ADVERTISEMENT

Would This Be An Option?

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
A lot of us on here have mixed feelings about CTA because of his overall passion for IU football, & he truly wanted to be the guy to turn it around. I have witnessed 9 IU football HC's in my lifetime. Along with Hep, Coach Mallory & maybe Corsso, CTA is right there in being passionate about IU football.

The last few years we have witnessed both exceptional coordinators & really bad ones. While the HC is important, the OC/DC/STC are even more important.

I like what Carey has started on offense & hate to potentially lose him as an OC. We ran for almost 250 yards last week with the same talent Bell had the first several weeks. His run game rarely cracked 100 yards a game.

Let's face it; the only time that the defense has really shined is when CTA did it full time or when Warrmak was handling the DC duties. We know that CTA is a good DC.

Would it be possible to bring in an experienced HC & slide CTA to full time DC (let him decompress a little). Continue to pay him his contract for being a good sport. Maybe renegotiate the back end.,

For Example:
HC - Pat Fitzgerald - or (Experienced HC who can work within the existing framework)
DC/ASSOC HC - CTA
OC - Rod Carey
Thus, we are not totally starting over entering the B10 expansion/restructuring period. Give the group through CTA's contract to turn it around.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
A lot of us on here have mixed feelings about CTA because of his overall passion for IU football, & he truly wanted to be the guy to turn it around. I have witnessed 9 IU football HC's in my lifetime. Along with Hep, Coach Mallory & maybe Corsso, CTA is right there in being passionate about IU football.

The last few years we have witnessed both exceptional coordinators & really bad ones. While the HC is important, the OC/DC/STC are even more important.

I like what Carey has started on offense & hate to potentially lose him as an OC. We ran for almost 250 yards last week with the same talent Bell had the first several weeks. His run game rarely cracked 100 yards a game.

Let's face it; the only time that the defense has really shined is when CTA did it full time or when Warrmak was handling the DC duties. We know that CTA is a good DC.

Would it be possible to bring in an experienced HC & slide CTA to full time DC (let him decompress a little). Continue to pay him his contract for being a good sport. Maybe renegotiate the back end.,

For Example:
HC - Pat Fitzgerald - or (Experienced HC who can work within the existing framework)
DC/ASSOC HC - CTA
OC - Rod Carey
Thus, we are not totally starting over entering the B10 expansion/restructuring period. Give the group through CTA's contract to turn it around.
Not interested in Fitz... That was some weird s..t he presided over up there and if he didn't know (which is Extremely hard to believe) he should have...; at any rate, our opponents would use his firing details against us continually on the recruiting trail... I don't want us to have anything to do with the guy, not even as an analyst....

As far as TA as the next D.C., it might be worth a try but I've pretty much lost faith in his abilities as a Defensive coach just based on the poor tackling we've seen over the past two seasons... That's as basic as it comes and he's allowed it to happen on his watch... I don't think we can afford another season as a statistical bottom feeder Defense...

I’ve never heard of this scenario at any college football program. Demoting a HC and bringing in an entirely new HC and keeping all the previous staff?
New head coaches would never agree to such a setup. This would be just plain weird.
But, if any university could come up with such a hare-brained scheme, it would be IU.
Hell, they may even hire a new head coach and then bring back Thad Matta and Dane Fife to babysit? That was more whacky shenanigans from Dolson and crew.

I’ve never heard of this scenario at any college football program. Demoting a HC and bringing in an entirely new HC and keeping all the previous staff?
New head coaches would never agree to such a setup. This would be just plain weird.
But, if any university could come up with such a hare-brained scheme, it would be IU.
Hell, they may even hire a new head coach and then bring back Thad Matta and Dane Fife to babysit? That was more whacky shenanigans from Dolson and crew.
Luke Fickell was replaced as HC and kept on as DC along with Mike Vrable when OSU hired Urban. Different circumstance but it has happened and no it won’t happen here.

Luke Fickell was replaced as HC and kept on as DC along with Mike Vrable when OSU hired Urban. Different circumstance but it has happened and no it won’t happen here.
LF was the interim coach at TOSU, with the proviso that a full search would occur at season’s end (which resulted in Meyer being hired). UM then hired him as his DC. LF tried to do the same thing at Wisconsin with Jim Leonhard.

IIRC, that was after the interim stint for half a season when Fickell replaced the ousted Jim Tressel. He knew going in that he would not be considered a candidate for a permanent HC position when he coached the team for the season.

IIRC, that was after the interim stint for half a season when Fickell replaced the ousted Jim Tressel. He knew going in that he would not be considered a candidate for a permanent HC position when he coached the team for the season.
It was a full season. Tressel resigned in May. My point was there has been a case in recent years where it happened and it was because he (Fickell) knew he wasn’t the long term hire. I believe Urban was hired the week of the Michigan game that season. Hell it’s very rare to hold over any position coaches after a coaching change. In his scenario, CTA would be the highest paid DC in all of football (pro and college). Haha

Not interested in Fitz... That was some weird s..t he presided over up there and if he didn't know (which is Extremely hard to believe) he should have...; at any rate, our opponents would use his firing details against us continually on the recruiting trail... I don't want us to have anything to do with the guy, not even as an analyst....

As far as TA as the next D.C., it might be worth a try but I've pretty much lost faith in his abilities as a Defensive coach just based on the poor tackling we've seen over the past two seasons... That's as basic as it comes and he's allowed it to happen on his watch... I don't think we can afford another season as a statistical bottom feeder Defense...
I should never have listed Fitz, but I liked the guy for a lot of years. He is still fighting it, so I will wait for all the facts to come out. We need a HC who knows how to clean-up all the little things that make us lose every week.

When CTA is all-in as a DC, his defenses are usually pretty good. But not as a HC/DC; you can't be a HC & DC effectively. This is part of CTA's issue as a HC, he wants to do everything.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Yes to Fitz!! Yes to Carey as OC!! And hell no to CTA as DC!!! Enough of the 4-2-5 too. CTA can take Wellman with him too.

Maybe one of Rhea and Ballou’s Alabama underlings would be interested in a promotion??

Last edited:
Yes to Fitz!! Yes to Carey as OC!! And hell no to CTA as DC!!! Enough of the 4-2-5 too. CTA can take Wellman with him too.
I don’t have a problem with the 4-2-5 but we’ve done a lousy job of recruiting to it. It’s why Allen’s defenses have largely been ineffective, and why the future is equally dim unless we make a change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT