ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Scott Dolson if He Hires Rod Carey

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
We need to go full-blown Tennessee and destroy an chance that Rod Carey is the new HC. Dolson should be banned from the state for even considering it.

Forcing donors to pay $15MM+ and then seriously considering Rod Carey is basically a firable offense.

Extremely underwhelming list. Does anyone believe that any of these guys would move the needle whatsoever?
No and it is insane if people are seeing these coaches as solid hires for Indiana. We should be shooting to look like Minnesota: bowl games 75% of the time, 8+ wins half the time, and once in a blue moon a double digit win season. What did Minnesota do? They went out and got a young coach who had gone from 1-11 his first season to back to back 8-5 seasons and capping his WMU tenure with a 13-1 season where the only loss was in a NY6 bowl.

Indiana fans are supposed to be happy we're looking at MAC coaches who haven't been poached in the decade they've been there? Who have one 10 win season and one MAC championship between them in 20 years? If we include Candle that's two more 10+ win seasons and one (maybe two this year) MAC championships in 9 extra years... but that should be expected at Toledo with the support they give football.

Or an on-staff coach who wasn't able to take the Indiana offense over the hump to win a single tight game against Illinois, Michigan State, and Purdue in back to back to back weeks?

Or an old B1G coach who was fired because his offense stunk and he wasn't recruiting?

I do not want Frye and don't think he's ready but at least he's an unknown who could spark something? I'm grasping at straws here.

Seriously, this is like me living through the Red Sox GM hire again because there must be a lot of coaches turning down opportunities for interviews if this is where we're looking. At least the Sox settled on someone who I think is ready to make the right moves, I don't have the same faith in Dolson and co.

I get the sentiment but Carey is getting a really bad rap. He had a terrific run at NIU, did great as our line coach, dramatically improved the offense in just five games, and dramatically improved the quarterback play. Everything he's touched has improved, but he's getting lumped with Tom Allen's regime unfairly (and understandably). Yeah things did not go well at Temple but it was one mark on what has otherwise been a stellar career. Up until the Temple episode his resume was as good as Jason Candle and much better than Creigton and Martin, and he's a heck of a lot more invested in IU football than either.

I think Indiana will hire either Frye, Carey, Chuck Martin, or maybe Creighton if he really wants this job (and he might). I’m having a hard time imagining anyone else would really want this job with no NIL effort.
Dude you are trolling extremely hard right now. I’m impressed, I think.

Extremely underwhelming list. Does anyone believe that any of these guys would move the needle whatsoever?
Creighton and Martin aren't on any lists. Believe IU has reached out to Mike Hart (RB coach Michigan), Jason Candle (Toledo), Ryan Silverfield (Memphis HC), Paul Chryst (former Wiscon head coach/current Texas analyst), Justin Frye (CO-OC Ohio State and former alum), Sean Lewis (current Colorado OC/former Kent St HC) along with Rod Carey.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Creighton and Martin aren't on any lists. Believe IU has reached out to Mike Hart (RB coach Michigan), Jason Candle (Toledo), Ryan Silverfield (Memphis HC), Paul Chryst (former Wiscon head coach/current Texas analyst), Justin Frye (CO-OC Ohio State and former alum), Sean Lewis (current Colorado OC/former Kent St HC) along with Rod Carey.
Sean Lewis is the only name on this list that even partially excites me. He's a better offensive mind than Kevin Wilson but with prior head coaching experience. Commit the resources to an all out star studded defensive staff and you may have something, but in all honesty it's probably a coin flip.

Reactions: nichlee
Man, that list is not particularly great either. Still holding out a shred of hope for Tom Herman.

Reactions: bang63 and kmathum
These are the names that I've heard that have either interviewed or been granted an interview.
Oh, not questioning that at all and I’ve seen a similar list. Just honestly would be a little disappointed if that’s the end of it.

Sean Lewis is the only name on this list that even partially excites me. He's a better offensive mind than Kevin Wilson but with prior head coaching experience. Commit the resources to an all out star studded defensive staff and you may have something, but in all honesty it's probably a coin flip.
Lewis may be able to bring that Elite 11 QB from Cathedral that just decommitted from Colorado.

Why is Dave Clawson's name not showing up? Maybe he's the guy and that's the reason we aren't hearing about it.
I think ACC teams have figured out how to defend the slow mesh, which makes him a less compelling option, IMO.

I find it difficult to believe that Dolson has contacted 7 coaches since firing Allen on Sunday. If he has shame on him. If he was doing his job as AD he should have already completed his homework on potential coaches these past few weeks and narrowed his list to no more than 2-3 possibilities. Like everyone else posting comments I have no idea who IU will select as the next head coach, but I will make a guess that he did do his homework and we will have a new coach in the next few days. I also believe it will definitely be someone who is presently a head coach and has his staff in place.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
I find it difficult to believe that Dolson has contacted 7 coaches since firing Allen on Sunday. If he has shame on him. If he was doing his job as AD he should have already completed his homework on potential coaches these past few weeks and narrowed his list to no more than 2-3 possibilities. Like everyone else posting comments I have no idea who IU will select as the next head coach, but I will make a guess that he did do his homework and we will have a new coach in the next few days. I also believe it will definitely be someone who is presently a head coach and has his staff in place.

The money to buy out Tom Allen, and to pay a hefty amount for a new coach, didn’t just show up overnight.
Dolson has been doing what he SHOULD BE/NEEDED TO BE DOING.
He absolutely didn’t decide to fire Allen just last week, and he didn’t just start looking for a coach AFTER firing Allen.

I will give him AT LEAST enough credit that I believe that he had his guy BEFORE he fired Allen. You don’t fire a guy you recently extended before KNOWING you have a replacement lined up that you believe is an upgrade.

You don’t fire a guy you recently extended before KNOWING you have a replacement lined up that you believe is an upgrade.
Unless you had no choice but to fire the guy, and the directive came late, and previous to that you were planning to save 15 million if we won a couple games.

Do I believe he had decided to fire Allen before Illinois game? No. Before Michigan State, probably. Before Purdue? Yes.
But he may have had pressure and so he was late on the draw.

Last edited:
Unless you had no choice but to fire the guy, and the directive came late, and previous to that you were planning to save 15 million if we won a couple games.
In which case you realize you aren't really the AD and need to resign.

In which case you realize you aren't really the AD and need to resign.

Or, you were making your own call and the couple wins you were hoping for didn't materialize. And by then your higher up(s) and boosters applied pressure anyway.

A guy on BTB who is pretty in the know says he was told the names being floated around are smokescreens.

The group paying 15 mil to remove Allen certainly has influence. Surely they won’t settle for names on this thread. Better pry a guy away who’s been successful if you have any desire to make an impact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT