically translate into intelligent play.

Just look at the veteran IU Players you're trashing who have played significant minutes and yet continue to make the same mistakes they made as freshmen. Experience does not automatically lead to improvement. You can assert that KL just needs playing time to improve but the only thing it guarantees at this point is that it becomes much harder for IU to win games. Everyone needs the chance to learn from their mistakes - KL has made plenty and keeps making the same ones over and over without any apparent improvement. At this point am almost wondering about his GPA and whether he's smart enough for D1 Hoops because am not seeing any change/improvement in decision-making and execution. None.

Every game Miller gives him the chance and every time he demonstrates that he's a liability and out of his depth. But this is stupid. Go ahead and believe that because he was projected as a 5-star prospect in the 2021 class (not 2020) that he deserves special treatment at the expense of other Players and the Team, or that IU's long-term success is better served by needlessly tanking games in the faint hope that this will pay dividends down the road without blowing up Team chemistry.

Scalping tickets may not require a great deal of native intelligence but it doesn't appear to contribute much along the lines of objectivity or wisdom either. It may well be that one "can't fix' stupid", but ignorance is largely volitional. Seems a poor choice.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Trust me, I get being frustrated, but you're grasping at straws. Reverse it: what possible benefit to CAM is there for not playing him? He wants, and as you point out, may need him, to succeed. The only thing that makes sense is that Archie has laid out a few basic tenets of what it will take to get on the court and Lander is not meeting those. Archie is paid millions to do his job; you think he isn't already aware every point you are making... and he still isn't playing him why? Come up with any reasonable explanation at all, and I might consider it, but there is no good reason for KL not to be playing other than he's not doing what the Coach is asking. And with our guard situation, that can't be much. Playing someone out of hopelessness is never going to work, and that's what your argument seems to be.

You scapegoated Brunk over the summer and never wanted him to play. Now you're getting that wish, and I'll bet even you see that we need him. If he's available last night, I am confident we get the W. Now you're scapegoating RP. I agree, he is not starting PG material on a B10 roster, but I think most B10 teams would welcome him as a backup and that's his (and Al's) real role on a decent team at this level. It's on Archie that he hasn't put together a roster to allow that, but at this point in the season, they are both going to get minutes because we have limited options and they do more of what Archie is asking, especially on the defensive end.
I agree with this. If he could help the team, he’d be playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT