ADVERTISEMENT

Rod Carey and other ramblings

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
While not Kalen Deboer, he is light years ahead of Walter Bell!! Carey should've been in the OC position this whole season. The offense has made significant progress under his command. Sorsby has proven himself a capable BT level QB.

I think IU probably beats Louisville if Carey were the OC. Carey would've been able to design a play from the one foot line that hit paydirt, IMO.

On another note, Indiana seldom if ever plays complimentary football. The offense scores 45 points and the defense soils their pants. Or in the UL case, it was reversed. This inconsistent play that has defined these last few years, falls on Allen. Much of it is his inability to hire good OC and DC.

It also occurred to me that they better drum up some NIL 💰. They've got some nice pieces to build around moving forward. Kids like McCulley, Sorsby, Howland and others are good players. I'd like to see them get a legit TE in the portal.

I'm up in the air on firing Allen. I'll have a better feel for that in two weeks. They never quit today and it was amazing that they tied it up. I'd say fire him if Dolson had a high end coach lined up but I know that's not true. I think this team needed Rod Carey at OC from day one.....

That Bell got hired over Carey to begin with is mind boggling. That might have saved Allen's career. Unfortunately Allen earns every loss he gets. He's a good guy but he's just not that smart a guy.
I thought I had read that Carey wanted to come back home as an analyst in ‘22 rather than as a full time coach. I think that’s probably bolstered by him going back to the analyst role after being interim OL coach last year.

I think a great deal of how this season has ended up falls onto the (in)decision on QB. I thought Sorsby showed more from the Spring game on. If we’re seeing anything now, it’s that the kid can play and I wish he had 10 games of starting experience right now instead of 4 or whatever it is.

I thought I had read that Carey wanted to come back home as an analyst in ‘22 rather than as a full time coach. I think that’s probably bolstered by him going back to the analyst role after being interim OL coach last year.

I think a great deal of how this season has ended up falls onto the (in)decision on QB. I thought Sorsby showed more from the Spring game on. If we’re seeing anything now, it’s that the kid can play and I wish he had 10 games of starting experience right now instead of 4 or whatever it is.
NIL must be found, Sorsby is Ramsey but better. Tough hombre...

NIL must be found, Sorsby is Ramsey but better. Tough hombre...
I was just saying at the game after one of his runs where he tricked like 2 defenders that he’s a bad dude, but he’s gonna end up getting himself killed out there. Remember, he’s doing all of this with a bum shoulder from when he ran over a dude at Penn St.

He came back as an analyst because he was still getting paid handsomely by Temple.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
While not Kalen Deboer, he is light years ahead of Walter Bell!! Carey should've been in the OC position this whole season. The offense has made significant progress under his command. Sorsby has proven himself a capable BT level QB.

I think IU probably beats Louisville if Carey were the OC. Carey would've been able to design a play from the one foot line that hit paydirt, IMO.

On another note, Indiana seldom if ever plays complimentary football. The offense scores 45 points and the defense soils their pants. Or in the UL case, it was reversed. This inconsistent play that has defined these last few years, falls on Allen. Much of it is his inability to hire good OC and DC.

It also occurred to me that they better drum up some NIL 💰. They've got some nice pieces to build around moving forward. Kids like McCulley, Sorsby, Howland and others are good players. I'd like to see them get a legit TE in the portal.

I'm up in the air on firing Allen. I'll have a better feel for that in two weeks. They never quit today and it was amazing that they tied it up. I'd say fire him if Dolson had a high end coach lined up but I know that's not true. I think this team needed Rod Carey at OC from day one.....

Agreed about Carey and the offensive nucleus. Carey's done an impressive job with this group, with a big assist from Bostad. We need both of those guys back next year to build on what we've seen the last three weeks.

P.S. Sorsby has a very high ceiling, and McCulley is starting to look like a Sunday player.

Agreed about Carey and the offensive nucleus. Carey's done an impressive job with this group, with a big assist from Bostad. We need both of those guys back next year to build on what we've seen the last three weeks.

P.S. Sorsby has a very high ceiling, and McCulley is starting to look like a Sunday player.
Which goes to show you--coaching matters. How many people were clamoring for Hiller to be fired at least a year before he was, and when he was, it was mid-season? And how many people were bemoaning the Bell hire from the day it was made? And when he was fired, it was during the season. Allen's downfall was his inability to make personnel decisions, which is to say he’s not fit to be a head coach at this level.

Last edited:
Did we have to pay temple a buyout when he took the interim role last year? Honest question.

No. He wasn’t hired away from Temple. He was fired. Any pay we give him just offsets against the $6 million he was owed by Temple. We’re paying his salary here and Temple is paying the balance.

Carey shouldn’t be considered a serious contender for a head coaching position here. His tenure at Temple was a disaster and his team quit on him. He lost something like 7 straight games by 20+ points as of there was a player revolt.

What ever issues that Carey had at Temple he had a really good run at NIU and in the one year he was an offensive coordinator he had an amazing year. The contrast between him and Bell during the same season with the same personnel gives people an idea of both how bad and how good Indiana football could be. The delta on a good coach is huge. Now to fix the defense. Every coordinator hire Allen made after his first has made the defense worse. I think this is the most talented defense Allen has had and he's managed to turn it into a train wreck.

What ever issues that Carey had at Temple he had a really good run at NIU and in the one year he was an offensive coordinator he had an amazing year. The contrast between him and Bell during the same season with the same personnel gives people an idea of both how bad and how good Indiana football could be. The delta on a good coach is huge. Now to fix the defense. Every coordinator hire Allen made after his first has made the defense worse. I think this is the most talented defense Allen has had and he's managed to turn it into a train wreck.
I agree; for those of us who've followed iu football for many years, this is one of the more talented defenses they've had. It simply hasn't shown up in the w/l column.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Many of us said Coach "G"s resume was weak, but, like Bell, talks a good game.

Maybe one of our many 'Analysts' has a good Defensive background?

1) in addition to Carey I suspect Fuente had a fairly substantial role in improving this offense

2) just as Allen’s good work turning around Wilson’s defense 7 years ago did not IMO justify Glass naming him HC without doing a search, Carey’s good work this season salvaging Allen’s offense would not justify Dolson naming him HC without doing a search

3) whether Allen survives or not, I expect major off-season staff changes on offense and defense-but not ST, unless Dolson pulls the plug on this altogether

1) in addition to Carey I suspect Fuente had a fairly substantial role in improving this offense

2) just as Allen’s good work turning around Wilson’s defense 7 years ago did not IMO justify Glass naming him HC without doing a search, Carey’s good work this season salvaging Allen’s offense would not justify Dolson naming him HC without doing a search

3) whether Allen survives or not, I expect major off-season staff changes on offense and defense-but not ST, unless Dolson pulls the plug on this altogether
Why offense? Do you think many coaches get poached?

Why offense? Do you think many coaches get poached?
I’d be surprised if Bostad is still around next season, regardless of who the HC is-especially with OL gigs like A&M, maybe Arkansas and Pitt, possibly others, opening up. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Tucker and/or Johnson leave if they get the opportunity.

I’d be more inclined to expect Carey and maybe Wright to stay if they have the option to do so-which I assume they would under Allen (and might also under a new HC).

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if Bostad is still around next season, regardless of who the HC is-especially with OL gigs like A&M, maybe Arkansas and Pitt, possibly others, opening up, I also wouldn’t be shocked to see Tucker and/or Johnson leave if they get the opportunity.

I’d be more inclined to expect Carey and maybe Wright to stay if they have the option to do so-which I assume they would under Allen (and might also under a new HC).
Carey's contract is for 2 years, so he'll be back. Wright's an Indiana boy, so I doubt he's going anywhere. I'd like to see him moved to another position - maybe STs.

I said in another post, I think Cary and Bostad's value will go up even more after next year, with the experience we have coming back and the schedule. Assuming Sorsby and McCulley are still around. On the other hand, the OL loses a lot of experience, so Bostad may take the money and run now.

I can't imagine a new coach who would have a problem with keeping Cary or Bostad, unless we'd bring in another coach who brings his whole staff with him.

And if you're these guys, do you want to go into some kind of high pressure situation when you can be a star at IU for at least one more year? These guys aren't spring chickens and a bump in pay here would mean a lot, I'm sure.

Fuente is a hell of a coordinator too. That's deep offensive bench. I am guessing you could put Fuente in charge of the defense and he'd be better than Guerrieri.

Carey's contract is for 2 years, so he'll be back. Wright's an Indiana boy, so I doubt he's going anywhere. I'd like to see him moved to another position - maybe STs.

I said in another post, I think Cary and Bostad's value will go up even more after next year, with the experience we have coming back and the schedule. Assuming Sorsby and McCulley are still around. On the other hand, the OL loses a lot of experience, so Bostad may take the money and run now.

I can't imagine a new coach who would have a problem with keeping Cary or Bostad, unless we'd bring in another coach who brings his whole staff with him.

And if you're these guys, do you want to go into some kind of high pressure situation when you can be a star at IU for at least one more year? These guys aren't spring chickens and a bump in pay here would mean a lot, I'm sure.
I think they will have a hard time keeping Bostad. He's an elite offensive line coach and somebody is going to come after him. He's on a one year deal.

I think they will have a hard time keeping Bostad. He's an elite offensive line coach and somebody is going to come after him. He's on a one year deal.
At least we have Carey as OC, who knows how to coach the OL. I would trust his judgement on a Bostad replacement.

So we want a guy to be our head coach that didn’t want to work too hard?
He wanted to figure out what was next. Going somewhere to be an assistant wasn’t that attractive to him.

He’s got 2 kids. You don’t just bounce your family around the country when another place is paying you 2.5 million.

He wanted to figure out what was next. Going somewhere to be an assistant wasn’t that attractive to him.

He’s got 2 kids. You don’t just bounce your family around the country when another place is paying you 2.5 million.
But he could’ve stayed here and continued what he was doing to end last season. That would not have required uprooting anyone.

He’s 57 and doesn’t seem like the guy who is going to jump ship year after year. Carey hired him at NIU after his stint in the NFL before going back home to Wisconsin. But he has earned himself a well deserved raise and extension after this season.

He’s 57 and doesn’t seem like the guy who is going to jump ship year after year. Carey hired him at NIU after his stint in the NFL before going back home to Wisconsin. But he has earned himself a well deserved raise and extension after this season.
Bostad is all he was advertised to be. A tip of the cap to Coach Bostad for the improvement of the offensive line and running game. Hope they give him a raise and make it a priority to keep him.

Nor did anyone else after the first few games. I wanted Sorsby only because he was a tougher runner. Neither player covered themselves in glory with their early season opportunities.
If Sorsby’s grit and competitiveness wasn’t recognized after being here more than a year I can’t imagine why. Sorsbys running and touch on short passes looked better to me from the jump.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT