ADVERTISEMENT

An article about the shuttle disaster

I remember being told by our principal. I was in 6th grade. Buddy of mine kept laughing because he thought it was a joke since our principal always joked around with us.

And yea, I remember a lot of those jokes. If I recall, that time was around the, "No, Bud Light" commercials. So, one of the jokes punchlines was just that.

I remember several more and of course, thought they were funny at the time.

talks about the causes and the horror people, including school children, who were watching felt. Near the end of the article, the author talks about the crude jokes that circulated. For some reason, I do not remember them, but they seem like some one could find on this forum.
http://kottke.org/16/01/on-the-30th-anniversary-of-the-space-shuttle-challenger-disaster
Knew about the O-ring stuff, I studied that in college in one of my classes. Didn't know about the crew surviving until they hit the water. That's really interesting.

The joke I remember hearing was that Christa McAuliffe had dandruff because they found her head and shoulders on the beach

Knew about the O-ring stuff, I studied that in college in one of my classes. Didn't know about the crew surviving until they hit the water. That's really interesting.

The joke I remember hearing was that Christa McAuliffe had dandruff because they found her head and shoulders on the beach
And her eyes were blue. One blew east, one blue west.

I had heard about the real possibility they survived the explosion and at least some died on impact with the ocean. I didn't realize that "uh oh" was the last comment on the flight recorder. That isn't something that would be said in the early stages of a flight without cause.

How come NASA only drinks Sprite?

Because they couldn't get 7 Up.

That's the one I remember. Was in Elementary school when it happened. Teachers brought everyone into the auditorium to watch the launch. Yeah, that wasn't a good day.

Last edited:
I was in the 6th grade. I guess we watched it because I remember a TV and all us kids gathered around it, but I have no memory of it or even being bothered by it because I wasn't paying attention. I was in my own world even then. I was probably trying to tape my pencil for an up-coming pencil tap battle. Or making cinnamon paper. Or trying to make a basketball hoop out of my tool box. Or trying to learn the space walk. Or giving myself an awesome eraser burn. You know, important things.

I was less than a year in my first post-college job. The director of my department came in to tell us what happened. He was from Minnesota and talked like Elmer Fudd. What I heard was, "The Space Shuttle bwew up!" I was shocked to hear the news, but the way he said it made me want to laugh.

It was the first event I remember going home and being glued to the 24 hour news coverage. It seems like I went home for lunch to see the early reports, or maybe we all left early.

Last edited:

I know a guy who lives in northern Hamilton county on a farm who retired from nasa. He told us at Christmas the year after the accident that there were crew members still alive when they hit the ocean, seems just like yesterday, Time flies the older you get.

I had just finished a public relations internship with NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va one month before the Challenger explosion. The runner up in the teacher in space competition worked with us in our office - I can only imagine what she felt on that day. Everyone at NASA was in shock for days - working around these incredibly intelligent people gave you a false sense of security that nothing could go wrong.

I was a stupid kid back then and it took me several years to appreciate the opportunity to work there while in college. I remember meeting with engineers and seeing prototypes of the international space station more than a decade before it actually happened. Also remember meeting Adolph Busemann, one of the former Nazi aerospace pioneers that came to work for NASA after the war. Hard to believe 30 years have passed.

Reactions: MaxCoke
I was selling VCR'Sand CD players at LS Ayres in South Bend University Mall. Saw it on the display TV's live. The moment I remember most was when it blew up and the camera turned to the people on the ground looking up just baffled looking at each other trying to come to grips with what they just saw.

I was in first grade. We were one of the schools with the live feed hookup, but I remember very little. I have vague recollections of school ending early, parents picking us up, counselling sessions being set up for kids that needed it, etc., but the only vivid memory I have - and the only reason I know for sure I watched it - is the fact that the class across the hall had to squeeze into our classroom, because the school didn't have enough TVs for everyone, so there were like 60 kids packed into our room watching when it happened.

I was in first grade. We were one of the schools with the live feed hookup, but I remember very little. I have vague recollections of school ending early, parents picking us up, counselling sessions being set up for kids that needed it, etc., but the only vivid memory I have - and the only reason I know for sure I watched it - is the fact that the class across the hall had to squeeze into our classroom, because the school didn't have enough TVs for everyone, so there were like 60 kids packed into our room watching when it happened.
This just tells me how old I really am. I was a sophomore in highschool and remember watching on a tv in the library. I do remember some of the jokes as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT