ADVERTISEMENT

Crean, Lil' Arch or Woody

B_Town_Buford

Benchwarmer
Dec 23, 2020
If ya'lls was the AD and making the hire, knowin what ya know now, who ya got?
I'm taking Tommy. He got us to the #1 in all the land of the free plus...
and it makes me a bit emotional, so pardon but those sweet ass, sweet 16 rings he gave out to the team when we got there was magical... got goose bumps just thinking bout em..

both me and the missus got a bit teary eyed watchin that in the news. Also, I still got my "we're back" commemerative t shirt
I say we throw the bank to Crean and make us believers again. Come home Tommy, come on back

Regards,
The Buford

and it makes me a bit emotional, so pardon but those sweet ass, sweet 16 rings he gave out to the team when we got there was magical... got goose bumps just thinking bout em..

both me and the missus got a bit teary eyed watchin that in the news. Also, I still got my "we're back" commemerative t shirt
I say we throw the bank to Crean and make us believers again. Come home Tommy, come on back

Regards,
The Buford
I know those sweet 16 rings got you goin Buford! That is a Natty in WL

Regards,
The Buford
Billy Donavan looks pretty miserable on the Bulls bench. Anyone heard from FPeaugh lately?

Regards,
The Buford

Sampson, Crean, Woody, Arch

Crean easily..He won two out right Big Ten championships..
Woodson isn't trending that way..
Sure Crean got Zeller and Yogi.. You got to get the Jimmy's and Joe's. .
And a 5 star that probably didn't even get1 silver star in kindergarten In trouble with the police before one game is played. Looks like hes completely lost in every facet of the game. And the care less look on his face takes the taco. I hope hes one and done. Im just happy that I am old enough to have seen IU basketball when it was something to look forward to and you could have a realistic look to reaching the final four more often than not. This is hard to watch. And these guys get paid to do this? Really? What a joke. Crean took over one of the most screwed up programs and turned it around from nothing but trouble that was created before him coming in. I dont think he was a great coach by any means, but the program went forward and players developed under him. He had no stars that on to become 4 and 5 stars. Thats way more than I can say for what I have seen with this "coach"

Crean easily..He won two out right Big Ten championships..
Woodson isn't trending that way..
Sure Crean got Zeller and Yogi.. You got to get the Jimmy's and Joe's. .
Are you for real? Maybe you are senile. Woodson’s first two years are better than 6 of Crean’s 9 years. Crean was here 9 years and finished with 18 or fewer wins 5 times.

Regards,
The Buford

Woodson wouldn't have lost to ****ing Syracuse like Crean did.

Give Woodson Hulls, Zeller, Dipo, etc. and they probably keep the overall 1 seed and go to the F4, instead of what Crean did.

Here's one for you: when is PU going to stop absolutely shitting the bed in March? I mean...let's not act like last year didn't just happen. And the one before that. And the one before that. And the one before that. And the one before that.

And the one before that.

Regards,
The Buford
1 loss wow

And a 5 star that probably didn't even get1 silver star in kindergarten In trouble with the police before one game is played. Looks like hes completely lost in every facet of the game. And the care less look on his face takes the taco. I hope hes one and done. Im just happy that I am old enough to have seen IU basketball when it was something to look forward to and you could have a realistic look to reaching the final four more often than not. This is hard to watch. And these guys get paid to do this? Really? What a joke. Crean took over one of the most screwed up programs and turned it around from nothing but trouble that was created before him coming in. I dont think he was a great coach by any means, but the program went forward and players developed under him. He had no stars that on to become 4 and 5 stars. Thats way more than I can say for what I have seen with this "coach"
All of this after 1 loss, The sky is falling in Bloomington.

Are you for real? Maybe you are senile. Woodson’s first two years are better than 6 of Crean’s 9 years. Crean was here 9 years and finished with 18 or fewer wins 5 times.
Sure he became clownish..And his subsistution pattern was terrible..I'm not saying he had to go..
But two out right Big Ten trophy's...Woodson's been a team that won one.
But he's not sniffing one as a coach...
It's just another mediocre hire.imo

Probably Woodson...

Here's a growing concern I have with Woodson, though.

He coaches, and now really, really sounds like an NBA coach. He says things about the players not playing defense, or not rebounding, etc... These are things coaches of professional athletes say, because there are basic assumptions that can be made about a pros abilities, experiences, motivations, etc...

When you're talking about college kids, its very possible that they actually don't know how to do the things you're complaining about...or aren't yet comfortable doing them...or just aren't good enough at them.

I hope like hell Woody has spent adequate time coaching, drilling, demanding these things that he's complaining about to the media...all the things college coaches have to do that NBA coaches don't have to worry about...

Because it sure looks like they've not spent a ton of time on it. And from the quotes I've seen and heard, there really hasn't been a ton of talk about them not doing thing things they've worked a ton on. Its just "they can't do this?...or They aren't doing that..." Anyone can see that, Coach. How about..."We've worked every single day on defensive rotations since August...they need to take that in to games." He doesn't say that, my guess, because they haven't put the work in. No way they'd be this bad at the simple things if they had.

Having said all that...I'd still take Woody. That's how low a view I had on Crean, and then how bad a fit I think Archie was for IU. And one of the things I think Woody's teams have shown, despite the inconsistencies and poor play at times, is resilience.

You can say the same thing about Mike Davis's first 2 season where he rode Knight's stud recruits Jeffries, Haston, Fife, Coverdale, etc to great success. Then they left, Davis was left with his own team, and the wheels came off. I fear we're seeing something similar here.

Reactions: ndhuntington
You can say the same thing about Mike Davis's first 2 season where he rode Knight's stud recruits Jeffries, Haston, Fife, Coverdale, etc to great success. Then they left, Davis was left with his own team, and the wheels came off. I fear we're seeing something similar here.
Except Knights players had success before Davis took over. The players Woodson inherited didn’t have any success until he was their coach.

Except Knights players had success before Davis took over. The players Woodson inherited didn’t have any success until he was their coach.

Woodson has had success? Must have missed it.

I mean he is like a game over .500 in conference play and bested mighty Kent St in a tourney game. Is that now the definition of success?

I mean he is like a game over .500 in conference play and bested mighty Kent St in a tourney game. Is that now the definition of success?
Yes, the narrative is that under Miller everything was absolute garbage and Woodson turned everything completely around.

After all, MW took IU to the tournament in his first year after 6 straight whiffs.

BUT, that’s not the whole story.

Look more closely and you’ll see that MWs first year was a mirror image of millers second to last season. The only difference is that MW made the NCAAs (play in game), while the tournament was cancelled for Miller. Both of those teams were similarly Bubbly in their resumes.

I think it’s only now that we can begin to see what we have in MW as far as being a college coach. I will say that his teams have shown a resilience. There were times in his first season where I thought the wheels may totally fall off, but they kept fighting.

Yes, the narrative is that under Miller everything was absolute garbage and Woodson turned everything completely around.

Per who?

Stop making up other peoples' opinions.

As somebody who comes here only sporadically, the tone is definitely more "anti Woodson" than pro.

IMO.

But, nice straw men argument! Anytime you can impute what you presume others think into your argument, it's a solid ploy. People lacking critical thinking skills eat it up. It's a common thing nowadays.

Well, he made the tourney in year 1, made the 2nd round in year 2...so...in a very very general sense, he has shown improvement.

I'd like to see more balance and some shooters, finally. I think Woodson coaches a decent game, although I'm not qualified to say. He's got a winning record v Painter.

No, it hasn't been the storybook thing we were hoping, but that was always a fool's hope.

Until IU cuts the cord w the current AD and starts anew, we will be mired in this uncomfortable post-RMK era, I fear. I wish no ill will to Dolson, Glass, etc., but it's time to go a different direction.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7

Let me see if I can help you understand.

Miller won 53.6% of his games.
Woodson has won 64% of his games.

Miller made one tournament (maybe) in 4 years of coaching.
Woodson made 2 tournaments in 2 years.

Miller won 0 tournament games in 4 years.
Woodson has won 2 in two years.

Miller best conference finish was 6th at 9-9.
Woodson’s best finish was 2nd at 12-8.

So yeah in 2 years I would say Woodson has had a ton more success.

Well, he made the tourney in year 1, made the 2nd round in year 2...so...in a very very general sense, he has shown improvement.

I'd like to see more balance and some shooters, finally. I think Woodson coaches a decent game, although I'm not qualified to say. He's got a winning record v Painter.

No, it hasn't been the storybook thing we were hoping, but that was always a fool's hope.

Until IU cuts the cord w the current AD and starts anew, we will be mired in this uncomfortable post-RMK era, I fear. I wish no ill will to Dolson, Glass, etc., but it's time to go a different direction.

This year definitely looks a big step back. Don't see this team making the tourney. Still no competent back court play, 3rd year in.

• Angry
Reactions: go_iu and Willdog7
Let me see if I can help you understand.

Miller won 53.6% of his games.
Woodson has won 64% of his games.

Miller made one tournament (maybe) in 4 years of coaching.
Woodson made 2 tournaments in 2 years.

Miller won 0 tournament games in 4 years.
Woodson has won 2 in two years.

Miller best conference finish was 6th at 9-9.
Woodson’s best finish was 2nd at 12-8.

So yeah in 2 years I would say Woodson has had a ton more success.

Your definition of a "ton more success" is a lot different than mine, I guess.

This year is shaping up to look a lot more like Archie's first two years.

Your definition of a "ton more success" is a lot different than mine, I guess.

This year is shaping up to look a lot more like Archie's first two years.
Millers first two years huh? I completely missed where Miller had to reconstruct half his roster. I also missed where Woody lost to Indiana St by 21.

Millers first two years huh? I completely missed where Miller had to reconstruct half his roster. I also missed where Woody lost to Indiana St by 21.

Yes. 15 or so losses.... around .500 in conference. No tourney. You think we will be better than that?

Per who?

Stop making up other peoples' opinions.

As somebody who comes here only sporadically, the tone is definitely more "anti Woodson" than pro.

IMO.

But, nice straw men argument! Anytime you can impute what you presume others think into your argument, it's a solid ploy. People lacking critical thinking skills eat it up. It's a common thing nowadays.
Has anyone ever posted here that things were better under Miller?

I’ve seen posts critical of MW, and of his hire. But I must have missed the post or posts that said things were better under Miller. It’s ok to be critical of MW….that doesn’t mean someone thinks Miller was better.

In the latter years the Crean teams were turnover machines.

Plus they even struggled to inbound the ball. And no surprise, they struggle to shoot the 3.

Archie teams were at least an improvement on the turnovers and inbound. But sucked elsewhere.

It's amazing how quickly people forget these things. Must be built in bias so they have selective memory?

Crean recruited well and had decent success. His antics drove me nuts. I like Woody's personality much better. Should know in a couple of years how they compare. Right now, I'd go with Crean, but hoping that Woody wins out in that comparison over the next couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT