ADVERTISEMENT

Just an Observation

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Many are saying "Carey is going to save CTA's job," or "the offense looked great/good/better under Carey", BUT....remember that 7 of our points yesterday were a totally unearned GIFT from Penn St on a blown coverage that left McCulley unguarded.

And, we couldn't even start our 2-minute drill at the end of the game because Sorsby was murdered on the first snap...

And, Sorsby was running for his freaking life all game and was beaten all to hell....

And, if Walt Bell had run three dive plays at the end of the game to set up a field goal - regardless of what the THIRD DOWN call was - we all would have gone radioactive...

I get that there's a double standard for Carey since he played here and I suppose somebody who knows more about football than me might be able to show some stats or offer some thoughts that might justify a statement such as, "our offense is a less putrid form of garbage than before", but I don't think we should try to convince ourselves that it wasn't still garbage. It was.

IU played a better game this week than last week. Many seem to forget IU was going up against one of the top defenses in the country yet our OL drove them off the ball and the offense had several good drives. Sorsby had no more pressure than any other QB going against PSU's defense. Coach Carey helped Sorsby out by rolling him outside of the pocket several times.

The bigger problems were unforced errors by IU IE offsides, illegal procedure, muffed punt returns, ECT.

IU played a better game this week than last week. Many seem to forget IU was going up against one of the top defenses in the country yet our OL drove them off the ball and the offense had several good drives. Sorsby had no more pressure than any other QB going against PSU's defense. Coach Carey helped Sorsby out by rolling him outside of the pocket several times.

The bigger problems were unforced errors by IU IE offsides, illegal procedure, muffed punt returns, ECT.
I totally agree with you that undisciplined football is, was, has been and forever will be the hallmark of IUF under CTA. It's a big problem.

And, I also agree with your statement that the offense was better than it was last week against Rutgers.

My point is slightly different in that I want to know where we snap the chalk-line. I mean, what is the standard? To be less terrible than absolutely awful? I just don't understand the optimism around Carey unless our hope is to be a better version of truly pathetic....and that's obviously not my hope. (But I understand your points.)

I totally agree with you that undisciplined football is, was, has been and forever will be the hallmark of IUF under CTA. It's a big problem.

And, I also agree with your statement that the offense was better than it was last week against Rutgers.

My point is slightly different in that I want to know where we snap the chalk-line. I mean, what is the standard? To be less terrible than absolutely awful? I just don't understand the optimism around Carey unless our hope is to be a better version of truly pathetic....and that's obviously not my hope. (But I understand your points.)
undisciplined football.....so true

I hate it

Many are saying "Carey is going to save CTA's job," or "the offense looked great/good/better under Carey", BUT....remember that 7 of our points yesterday were a totally unearned GIFT from Penn St on a blown coverage that left McCulley unguarded.

And, we couldn't even start our 2-minute drill at the end of the game because Sorsby was murdered on the first snap...

And, Sorsby was running for his freaking life all game and was beaten all to hell....

And, if Walt Bell had run three dive plays at the end of the game to set up a field goal - regardless of what the THIRD DOWN call was - we all would have gone radioactive...

I get that there's a double standard for Carey since he played here and I suppose somebody who knows more about football than me might be able to show some stats or offer some thoughts that might justify a statement such as, "our offense is a less putrid form of garbage than before", but I don't think we should try to convince ourselves that it wasn't still garbage. It was.
I do t think there is a double standard with Carey and perhaps that blown coverage was a result of some misdirection. We did a lot of that yesterday and it was refreshing to see. Confusing the defense is the biggest part of the job and something that has been lacking since Deboer.

I do t think there is a double standard with Carey and perhaps that blown coverage was a result of some misdirection. We did a lot of that yesterday and it was refreshing to see. Confusing the defense is the biggest part of the job and something that has been lacking since Deboer.
The blown coverage on the DM score was because they blitzed the corner and the safety failed to rotate in coverage, which he has to do. BS immediately read it and threw at the vacant spot, which is what you’re taught to do. The safety not only did get over there but compounded it by taking a poor angle and failing to get DM to the boundary. The mystery is why PSU would be so aggressive and call a corner blitz a corner on first down, especially after they got beat on the press just a few minutes earlier, where the safety also didn’t get over to provide support. Head shaking and risky, especially at that juncture.of the game.

So the glass is half empty?

As pointed out by others, IU scored 24 on one of the best defenses in the country, regardless of any gifts. They had only given up ONE play over 40 yards and IU had two in the first half. The stunned looks on PSU fans was amazing. I don't think that is a coincidence that IU offense has had more success since Bell was fired and Carey stepped in.

Yes, it was not a perfect called game by Carey but you also have to consider that this offense is NOT Carey's. He has to go with Bell's playbook at this point in the season. What that shows me is that it wasn't the offense plays at fault, it was the offense play calling at fault!

The blown coverage on the DM score was because they blitzed the corner and the safety failed to rotate in coverage, which he has to do. BS immediately read it and threw at the vacant spot, which is what you’re taught to do. The safety not only did get over there but compounded it by taking a poor angle and failing to get DM to the boundary. The mystery is why PSU would be so aggressive and call a corner blitz a corner on first down, especially after they got beat on the press just a few minutes earlier, where the safety also didn’t get over to provide support. Head shaking and risky, especially at that juncture.of the game.

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say a lack of respect would answer why they would do that.
Not to say that attitude was unwarranted but.....

Reactions: jsenleo
Even the Big Boys have undisciplined moments. But not as chronic as Bloomington(for damn near ever). Always playing against the game and at the same time an opponent.

Reactions: jsenleo
Even the Big Boys have undisciplined moments. But not as chronic as Bloomington(for damn near ever). Always playing against the game and at the same time an opponent.
Their safeties failed on the first TD too in that they failed to provide help when their guy got beat in press cover and then whiffed on the tackle. Two critical breakdowns for them.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Rod Carey becoming the OC isn't going to make our OL better. We need to recruit players that want to win their battles up front to change that.

What I see under Carey is a better understanding and use of formations to disguise the play called. Bell wasn't creative. He was predictable and didn't fool anyone. There has also been a shift in areas of the field we are attacking. I'm not sure if that is something Carey is teaching Sorsby or if there has been a change that has created space and Sorsby is getting better at knowing where the opportunities will be for the routes being run against the defense he reads. Either way, Carey has improved our ability to complete big plays.

What you call bad defensive plays or blown coverages are likely because we confused the defense. That is a big part of football we weren't doing well.

Our coaches felt leaving a wounded Sorsby in the game was better than putting a cold Jackson in the game that hadn't thrown a pass all day; Imagine Jackson coming in and throwing a pick 6. That would be a real possibility in that situation. We didn't have much time to get Jackson ready due to getting the ball back quickly on the turnover. I am okay with the decision to get the tie. If we had been able to stop PSU, we would have gotten the ball back with a chance to take the lead. It would have given us more time to get Jackson ready or to get Sorsby ready.

Their safeties failed on the first TD too in that they failed to provide help when their guy got beat in press cover and then whiffed on the tackle. Two critical breakdowns for them.
And unusual considering how many PSU safeties get NFL invitations.

Yes, we were facing one of the best defenses, but at the same time lucky to be playing them right after a tough loss against Ohio State. It didn’t look like PSU was psyched for the game with any combat urgency in the mental state. IU does that to really good teams.

If Bell was OC Sorsby would have not seen the open man, gotten creamed by the corner and fumbled for a touchdown. You have to give credit where credit is due.

I don't think there is any question that the offense is improving. The line has steadily been improving over the course of these season. Bostad was a great hire, and now the running game is getting some big holes and the quarterback and receiver play is improving. We have had a ridiculous string of playing elite defenses. Ohio State is #1, Penn State now #2, Michigan is top ten and Rutgers is top ten. Wisconsin is also really good, but I think you'll continue to see the offense progress. I am actually not worried about the offense. I think it's going to come together. Teegardin is a train wreck. And I am not sold on Guerreri. Our ability to give up big plays at bad times is legendary.

I get that there's a double standard for Carey since he played here and I suppose somebody who knows more about football than me might be able to show some stats or offer some thoughts that might justify a statement such as, "our offense is a less putrid form of garbage than before", but I don't think we should try to convince ourselves that it wasn't still garbage. It was
Carey inherited the offense mid-season and I don’t think people expected miracles but many already see improvement.

Carey mixed up plays yesterday in a way we rarely saw with Bell.

Thanks to Carey we aren’t watching Lucas continuously running between the tackles and/or providing pass protection (which was beyond stupid) in the backfield.

I don’t agree with your posture of discounting 7 points because PSU blew coverage. We called the play and it worked. We scored 24 at PSU.
OSU scored 20 against PSU and no one else has scored more than 15. I’m guessing we would have scored 3 or 7 with Bell.

By halftime we equaled the number of yards PSU was giving up per game.

Many did go “radioactive” in regards to the 3 plays prior to the FG. To me that series was the most disappointing aspect of the day.

Is he a miracle worker? Certainly not but yesterday did show glimpses of improvement.

Under Tom Allen, as if that hadn't been a problem at IU well before he got here, before Wilson even, and just started with him.

For what it’s worth, James Franklin talked about the DMac TD in his post game presser and said it was a call where either the CB or the LB were supposed to blitz based on the formation and the other was supposed to bail. Turns out both went, neither bailed into coverage.

For what it’s worth, James Franklin talked about the DMac TD in his post game presser and said it was a call where either the CB or the LB were supposed to blitz based on the formation and the other was supposed to bail. Turns out both went, neither bailed into coverage.
That’s what I saw too. But our resident football expert Ordfan says otherwise so Franklin must be wrong

That’s what I saw too. But our resident football expert Ordfan says otherwise so Franklin must be wrong
Actually, it was pretty much exactly what I said. I questioned why he would do that on first down, but it was evident to most people what happened on the play. Hope that helps you. And, I’m still not Ordfan . . . are you still in line at CR? lol

It was a safety that got beat. IU ran a smash concept. The outside receiver ran a hitch and the slot ran a fade as opposed to the traditional corner rout. Yes the safety did lose his eye discipline and peaked at the quarterback. They were in a cover 3 look and the Free safety did take a bad angle. I can't recall who the other receiver was but he got just enough of block to get us in the endzone.

After the MD, Ann Arbor, and Rutgers debacles it was encouraging to be in the game.

After Wisconsin (3-2), Ilinois (1-4), MSU (0-5), and Purdue (1-4) are a combined (2-13).

Beating an inconsistent Wisconsin in Bloomington doesn’t seem inconceivable, if IU stops turning the ball over.
Is this like saying, if I wasn't bald I would have hair?

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT