ADVERTISEMENT

A Bison Sideline Mascot

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
I'd just find the most realistic looking fake Bison head out there (or better..., contract with whoever makes that sort of thing to come up with two of them [a primary and a backup]...)

Have the head and horns be the focal point with long sleeves and long pants covering all else aside from the wrist and hand area... We' d have to come up with a couple of fake hooves to cover the hands and wrists...

Once again, stay far away from the clown look and lean towards realism... (Ped Pete is a great example of the ultra creepy "clown look" and what Not to do)...

Just a "Keep It Simple stupid" approach that could have things up and running rapidly and not have a great deal of upkeep and expenditure after the initial outlay for the two heads...

One key would be to find someone at least 6'2" with broad shoulders to wear the head...

The kids under 7 or 8 would love him...

My Avatar endorses this concept. 😎
He's willing to allow his image and likeness to be used as a prototype model if needed...

What is up with the Bison? 99% of everyone under 60 would have no concept of the Bison even being related to IU out of Nicks.
Everyone who watched that Bison run on the big screen used to love it... That wasn't all that long ago... ((Besides I promised Univee I'd get on this in January so I'm finally getting around to it 😖))..

Last edited:
Everyone who watched that Bison run on the big screen used to love it... That wasn't all that long ago... ((Besides I promised Univee I'd get on this in January so I'm finally getting around to it 😖))..
I bet when it was shown there was a large segment that was wondering why or probably assumed it was somehow related to the state of Indiana. Trust me. I am old, 48, and have followed IU football since Anthony Thompson and I only know of the Bison because of this board. Outside of this board, and Nicks, I would have zero context.

burger big food bucket list GIF by Food Network Canada

How about a bison burger eating contest before each game? lol

What is up with the Bison? 99% of everyone under 60 would have no concept of the Bison even being related to IU out of Nicks.

Haven't you heard, a bison is on the state seal.
Indiana automatically jumps into anyone's mind when bison are mentioned even though there hasn't been a wild bison in Indiana for well over a 100 years!
IMO, a forced marriage at best. How many years would sideline commentators have to explain why there is a bison as IU's mascot?
If it was done tactfully, I wouldn't oppose it, but I have zero confidence in IU doing that.

Indiana automatically jumps into anyone's mind when bison are mentioned even though there hasn't been a wild bison in Indiana for well over a 100 years!
IMO, a forced marriage at best. How many years would sideline commentators have to explain why there is a bison as IU's mascot?
If it was done tactfully, I wouldn't oppose it, but I have zero confidence in IU doing that.
We’d be getting a late start but I like the bison idea. Southern Indiana claims the Buffalo Trace, a hugely important early byway from now New Albany to Vincennes. The wild buffalo created the trail over centuries of annual migration from the Plains to Kentucky. (Hence Buffalo Trace bourbon).

We’d be getting a late start but I like the bison idea. Southern Indiana claims the Buffalo Trace, a hugely important early byway from now New Albany to Vincennes. The wild buffalo created the trail over centuries of annual migration from the Plains to Kentucky. (Hence Buffalo Trace bourbon).
For those who need an Indiana History refresher

A bit of Buffalo Trace history

In the recent Washington Post article on the Little 500:

"Then, victory. A place in Little 500 history. A trophy, a red and white lei, and — for some reason — a small stuffed buffalo as prizes."

The bison video on the big screen was awesome. Someone in our group mentions how the miss it. I hope they do something new that doesn't suck or bring the bison video back. Oh yeah, BRING BACK THE WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE!!!

The bison video on the big screen was awesome. Someone in our group mentions how the miss it. I hope they do something new that doesn't suck or bring the bison video back. Oh yeah, BRING BACK THE WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE!!!
William Tell has nothing to do with Indiana except for our small town on the Ohio River "Tell City".

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
I will not list all the mascots which have no real connection to their state or school, but will say that “boilermakers” do not bring to mind anything favorable.

I will not list all the mascots which have no real connection to their state or school, but will say that “boilermakers” do not bring to mind anything favorable.
And I would imagine that most of those schools like the one in WL, have used those names forever.
I guess it isn't too late but I think it will be hard to get it going.
IU would still be the Hoosiers and would have a bison as a mascot???
How many schools have a mascot that has nothing to do with the name of their sports teams?

And I would imagine that most of those schools like the one in WL, have used those names forever.
I guess it isn't too late but I think it will be hard to get it going.
IU would still be the Hoosiers and would have a bison as a mascot???
How many schools have a mascot that has nothing to do with the name of their sports teams?
Right off the top of my head; Alabama Crimson Tide is an elephant, Western Ky. Hilltoppers is a towel. I'm sure I could find more if I was to study on it. (props to Andy Griffith).

I was waiting for this annual post.

Something is happening though. The Lil 500 gave the winners a stuffed buffalos and said that it was anew tradition. And the Buffalo themed Lil 500 tshirts sold out.
Things such as this limited T-shirts slam dunk drives me to think this could build pretty fast and easy. Real proactive action to give this buffalo mascot for IUFB a sincere attempt with the realization the possible need to adapt and improvise the product for 2-3 years till it's what we like. What the hell, this isn't the reach of a drum, fake train engine and some clown-shoed character with a sledgehammer is.

My avatar says the bulk of the western Bison family is a little embarrassed by their lightweight, metrosexual, cousin who's spent far too much time hanging out in a Connecticut Zoo and they haven't been in touch for years...,but..., whoever drew his caricature probably did actually come fairly close to capturing what a puny human would look like wearing a small Bison head...

He also said:
Lose the cigarette and the goggles and add another inch and a half to the horns, bulk him up a touch all around and you might have a reasonable facsimile of a young Bisons head...

Looks like whoever drew that did a nice job with the fore-hooves too...
Sportsman's guide has an Italian Army Trigger Finger Overmitt that might preclude having to fabricate fake fore-hooves...:

They also have a Czech version (but you'd have to pull out the liners and vent it somehow or they'd be too warm):

Looks like we're nearing a potential tentative template to present to Scott Dolson...

Well Done.

Carry On...

Last edited:
Nah….start a tradition and no explanation needed. Plenty of examples out there of schools with mascots that become tradition and have no apparent ties.
Auburn Tigers - release the War Damn Eagle” prior to games. Didn’t know a war eagle was part of their official mascot but they do it and everybody knows it. It’s not part of their nickname. Didn’t even know that “war eagles” were connected to the state? Eagles and Tigers are a perfect match, everyone knows.
Roll Tide - hey, let’s stick an elephant in there for the mascot. Makes perfect sense.
Stanford - the foam tree tied in perfectly with a Cardinal. Another perfect union.
The WKU Hilltoppers - chose a red blob…because everyone knows a Hilltopper looks like something like Grimace from McDonalds.

New era of football. Kids are getting paid. Change is needed. Embrace it. All the old school of thought can go out the window. A mascot for IU is no more a shock to the system than pay for play and amateur free agency. Go with the new era and embrace radical change.

99% of those under 60 are more obsessed with selfies. It would create no more turmoil in their life introducing a new mascot. People have bigger things to worry about like taking pictures of their food and posting it for all to see.

Nah….start a tradition and no explanation needed. Plenty of examples out there of schools with mascots that become tradition and have no apparent ties.
Auburn Tigers - release the War Damn Eagle” prior to games. Didn’t know a war eagle was part of their official mascot but they do it and everybody knows it. It’s not part of their nickname. Didn’t even know that “war eagles” were connected to the state? Eagles and Tigers are a perfect match, everyone knows.
Roll Tide - hey, let’s stick an elephant in there for the mascot. Makes perfect sense.
Stanford - the foam tree tied in perfectly with a Cardinal. Another perfect union.
The WKU Hilltoppers - chose a red blob…because everyone knows a Hilltopper looks like something like Grimace from McDonalds.

New era of football. Kids are getting paid. Change is needed. Embrace it. All the old school of thought can go out the window. A mascot for IU is no more a shock to the system than pay for play and amateur free agency. Go with the new era and embrace radical change.
Triple DITTO!

Reactions: 76-1
I want a real bison, snorting like hell and pawing the ground. Take him on a road trip to West Lafayette and let him drop a load on the 50-yard line.

Go all out or don’t go at all . . . .

Not true. Old timers loved it but the student section always watched in confused silence. I'm probably in the minority on this site, but that video was always awful and cheesy. The bison really does not connect with IU. A mascot doesn't have to be a thing - it can just be a costumed human character. A Hoosier, afterall, is a human.

... Why just a Bison?.... How about a Bison BURGER mascot!!... Not to promote McD's but looking kinda like Mayor McCheese or even The Hamburgalar!

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT