ADVERTISEMENT

All the pressure is on PU while IU has nothing to lose

Fine. Cincinnati not winnable.

Still leaves 8 winnable games. So who are you going to elevate if we can't win 6?
Don’t fall for it. Winnable doesn’t mean should win. Cincinnati has 3 losses and is ranked 21. It would have been a great win for IU but Cincinnati is not Ohio St or Georgia. The gap between Cincinnati and IU is not because they have 2 deep 5 stars vs 3 stars.

No but a good coach would win at least half or more of their winnable games imo. So 5-6 or 6-5 would reflect a good coach with IUs schedule to this point if they had an average year. And of course be competitive in most games.

If they were to win 7 of their 10 winnable games (after today), imo that would have been a good year. 8-9 wins would have been a great year. 4 wins is incredibly underwhelming. Especially with several being completely non competitive.
IU went 1-11 last year. They had two non-competitive games this year that were total mismatches from start to finish; Ohio State and Penn State. They played Michigan well deep into the 3rd quarter.

Don’t fall for it. Winnable doesn’t mean should win. Cincinnati has 3 losses and is ranked 21. It would have been a great win for IU but Cincinnati is not Ohio St or Georgia. The gap between Cincinnati and IU is not because they have 2 deep 5 stars vs 3 stars.
So you’re essentially saying that every game IU plays in from here on out is “winnable” so long as it’s not against a top 5 team. Do you know how delusional you sound?

I will fully admit that the Rutgers and Maryland games are two that IU want back, especially Rutgers, but coming off a season in which they went 1-11 the year prior, did anyone seriously think IU was going to win 8-9 games this year? I personally saw a path to 7 and that would have included everything going right (which rarely happens), but 5 sounded right and there’s still a chance that happens.
Agree with this. I just think 6 wins minimum. Completely agree that 8-9 would have been a great year.

I will fully admit that the Rutgers and Maryland games are two that IU want back, especially Rutgers, but coming off a season in which they went 1-11 the year prior, did anyone seriously think IU was going to win 8-9 games this year? I personally saw a path to 7 and that would have included everything going right (which rarely happens), but 5 sounded right and there’s still a chance that happens.
A good coach gets us 6 of 8 winnable games. I'd be happy with 5 and the Bucket.

Today will say a lot.

Reactions: Beorik
So you’re essentially saying that every game IU plays in from here on out is “winnable” so long as it’s not against a top 5 team. Do you know how delusional you sound?
Based on the talent they have recruited, yes. Are you saying IU should never win vs a top 30ish team?

IU went 1-11 last year. They had two non-competitive games this year that were total mismatches from start to finish; Ohio State and Penn State. They played Michigan well deep into the 3rd quarter.
You are selling IU way short. We won twice as many games last year as you claim.

Based on the talent they have recruited, yes. Are you saying IU should never win vs a top 30ish team?
Never said they shouldn’t beat a top 30ish team. But thinking that every game on IU’s schedule sans OSU and UM is a winnable game every year is also crazy talk.

And we’ll have to agree to disagree on talent. I see one, maybe two NFL caliber players on this years roster and both are true freshman.

You are selling IU way short. We won twice as many games last year as you claim.
I’m realistic when it comes to IU football. IU is historically a 3-4 win a year program. I think with the right coach and right commitment to the football program IU can become a perennial 6 win team a year but acting like every game other than UM and OSU should be viewed as winnable is just crazy talk.

Never said they shouldn’t beat a top 30ish team. But thinking that every game on IU’s schedule sans OSU and UM is a winnable game every year is also crazy talk.

And we’ll have to agree to disagree on talent. I see one, maybe two NFL caliber players on this years roster and both are true freshman.
Agree but imo it’s coaching leading to that. From a recruiting ranking standpoint they have been more than solid the last 4-5 years

Agree but imo it’s coaching leading to that. From a recruiting ranking standpoint they have been more than solid the last 4-5 years
Recruiting rankings aside, IU still ranks 6th out 7th in the division in which they play and the margin of talent between IU and the top 4 of the B10 east is massive. They unfortunately play all 6 of those teams every single year. That is the reality of the situation. A team like Purdue doesn’t play in that reality.

I’m realistic when it comes to IU football. IU is historically a 3-4 win a year program. I think with the right coach and right commitment to the football program IU can become a perennial 6 win team a year but acting like every game other than UM and OSU should be viewed as winnable is just crazy talk.
Ok that went over your head. We were 2-10 last year.

To paint a clearer picture for anyone still not seeing this, the talent disparity between Ohio State and Michigan/Penn State is about the same margin between Wisconsin (the perceived best team in the west since realignment) and Illinois (the worst perceived team since realignment). The talent disparity between Michigan/Penn State and a team like IU is wider than the top and bottom teams in the West.

After 2019 and 2020 we were all hoping we had become that perennial 6 win team.

Unfortunately we are not.

Reactions: DCDAVID
I think there is a lot of truth to which team will feel the pressure and which team can play free with nothing to lose. It reminds me a lot of the 1991 bucket game where IU was favored in Bloomington and Purdue won and kept IU out of a bowl game and crushed Anthony Thompson's Heisman chance. Rivalry games are always dicey for the favorite. Not sure what to expect, turnovers may play a big part. Wouldn't bet on either side of this game with your money, lol.

Purdue gets a taste of our schedule next year as their 2 crossover games besides IU are OSU and Michigan.

For Purdue and IU, it is rarely about how we do against our toughest opponents, it is about how we do against our "should win" and "could win" opponents. IU beats Rutgers and Maryland for example and it is an entirely different looking season. Purdue should have beaten PSU and Syracuse and then this game wouldn't matter much.

For Purdue and IU, it is rarely about how we do against our toughest opponents, it is about how we do against our "should win" and "could win" opponents. IU beats Rutgers and Maryland for example and it is an entirely different looking season. Purdue should have beaten PSU and Syracuse and then this game wouldn't matter much.
Should have but didn’t. And that’s the problem. The margin for error with IU is razor thin given their schedule. Purdue lost to arguably its two toughest opponents yet still has a chance to not only win 8 games, but play for a B10 championship. That opportunity will never exist for IU under the current alignment.

Should have but didn’t. And that’s the problem. The margin for error with IU is razor thin given their schedule. Purdue lost to arguably its two toughest opponents yet still has a chance to not only win 8 games, but play for a B10 championship. That opportunity will never exist for IU under the current alignment.

As a fan of football, I look forward to the change in divisions, although the divisions do make for more rivalry against your every year opponents. And, while I am in no way saying Wisconsin is better than OSU, as a Purdue fan, I would rather play OSU every year and get Wisconsin off our schedule. We seem to upset OSU twice a decade, no matter where they are ranked, and we NEVER, EVER beat Wisconsin. lol

I think there is a lot of truth to which team will feel the pressure and which team can play free with nothing to lose. It reminds me a lot of the 1991 bucket game where IU was favored in Bloomington and Purdue won and kept IU out of a bowl game and crushed Anthony Thompson's Heisman chance. Rivalry games are always dicey for the favorite. Not sure what to expect, turnovers may play a big part. Wouldn't bet on either side of this game with your money, lol.
IU won in 91

As a fan of football, I look forward to the change in divisions, although the divisions do make for more rivalry against your every year opponents. And, while I am in no way saying Wisconsin is better than OSU, as a Purdue fan, I would rather play OSU every year and get Wisconsin off our schedule. We seem to upset OSU twice a decade, no matter where they are ranked, and we NEVER, EVER beat Wisconsin. lol
Reality is that you hardly ever play Ohio State. Purdue has played Penn St 3x, OSU twice, and Michigan just ONCE since re-alignment in 2014. Don’t let a one off upset cloud your judgement. If Purdue played UM, PSU, and OSU every single their record would reflect as such and it’d be very similar to IU’s record against the Big 3. It’s a good problem for Purdue to have and why these types of scenarios that Purdue is in now exist.

• Haha
Reactions: DAG10 and JRowdy20
I am not happy with this season but trying to compare Purdue and Indiana in football anymore is pretty hard given the West is hot garbage. We have what would be 3 conference losses for either team baked into our schedule every year. I would gladly trade Iowa, Wisconsin, and ? For Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year.
It do make a difference, the exact opposite difference for PUke.

With all the transfers and new coaches if they win this game I’ll be happy. Something to build on.

Reality is that you hardly ever play Ohio State. Purdue has played Penn St 3x, OSU twice, and Michigan just ONCE since re-alignment in 2014. Don’t let a one off upset cloud your judgement. If Purdue played UM, PSU, and OSU every single their record would reflect as such and it’d be very similar to IU’s record against the Big 3. It’s a good problem for Purdue to have and why these types of scenarios that Purdue is in now exist.
when you say reality are you saying we shouldn't expect more?

You would have two more losses this year if you play UM and OSU: 110% guarantee.

Broilees will fold. Brohmbardi will be beet red yelling expletives at the refs while when take the bucket, break the pukes hearts and send them to another post season drubbing they never should have had the ticket to.
Well, nothing but the game...and, the Bucket, yet again.

Nothing to lose, and, yet, lost everything...the game...the Bucket...their shiny new toy at QB (never mind that he can't throw)...respect...any notion of momentum...and, more credibility.

Reactions: bodog57
There is zero evidence that Brohm is on some higher tier of coaching than Allen like you constantly like to imply. He has two bad years on his resume like Allen does. And while has more bowl appearances, he also coaches on the much weaker side of the conference. Allen's 2017 and 2018 teams are both very, very likely bowl teams if they got to replace a couple of the Big Three with West teams.

He only leads head-to-head 3-1, with two of his wins being in WL where you'd expect Purdue to win. Conversely, Allen is a better recruiter, arguably by a pretty significant margin. The only significant thing Brohm clearly has in his favor is more big upsets. They are both flawed coaches in different ways, but there's nothing either has shown or done that makes them meaningfully better or worse than the other when you consider their overall tenures.
He leads 4-1. Two wins in Bloomington (2017, 2022) and (2 wins in WL 2018, 2021 and 1 loss in WL 2019) Injuries have been a factor for both teams in several games.

Reactions: DAG10
You would have two more losses this year if you play UM and OSU: 110% guarantee.
And, yet...Indinia won 1 game vs the West...to be fair, that is 1 more than a year ago.

You like to suggest that Purdue's success is a product of their being in the West, whereas Indinia's lack of it is irrelevant of which division it is in, as, they would have (and have had) just as much failure against the West division. 8 wins I believe in 7 years against the West division (with 3 of them in one year), so 5 total in the other 6...like say, they are not good regardless of division, and, to pretend otherwise is ridiculous.

And, yet...Indinia won 1 game vs the West...to be fair, that is 1 more than a year ago.

You like to suggest that Purdue's success is a product of their being in the West, whereas Indinia's lack of it is irrelevant of which division it is in, as, they would have (and have had) just as much failure against the West division. 8 wins I believe in 7 years against the West division (with 3 of them in one year), so 5 total in the other 6...like say, they are not good regardless of division, and, to pretend otherwise is ridiculous.
Our lack of success like 8-4 in 2019 and a top 15 season in 2020 while Purdue was near the rear of the conference? Your 2019 4-8 is just as bad as, if not worse than, our 4-8 this year was given the teams each side played. We had two up years while you were down and now you have done the exact same. Purdue has just had more recent success, not more success.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

You are putting a lot of words in my mouth. Fail Train U is not even close to being as good as UM or OSU this year: there is a 110% probability that PUke has 2 more losses if they play UM or OSU this year. PUke doesn't stand a chance against UM: it is simply a fact. If you think that the Purdouche Toiletfakers are at the level of OSU or UM this year or as a program, then you are on crack.

How many times in your life have you typed Indinia and then got off afterwards? I am guessing it is in the hundreds. You found something cute you thought was funny and haven't progressed from that point in over a yr.

Purdue has benefited greatly from playing in the JV div. This isn’t in debate.

This year’s charmin soft schedule combined with huge breaks like Iowa choking and Dexter going down yesterday put you in the position to get thrashed next Sat by UM’s second stringers. Why risk injury in a cakewalk game when the big prize is ahead.

Fantastic spin.

You broilees can crow all you want. But we ALL know we were running wild all over you. We would have won had Dex not gone down.
I haven’t seen any Purdue fans crowing, but, yes, IU’s chances of winning the game diminished greatly when Williams went down.

I didn’t hear an explanation. Was it a non-contact turf injury we see so often?

You broilees can crow all you want. But we ALL know we were running wild all over you. We would have won had Dex not gone down.
Running wild to a 7-3 halftime lead. Deb didn’t play D, which was again our undoing. They didn’t go up and down the field on us in the second half because the D shut them down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT