ADVERTISEMENT

New HC must elevate IU over pu for good

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
We have been so close to overtaking pu in the last 2 decades. We had won 6 of 8 and 4 in a row.

Then Allen proceeds to go 1-4 vs pu and might go 1-5 if things go as poorly as they have. He wasn't able to overcome his lone Bucket in 2019 or his magical 2020 season. It is almost unbelievable considering IU was 14-7 while pu was 5-13 during 19/20 seasons. I remember Brohm getting laughed at with his monster contract wiles and getting outrecruited and whipped on the field by Allen at half the salary. Looked like Brohm was going to get fired and Allen was about to take IU to the promised land.

Allen then gets an absolutely massive contract and they inexplicably flip roles with IU going 6-18 and pu goes 17-10 with a fake divisional championship.

In 2024, PU will have an awful coach and an awful team without the crutch of the little west division. IU will escape the death trap of the B1G East and will have a golden opportunity to surpass pu for good.

IU cannot, MUST NOT, miss this opportunity. The future of IUFB is at stake.

We have been so close to overtaking pu in the last 2 decades. We had won 6 of 8 and 4 in a row.

Then Allen proceeds to go 1-4 vs pu and might go 1-5 if things go as poorly as they have. He wasn't able to overcome his lone Bucket in 2019 or his magical 2020 season. It is almost unbelievable considering IU was 14-7 while pu was 5-13 during 19/20 seasons. I remember Brohm getting laughed at with his monster contract wiles and getting outrecruited and whipped on the field by Allen at half the salary. Looked like Brohm was going to get fired and Allen was about to take IU to the promised land.

Allen then gets an absolutely massive contract and they inexplicably flip roles with IU going 6-18 and pu goes 17-10 with a fake divisional championship.

In 2024, PU will have an awful coach and an awful team without the crutch of the little west division. IU will escape the death trap of the B1G East and will have a golden opportunity to surpass pu for good.

IU cannot, MUST NOT, miss this opportunity. The future of IUFB is at stake.
Wow.

WTF man, this is your measuring stick for IU football?

IMO, that is what we all make fun of PU and their little brother role in basketball.

I would like to see MUCH more from IU than what you laid out.
Of course it is. We all want more than being better thab pu, but we should always measure our program in relation to peer programs. That is a logical first step. How the hell do you think IU FB will ever be anything without first striving to be better than purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.

Wtf man, what, you want to compare us to Alabama, UM, OSU, Georgia?

how about we first try not to be the worst team in the B1G on an annual basis? What is so wrong with that?

Of course it is. We all want more than being better thab pu, but we should always measure our program in relation to peer programs. That is a logical first step. How the hell do you think IU FB will ever be anything without first striving to be better than purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, etc.

how about we first try not to be the worst team in the B1G on an annual basis? What is so wrong with that?
You're right - it's a very reasonable expectation. Walk before you run.

If we can dominate, we probably dominate the state in recruiting. We were almost there.....

But you didn't mention Rutgers or Maryland, did you? You could have mentioned Northwestern, Minn or even Iowa to aspire to but once again, you didn't.
If you would have mention all of those, I wouldn't have complained.
Your OP sounded just like the PU fans we make fun of when it comes to basketball. Totally fixated on the other school.

Reactions: vesuvius13

IMO, that is what we all make fun of PU and their little brother role in basketball.

PU has been ahead of IU for the most part since Tiller was hired, so I think that's a good start. Even when they aren't winning they have fans at that ugly stadium they have.

But you didn't mention Rutgers or Maryland, did you? You could have mentioned Northwestern, Minn or even Iowa to aspire to but once again, you didn't.
Your OP sounded just like the PU fans we make fun of when it comes to basketball. Totally fixated on the other school.
The other school is a protected rival moving forward. Which in case you didn't know, means we play them every year. We also compete for instate recruits. Beating them on a consistent basis is important. Having an annual win vs a rival checked off preseason would be monumental. When is the last time we were able to do that vs a B1G team?

Furthermore, have we ever been remotely good the last 2 decades without actually beating that aforementioned other team? No. We haven't. With the exception of 2020 (we would have won anyway), every single one of our bowl teams beat the other team that same year. And 2 more years when missed a bowl because we lost that same game.

So yes. I'm focused on the new HC dominating that other team. The first step to a great program, is a step over that pile of puke up north.

Come on, we're not even close to their level of obsession. When we start yelling "PU sucks" at every kickoff, then we can talk. And equivalent in BB would be yelling that before tip-off or even a basket. Wanting to dominate your rival is not an obsession - it's a requirement.

Come on, we're not even close to their level of obsession. When we start yelling "PU sucks" at every kickoff, then we can talk. And equivalent in BB would be yelling that before tip-off or even a basket. Wanting to dominate your rival is not an obsession - it's a requirement.
A student section chanting that doesn't = the entire fanbase. Wish they'd stick with cancer sucks every game.

Reactions: tenwest and DANC
A student section chanting that doesn't = the entire fanbase. Wish they'd stick with cancer sucks every game.
It's more than just the student section and it is more than just football.

The IU/PU rivalry is 75% owned by pu grads and that is awesome with us.

Hope you never stop chanting about us Gilligan.

It defines your fanbase.

Yeah, gotta have much bigger goals than beating a program a half step above us.

Let's set our initial sights on MSU level (absent the moral decay of course) or Iowa or Wisky.

Let's get there first.

Reactions: Al Bino
Literally every kickoff, the overwhelming majority of the Purdue contingent does it. I assume "Hail Fire" is still part of your game day festivities. Crazy thing I noticed a couple weeks ago, your fans have managed to incorporate it into Sweet Caroline. Kind of embarrassing no?

Yeah, gotta have much bigger goals than beating a program a half step above us.

Let's set our initial sights on MSU level (absent the moral decay of course) or Iowa or Wisky.

Let's get there first.
Being on the level Iowa or Wisconsin means beating pu regularly. Wisconsin is dominant. That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

If we don't focus on beating programs a "half step above us" how are we going to think we can win 8-9-10 games every year?

Want to be Wisconsin? Dominate pu.

Being on the level Iowa or Wisconsin means beating pu regularly. Wisconsin is dominant. That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

If we don't focus on beating programs a "half step above us" how are we going to think we can win 8-9-10 games every year?

Want to be Wisconsin? Dominate pu.
Ok, but the post reads as if PUke is the goal and they are not even close. Now that their schedule will be somewhat closer to ours, their level is dropping fast.

I said 6-7 wins and so far I am a blown FSU game away from looking to be pretty close. Where I was wrong about Purdue is how little depth they have. I thought they had more.
You ALWAYS think Purdue has more than they do; you're a fan and it skews your vision.

Reactions: DANC
It absolutely enrages some of our fans, which is likely why you guys continue to do it. No offense, but we never cared what you guys did because we never measured ourselves against Purdue. That’s never been the case for certain fans.

It absolutely enrages some of our fans, which is likely why you guys continue to do it. No offense, but we never cared what you guys did because we never measured ourselves against Purdue. That’s never been the case for certain fans.

No one that I know gets enraged about it.
It is a cause for amusement and I have been in Mackey when it was chanted.

Literally every kickoff, the overwhelming majority of the Purdue contingent does it. I assume "Hail Fire" is still part of your game day festivities. Crazy thing I noticed a couple weeks ago, your fans have managed to incorporate it into Sweet Caroline. Kind of embarrassing no?
Hail fire hasn't been a thing in like 6 years. But yes, the students chant iu sucks. I wish they would change to cancer sucks permanently.

What are you talking about?
I am talking about the IU sucks chant.
I had never even heard of "Hail fire".
It's a song , that according to Boiler N hasn't been used in a while. The only significant thing about it was the IU Sucks yell out at the end. So he may be correct but now, they have actually found a way to put it into Sweet Caroline. He seems to suggest that it's basically a student thing but we know that's BS.

Anyway, it's never made me anything but curious as to how effed up a fanbase can be. If I were a PU fan, I'd find it embarrassing.

What are you talking about?
I am talking about the IU sucks chant.
I had never even heard of "Hail fire".
Ya, they chant it at kickoffs. Students do. Wish they'd stop. Most non student fans do. Hail fire was the only time it was chanted in Mackey. They did away with it.

It's a song , that according to Boiler N hasn't been used in a while. The only significant thing about it was the IU Sucks yell out at the end. So he may be correct but now, they have actually found a way to put it into Sweet Caroline. He seems to suggest that it's basically a student thing but we know that's BS.

Anyway, it's never made me anything but curious as to how effed up a fanbase can be. If I were a PU fan, I'd find it embarrassing.
How is it BS? Every time I go to rossade, no one in my section yells iu sucks. It comes from the student section. Maybe a few randoms, but the mass majority of people I know hate it. That and shout.

I've also never heard iu sucks in sweet Caroline and didn't say it in sweet Caroline when I was a student. No idea where it would even fit in. And we sang sweet Caroline every bball game.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT