ADVERTISEMENT

Apparently MN Gov. Walz is Seeking Federal Disaster Funding for the Riots and Looting

JamieDimonsBalls

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2015
EDITED: Star Tribune is pay only, here's a St. Cloud outlet

https://knsiradio.com/news/local-news/minnesota-asks-federal-disaster-declaration

Minnesota is asking for federal help to rebuild after riots caused millions of dollars worth of damage in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Nearly 1,500 Twin Cities businesses were damaged by vandalism, fire, or looting. Current estimates of the damage exceed $500,000,000.

Governor Tim Walz requested help on Thursday from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help the state rebuild after civil unrest damaged public infrastructure and caused extensive fire damage in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

Over 10,000 public safety officials contributed to the effort to restore peace and safety, including the first full mobilization of the Minnesota National Guard since World War II.

The Governor is requesting that the President “declare a major disaster for the State of Minnesota because of extensive fire damage to public infrastructure caused by civil unrest.”

A preliminary damage assessment found more than $15 million of eligible damages directly related to the fires.

Federal assistance would reimburse local governments for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and damage to public buildings and equipment.

https://knsiradio.com/news/local-news/minnesota-asks-federal-disaster-declaration

Minnesota is asking for federal help to rebuild after riots caused millions of dollars worth of damage in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Nearly 1,500 Twin Cities businesses were damaged by vandalism, fire, or looting. Current estimates of the damage exceed $500,000,000.

Governor Tim Walz requested help on Thursday from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help the state rebuild after civil unrest damaged public infrastructure and caused extensive fire damage in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

Over 10,000 public safety officials contributed to the effort to restore peace and safety, including the first full mobilization of the Minnesota National Guard since World War II.

The Governor is requesting that the President “declare a major disaster for the State of Minnesota because of extensive fire damage to public infrastructure caused by civil unrest.”

A preliminary damage assessment found more than $15 million of eligible damages directly related to the fires.

Federal assistance would reimburse local governments for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and damage to public buildings and equipment.

So let your community run amuck and then ask for the government (the rest of the tax paying public) to pay for the damages. Sounds about right, maybe MN should clean up their own back yard with their own money?

They should start by reallocating the funds used for police Batman armour costumes and 5K mountain bikes.

They should start by reallocating the funds used for police Batman armour costumes and 5K mountain bikes.
They should probably do away with law enforcement and use that money, I'm sure then the next time they need funding to repair the continued issues they can look for federal government help.

So let your community run amuck and then ask for the government (the rest of the tax paying public) to pay for the damages. Sounds about right, maybe MN should clean up their own back yard with their own money?

It's a pathetic request

Some cities need to get a hell of a lot tougher on crime. The CEO of the third largest co in Stl, Centene, just announced that if the city and county doesn’t reduce crime he could relocate to Charlotte. They can’t get people to move here for work. Centene has invested an obscene amount of money in town. It would be devastating if they relocated.

How do you figure that?

Let's compare the damage done to Seattle vs Minneapolis when it's all said and done.

Two cities took two different tacts.

In Minneapolis, the first thing people saw from what was being reported were cops standing on top of buildings picking off protesters like Amon Goeth in Schindler's List....escalating that it was a war.

Seattle got out of the way and formed an opportunity zone and it became more like the occupy wall street tea party movement.

Granted Minneapolis was the epicenter but the police's initial reaction led to the violence in the cities across the country and then across the world so....you can make an argument that the police have some liability.

Let's compare the damage done to Seattle vs Minneapolis when it's all said and done.

In Minneapolis, the first thing people saw from what was being reported were cops standing on top of buildings picking off protesters like Amon Goeth in Schindler's List....escalating that it was a war.

Seattle got out of the way and formed an opportunity zone and it became more like the occupy wall street tea party movement.

Granted Minneapolis was the epicenter but the police's initial reaction led to the violence in the cities across the country and then across the world so....you can make an argument that the police have some liability.
What exactly is an "opportunity zone"? lol Isn't America the entire land of opportunity?

Why did the opportunity zone cease? I honestly stopped watching that foolishness about 1 day in to it.

That was not a good look but it started when the “peaceful protestors” attacked the police station.

What exactly is an "opportunity zone"? lol Isn't America the entire land of opportunity?

Why did the opportunity zone cease? I honestly stopped watching that foolishness about 1 day in to it.

My bad, I meant Autonomous Zone.

It's basically a designated area given to protesters without much interference in return for keeping the protests within the zone.

Which leads to the crys of 'Occupy ______'

My bad, I meant Autonomous Zone.

It's basically a designated area given to protesters without much interference in return for keeping the protests within the zone.

Which leads to the crys of 'Occupy ______'
LOL it went about as expected. Lawless and brutal with murders, shootings, robberies, property destruction...according to the black police chief. cities need to get a hell of a lot tougher on crime. legalize drugs and crack down hard on violent and property crime. if they have to triple the police force to do it, so be it. less cops will absolutely not work. it's only creating more de facto autonomous zones. and "social workers" won't do squat with the gangs. more and better trained cops. the ceo of the second largest public company in missouri is saying now that if crime doesn't improve in stl they will relocate to Charlotte. that would be devastating if it happens.

at the same time dump money into these depressed areas. better everything: schools, agencies, and create real opportunities for jobs, vocational careers, education, waive down payments for property ownership and relax credit-based qualifications... then who knows maybe in 20 years places crippled with crime will improve, and the lot of many lives will be better.

but it's going to take both imo. tougher on crime and money for change.

Last edited:

have you not been following the violence and destruction in Seattle?

either way, the point is that Walz request is an embarrassment

Reactions: mcmurtry66
have you not been following the violence and destruction in Seattle?

either way, the point is that Walz request is an embarrassment

I know that Fox News is painting it as pure hell. They were even busted doctoring pics of so called anarchists.

The other two weren't painting such a living hell nightmare.

It wasn't until about a week ago when there was a shooting that the major told them to go.

I honestly haven't heard much about it since if massive riots broke out and the national guard had to come in a start shooting.

Like I said, let's measure the fatalities, the injuries and the property damage between Minneapolis, DC, New York, Louisville and then Seattle.

I'm betting that Seattle is going to come in way under on the carnage numbers (but don't know).

LOL it went about as expected. Lawless and brutal with murders, shootings, robberies, property destruction...according to the black police chief. cities need to get a hell of a lot tougher on crime. legalize drugs and crack down hard on violent and property crime. if they have to triple the police force to do it, so be it. less cops will absolutely not work. it's only creating more de facto autonomous zones. and "social workers" won't do squat with the gangs. more and better trained cops. the ceo of the second largest public company in missouri is saying now that if crime doesn't improve in stl they will relocate to Charlotte. that would be devastating if it happens.

at the same time dump money into these depressed areas. better everything: schools, agencies, and create real opportunities for jobs, vocational careers, education, waive down payments for property ownership and relax credit-based qualifications... then who knows maybe in 20 years places crippled with crime will improve, and the lot of many lives will be better.

but it's going to take both imo. tougher on crime and money for change.

From what I can find there were four shootings, two from anti-protesters (one guy drove a car into the protest and shot a dude in the arm and then another shot a black kid where the shooter had connections with the Kkk).

The police chief was publically pissed that she was told to leave so.

Plus is she interviewed on any where else other than Fox?

Remember Fox was busted a couple of time lying about their coverage.

I try to catch all three and MSNBC and CNN were saying it was relatively peaceful but if I turned on Fox it was Armageddon.

I'd like to see the comparable numbers between cities that used rubber bullets and tear gas VS Chaz (along with property damage info).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...ally-going-on-in-seattles-protest-zone-321507

From what I can find there were four shootings, two from anti-protesters (one guy drove a car into the protest and shot a dude in the arm and then another shot a black kid where the shooter had connections with the Kkk).

The police chief was publically pissed that she was told to leave so.

Plus is she interviewed on any where else other than Fox?

Remember Fox was busted a couple of time lying about their coverage.

I try to catch all three and MSNBC and CNN were saying it was relatively peaceful but if I turned on Fox it was Armageddon.

I'd like to see the comparable numbers between cities that used rubber bullets and tear gas VS Chaz (along with property damage info).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...ally-going-on-in-seattles-protest-zone-321507
Two murders, four shootings, multiple armed robberies, aggravated assaults, and on and on in terms of violent crime calls/reports to the police. Seattle apparently saw a 525 percent jump in crime for the month of June. The foregoing can be found in a ten second google search from multiple stories.

There are a lot of people all over the country who commit crimes. Seattle isn’t immune. It sounds like they found their way to chop. The second largest company in MO is threatening to relocate to Charlotte if Stl doesn’t do a better job of catching bad guys. And that’s what they are: bad people.

The idea that a cop free zone would end in any other way is fantasyland. If we’re going to talk about police reform and making changes to improve black lives the discussion needs to include crime and the responsibility of the black community to take part in helping fight crime. Crime is destroying too many cities.

Last edited:
The protests in Minneapolis aren't just about the cops in Minneapolis. If the money was taken from the Minneapolis cops' pension fund, they'd be paying for the sins of cops all over America.
Who do we rob to pay for your sins?

The protests in Minneapolis aren't just about the cops in Minneapolis. If the money was taken from the Minneapolis cops' pension fund, they'd be paying for the sins of cops all over America.

tenor.gif

I know that Fox News is painting it as pure hell. They were even busted doctoring pics of so called anarchists.

The other two weren't painting such a living hell nightmare.

It wasn't until about a week ago when there was a shooting that the major told them to go.

I honestly haven't heard much about it since if massive riots broke out and the national guard had to come in a start shooting.

Like I said, let's measure the fatalities, the injuries and the property damage between Minneapolis, DC, New York, Louisville and then Seattle.

I'm betting that Seattle is going to come in way under on the carnage numbers (but don't know).

but you agree that the Federal govt shouldn’t bail out Walz for his decisions?

but you agree that the Federal govt shouldn’t bail out Walz for his decisions?

Is there a precedent of using federal disaster relief funds for social uprisings?

I honestly don't know but I'm too lazy to look it up.

LA suffered a shitton of personal property damages in the Rodney King riot...did they use federal funds?

If there is a precedent than yes, it's not a crazy ask of the governor.

Two murders, four shootings, multiple armed robberies, aggravated assaults, and on and on in terms of violent crime calls/reports to the police. Seattle apparently saw a 525 percent jump in crime for the month of June. The foregoing can be found in a ten second google search from multiple stories.

There are a lot of people all over the country who commit crimes. Seattle isn’t immune. It sounds like they found their way to chop. The second largest company in MO is threatening to relocate to Charlotte if Stl doesn’t do a better job of catching bad guys. And that’s what they are: bad people.

The idea that a cop free zone would end in any other way is fantasyland. If we’re going to talk about police reform and making changes to improve black lives the discussion needs to include crime and the responsibility of the black community to take part in helping fight crime. Crime is destroying too many cities.

I imagine that Minneapolis would be tickled pink if their crime rate in June only went up 525 percent.

I think we're arguing two different points.

My point is how to best handle a massive, angry protest because it will happen again, hell probably in a few months after the election or after Chauvin is acquitted.

When you have an angry race riot in your city do you offer up an autonomous zone or do you bring out the rubber bullets, tear gas, hoses, vicious dogs, etc.

I think Seattle is going to have less damage and carnage than other cities when there is a massive, angry protest.

How much would it have cost to send in more federal help to stop the protests?

Is there a precedent of using federal disaster relief funds for social uprisings?

I honestly don't know but I'm too lazy to look it up.

LA suffered a shitton of personal property damages in the Rodney King riot...did they use federal funds?

If there is a precedent than yes, it's not a crazy ask of the governor.

except for the fact that Walz allowed it to happen. At best, his actions were negligent.

Don't worry that Trump might let him have the money. Walz is in the Democrat-Farmer-Labor party. Trump hates all three.

That isn’t the point. If you make a decision that results in $500+ million in damage, you should own it.

That isn’t the point. If you make a decision that results in $500+ million in damage, you should own it.

What decision was that?

I'm not seeing this angst against Walz up here unless you are a white male in your 40's or older and only have a high school degree.

Oh, LA did use federal disaster funds for the Rodney King riot reconstruction BTW.

The lack of response and action for multiple nights

https://outline.com/4UWDNc

Right off the bat the cops got on top of buildings and shot protesters with rubber bullets like they were fish in a barrel. Rubber bullets are 'less lethal', not 'non lethal'.

The protesters then burned the police precinct to the ground and it then grew into an out of control, enraged riot.

Again the cops first reaction to shoot down at protesters was the gasoline thrown on a campfire.

He saved a lot of cops lives after the initial reaction just incited more violence. It also kept the riots in a section along Lake for the most part (again my gf is twenty blocks from Cup Foods and we could hear it out of her windows, but the most damage her neighborhood saw was a nearby holiday gas station had a window broken). He then issued strict early curfews to try get peaceful protesters and lurkers out of the way which gave the police authority to arrest anyone out past the curfew VS having to try to differentiate between a protester and an anarchist.

What action did you want? Bring in the military, surround and block off the area Game of Thrones style and then napalm them Apocalypse Now style to DOMINATE THE STREETS.

How did firing on protesters work at Kent State?

Last edited:
Reactions: brianiu
Right off the bat the cops got on top of buildings and shot protesters with rubber bullets like they were fish in a barrel.

The protesters then burned the police precinct to the ground and it then grew into an out of control, enraged riot.

Again the cops first reaction to shoot down at protesters was the gasoline thrown on a campfire.

He saved a lot of cops lives after the initial reaction just incited more violence. It also kept the riots in a section along Lake for the most part (again my gf is twenty blocks from Cup Foods and we could hear it out of her windows, but the most damage her neighborhood saw was a nearby holiday gas station had a window broken).

What action did you want? Bring in the military, surround and block off the area Game of Thrones style and then napalm them Apocalypse Now style to DOMINATE THE STREETS.

How did firing on protesters work at Kent State?

You are making excuses. He should have forced the idiot mayors to mobilize and use the National Guard much quicker. Look what happened on the first night after they got called in? It was calm and quiet.

Things happened the way they did, but the overall point is, it's asinine and nonsensical to ask for someone else to bail out poor decisions made by local and state authorities. Raise taxes on Minneapolis and St. Paul residents to pay for the damage.

You are making excuses. He should have forced the idiot mayors to mobilize and use the National Guard much quicker. Look what happened on the first night after they got called in? It was calm and quiet.

Things happened the way they did, but the overall point is, it's asinine and nonsensical to ask for someone else to bail out poor decisions made by local and state authorities. Raise taxes on Minneapolis and St. Paul residents to pay for the damage.
Correct this is a local issue not an issue that should be passed along to the entire country. If Minneapolis wanted to let that go down and see what happened they should be responsible for the damages. I would wonder how this type of situation would be handled differently if Minneapolis was required to handle the damage or if somehow the rest of us had to help? I bet it would be much different if the first were to come into play.

Correct this is a local issue not an issue that should be passed along to the entire country. If Minneapolis wanted to let that go down and see what happened they should be responsible for the damages. I would wonder how this type of situation would be handled differently if Minneapolis was required to handle the damage or if somehow the rest of us had to help? I bet it would be much different if the first were to come into play.

Again, after the LA riots in 92 (I think that was the year) LA was granted federal disaster relief so....it's not a crazy request.

You might not like it because it's a democratic governor but luckily we're not a the place yet where Trump can dish out relief based on political party.

As I said, not yet.

Lastly there's no way you can prove going heavy military would have done anything different to the results as riots broke out all over the country including DC where he did use more than the national guard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT