ADVERTISEMENT

A little birdie

You gotta understand that, to some IU fans, it's an article of faith that (1) UK is and always has been a slimy basketball program, (2) virtually all their players are ingrates, and (3) John Calipari doesn't want to end this so much as accentuate and rely on it.

Now, I'm not much of a fan of the one-and-done thing. And there's no question that no college coach has embraced OAD as much as Cal has. But, that said, it's neither here nor there in regards to the character of players....and there's also no question about the results Cal has achieved with it.

I don't think it's the only path to consistent success in college basketball today. But it's clearly one of them.

And I agree with you that Kentucky in the Calipari era has had kids who are not only obviously fine players, but apparently also fine people.
BUT! with all of that talent Alford beat his team on their own court

BUT! with all of that talent Alford beat his team on their own court
I have 99 problems with hiring Steve Alford and Pierre Pierce ain't one. Ninety-eight of them are that he is a mediocre basketball coach with less historical success than Tom Crean.

The other is Luke Recker. Alford totally effed over the entire IU fan base and the basketball program he played for by allowing that selfish, entitled brat to transfer there and play against the teammates he screwed over. SA should have done the decent thing and told him to look elsewhere (in another conference) but his self-interest outweighed any sense of loyalty to his alma mater.

If Alford is offered, one of the conditions of his hiring ought to be that every IU fan who wishes to gets the opportunity to give him a free-shot groin kick at mid-court of AH for pulling that classless move.

The other is Luke Recker. Alford totally effed over the entire IU fan base and the basketball program he played for by allowing that selfish, entitled brat to transfer there and play against the teammates he screwed over. SA should have done the decent thing and told him to look elsewhere (in another conference) but his self-interest outweighed any sense of loyalty to his alma mater.

Meh. Sure it pissed us off, but as Iowa's coach it's not exactly his responsibility to remain loyal to his alma mater at the expense of the school who employed him.Was it kind shitty? Yeah. But I didn't see anyone moaning when Sampson effed over Illinois with Eric Gordon. It's a tough business.

That said, I agree that he has had mediocre success and I certainly hope we go a different direction.

I have 99 problems with hiring Steve Alford and Pierre Pierce ain't one. Ninety-eight of them are that he is a mediocre basketball coach with less historical success than Tom Crean.

If Alford is offered, one of the conditions of his hiring ought to be that every IU fan who wishes to gets the opportunity to give him a free-shot groin kick at mid-court of AH for pulling that classless move.
Yes! Plus he failed to obtain RMKs permission to even TAKE the Iowa job!

I had zero problems with Luke Recker. I had problems with Luke Fischer - I thought he owed it to IU to put in a full year.

I had zero problems with Luke Recker. I had problems with Luke Fischer - I thought he owed it to IU to put in a full year.
Cool. I'm glad that you have such a firm grasp of what a selfish person he is and what an angel Troy Williams was/is. Who wouldn't love to be his roommate?

First off, Luke went to UCLA first. Secondly, a good player asks to come play for your team - why would Steve turn that down? Alford got IU a championship, he literally owes nothing more to IU. To be pissed at Steve for not being charitable to IU is nonsense.

With all of that said, Steve simply isn't who we want as our coach.

First off, Luke went to UCLA first. Secondly, a good player asks to come play for your team - why would Steve turn that down? Alford got IU a championship, he literally owes nothing more to IU. To be pissed at Steve for not being charitable to IU is nonsense.

Arizona.

A little off topic but has anybody followed this thing between Alford and Sean Miller. Im surprised it hasnt been discussed. Alford called a timeout with a 5 point lead at Az with a few seconds left. Miller took offense and called a timeout with .9 seconds with a 10 point lead. Heated exchange between the 2 at end of the game

Texted me tonight from a D.C. Hotel room. Tom will be given the option to resign and be free to seek another job. If he refuses Glass will pull the trigger. Tom Crean will not be coaching the NIT. Also, word is a certain coach in LA is the early leader after all the initial "feelers" have been put out. But that there is still a long way to go and a new coach will not be made until after the final four.
This is a very good source from someone close to the program. I'm not asking for you to believe me, I'm just sharing information. I guess time will tell. If she's right, we will know soon.

I love the Internet

Reactions: largemouth

I thought Luke went Arizona first

It reminds me of Roy Williams coming home leaving Kansas for UNC. Except this is deeper then that grew up in Indiana won a national championship under Knight will kill it recruiting in Indiana be interesting if Wilkes comes to IU?
This is nothing like that. Roy Williams has won just under 79% of his games and Alford is around 65%. Williams has a bunch of B12 and ACC titles. Alford has 2 B1G tourney titles.

Bottom line is that Alford is a mediocre coach in major conference play and Williams is one of the best of all-time. It's not even close.

Reactions: PtownHoosier

You do realize that Recker transferred to Arizona first then went to Iowa after is car accident.

Helping cover up and protecting a rapist isn't something you can "get over" and shows an absolute lack in judgement that, IMHO, should disqualify you. Period. Add to that that he's not really done anything more than Crean in his coaching career and......well, there are better coaching options. A lot better.

I am not trying to defend Alford, but let's not forget, after the Pierre Pierce incident while at Iowa, two other schools hired Alford--New Mexico and UCLA. Good or bad, I don't think it's as big of an issue in the eyes of those making coaching decisions as you think it is. Will Indiana look at it differently? I doubt it.

Helping cover up and protecting a rapist isn't something you can "get over" and shows an absolute lack in judgement that, IMHO, should disqualify you. Period. Add to that that he's not really done anything more than Crean in his coaching career and......well, there are better coaching options. A lot better.

I am not trying to defend Alford, but let's not forget, after the Pierre Pierce incident while at Iowa, two other schools hired Alford--New Mexico and UCLA. Good or bad, I don't think it's as big of an issue in the eyes of those making coaching decisions as you think it is. Will Indiana look at it differently? I doubt it.

You can say that again. I hope IU passes on Alford. He looks good in baby blue, with the perfect hair and all.

I am ok with Alford being hired under the following scenario....

-Stevens, Donovan, Marshall, Bennett, Miller, A. Miller, and Holtman are all offered and say No.

To me, he is is a lot like Crean. Inconsistent and no D.

I will give him the benefit that he recruits Indiana well. UCLA currently has more Indiana ties than what Indiana does. (Leaf, 3 Alfords, Wilkes, Assistant Coach from Indy, Alex O., and I think one more player).

I am ok with Alford being hired under the following scenario....

-Stevens, Donovan, Marshall, Bennett, Miller, A. Miller, and Holtman are all offered and say No.

To me, he is is a lot like Crean. Inconsistent and no D.

I will give him the benefit that he recruits Indiana well. UCLA currently has more Indiana ties than what Indiana does. (Leaf, 3 Alfords, Wilkes, Assistant Coach from Indy, Alex O., and I think one more player).
Its really starting to seem like some would rather have Tom come back then Alford hired. People need to get their priorities straight

I don't root for New Mexico or UCLA. If Indiana hires Alford I won't root for Indiana, my alma mater, anymore either.

Reactions: echs86
Its really starting to seem like some would rather have Tom come back then Alford hired. People need to get their priorities straight
Crean has never enabled rape or interfered with a criminal investigation to try to get a victim to retract allegations.

Not true. Alford landed those recruits. UCLA is not exactly A great place to play. Fans have many options in LA. So it's not like these guys play in front of sale out crowds every night, or get treated like kids from Ky, Dke, UNC Or even UL.

The guy a few posts back said. If his name was not Alford he would not get a sniff us.
Not true. SA has built a pretty solid program with recruits he got and IU has been trying to get under Crean.

In my opinion. It would be easier to recruit IU then UCLA for Alford. Hell he wouldn't have to leave the state that he just happens to be a legend in. To get top recruits.

Kids may not remember him. But moms, dads, uncles and coaches do. And most b of the time its those people directing and pushing a kid to a school. So SA in my opinion would be a good hire. Not great. But pretty good.

You obviously aren't around the Indiana AAU scene.

Alford would NOT lock down the state.

Reactions: echs86
I would be happy welcome Steve Alford back to Bloomington. He seems like he is continuously improving as a recruiter and is on the fringe of becoming an elite coach. Maybe he just needs to wear an IU logo again to get himself to the next level.

Priorities? His resume is worse than Crean's. Crean has had us at #1 and got us #1 seeds, but didn't go anywhere in the tournament. Alford does the same thing. He is too inconsistent in the regular season as well. Sound familiar? At least Crean went to a Final Four...and I don't care that he had Wade; he recruited him. The goal is to get good players.

What is your priority? A good coach or nostalgia?

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
I would be happy welcome Steve Alford back to Bloomington. He seems like he is continuously improving as a recruiter and is on the fringe of becoming an elite coach. Maybe he just needs to wear an IU logo again to get himself to the next level.
An IU logo isn't a magical spell. If he hadn't played here, no one would want him.

Reactions: largemouth

I am not concerned about the PP thing either at this point, he made a mistake believing the kid and acted on it...and has said so. I also don't have an issue with Recker. The kid did not want to play for Knight. He loved IU and Kelly there. Have zero problem with Steve taking him when he did.

His resume is not as good as one would expect to coach at Indiana, but I wonder how well he could do recruiting as a legend in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT