ADVERTISEMENT

My Season Review

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Purdue game won't affect my views.

1. I like Sorsby. I think Jackson had a better long ball - not Penix good, but goo - but Sorsby's extra size made him better at a collapsing pocket. He has adequate arm. Good enough running speed. He got better.

2. I like Howland. Runs hard. 6-3 240 football neck.

3. All right, I admit that McCulley became a better WR than I expected. Still some raw. Still noy consistent. But more-than-passes the look test.

4. OL passes the look test better than last year.

5. Like the play calls under Carey. Like the production under Carey. LOVED hearing Carey talk about "earn it" in practice, but game reps are where you see what you really have. Still need more TD's.

6. Run defense of just under 150 per game in conference games is OK, not great - especially in the East.

7. Pass defense is bad. 264 against conference teams Big plays. Did not play together. Multiple - MULTIPLE - blown coverages by back end. Poor pass coverage by LB's. POOR tackling in space. And I bet if you compare tape, it looks like Duke defense in 2021. Scheme? Teaching? Whatever - BIG change needed.

8. Shocked but pleased that 30,000+ came to the MSU game. Still feel embarrassed and a little depressed sitting in a non-full stadium, but 30,000 is better than 19,000.

Enough young performers that Allen can sell "give me one more year" (if Dolson needs selling).

$$$, then wins fixes everything.

POTFB.

Very disappointed in the DL and its pass rush or lack thereof. That had some contribution to the horrific DB play but this unit struggled all year long. None of the guys performed at a P5 level.

Reactions: jb17
This year confirms what I knew before last season that CTA isn't good enough for this league. The opportunity to win the worst team in the B1G outright is on the line. We battled for that title last year too.

A second year of hiding the starting QB and not proudly saying"this is our guy" killed enthusiasm as we correctly affirmed that we didn't have any elite options. Would CTA proclaim Sorsby as the starter next year and hype up a Spring game to build fan excitement and boost recruiting? This isn't a program that will sell out every game regardless of prior performance. We need that false feeling that things are going to be different this year. I've not had that the last 2 years and show up on Saturday with low expectations.

I predicted 3 wins this year based on the failure to endorse a QB from CTA. He was lowering our expectations again and I felt nothing was different from last year. I can't stand to watch another team led by Allen

I haven't decided about season tickets next year if CTA is back. If I do, it would only be to share memories with my son. God love him, he is going to the Bucket game.

Reactions: midwolfe and td75
Purdue game won't affect my views.

1. I like Sorsby. I think Jackson had a better long ball - not Penix good, but goo - but Sorsby's extra size made him better at a collapsing pocket. He has adequate arm. Good enough running speed. He got better.

2. I like Howland. Runs hard. 6-3 240 football neck.

3. All right, I admit that McCulley became a better WR than I expected. Still some raw. Still noy consistent. But more-than-passes the look test.

4. OL passes the look test better than last year.

5. Like the play calls under Carey. Like the production under Carey. LOVED hearing Carey talk about "earn it" in practice, but game reps are where you see what you really have. Still need more TD's.

6. Run defense of just under 150 per game in conference games is OK, not great - especially in the East.

7. Pass defense is bad. 264 against conference teams Big plays. Did not play together. Multiple - MULTIPLE - blown coverages by back end. Poor pass coverage by LB's. POOR tackling in space. And I bet if you compare tape, it looks like Duke defense in 2021. Scheme? Teaching? Whatever - BIG change needed.

8. Shocked but pleased that 30,000+ came to the MSU game. Still feel embarrassed and a little depressed sitting in a non-full stadium, but 30,000 is better than 19,000.

Enough young performers that Allen can sell "give me one more year" (if Dolson needs selling).

$$$, then wins fixes everything.

POTFB.
The weird thing about the secondary is that it had some really good moments. Dunham, Toomer, Minor, Moore, and even some of the younger guys like Johnson and Shaw, had good plays and even good games. But, outside of Louis Moore, who had a good year all around, none of them put anything together that was nearly consistent or reliable enough.

Like, they were solid against some of the best receivers in the country vs. Ohio State, and very good and aggressive against Wisconsin, plus they locked down what has turned out to be a very good Louisville team through the air in the 2nd half after an abysmal 1st. But then, on the other hand, they were terrible against a backup quarterback against Illinois and against a QB who had statistically been the worst in the conference by far prior to the game against MSU. There were moments that showed that they had the potential to be a decent to good unit, but they never gelled in the way they needed to for consistency.

Miscommunication was also a very obvious issue all over the defense, as there have been far too many times that our defense hasn't been ready at the snap because they were still talking back and forth, and confusion was rampant. Sometimes even our defensive line didn't get into a stance before the ball was snapped, and I struggle to understand what could be so confusing as to make them THAT out of sync.

I don't know if Guerrieri's schemes are complicated and it was asking too much too fast to try and implement it wholesale on a unit full of transfers or if it was some other issue, but clearly something was wrong. Beyond the difficulties that they more or less constantly had just getting properly aligned, there were countless times that our corners just flat out tried to play the wrong coverage, in ways that were patently obvious based on what the rest of the defense was doing.

On a more positive note, the offense has generally had continual improvement since the OC change, except for a rough 1st quarter for Sorsby last week. There are a lot of positives to be hopeful about on that side of the ball, from O-Line improvement, to WR play, to Howland's emergence, to Sorsby's play.

Very disappointed in the DL and its pass rush or lack thereof. That had some contribution to the horrific DB play but this unit struggled all year long. None of the guys performed at a P5 level.
Disappointed in the Defense overall. Recent years they have been competitive but this year cost us a couple winnable games and cohost us a very winnable game today

Reactions: midwolfe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT