ADVERTISEMENT

A lot of chatter on Chris Creighton….

My kingdom for finding another DeBoer level up and comer. (Ok, 20 bucks)
Creighton would be great. (You guys make a good case.) He's also about the right age, he might be less interested in jumping around after he shows the world what Indiana can be. Not that I'm worried about that. Good problem to have. (Just put a massive buyout in place...)

Last edited:
Yeah, I checked that yesterday after seeing his first two years the record was terrible. It was just as terrible before, and longer.
And now they don't suck. He's doing really well. I can't see IU admin going that way, ever. Just not splashy enough. But you make a case. So I think most fans here like me would give him a fair no. of years.

I am fine with a bit of a gamble on a young head coach.
But a big name would bring recruits and portal guys that could play right away.

Reactions: bang63
Solid coach. Turned a bad MAC program into a decent one, but not beyond that, maxing out at 5-3 in the conference after 0 years. Honestly need to do better than this though. This is a Power 5 (now 4) program. Should be aiming high. Even still, if we go MAC, much prefer Candle.

Last edited:
Reactions: iulb and nichlee
Yeah, I checked that yesterday after seeing his first two years the record was terrible. It was just as terrible before, and longer.
And now they don't suck. He's doing really well. I can't see IU admin going that way, ever. Just not splashy enough. But you make a case. So I think most fans here like me would give him a fair no. of years.

Has IU ever made a splashy hire in any sport, much less football?

with Sorsby gone, it’s also worth noting that Creighton himself was an All Conference QB at Kenyon, setting the conference record for touchdown passes in a season. That record was later broken by a QB he coached at Wabash.

His record shows that he is able to recruit and coach good quarterbacks. It’s kind of a calling card of his.

Archie Miller was splashy when hired

No, Brad Stevens would've been a splashy hire.
Archie was a successful mid-major coach who quickly proved that he was over his head at IU.
Splashy? Nah...
The best we could get at the time? Probably so.

Chris Creighton would be a great hire for IU. He has taken an absolute s4ithole of a program and made it respectable. He’s a great recruiter. Knows Indiana, Michigan (Detroit), and Florida well. And a great in game coach.
Your last sentence caught my undivided attention. Our last two head coaches were lousy in game coaches.

Is he prepared to deal with NIL and paying kids just to play for him? He’s 54, we have to understand, it’s going out of these old guys comfort zones to do this.

Reactions: iubirdman
with Sorsby gone, it’s also worth noting that Creighton himself was an All Conference QB at Kenyon, setting the conference record for touchdown passes in a season. That record was later broken by a QB he coached at Wabash.

His record shows that he is able to recruit and coach good quarterbacks. It’s kind of a calling card of his.
We don’t know that Sorsby is gone.

He literally entered the portal. 🙄
To be fair, kids go into the portal and come back. But if any of what we are hearing is true, that might not be easy. The kid knows the starting job here is his, and he left the next day.

To be fair, kids go into the portal and come back. But if any of what we are hearing is true, that might not be easy. The kid knows the starting job here is his, and he left the next day.
And with a coaching change it’s not a surprise. The first job a new coach has to do is recruit their players back. When Crean left, half of our players said they were transferring and I think all came back. Players are going to explore their options and their NIL opportunities.

Well, it's late middle age at best.
He's got 14 solid coaching years left and even more if he's motivated enough...

54 is the new 44 these days... Guys are healthier and extending their retirement age if they so desire...

With him you gain an extra 14 years of experience and coaching connections over say a 40 year old... Works for me...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT