ADVERTISEMENT

How Excited Would You Be If CTA Was Pulling

Big Red Buffalo

Benchwarmer
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2021
these transfers and freshman commits from 5.4 star and 5.5 star kids… we have lots of fans all of a sudden saying it is okay without a single down being coached.

Proof is in the pudding. We said the same thing when CTA came to town… now he is regularly admonished on the site…. I hope he truly does know what others don’t.

I’d save the trash talking until after we win the Big next season with this roster of 5.4-5,5 guys…. 🙄🙄🙄

I'm excited that he's been able to keep Carter Smith, Trent Howland, Donovan McCulley, and attract Trey Wedig, Kurtis Rourke, etc.

After closely watching the last 5 games of the season and how they played out, it's exciting to think that a better coach probably wins those games.

There's a lot to like with Cignetti; he's literally won a TON of games everywhere he's been. Allen didn't have that resume.

these transfers and freshman commits from 5.4 star and 5.5 star kids… we have lots of fans all of a sudden saying it is okay without a single down being coached.

Proof is in the pudding. We said the same thing when CTA came to town… now he is regularly admonished on the site…. I hope he truly does know what others don’t.

I’d save the trash talking until after we win the Big next season with this roster of 5.4-5,5 guys…. 🙄🙄🙄
You're right. Proof is in the pudding. But I'm afraid your man couldn't win with 6 star kids. That was the problem. He just wasn't up to the job.

Last edited:
I'm excited that he's been able to keep Carter Smith, Trent Howland, Donovan McCulley, and attract Trey Wedig, Kurtis Rourke, etc.

After closely watching the last 5 games of the season and how they played out, it's exciting to think that a better coach probably wins those games.

There's a lot to like with Cignetti; he's literally won a TON of games everywhere he's been. Allen didn't have that resume.
I agree… lots to like and excited about. But pretending stars don’t matter is ridiculous. Does anyone want to argue they wouldn’t trade our commitment list for Ohio States right now?

We just need to keep our heads here. We aren’t winning the Big next year but it doesn’t mean we won’t improve.

Reactions: red hornet
I agree… lots to like and excited about. But pretending stars don’t matter is ridiculous. Does anyone want to argue they wouldn’t trade our commitment list for Ohio States right now?

We just need to keep our heads here. We aren’t winning the Big next year but it doesn’t mean we won’t improve.
Way to ruin my new Head Coach pre Christmas buzz!

Change your Avatar to a Crimson Grinch...

I'm still believing we'll be in that Championship game (and will be leaving cookies out for Santa too [as long as he doesn't go with Adidas this year and changes his uniform colors on me]...).

I would argue that as our recruiting rankings went up - our record went down. Not saying that rankings don’t matter, and I think several factors played into this, but I love what I’m seeing from new regime so far.

I think there is also some readjusting of stars when they commit to a big time program like Ohio state.

Talent matters obviously but stars is just how the media sees the talent.

Coaching staff is hopefully not reliant on just what the media thinks but also, or even mostly, on their own research. The coaching staff is likely watching a lot more film and probably also getting more tips on players from hs coaches that they have relationships with due to past recruits/players.

It has become apparent that most of our past 4 stars were mis-ranked by the media.

How'd that top 20 transfer class from last year work out? Coach Cignetti said he doesn't recruit on stars but on results.

All we have is the data in front of us and that is generally positive.

That is the whole story nothing more nothing less. No predictions or promises

Reactions: kmathum
So, what was the point of your OP then?

Is there a specific level of optimism on recruits, or posters enjoying themselves that will be approved?

MAC level won't cut it. But they have to fill the class. Some for any new coach is guys he was in on before. And I find it hard to believe anybody thinks that'll be the type of recruits after a full year. After 3-4 weeks? Sure.

Got some good ones back though, and an addition or two that are strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990

You know, you really are a schmuck.
You rip CTA and Dolson with derogatory terms and hyperbole and now......
you post this gem.
What are you doing, setting it up so that you can say "I told you so" if next season goes south??!!

8th year Tom Allen getting low rated players would make the off-season of 8th year Tom Allen even more palpable. I'm willing to see if Cigs and co. can turn the same type of players into starters at the B1G level. If results on the field show that we don't need highly rated recruits then so be it but I'd like to see the program pull in highly rated players and develop them.

Very encouraging to see players returning that have high level offers and speaks to the plan he has for the team and players. I'm optimistic for development of whoever comes through the program.

Way to ruin my new Head Coach pre Christmas buzz!

Change your Avatar to a Crimson Grinch...

I'm still believing we'll be in that Championship game (and will be leaving cookies out for Santa too [as long as he doesn't go with Adidas this year and changes his uniform colors on me]...).

Just saw Santa over Bloomington in the front seat of his sleigh. Dressed in all black, smoking a cigarette with a sack full of Lucas Oil Stadium tickets. Not sure, but it looked like a weasel, a pipefitter, and a poisonous nut in the backseat.

• Haha
Reactions: ESalum86
I think regardless of who the coach is Indiana is still a tough place to pull recruits to with our historical 4 win a season program. I love Tom Allen's passion and desire to make Indiana good. I think he has had success as a coordinator but just did not seem to make the transition to head coach to build a consistent big ten program that was at least going to bowl games most years and winning at least 50 percent of Big Ten conference games.

Right now, I am just encouraged that we have a head coach that seems to be driven by the challenge, has a plan and knows what he likes and wants. I am hoping that with that coaching and discipline we see many more Micah McFadden two stars and less 4 stars that never make it at Indiana. Sampson James unfortunately the most recent example.

Just saw Santa over Bloomington in the front seat of his sleigh. Dressed in all black, smoking a cigarette with a sack full of Lucas Oil Stadium tickets. Not sure, but it looked like a weasel, a pipefitter, and a poisonous nut in the backseat.
If that's the case I hope he flys directly over Crane. I've heard they're testing an upgraded version of the Stinger and love it when they have something other than just target drones to work with...

• Haha
Reactions: red hornet
I get what CCC is saying about stars. Now if you were talking the difference between a 2 star kid and a 5 star kid then that's one thing but when you are talking a high 3 and low 4 then they are basically the same. So then it comes down to development of the player and their willingness to put in the work.

I also think there are plenty of lower rated players who are late bloomers and go under the radar and go under recruited. It's not like basketball where those kids play in leagues of elite vs elite. In football, you are trying to evaluate the player who may look like a stud but is playing against lesser talent over a very short time.

If that's the case I hope he flys directly over Crane. I've heard they're testing an upgraded version of the Stinger and love it when they have something other than just target drones to work with...
^^^ (He's an angry elf)

So, what was the point of your OP then?

Is there a specific level of optimism on recruits, or posters enjoying themselves that will be approved?

MAC level won't cut it. But they have to fill the class. Some for any new coach is guys he was in on before. And I find it hard to believe anybody thinks that'll be the type of recruits after a full year. After 3-4 weeks? Sure.

Got some good ones back though, and an addition or two that are strong.
I agree with you. I do…. I just think it is stupid to go around arguing what we are pulling now is good enough for the Big…. I do think we take what we can and next cycle we will have a better view of the type of players he can get. I think he will be a strong recruiter.

You know, you really are a schmuck.
You rip CTA and Dolson with derogatory terms and hyperbole and now......
you post this gem.
What are you doing, setting it up so that you can say "I told you so" if next season goes
No I want a good honest football program. A real one. I also think the admin should be held accountable for not supporting it more vigorously. I’ve been conditioned to not play the preseason hype game of the past.

Win. Be soft, hug, Pat on the ass, or kick’em n the ass I don’t care. Just win.

It’s funny. I post this and I’m a schmuck. I post a positive and I’m a clown. So get as personal as you want but we suck and doing the same thing or pretending it’s different for an off season isn’t in my juice anymore.

Win…. When we do, you won’t be so sensitive

Who said stars don’t matter? What I heard from CCC was that he doesn’t evaluate players by star ranking. If he found a 5 star that he wanted I’m sure he would pursue him. If he sees something in a 2 star that he thinks would work in his system I’m guessing he would recruit him. To suggest CCC passes on players because they have a high star rating is just dumb.

Would depend on how many of our current players would have entered the portal by now, if CTA was coming back.

But assuming we weren't going to lose all that many...adding Rourke and Wedig, alone, would have been an exciting start to portal season.

I'm more excited about the guys that are staying, and the guys we're getting though, because I have more hope that Coach Cig will coach them a lot better than CTA did.

Considering IU lost what, 50 or so players after the last 2 seasons combined, WITH TA STAYING???
I think it’s safe to say, numbers leaving might have been similar again this year had he been kept…Perhaps not all the same guys who did jump into the portal, but likely plenty would have gone.

Heck, look at Sorsby. The news had barely hit that TA was out and it was obvious he had already been tampered with by Cincy. Others, not happy with their roles, would have gone too.

I’m all for letting Coach Cig do it his way with SOME Group of 5 transfers who can be coached up into Big 10 players vs all the “lateral” transfers TA brought in with similar results the last few years.

No I want a good honest football program. A real one. I also think the admin should be held accountable for not supporting it more vigorously. I’ve been conditioned to not play the preseason hype game of the past.

Win. Be soft, hug, Pat on the ass, or kick’em n the ass I don’t care. Just win.

It’s funny. I post this and I’m a schmuck. I post a positive and I’m a clown. So get as personal as you want but we suck and doing the same thing or pretending it’s different for an off season isn’t in my juice anymore.

Win…. When we do, you won’t be so sensitive

Good grief, maybe that was the coaches of the past but DAMN, you can't listen to CCC and think the status quo will be tolerated. Dolson hired a REAL football coach and the man has never had a losing season. If IU has a winning season next year then that would be the first miracle towards sainthood!

It is ok to be excited about the new direction of IU football or you can do you and take your position as head troll. Your choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT