ADVERTISEMENT

"We'd like to introduce our friend Neil Young"...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
4 Way Street...

Anybody else play the shit out of this album? It was released ('71) when I was a soph in high school, and in many ways became the soundtrack of those high school years. Not only the songs, but the spoken transitions between songs as well. Neil introducing Stills with "We've had our ups and downs, but we're still playing together- Stephen Stills", prior to Stills' iconic performance of 49 Bye Byes/ America's Children (For What It's Worth), and then Graham bringing Neil on stage with "We'd Like to introduce our friend Neil Young", and a haunting performance of "On the Way Home"...

I've always loved that song, and had friends in a CSN like band who always sang it. But it was only after I did a deeper dive into Springfield (it's off of Last Time Around) that I discovered the backstory which led to some of Neil's resentment and hurt feelings and the tensions among various individual members which led to Springfield eventually self-imploding. Management (not sure exactly who) felt that while Neil's writing contributions were in many cases brilliant, that his voice wasn't radio friendly.

So on some of Neil's songs like Clancy, and On the Way Home, for example they insisted that Richie sing lead instead of Neil. They definitely missed the boat on OTWH (as this 4 Way Street performance illustrates), and I'm sure there's an element of catharsis for Neil in opening his portion of those shows with HIS performance of his song, with some tasty licks and backing from Stephen. I always like Richie's voice, but he's no Neil Young...

Similarly, I've always had a preference for this version of Cowgirl, which was my intro to the song, before I ever heard the original from Nowhere...A few years back a girl I went to high school with wrote something on my FB timeline about remembering the way I introduced her to Cowgirl, 40 or so years ago at that time...

And then there's the song that inspired this bit of nostalgic reflection in the first place. Pretty sure my first intro to See The Sky was off of a bootleg (maybe Boulder?) which I heard prior to the later officially released version. I remember I had a "class" in I believe my junior year of high school, which was called piano. It was basically a free period, with the 4 of us (and no teacher, for the most part) sitting around in one of the empty music dept offices and "playing" piano. There were 2 or 3 of us who were more into things like Neil, and then another guy who looked like and was into Floyd Kramer. I can't play piano for shit, but I specifically remember sitting at the keys and trying to play See The Sky or Love In Mind and pretend I was Neil...

So today I got a bunch of new archive releases from Neil via my you tube subscription page, including this 1971 performance of See The Sky at UCLA. Check out the thumbnail of the poster, where it talks about how only UCLA students with ID are allowed. And how about that $2.50 price tag? Simply amazing performance...

4 Way Street...

Anybody else play the shit out of this album? It was released ('71) when I was a soph in high school, and in many ways became the soundtrack of those high school years. Not only the songs, but the spoken transitions between songs as well. Neil introducing Stills with "We've had our ups and downs, but we're still playing together- Stephen Stills", prior to Stills' iconic performance of 49 Bye Byes/ America's Children (For What It's Worth), and then Graham bringing Neil on stage with "We'd Like to introduce our friend Neil Young", and a haunting performance of "On the Way Home"...

I've always loved that song, and had friends in a CSN like band who always sang it. But it was only after I did a deeper dive into Springfield (it's off of Last Time Around) that I discovered the backstory which led to some of Neil's resentment and hurt feelings and the tensions among various individual members which led to Springfield eventually self-imploding. Management (not sure exactly who) felt that while Neil's writing contributions were in many cases brilliant, that his voice wasn't radio friendly.

So on some of Neil's songs like Clancy, and On the Way Home, for example they insisted that Richie sing lead instead of Neil. They definitely missed the boat on OTWH (as this 4 Way Street performance illustrates), and I'm sure there's an element of catharsis for Neil in opening his portion of those shows with HIS performance of his song, with some tasty licks and backing from Stephen. I always like Richie's voice, but he's no Neil Young...

Similarly, I've always had a preference for this version of Cowgirl, which was my intro to the song, before I ever heard the original from Nowhere...A few years back a girl I went to high school with wrote something on my FB timeline about remembering the way I introduced her to Cowgirl, 40 or so years ago at that time...

And then there's the song that inspired this bit of nostalgic reflection in the first place. Pretty sure my first intro to See The Sky was off of a bootleg (maybe Boulder?) which I heard prior to the later officially released version. I remember I had a "class" in I believe my junior year of high school, which was called piano. It was basically a free period, with the 4 of us (and no teacher, for the most part) sitting around in one of the empty music dept offices and "playing" piano. There were 2 or 3 of us who were more into things like Neil, and then another guy who looked like and was into Floyd Kramer. I can't play piano for shit, but I specifically remember sitting at the keys and trying to play See The Sky or Love In Mind and pretend I was Neil...

So today I got a bunch of new archive releases from Neil via my you tube subscription page, including this 1971 performance of See The Sky at UCLA. Check out the thumbnail of the poster, where it talks about how only UCLA students with ID are allowed. And how about that $2.50 price tag? Simply amazing performance...

In my childhood basement wearing these until my ears ached:

kvgdl83edae71.jpg

4 Way Street...

4 Way Street saw plenty of turntable action from me when i was in college.

Southern Man got the most action.

Reactions: cosmickid
4 Way Street...

This album is special to me.

When I rolled into McNutt in the fall of 1978, I was already a big CSNY fan and as luck would have it, my neighbor across the hallway had 4 way Street & as a tradition always played it to start the weekend.

That's the fun part -as we all know - @IU it's "endless weekend" if you want it to be, so this might get brought out on a Thursday afternoon if the keg was tapped then. (or even Wed for Little 5 weekend)

It's been awhile now since I've played it, so Alexa may get a request later - LOL

Reactions: sdhoosier and kkott
4 Way Street...

Saw Young in 79. The first 45 minutes of the show was just Neil, his guitar, and harmonica. Absolute GOLD! Better than when the band joined him.

If ya'll check out the thread Luka I uploaded a couple tunes from the Sting concert last night. Enjoy!

Reactions: kkott
Buffalo Springfield was good too.
Yes, Yes they were...I just came upon this very interesting video and it truly brought out the geek in me...

So on first glance it looks to be a single performance of FWIW (like Flip Wilson show or Hollywood Palace). In the original, Stephen starts off with the first verse of FWIW, and Neil is sitting unobtrusively stage right. Suddenly Neil jumps up, and they launch into a rocking Mr Soul as the spotlight shifts to Neil...

In this video, Neil jumps up, but then this video shifts to a montage of various performances of FWIW, along with some clips of the protests on Hollywood Blvd that Steve was actually writing about...

But what strikes me is that at no point is Neil singing any type of backing vocal. He's playing his guitar, and there are plenty of shots of Richie (and even Dewey Martin on drums) adding harmonies and backing, but for whatever reason Neil is definitely not singing at all. In fact he looks (purposely?) positioned away from any microphones...

I don't know if it's indifference (he kinda looks bored) or if he's just taken to heart instructions from "management" not to add his "radio-unfriendly voice" to the performance, but he's definitely NOT singing. Like I said I just discovered this particular video, and I found that obvious lack of any vocals from Neil striking...

It's probably just that he didn't sing in the original version of the song. The crew wouldn't set up the microphone if he wasn't going to sing.

Neil's voice improved a lot between "burned" and Harvest. I don't think he was very confident in his voice in the early Springfield days. I think I read that somewhere.

Their first two singles were Neil singing, and they didn't do well, so management might have had good reason to push them in a different direction.

EDIT: Young didnt sing lead on the Buffalo Springfield album version, although he did provide backing vocals that are recognizably Neil, in the chorus.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
It's probably just that he didn't sing in the original version of the song. The crew wouldn't set up the microphone if he wasn't going to sing.

Neil's voice improved a lot between "burned" and Harvest. I don't think he was very confident in his voice in the early Springfield days. I think I read that somewhere.

Their first two singles were Neil singing, and they didn't do well, so management might have had good reason to push them in a different direction.

EDIT: Young didnt sing lead on the Buffalo Springfield album version, although he did provide backing vocals that are recognizably Neil, in the chorus.
Great post, very informative. I don't want to get all geeked out on this, but I think you may be confused about what I was trying to say- probably because I didn't explain it very coherently...

So here is the original Hollywood Palace video I referenced, where Stephen starts to sing FWIW and mid verse Neil comes to the mic and they launch into Mr Soul... Here it is, it has over a Million views, and is labelled FWIW/Mr Soul medley...

Now the video I posted above in the post you responded to is labelled FWIW, and has over 63 million views. From the thumbnail it looks to be the same show and I initially assumed it was. It actually starts with the original Hollywood Palace performance, but when it gets to the point where they launch into Mr Soul, the video shifts to a compilation of various performances of FWIW which goes thru the entire song but is not the same Hollywood Palace performance it started with. I just saw it for the first time yesterday, and that's why I posted it and characterized it as "interesting" in my post above.

What caught my eye, was that in that new video, during all of the scenes from other performances whenever they show Neil he is not singing, and in fact always seems to be positioned on the left where there aren't any mics. Neil wasn't even at Monterrey Pop in '67, when they performed this version here. Peter Tork (Steve's friend) introduces the band, with a fairly obvious David Crosby playing onstage, but a conspicuously absent Neil. Wiki references Crosby sitting in for Monterey while Neil was "temporarily absent"

My understanding of the issue of Neil's singing, is not that he didn't want to, but rather that management felt Richie had a more radio-friendly voice, and that aroused some bitter feelings in Neil. I believe that Clancy was actually their first single released, and I don't think Neil was particularly happy that management insisted that Richie sing his song.

And as I pointed out in my OP, Richie sang "On the Way Home" on Last Time Around and the only other song Neil contributed to the album was "I Am a Child". By the time the album was released Neil was already gone, and the album cover shows Neil looking the opposite way from everyone else. I've always felt On the Way Home was lyrically directed to Springfield (Stephen in particular) and was sort of his way of saying goodbye to something he no longer wanted to be a part of. And maybe "I Am a Child" was Neil's way of sort of admitting his own role in the personality and ego clashes that ended up causing the band to implode?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Great post, very informative. I don't want to get all geeked out on this, but I think you may be confused about what I was trying to say- probably because I didn't explain it very coherently...

So here is the original Hollywood Palace video I referenced, where Stephen starts to sing FWIW and mid verse Neil comes to the mic and they launch into Mr Soul... Here it is, it has over a Million views, and is labelled FWIW/Mr Soul medley...

Now the video I posted above in the post you responded to is labelled FWIW, and has over 63 million views. From the thumbnail it looks to be the same show and I initially assumed it was. It actually starts with the original Hollywood Palace performance, but when it gets to the point where they launch into Mr Soul, the video shifts to a compilation of various performances of FWIW which goes thru the entire song but is not the same Hollywood Palace performance it started with. I just saw it for the first time yesterday, and that's why I posted it and characterized it as "interesting" in my post above.

What caught my eye, was that in that new video, during all of the scenes from other performances whenever they show Neil he is not singing, and in fact always seems to be positioned on the left where there aren't any mics. Neil wasn't even at Monterrey Pop in '67, when they performed this version here. Peter Tork (Steve's friend) introduces the band, with a fairly obvious David Crosby playing onstage, but a conspicuously absent Neil. Wiki references Crosby sitting in for Monterey while Neil was "temporarily absent"

My understanding of the issue of Neil's singing, is not that he didn't want to, but rather that management felt Richie had a more radio-friendly voice, and that aroused some bitter feelings in Neil. I believe that Clancy was actually their first single released, and I don't think Neil was particularly happy that management insisted that Richie sing his song.

And as I pointed out in my OP, Richie sang "On the Way Home" on Last Time Around and the only other song Neil contributed to the album was "I Am a Child". By the time the album was released Neil was already gone, and the album cover shows Neil looking the opposite way from everyone else. I've always felt On the Way Home was lyrically directed to Springfield (Stephen in particular) and was sort of his way of saying goodbye to something he no longer wanted to be a part of. And maybe "I Am a Child" was Neil's way of sort of admitting his own role in the personality and ego clashes that ended up causing the band to implode?
Yep, Nowadays was the first single, so you might be right. It was also a pretty personal song to Neil, about his failures in the Toronto music scene before he went LA. I can see how he'd be bummed.

Neil's just a really tough dude to be in a band with. He is one of the best songwriters ever, but a slightly overrated musician, and his ego must be tough to deal with. But the really tough thing is how he will just bail on shows and projects if he doesn't like how it's going.

I mean, no showing gigs is like a one strike and you're out offense for me, but if he showed up with a song like Ohio, what are you supposed to do? Tell him to **** off? Impossible....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT