ADVERTISEMENT

Coach or Talent?

Indiana_1993

Redshirt
Nov 23, 2015
After watching the Illinois game, I was very frustrated with free throws. That made me think, how much of the loss should be placed at the feet of the players, and how much should be placed with the coach.

If we hit 80% of our FT, we likely win and coach gets a Pat on the back for executing a great game plan.

I once coached a little league baseball team that was never going to win a game. I was blamed for the mega-loss season, but the fact was, nobody on that team could hit, catch, or pitch.

Do we have a similar problem with guard play?

I think we have a few players who know what it takes to win in the BIG. Everyone else needs to find the practice Jersey and make room for a new set of players, who can catch, pitch, and hit!!

After watching the Illinois game, I was very frustrated with free throws. That made me think, how much of the loss should be placed at the feet of the players, and how much should be placed with the coach.

If we hit 80% of our FT, we likely win and coach gets a Pat on the back for executing a great game plan.

I once coached a little league baseball team that was never going to win a game. I was blamed for the mega-loss season, but the fact was, nobody on that team could hit, catch, or pitch.

I think we have a few players who know what it takes to win in the BIG. Everyone else needs to find the practice Jersey and make room for a new set of players, who can catch, pitch, and hit!!
You were supposed to teach them the skills needed to win. Perhaps your teaching skills were inadequate? Were they the Bad News Bears?

• Haha
Reactions: Indiana_1993

The difference is that Woodson offered these guys scholarships to play at IU. He is the one the thought they were good enough to win these games. So either way it seems to go back to the coach in his situation. And before we say that he didn’t recruit these seniors, nobody was saying that with the guys that were at IU last year. He was given credit for their performance last year by many even though he didn’t recruit them.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

Unlike Little League... Coach is also responsible for the complete make up of the roster. The guard issue was a known entity before the season. Which is what makes it so frustrating and unwatchable.

You were supposed to teach them the skills needed to win. Perhaps your teaching skills were inadequate? Were they the Bad News Bears?
Well some kids just don't learn, or don't have the neural wiring to play sports. Most are at least teachable enough to improve though. If nobody on the team improves, that's probably on the coach. If a few kids just never get it, that's probably on them.

In all seriousness. This is a big fail on the coach. Needed to recruit a team, not individual stars. Talent chosen is 100% his call. Not that he'd get everyone he wants but still, he picks his guys. Then coach them up as a team.
I'm not saying it's hopeless... It's just tough to believe right now.

Every result this team lays on the court, is Coach Woodson's responsibility. He brought (almost all) of these players here. Everything is on him.

We can debate what talent is: basketball talent vs athletic talent, recruiting rating vs production, etc. , etc.

our players are being paid a ton. It’s reasonable to assume that talent isn’t the issue (or I should say that compared to almost every other program we have the talent that we want, based on the money they are being paid).

I’ve sat in those rooms drafting little league players before. You got abused by the good ole boy network, didn’t you? Your boys just needed to taught to slide with spikes up

Well, he recruited most of these players. So, it’s on him. I’m not saying fire CMW, but I am saying his seat is getting a little warm.

If the trajectory for this year remains, and we don’t flip the switch in a major way next year, his tenure is over.

Woody is responsible for recruiting, having his players hustle and play smart, etc...But at some point you have to look at the players. X missing 3 of 4 Ft's down the stretch. No player making a 3 and that includes senior Galloway. Malike fouling out. Ware not playing. It's tough to win a Big 10 game when no one can hit a jumper or a foul shot especially late in the game.

Reactions: bbafficionado
I’ve sat in those rooms drafting little league players before. You got abused by the good ole boy network, didn’t you? Your boys just needed to taught to slide with spikes up
Yeah, I think rec league stuff is worse in baseball, or it is where I am, with stacked rosters. I liked the bball league I coached in for my son. We did 2 evaluation dates and tried to get every player in the league to come and they were rated on like 5 categories: dribbling, shooting, FT/layup, and defense, 1-5, everyone was rated including players kids, and then they were sorted by their average score. If a kid didn't make it, we'd still try and get 2 coaches to meet w them to evaluate. You also got their age and height, and we did a snaking draft (selected draft order and then it reversed next round, so last first rounder got the first 2nd round pick), like fantasy. Whereever the coach's kids graded out, that was their pick for that round (if my kid was a first rounder, that was my automatic first rounder). Still some fudging with kids not being judged or coaches kids sandbagging, but it worked pretty well. The years I coached, I'm not sure we ever had a team go undefeated or not win a game, which I think is a good sign and how it should be. Kids can learn from being on a bad team and losing, but it's no fun when you just don't have a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticArisen

I don't see clear demarcations between the two choices. Can't shoot during a game. Talent!

There is responsibility that goes both ways. If you don't have a foundation where You practiced fundamentals and free throws consistently, You don't have a foundation to Coach a player to improve. It's like putting Michael Jordan or Tim Tebow in a Major League Baseball uniform and telling the manager and hitting Coach to make them 300 hitters in 12 Months.

Add that to the fact that a lot of these players played AAU Ball where nobody cares about fundamentals including free throws, or if they play High School Ball and get a Coach Who demands work on fundamentals including free throws, and their parents threaten to transfer Them to another School., and You get undisciplined Players Who don't respect the fundamentals of the game or a Coach Who emphasizes fundamentals.

On the Coaching side, it's a matter of how much You incorporate free throw shooting into practices, and whether You or someone on Your staff can work with a Player to improve their shooting stroke and make it more consistent. Personally, if I were Coaching, I would be hesitant to recruit a Player Who hit less than 65% of his free throws in his final year of High School.

It's called a team for a reason. When IU loses the team loses, when IU wins the team wins, but ultimate responsibility for either result lies with the leader, because it's his job. If his followers don't follow, it's his fault that he picked or kept them, or failed to teach them, or didn't motivate them. He should not play them, or get rid of them ASAP if that's truly the dysfunction .. or it will be his ass that will be gotten rid of.

It takes both good leaders and good followers to be successful. One without the other equals failure.. On that note, the worst possible follower is the malcontent, it doesn't matter how proficient or skilled they are they will ruin everything good and make everything bad worse with their selfishness. Many of the whiners on this board would make for horrible teammates.. cultural cancers all of them.

It's called a team for a reason. When IU loses the team loses, when IU wins the team wins, but ultimate responsibility for either result lies with the leader, because it's his job. If his followers don't follow, it's his fault that he picked or kept them, or failed to teach them, or didn't motivate them. He should not play them, or get rid of them ASAP if that's truly the dysfunction .. or it will be his ass that will be gotten rid of.

It takes both good leaders and good followers to be successful. One without the other equals failure.. On that note, the worst possible follower is the malcontent, it doesn't matter how proficient or skilled they are they will ruin everything good and make everything bad worse with their selfishness. Many of the whiners on this board would make for horrible teammates.. cultural cancers all of them.
Your response had very little to do with the post. Therefore dumb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT