ADVERTISEMENT

Crean, Lil' Arch or Woody

Well, he made the tourney in year 1, made the 2nd round in year 2...so...in a very very general sense, he has shown improvement.

I'd like to see more balance and some shooters, finally. I think Woodson coaches a decent game, although I'm not qualified to say. He's got a winning record v Painter.

No, it hasn't been the storybook thing we were hoping, but that was always a fool's hope.

Until IU cuts the cord w the current AD and starts anew, we will be mired in this uncomfortable post-RMK era, I fear. I wish no ill will to Dolson, Glass, etc., but it's time to go a different direction.
Woodson kinda sold me last season after the AZ/Kansas debacles and X's season ending injury... That could've been the end of the season but somehow things turned around and that, folks, is team management. The ship was righted and many of the doubts and criticisms I had lessened by a mile. That's not to say things are perfect (or even great) but coach earned some serious respect from me by seeing how they turned things around after what could've been a MAJOR disaster.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The last IU teams that was fun to watch (for me, anyway) were the two years that Zeller was here. The UK/IU game in Zeller's freshman year tourney was some of the best played basketball we've seen out of IU since 2002, even with the disappointing end result. And obviously the following year was really good, other than the dud finish to it.

Things were just downhill from there...and I've yet to see anything approaching a well coached product since.

The last IU teams that was fun to watch (for me, anyway) were the two years that Zeller was here. The UK/IU game in Zeller's freshman year tourney was some of the best played basketball we've seen out of IU since 2002, even with the disappointing end result. And obviously the following year was really good, other than the dud finish to it.

Things were just downhill from there...and I've yet to see anything approaching a well coached product since.
There were glimpses in the second half of the 2015-16 season.

And a 5 star that probably didn't even get1 silver star in kindergarten In trouble with the police before one game is played. Looks like hes completely lost in every facet of the game. And the care less look on his face takes the taco. I hope hes one and done. Im just happy that I am old enough to have seen IU basketball when it was something to look forward to and you could have a realistic look to reaching the final four more often than not. This is hard to watch. And these guys get paid to do this? Really? What a joke. Crean took over one of the most screwed up programs and turned it around from nothing but trouble that was created before him coming in. I dont think he was a great coach by any means, but the program went forward and players developed under him. He had no stars that on to become 4 and 5 stars. Thats way more than I can say for what I have seen with this "coach"
dumb

Reactions: bbafficionado
What say you on woodrow after todays prize. Hum? Pearls job was no jem either It was made easier by stupid play, stupid substitutions and no desire to win brought front and center by the 1st hockey line change in the first half. I sure hope assembly hall still has some magic in it when Kansas comes to town.

Woodson wouldn't have lost to ****ing Syracuse like Crean did.
You do realize IU often gets boatraced by good teams away from Assembly Hall, right? I bet Crean wouldn't have lost to St. Mary's by 100.

In any case, Woody won't ever be in that situation--no chance IU earns a 1 seed during his tenure.

Crean recruited well and had decent success. His antics drove me nuts. I like Woody's personality much better. Should know in a couple of years how they compare. Right now, I'd go with Crean, but hoping that Woody wins out in that comparison over the next couple of years.

Tommy was a little zaney, agree with you there. Also, not sure if was our TV at the time but he was always lookin super duper tan. Even in Janurary!
The missus liked looking at him though and I caught her with a twinkle in her eye when Tommy would hike them pants up real high.

Nevertheless, he got us playing some pretty decent ball most of the time. Pretty sure TJD learned how to flex by watching Sheehey so often rule the court with some mean flexin after jammin one down.

Man, that seems forever ago.

Tommy was a little zaney, agree with you there. Also, not sure if was our TV at the time but he was always lookin super duper tan. Even in Janurary!
The missus liked looking at him though and I caught her with a twinkle in her eye when Tommy would hike them pants up real high

Man, that seems forever ago.

Interesting that you are projecting what Mrs Crean would fancy. Assuming you noticed and are referring to his heavenly blessed, moose knuckles? Not that there is anything wrong with that. No judging.

Was more fixated by his enthusiastic clapping while looking for the unique coaching placards.

Shame he wasn't successful at IU or we would have seen instructional placards everywhere across college sports -- from swimming to golf.

Last edited:
Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Crean....but to watch all of his weird antics on the sideline and hearing how he needed to "watch the tape" before answering any postgame questions would be very, very painful. Perhaps NIL could overcome his awkwardness with potential recruits.

Yes, the narrative is that under Miller everything was absolute garbage and Woodson turned everything completely around.

After all, MW took IU to the tournament in his first year after 6 straight whiffs.

BUT, that’s not the whole story.

Look more closely and you’ll see that MWs first year was a mirror image of millers second to last season. The only difference is that MW made the NCAAs (play in game), while the tournament was cancelled for Miller. Both of those teams were similarly Bubbly in their resumes.

I think it’s only now that we can begin to see what we have in MW as far as being a college coach. I will say that his teams have shown a resilience. There were times in his first season where I thought the wheels may totally fall off, but they kept fighting.
Yes, in Miller's third season IU was undoubtedly going to be in the tournament. That's why firing him after that season would have been ridiculous, and very expensive. His fourth season the wheels did actually fall off and IU surprisingly got the financial backing to fire him. As much as I was happy that we hired Miller (the only one of Davis, Sampson and Crean), I was ready for him to go.

Woodson wasn't even on my list of choices. He was a dark horse. Matta was my first choice, and his back wasn't ready for the sidelines again yet. However, we hired Woodson and his first year was as good as Miller's third year. Woodson's second year was better than any of the previous 6 years by a significant margin. Having him coach another year is a no brainer. He'll almost certainly be back next year, and it will be show or go.

You do realize IU often gets boatraced by good teams away from Assembly Hall, right? I bet Crean wouldn't have lost to St. Mary's by 100.

In any case, Woody won't ever be in that situation--no chance IU earns a 1 seed during his tenure.
Woodson will never sniff a sweet sixeteen. Last year was his ceiling.

• Wow
Reactions: Willdog7
Millers first two years huh? I completely missed where Miller had to reconstruct half his roster. I also missed where Woody lost to Indiana St by 21.
And Miller also lost to IU PU Fort Wayne, too.
Probably Crean. Woody easily dead last due to his age.

Probably Crean. Woody easily dead last due to his age.
Figures you would say that. You've been complaining all season about bad losses and Crean's IU team lost to Purdue Fort Wayne in 11/2016. That's about as bad as it gets.

Are you for real? Maybe you are senile. Woodson’s first two years are better than 6 of Crean’s 9 years. Crean was here 9 years and finished with 18 or fewer wins 5 times.
Woodson isnt the guy, but cant believe all the "Crean"s....
Crean was an absolute waste of a decade.
Shows you how forgiving and/or forgetful most peoples minds are.
Hell ill take archie before Crean.
Asolutely crazy to sAy Crean

I don’t think anyone is saying Crean is a great coach, we are just saying his decade run was miles better than the 7 seasons since. You really think Woody or Archie will win two outright Big Ten titles or make 3 Sweet Sixteens in the big Dance?

I don’t think anyone is saying Crean is a great coach, we are just saying his decade run was miles better than the 7 seasons since. You really think Woody or Archie will win two outright Big Ten titles or make 3 Sweet Sixteens in the big Dance?
Yes I realize that they arent saying Creans a great coach. Same as me reluctantly picking Woodson.
Yes I believe Archie and Woodson could accomplish the same in a decade.
Not based on coaching ability alone, but the upper tier talent that IU can attract, allowing to carry the coaches mentioned

Are you for real? Maybe you are senile. Woodson’s first two years are better than 6 of Crean’s 9 years. Crean was here 9 years and finished with 18 or fewer wins 5 times.
I’d also take Crean. After the house cleaning Crean inherited Kyle Taber and Brett Finklemeier !!! and there wasn’t a transfer portal. Creans first two years at IU shouldn’t be in his resume .
Id pick Crean, then Woody and then Archie (I never thought a coach would barely edge out Archie, as he was horrible, but Woody barely edges him out).

Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Both Crean and Archie were widely hailed as good hires at the time.

Sampson was known to be what he was. RMK as well, for that matter, when he was put on a "zero tolerance" plan.

Lessons that should have been learned:

Success at lower levels doesn't always translate up.

Tigers don't change their stripes.

Ya, I mean you got a point if you want to get all technical n stuff., k, bye.

But this opinion is hard to dispute: for the most part, Tommy had the guys playing an exciting brand of ball. You knew there was a VERY solid chance of victory nearly every game. The boys could light it up hotter than one of Cav's spliffs

Crean games were generally not exciting unless exciting was measured by "faster" and "deflections" and clapping.

Yes he could win when he had the right group of players. So could Woodson.

Reactions: Willdog7
Yes I realize that they arent saying Creans a great coach. Same as me reluctantly picking Woodson.
Yes I believe Archie and Woodson could accomplish the same in a decade.
Not based on coaching ability alone, but the upper tier talent that IU can attract, allowing to carry the coaches mentioned
I really question whether Archie would ever accomplish a B1G championship or Sweet 16 if you gave him a decade. The program was in shambles when he was let go and he has been a similar disaster at ... what...Rhode Island now?

I don't accept the argument that he would've replicated the modest success that Crean experienced at all.

Who knows about Woody. We're just now getting a look at what he can do with his own players. Year one doesn't look too promising, though. The fact that IU is not only losing, but also being an embarrassment on national TV due to flagarant fouls is a problem with how the program is being perceived.

Fair or not, it's an issue right now. Woody has to deal with this before it gets worse.

Reactions: Willdog7 and kkott
I know those sweet 16 rings got you goin Buford! That is a Natty in WL
Wrong! Those are the Big 10 conference champs rings!

Did you see Edey and Gillis brandishing those about at B10 media day. It was sad.

Yes, amazing how many are willing to put a mad man in charge of their organization. Also can't believe no one as said: D) None of the Above.

Sad? IU would die to compete for one right now!
Yes, we'd love to be competitve at the top of the conference, but it doesn't mean much in terms of accomplishments, especially at the national level, with the unbalanced schedule. I think the conference tournament means more now in terms of "accomplishment". PU had a very easy conference schedule last year, and with that imbalance, the regular season title will never mean as much.

Plus, I just thought it was especially embarrasing because we all know about FDU, so it was like they were trying to compensate and still have a "look at me moment". Of course, we all know what PU's "look at me moment" was last year!

Reactions: z_one
Dunno bout ya'll but I'm ready for another phase of 'The Movement'
and not talking about one from the bowels

Shoot, Jimbo already clogged the shitter up twice this mornin. Gets a bit cumbersome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT