ADVERTISEMENT

A Bison Sideline Mascot

We’d be getting a late start but I like the bison idea. Southern Indiana claims the Buffalo Trace, a hugely important early byway from now New Albany to Vincennes. The wild buffalo created the trail over centuries of annual migration from the Plains to Kentucky. (Hence Buffalo Trace bourbon).
again, no one under a 100 years old associates our State or University with a Buffalo. It's weird and corny. It's ok we don't have a mascot.

again, no one under a 100 years old associates our State or University with a Buffalo. It's weird and corny. It's ok we don't have a mascot.
Anyone in Indiana who's ever seen the state seal associates the Bison with INDIANA and clearly a heck of a lot of fans of INDIANA Football associate the Bison with INDIANA. If you chose to remain in the dark about it that's your problem not ours...

Our most successful mascot attempt lasted four years. So lets bring back a loser idea.
The loser mentality is thinking we are unique because we have no mascot. Others view us as disengaged. Just because it didn’t survive in 1965 doesn’t mean it cannot happen now.
By the way, the image is still on many things apart from Nick’s.
Fanatics.com had the IU bison shirts in stock last year and they sold out, so there is interest out there.

I want th
The bison video on the big screen was awesome. Someone in our group mentions how the miss it. I hope they do something new that doesn't suck or bring the bison video back. Oh yeah, BRING BACK THE WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE!!!
I want the bison video back and just as it looks like entering stadium a live bison runs out (don’t care if it’s a baby) across a candy stripe end zone. Come on iu make it happen. Too many wanting the bison video bring it back and make all of this happen. 2. Hire a band director from a southern school and put out a high steppin beat going band halftime show. Think outside the damn box

The loser mentality is thinking we are unique because we have no mascot. Others view us as disengaged. Just because it didn’t survive in 1965 doesn’t mean it cannot happen now.
Fanatics.com had the IU bison shirts in stock last year and they sold out, so there is interest out there.

Who in hell thinks "we are unique because we have no mascot"?
I have never seen that take on here.
Outside of a few examples, the mascot is an embodiment of the universities sports teams.
In IU's case there is no natural mascot.

I want th

I want the bison video back and just as it looks like entering stadium a live bison runs out (don’t care if it’s a baby) across a candy stripe end zone. Come on iu make it happen. Too many wanting the bison video bring it back and make all of this happen. 2. Hire a band director from a southern school and put out a high steppin beat going band halftime show. Think outside the damn box
The candy striped end zone is such an obvious missed opportunity that it makes me mad thinking about it.

Evidently Bison are good for the environment in a variety of ways also...

We should embrace them at all levels of the university hierarchy. 😎

Besides that he's our "National Mammal":

To consider Any other mascot would be un-American 😉...

Heck..., we ought to have a small herd grazing Dunn Meadow (not only would it be ecologically sound it would solve a few other problems too)...

And..., under the heading of probably more information than you might want to know...-

//Warning- If you love Spinach Artichoke Dip don't read this-

And one more article -

Last edited:
I'm sporting one of these a few times/month. I want the block I back on the helmets too.

OIP.4HR7nWoWKHG9r5wmg5fZ3wHaFX

The Fightin’ Hoosier Bison is unstoppable.

Try and tackle this sumbitch

And buy your girl a hat for the games:

764acdf0a92f140c6128bceaa0171619.jpg
...actually...that is pretty cute.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Our most successful mascot attempt lasted four years. So lets bring back a loser idea.

The football team hasn't been that successful so we should just not bring them back (sarcasm) :)

The only mascot we had during my time were those blow up people that ran around. They were able to entertain the crowd at times. Mascots can't shine a turd if the football team stinks but they are generally not a negative.

I want a real bison, snorting like hell and pawing the ground. Take him on a road trip to West Lafayette and let him drop a load on the 50-yard line.

Go all out or don’t go at all . . . .
The team has done that all too often.

I'm not a big mascot proponent but if IU must have one it needs to be an intimidating mascot.
Take the ax wielding dude on the state seal, give him a Jack Nicholson "Here's Johnny" facial expression. Send him after visiting fan's children.

I want th

The candy striped end zone is such an obvious missed opportunity that it makes me mad thinking about it.
Exactly! Optimism by the train load with this wholesale change Dolson has orchestrated for the program. Let's not just turn a page or 2 but open a whole new book.

I havent found one person who thinks it makes us "cool" or "unique". We just don't care that we don't have one.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
The football team hasn't been that successful so we should just not bring them back (sarcasm) :)

The only mascot we had during my time were those blow up people that ran around. They were able to entertain the crowd at times. Mascots can't shine a turd if the football team stinks but they are generally not a negative.
I just dont see the need for one and I don't hear the vast majority of people screaming for it either. This is such a weird discussion.

Outside of a few examples, the mascot is an embodiment of the universities sports teams.
1000% agreed.

Stated multiple times over the years that IU endorses this unique and “special” status because we choose not to place a mascot on the sidelines.
Nobody outside of Indiana can tell you what a Hoosier is and even within the state, there are a variety of “origin” stories about how the term was developed. “Who’s Ear” was part of the folklore. I understand the current environment with cancel culture and sensitivity being at play. It’s why Chief Illiniwek was removed but a bison/buffalo is a benign figure that maybe only PETA might get riled up about.
I look at it as a way to bolster school spirit and create something to rally behind.
Candy Stripes have zero association with the term “Hoosier.” Were native Hoosiers walking around the state in the 1800s in candy stripe clothing? Find me a picture and you have an argument. Nothing about candy stripe attire can be connected to our school nickname. But somewhere along the line, we decided to adopt it as an identity for basketball. It’s become tradition and is associated with the program.
In an age of NIL, we should embrace some type of likeness that can be associated with the school. But I understand that some folks have this stance that we can’t depict a “Hoosier” and prefer to leave it alone.
The mascot issue to me is thinking outside the box and creating brand awareness as much as anything.

We had an owl for something like 2 years in the 19 and aughts, yet the Hoo Hoo Hoosiers chant still hangs on and is probably more popular than ever now. I don't recall ever hearing it at a football or basketball game in the mid-late 80s. Why is the Bison discussion so off-putting to some?

I havent found one person who thinks it makes us "cool" or "unique". We just don't care that we don't have one.
Right. We just don’t care. So, if we don’t care whether we have one, let’s try installing one and see how it goes? If they don’t care that we have one, maybe they won’t care that we do but it’s minimal investment and maybe it would take off? Then, what’s the harm? It’s not going to destroy any lives. But, it’s an attempt.

We had an owl for something like 2 years in the 19 and aughts, yet the Hoo Hoo Hoosiers chant still hangs on and is probably more popular than ever now. I don't recall ever hearing it at a football or basketball game in the mid-late 80s. Why is the Bison discussion so off-putting to some?
Wait, what? We had an owl? Also, are you saying the Hoo Hoo Hoosier chant came from us having an owl as our mascot? That seems backwards to me.

Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers was a chant that didn’t surface until the early 2000s. I remember first hearing it in Atlanta at the Final Four. But it’s stuck around. You can always develop traditions. There is no statute of limitations that says you cannot create a tradition. Hep’s Rock was created in 2006. It’s stuck around. It’s about brand identity and creating associations.

Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers was a chant that didn’t surface until the early 2000s. I remember first hearing it in Atlanta at the Final Four. But it’s stuck around. You can always develop traditions. There is no statute of limitations that says you cannot create a tradition. Hep’s Rock was created in 2006. It’s stuck around. It’s about brand identity and creating associations.
So one guy says mid 80's and you say 2000. If it's 2000 that would be wild as I would say it was from as far back as I can remember. I am in boring meetings today so I may go down this rabbit hole.

Not true. Old timers loved it but the student section always watched in confused silence. I'm probably in the minority on this site, but that video was always awful and cheesy. The bison really does not connect with IU. A mascot doesn't have to be a thing - it can just be a costumed human character. A Hoosier, afterall, is a human.
I loved it and it got the crowd juiced.

But to each his own.

Reactions: 76-1
I'm sporting one of these a few times/month. I want the block I back on the helmets too.

I stopped when I saw 'form fitting'.

Ain't no one wants to see that.

The team has done that all too often.

I'm not a big mascot proponent but if IU must have one it needs to be an intimidating mascot.
Take the ax wielding dude on the state seal, give him a Jack Nicholson "Here's Johnny" facial expression. Send him after visiting fan's children.
A Charlie Manson look-alike?

Think of the T-shirt sales!

So one guy says mid 80's and you say 2000. If it's 2000 that would be wild as I would say it was from as far back as I can remember. I am in boring meetings today so I may go down this rabbit hole.
I didn't say mid 80s. I said the 19 and aughts, with the aughts being a poke at your old timer fixation about the bison and fans. I said I never heard it in the mid 80s. You need to either pay attention to this thread or your meetings. 😁

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT