ADVERTISEMENT

America's deepest and most dangerous divide isn't between Democrats and Republicans

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
I read the following article and in a lot of ways don't know what to think. It says that over half (54%) of all people rated the risk of "our way of life ending" within the next 100 years at 50% or greater. It's hard to know exactly what they mean by our way of life. Of course our way of life is always changing... some things we can control and some things we can't. I've always wondered if we have a violent period sometimes in the future who will be the combatants... the haves vs the have nots, people who want more government control vs those that want less government interference, etc.

I read the following article and in a lot of ways don't know what to think. It says that over half (54%) of all people rated the risk of "our way of life ending" within the next 100 years at 50% or greater. It's hard to know exactly what they mean by our way of life. Of course our way of life is always changing... some things we can control and some things we can't. I've always wondered if we have a violent period sometimes in the future who will be the combatants... the haves vs the have nots, people who want more government control vs those that want less government interference, etc.

I figured this was going to be an IU /Purdue thread. Seriously hard telling but you are right about always changing. Look at the first half of the 20th century. Then the first part of 21st. I dont see as much change in last half of 20th, aviation being a major part and the dif from 1910-1950 far greater than 1950-2000 at least as far as travel.How much has internet and social media, phones etc changed it in last 20-30 yrs. As far as a violent period ? Hard telling and perhaps when people that have an understanding of WWII are thinning out ? Changes in the US wouldn't be completely shocking , not sure what but could see while a lot of mutual stuff there being a great divide. History repeats itself. Mother nature still taking a hand as well? A huge volcanic eruption that alters climate? Yes we have had climate change, 1816 the year without a summer huge eruption and we had snow every month of the year from the ash in the atmosphere. Coincidently the year Indiana becomes a state . Most of my circle of friends and relatives will pretty much being dying out in 30 yrs,so I have to admit not as greatly concerned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT