ADVERTISEMENT

All the pressure is on PU while IU has nothing to lose

Broilees will fold. Brohmbardi will be beet red yelling expletives at the refs while when take the bucket, break the pukes hearts and send them to another post season drubbing they never should have had the ticket to.
Lol my new stalker is after you.

Weather looks improved. Heading down about 10

Coach Birthmark vs. Coach Spaz.

Said before that Allen got his one and only win vs Brohm back in 2019. As long as the two remain at these schools, Brohm wins out. Have no confidence in Allen to do anything under pressure. Purdue is just okay. Nothing great. Unfortunately, Allen has his program at rock bottom now and we will look unprepared.

Reactions: Sophie1970

Said before that Allen got his one and only win vs Brohm back in 2019. As long as the two remain at these schools, Brohm wins out. Have no confidence in Allen to do anything under pressure. Purdue is just okay. Nothing great. Unfortunately, Allen has his program at rock bottom now and we will look unprepared.
Guess we will see what Allen is made of tomorrow. Real or imposter. Either way set for life by our AD’s overreaction.

Reactions: Indyhorn and wibler
Yep. The worst that can happen to Tom Allen is he gets a $25 million paycheck

There is zero evidence that Brohm is on some higher tier of coaching than Allen like you constantly like to imply. He has two bad years on his resume like Allen does. And while has more bowl appearances, he also coaches on the much weaker side of the conference. Allen's 2017 and 2018 teams are both very, very likely bowl teams if they got to replace a couple of the Big Three with West teams.

He only leads head-to-head 3-1, with two of his wins being in WL where you'd expect Purdue to win. Conversely, Allen is a better recruiter, arguably by a pretty significant margin. The only significant thing Brohm clearly has in his favor is more big upsets. They are both flawed coaches in different ways, but there's nothing either has shown or done that makes them meaningfully better or worse than the other when you consider their overall tenures.

To be fair to TA (which you rarely are), he would have clearly had his second bucket in 2020 making it 2-3 coming into today, and 3-3 as am IU coach (DC).

There is zero evidence that Brohm is on some higher tier of coaching than Allen like you constantly like to imply. He has two bad years on his resume like Allen does. And while has more bowl appearances, he also coaches on the much weaker side of the conference. Allen's 2017 and 2018 teams are both very, very likely bowl teams if they got to replace a couple of the Big Three with West teams.

He only leads head-to-head 3-1, with two of his wins being in WL where you'd expect Purdue to win. Conversely, Allen is a better recruiter, arguably by a pretty significant margin. The only significant thing Brohm clearly has in his favor is more big upsets. They are both flawed coaches in different ways, but there's nothing either has shown or done that makes them meaningfully better or worse than the other when you consider their overall tenures.
Well, as was pointed out in another thread. We share 4 common opponents this season and PU went 3-1 while only losing by 3 in the loss. IU went 1-3 against the same teams and got spanked by 31. Would coaching have anything to do with that abysmal comparison?

Reactions: wibler and kmathum

He's not on some higher Tier. No he's not. But his optics sure are better. Especially when you look at the course of their tenure, who they took over from, where they started and where they are at now.

As for recruiting.... who has Allen recruited that has really done anything meaningful for IU? Mullen was a stud early in his career but he's almost invisible now. Penix who is tearing it up at Washington? Who has Allen recruited that has been better than David Bell, Karlaftis, Rondale Moore, or any QB he starts? Allen's recruiting classes look great on paper, but they play like paper when on the field.

It really shows how the divisions have really screwed us over though. Brohm as a chance at going to Indy that Allen will never ever have. Even when we went 6-1, the B1G went out of their way to stab us in the back.

or any QB he starts?
That’s arguably been Brohm’s greatest mystery. Blough and Sindelar were Hazell recruits and AOC joined Purdue as a walk-on the same year he took the Purdue job. Every QB that Brohm has actually recruited has either transferred out (Plummer), switched positions (Pfieri), failed to develop (Alaimo), or is a true freshman (Allen).

Purdue has a chance to salvage what should have been a once in a lifetime season for them with a win today (8-4 should have been the bare minimum given their schedule), but just goes to show how embarrassing the division alignments really are. An 8-4 Purdue team with 3 conference losses playing for a chance at a NY6 bowl is a terrible look for the conference.

That’s arguably been Brohm’s greatest mystery. Blough and Sindelar were Hazell recruits and AOC joined Purdue as a walk-on the same year he took the Purdue job. Every QB that Brohm has actually recruited has either transferred out (Plummer), switched positions (Pfieri), failed to develop (Alaimo), or is a true freshman (Allen).

Purdue has a chance to salvage what should have been a once in a lifetime season for them with a win today (8-4 should have been the bare minimum given their schedule), but just goes to show how embarrassing the division alignments really are. An 8-4 Purdue team with 3 conference losses playing for a chance at a NY6 bowl is a terrible look for the conference.

I think PUke was supposed to be 2nd in the West this year at 8-4. But the West is soooo bad that 8-4 can actually win. An absolute embarrassment.

It's our duty to make sure we win and keep them out of Indy.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think PUke was supposed to be 2nd in the West this year at 8-4. But the West is soooo bad that 8-4 can actually win. An absolute embarrassment.

It's our duty to make sure we win tomorrow and keep them out of Indy.
Given that Iowa and Wisconsin were absolutely dreadful this year (especially Iowa with an historically bad offense) yet still managed to beat Purdue handily should signal anything less than 8-4 as a failed season.

And imagine what it would look like if we beat both B1Gw front runners Illinois and PU. One of them will go to Indy.

Ridiculous.
Yes, and what’s crazier is that there is still a path for Iowa. If Illinois and Purdue both lose today, Iowa with 4 conference losses gets the invite to Indy.

Given that Iowa and Wisconsin were absolutely dreadful this year (especially Iowa with an historically bad offense) yet still managed to beat Purdue handily should signal anything less than 8-4 as a failed season.
If 8 wins (TA's high water mark) is a failure for Brohm... than that is sad on many many levels.

Reactions: Beorik
If 8 wins (TA's high water mark) is a failure for Brohm... than that is sad on many many levels.
Anything less than 8-4 I said. If IU went 7-5 with Purdue’s schedule this year I’d be disappointed myself.

Anything less than 8-4 I said. If IU went 7-5 with Purdue’s schedule this year I’d be disappointed myself.
IU had had 9 winnable games this year and won 4 (44%).

Purdue gad had 11 winnable games this year and won 7 (64%).

No matter the outcome today, I would rather be Purdue.

We have a long earned reputation of accepting and being happy with underachievement. Reading the threads here today sums up our commitment to mediocrity quite well. As a long time IU fan, ticket holder and alum, it makes me sad.

Reactions: nurban
We have a long earned reputation of accepting and being happy with underachievement. Reading the threads here today sums up our commitment to mediocrity quite well. As a long time IU fan, ticket holder and alum, it makes me sad.
I am not happy with this season but trying to compare Purdue and Indiana in football anymore is pretty hard given the West is hot garbage. We have what would be 3 conference losses for either team baked into our schedule every year. I would gladly trade Iowa, Wisconsin, and ? For Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year.

Nah. I never want to be Purdue.

I'd like their schedule though.

Define winnable?

Purdue’s toughest game on paper this year was their first game at home to Penn State. They were 3 point underdogs….

I am not happy with this season but trying to compare Purdue and Indiana in football anymore is pretty hard given the West is hot garbage. We have what would be 3 conference losses for either team baked into our schedule every year. I would gladly trade Iowa, Wisconsin, and ? For Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year.
As another poster has already said, the head to head match ups tell a pretty clear story to this point in the season. Our argument that we’re better because we get slaughtered by OSU and UM isn't one that suggests, in any way, that we’re building a winning program.

Nah. I never want to be Purdue.

I'd like their schedule though.
Not going to argue with anyone that points to the schedule as the only difference between IU and Purdue. 9 winnable games and won 4. If they had not had Ohio St or Mich on their schedule then what? Do the win 1 more? Maybe?

It sucks having those two on the schedule every year but even looking at the rest of the schedule, IU has been terrible.

IU has recruited solid talent but has a huge coaching issue. Say what you want about Purdue and Brohm but 6 years ago they were probably the worst power 5 team and now are competitive against almost everyone they play and has gone to 4 of 6 bowl games.

If IU starts winning 60+% of their winnable games then that would be awesome. Love him or hate him, Brohm is doing that with coaching, not incredible talent. Their classes are on par with IUs or below most years.

Reactions: bang63
Define winnable?

Purdue’s toughest game on paper this year was their first game at home to Penn State. They were 3 point underdogs….
Teams not named Ohio St or Michigan.

And I agree which is why I said all 11 of Purdue’s games so far were winnable. And only 9 winnable for IU.

Reactions: IUCX9
Not going to argue with anyone that points to the schedule as the only difference between IU and Purdue. 9 winnable games and won 4. If they had not had Ohio St or Mich on their schedule then what? Do the win 1 more? Maybe?

It sucks having those two on the schedule every year but even looking at the rest of the schedule, IU has been terrible.

IU has recruited solid talent but has a huge coaching issue. Say what you want about Purdue and Brohm but 6 years ago they were probably the worst power 5 team and now are competitive against almost everyone they play and has gone to 4 of 6 bowl games.

If IU starts winning 60+% of their winnable games then that would be awesome. Love him or hate him, Brohm is doing that with coaching, not incredible talent. Their classes are on par with IUs or below most years.
By the time IU kicks off this afternoon, they will have been double digit underdogs in six of their 12 games. Trying to figure out where you get 9 winnable games out of that equation?

Teams not named Ohio St or Michigan.

And I agree which is why I said all 11 of Purdue’s games so far were winnable. And only 9 winnable for IU.
So every game but undefeated Ohio St and Michigan were winnable this year? Good lord.

By the time IU kicks off this afternoon, they will have been double digit underdogs in six of their 12 games. Trying to figure out where you get 9 winnable games out of that equation?
Because many are arguing that the schedule is the difference between IU and Purdue. My point is that IU is performing much worse against teams even excluding Ohio St and Mich. IU is double digit underdogs not because they are playing better teams (4 common opponents)…. But because they are performing worse. Purdue played and should have beat Penn St a week before Penn St annihilated Auburn.

IMO every game IU played this year other than Ohio St and Mich was a winnable game if they had a good coach. Not say they will or should win them all but should be competitive.

So every game but undefeated Ohio St and Michigan were winnable this year? Good lord.
Because many are arguing that the schedule is the difference between IU and Purdue. My point is that IU is performing much worse against teams even excluding Ohio St and Mich. IU is double digit underdogs not because they are playing better teams (4 common opponents)…. But because they are performing worse. Purdue played and should have beat Penn St a week before Penn St annihilated Auburn.

IMO every game IU played this year other than Ohio St and Mich was a winnable game if they had a good coach. Not say they will or should win them all but should be competitive.

OSU Michigan and PSU were Longshot. Always.

MD Rutgers and MSU were winnable. We went 1-2.

Illinois Nebraska and PU winnable. 1-1 so far.

3 noncon were all winnable. 2-1 there.

9 winnable games.

So IU is 9-2 right now with a good coach?

OSU Michigan and PSU were Longshot. Always.

MD Rutgers and MSU were winnable. We went 1-2.

Illinois Nebraska and PU winnable. 1-1 so far.

3 noncon were all winnable. 2-1 there.

9 winnable games.
They were 17 point underdogs on the road against Cincy? If having a punchers chance now equals “winnable” then I guess every team in America has 8-9 winnable games a year. That’s not how it works though.

They were 17 point underdogs on the road against Cincy? If having a punchers chance now equals “winnable” then I guess every team in America has 8-9 winnable games a year. That’s not how it works though.
Fine. Cincinnati not winnable.

Still leaves 8 winnable games. So who are you going to elevate if we can't win 6?

So IU is 9-2 right now with a good coach?
No but a good coach would win at least half or more of their winnable games imo. So 5-6 or 6-5 would reflect a good coach with IUs schedule to this point if they had an average year. And of course be competitive in most games.

If they were to win 7 of their 10 winnable games (after today), imo that would have been a good year. 8-9 wins would have been a great year. 4 wins is incredibly underwhelming. Especially with several being completely non competitive.

I will fully admit that the Rutgers and Maryland games are two that IU want back, especially Rutgers, but coming off a season in which they went 1-11 the year prior, did anyone seriously think IU was going to win 8-9 games this year? I personally saw a path to 7 and that would have included everything going right (which rarely happens), but 5 sounded right and there’s still a chance that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT