ADVERTISEMENT

After a missed FT...

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Is my dementia kicking in again? Used to be that after a missed free throw, the IU kids would give their teammate a "that's okay" pat on the ass. (I hated that. Pat 'em on the ass if he makes it ffs...) It just dawned on me that I don't recall seeing them do that this year. Am I right? Has CAM done away with that idiocy?

I always hate when teams do that. If you miss a FT you don’t deserve a pat on the back. Make your free throws if you want that.

Is my dementia kicking in again? Used to be that after a missed free throw, the IU kids would give their teammate a "that's okay" pat on the ass. (I hated that. Pat 'em on the ass if he makes it ffs...) It just dawned on me that I don't recall seeing them do that this year. Am I right? Has CAM done away with that idiocy?

I'm sure Archie is really concerned with his team not giving pats on the rear end after missed free throws.

I always hate when teams do that. If you miss a FT you don’t deserve a pat on the back. Make your free throws if you want that.
But am I remembering right? Have they quit doing it this year (it was rampant under Crean).

I'm sure Archie is really concerned with his team not giving pats on the rear end after missed free throws.
I know it's a minor/silly point, but if I was the new guy and trying to change the culture, it would be a good place to start: "No attaboys for missed free throws."

I know it's a minor/silly point, but if I was the new guy and trying to change the culture, it would be a good place to start: "No attaboys for missed free throws."

I don't specifically remember what they did under Crean, but if there is a difference between this year and last year with this specific action I would bet Crean was more pushing them to do it than Archie is trying to push them away from it. Crean was so pro positive encouragement.

Reactions: cryano
It always drove me crazy watching all this hand slapping at the free throw line, whether the player made the shot or not.

Forget about all that crap. Concentrate on make your FREE throws, especially if you missed the first one. Rebounders should be thinking about getting to the ball if the shot is missed.

All this is a distraction from the game, and distracts the shooter IMO.

Reactions: IUgradman
It always drove me crazy watching all this hand slapping at the free throw line, whether the player made the shot or not.

Forget about all that crap. Concentrate on make your FREE throws, especially if you missed the first one. Rebounders should be thinking about getting to the ball if the shot is missed.

It’s routine now. After an IU player shoots a foul shot (hit or miss) he reaches forward and slaps the hands of the two IU rebounders and then reaches back so the other two players can slap his hands too. Doesn’t seem to make enough difference.

Another fad right now is the obligatory team meeting in the foul lane after every dead ball. Have to think a couple gallons of sweat drip onto the two foul lanes during a game because of this.

No kidding! I remember this one guy who was obsessed with his socks, EVERY FT! It was like it was part of his routine!:)

It’s routine now. After an IU player shoots a foul shot (hit or miss) he reaches forward and slaps the hands of the two IU rebounders and then reaches back so the other two players can slap his hands too. Doesn’t seem to make enough difference.

Another fad right now is the obligatory team meeting in the foul lane after every dead ball. Have to think a couple gallons of sweat drip onto the two foul lanes during a game because of this.
it is just not at IU but all over all levels of basketball. I never understood why you would want to high five someone after missing a shot.

it is just not at IU but all over all levels of basketball. I never understood why you would want to high five someone after missing a shot.
And, how does a FT shooter improve his chances of hitting the next FT by doing this semi-superstitious routine that inevitably distracts his concentration from the next foul shot?

Come to think of it, do ANY of the top NBA free throw shooters go through this ritual of letting their teammates’ hand-slapping help them think they are going to hit the next free throw? I don’t think Alford or Reggie Miller did this. Let’s start with them

All the great FT shooters have their own rituals. I think this is a case of reading too much into it. Whatever they do differently from the last few years hasn't seemed to help....

If they miss they pat them to give them a vote of confidence. It's not like they are giving them a pat and say good job for missing, keep it up.

Really! If it distracted the shooter then why wouldn't he say stop doing it.This is the crap you guys come on here to talk about. Is your lives so pathetic you have to go on an Indiana basketball forum and talk about pats on the back side or hand slaps.

Reactions: IU40IU
And, how does a FT shooter improve his chances of hitting the next FT by doing this semi-superstitious routine that inevitably distracts his concentration from the next foul shot?

It obviously distracts YOU.

Maybe it takes their minds off this...

To show support and encouragement. "You got this...hit this one".

I don't care if they do it or not, but that is what it is.

Ollie just didn't get slapped on the butt. He got shoulder slapped by the player from Linton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT