ADVERTISEMENT

Rod Carey Hire

Can we agree that Dolson probably made this Bell decision?

One has to believe that work has begun to find the next head coach whether that's in 2 months or 14 months.
If Dolson, who has never coached a down of football in his life, made this decision, our problems are bigger than we thought. Allen would’ve run it by him and gotten his blessing, but it was quite obviously Allen’s call.

Can we agree that Dolson probably made this Bell decision?

No, we can't. CTA isn't stupid. He hinted about "evaluations" in his post game remarks. He knows it's do or die time for himself and his program, and Bell has been an abject failure in his short time here with no hope of getting things righted.

One has to believe that work has begun to find the next head coach whether that's in 2 months or 14 months.

If Dolson isn't/hasn't been looking ahead and trying to determine who might be available and willing in December 2024, then that's gross negligence on his part. If things aren't looking substantially better by then, he knows he'll have to make a move. He'd best be making a well considered, informed decision. Glass didn't have that opportunity.

Reactions: nichlee and 76-1
So Carey's offenses scored 30 or more points in five of his six seasons as head coach at NIU and 40 a game in his one year as OC. They rushed for over 200 yards a game in four of those seasons. As OC he had the 7th ranked offense in the country. Here is a really good summary of his career. He absolutely dominated the MAC when he was there. His record and stats are a bit deceptive because he scheduled big time teams out of conference. Competing against like talent he was a dominant coach.

Look, we all got a Christmas present here; no matter how you slice it. So, you are telling me that you want to watch WB continue to make the same play calls at critical times like the last 17 games? We see it every week.. Where was the fake reverse from Akron (in OT) vs. Louisville on the goal line?

Come out and throw three straight downs when the game has almost slipped away at Maryland. It's mind boggling sometimes.

I followed RC because he was a Mallory guy, & he did well at NIL. I always thought that he was a strong candidate for IU if he had done well at Temple. But I don't count Temple against him. He had to deal with COVID & never got traction in recruiting. I thought that it was a bad fit anyways. He and the new OL coach will work much better I imagine.

I really think that Walt Bell was paralyzed by his own intellectual understanding of the game, and his attempts to have the perfect response to every situation. It ended up in too many choices and not being able to respond to any. Whatever he was thinking, it did not mesh with our specific talent, and I think his playbook was just way too big - neither he nor his players could master it all and apply it to the realities of the game unfolding before them.
I’m not so sure. How do you explain simple dives with Lucas, repeated options with a non-running QB, and rarely getting anyone open in the passing game with an unlimited playbook? Seems to me he only had about 8-10 plays and he ran the hell out of all of them.

I got criticized for being too negative when we hired Walt Bell. But I knew it would be a disaster. I absolutely think the opposite of Rod Carey. He's a high-end offensive coordinator who is a run first physical football coach which is exactly what Indiana needed. Allen made a great hire in Bob Bostad who has improved the line, but not had an OC that effectively schemes an effective running game. I think the Bostad/Carey combination is going to be a home run, and I think it may actually save Allen's job.
My impression of Carey is he is a competent football coach that will know when to run the ball, pass the ball and when he can run out of a passing formation and vice versa..

I'm expecting he sees the option as being dead and never using the direct snap to McCulley on 4th and 1 again. He can't overhaul the offense in 2 weeks, but I am sure he has seen the same failed play calling and won't run slow developing option plays against quick teams.

I'm just glad the Bell era is over.

I got criticized for being too negative when we hired Walt Bell. But I knew it would be a disaster. I absolutely think the opposite of Rod Carey. He's a high-end offensive coordinator who is a run first physical football coach which is exactly what Indiana needed. Allen made a great hire in Bob Bostad who has improved the line, but not had an OC that effectively schemes an effective running game. I think the Bostad/Carey combination is going to be a home run, and I think it may actually save Allen's job.
I was OK with the hire until his first press conference. The guy just really turned me off then.

If Dolson isn't/hasn't been looking ahead and trying to determine who might be available and willing in December 2024, then that's gross negligence on his part.

So in the fluid world of coaches and coaching, Dolson is supposed to try and identify candidates 15 months in advance??

And just how should he do this? California psychic hotline, tea leaves, phrenology?

No, we can't. CTA isn't stupid. He hinted about "evaluations" in his post game remarks. He knows it's do or die time for himself and his program, and Bell has been an abject failure in his short time here with no hope of getting things righted.

If Dolson isn't/hasn't been looking ahead and trying to determine who might be available and willing in December 2024, then that's gross negligence on his part. If things aren't looking substantially better by then, he knows he'll have to make a move. He'd best be making a well considered, informed decision. Glass didn't have that opportunity.
Actually FG had the opportunity but failed to use it.

So in the fluid world of coaches and coaching, Dolson is supposed to try and identify candidates 15 months in advance??

And just how should he do this? California psychic hotline, tea leaves, phrenology?
I can help him: Look at the Washington State staff and the Eastern Michigan staff for starters... If he wants a bargain with a proven track record of turning around a perennial loser then Creighton and Piatkowski plus some of our remaining staff along with "as needed" additions is the way to go...

If he wants to go top dollar with an (almost) 2 year record of winning (sound familiar) then Washington State is the way to go... The only thing that scares me about them is their relatively short track record...

There's more out there I'm certain I just haven't made any effort to identify them yet...

All I ask is that he doesn't blow big money on some on his way out retread... The Kansas Les Miles "sure thing"fiasco comes to mind... (and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we end up going that route 😖🙈)

A good rule of thumb in the decision making should be: If a guy has managed to get fired from a job with twice the resources than we have to put towards football he's almost certainly Not the guy we want...

I'm looking for the guy who's found a way to win in spite of the lack of resources...

Character should be a key element also... If we lose Allen it doesn't mean we have to dump LEO as a baseline for day to day dealings within the TEAM...

Yeah, that comment was a million miles from reality.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Yeah, who needs to be prepared for the inevitable.
Let's just wait until the day Allen is fired then start the process.
Then walk down the hall and pick another Saban to fill the vacancy.

Reactions: UncleMark
Look, we all got a Christmas present here; no matter how you slice it. So, you are telling me that you want to watch WB continue to make the same play calls at critical times like the last 17 games? We see it every week.. Where was the fake reverse from Akron (in OT) vs. Louisville on the goal line?

Come out and throw three straight downs when the game has almost slipped away at Maryland. It's mind boggling sometimes.

I followed RC because he was a Mallory guy, & he did well at NIL. I always thought that he was a strong candidate for IU if he had done well at Temple. But I don't count Temple against him. He had to deal with COVID & never got traction in recruiting. I thought that it was a bad fit anyways. He and the new OL coach will work much better I imagine.
For me it's more personal. A Hoosier fitting well in Philadelphia? Not just the new coaching gig but the culture shock for the family to manage. Particularly early in the process. Besides his attachment to IUFB Carey is 1 up on anyone brought in from outside as he knows well the offensive players and the staff. His ground speed afoot is faster than any new OC brought in.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
For me it's more personal. A Hoosier fitting well in Philadelphia? Not just the new coaching gig but the culture shock for the family to manage. Particularly early in the process. Besides his attachment to IUFB Carey is 1 up on anyone brought in from outside as he knows well the offensive players and the staff. His ground speed afoot is faster than any new OC brought in.
Exactly.. I meant "not a good regional fit; not a lot of history recruiting the east coast". I used to go to the region often for work; it just isn't my cup of tea. If somebody offered millions, I might work out something. He did go 8-5 in year one at Temple.

We just increased our D1 HC Win Total in the War Room from 2 to 64 - +62 HC wins. That's got to be better. Right?

So, its all about the numbers: WB vs RC

Head coaching record[edit]​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
UMass Minutemen (NCAA Division I FBS independent) (2019–2021)
2019UMass1–11
2020UMass0–4
2021UMass1–8[a]
UMass:2–23
Total:2–23
  1. ^ UMass fired Bell with three games remaining

Head coaching record[edit]​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Northern Illinois Huskies (Mid-American Conference) (2012–2018)
2012Northern Illinois0–1[n 1]L Orange2422
2013Northern Illinois12–28–01st (West)L Poinsettia
2014Northern Illinois11–37–1T–1st (West)L Boca Raton
2015Northern Illinois8–66–2T–1st (West)L Poinsettia
2016Northern Illinois5–75–33rd (West)
2017Northern Illinois8–56–2T–2nd (West)L Quick Lane
2018Northern Illinois8–66–21st (West)L Boca Raton
Northern Illinois:52–3038–10
Temple Owls (American Athletic Conference) (2019–2021)
2019Temple8–55–33rd (East)L Military
2020Temple1–61–610th
2021Temple3–91–7T–9th
Temple:12–207–16
Total:64–50

Yeah, who needs to be prepared for the inevitable.
Let's just wait until the day Allen is fired then start the process.
Then walk down the hall and pick another Saban to fill the vacancy.

Well the smart ass comment aside, why don't you answer the question I posed?

I can help him: Look at the Washington State staff and the Eastern Michigan staff for starters... If he wants a bargain with a proven track record of turning around a perennial loser then Creighton and Piatkowski plus some of our remaining staff along with "as needed" additions is the way to go...

If he wants to go top dollar with an (almost) 2 year record of winning (sound familiar) then Washington State is the way to go... The only thing that scares me about them is their relatively short track record...

There's more out there I'm certain I just haven't made any effort to identify them yet...

All I ask is that he doesn't blow big money on some on his way out retread... The Kansas Les Miles "sure thing"fiasco comes to mind... (and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we end up going that route 😖🙈)

A good rule of thumb in the decision making should be: If a guy has managed to get fired from a job with twice the resources than we have to put towards football he's almost certainly Not the guy we want...

I'm looking for the guy who's found a way to win in spite of the lack of resources...

Character should be a key element also... If we lose Allen it doesn't mean we have to dump LEO as a baseline for day to day dealings within the TEAM...

That sounds like a great outline to start with.
I guess SD could make a list but I would imagine no talks would happen for another 15 months or is that not the way it works.

Reactions: 76-1
What smartass comment?
Every decent AD should have a list of possible replacements at all times for all sports.
That way you don't have to walk down the corridor and say, "Hey, Tom, wanna be head coach."
Now that's a smartass comment.
True, in fact there ought to be at least 4 or 5 names on that list...

Including an ultra long shot (if the $ could be found)...

My personal ultra long shot that would cost us top $$$$$$$$ is Lane Kiffen and most of his staff...

He seems to have matured and solved his early questionable character issues and theres no doubt he's one of the top QB developers and Offensive minds in college football...

It's highly unlikely that he'd even consider coming here but you don't know if you don't ask... Playing the west coast teams might intrigue him...; who knows...

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and IUINSB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT