ADVERTISEMENT

A Bison Sideline Mascot

Pete has to be the worst mascot in sports — not just college. Maybe there is one I haven’t thought of or don’t know about. But I doubt it.
Isn’t he the one who was once questioned by authorities after he was reported sniffing bicycles seats of pubescent girls at one of the Tippecanoe Co parks? He claimed in court he could differentiate between those who had started menses from those yet fully ripe. I remember reading about it on one of the back pages of the Courier-Journal back in the late 70’s, along with six months probation and a restraining order from this particular park. If you’ve ever wondered if Purdue Pete harbors dark secrets underneath that paper mache, well there you go!

IMO, it doesn't even come close to life and death but I can't say the same for the bison supporters.
I have said sever times that if it happens it really doesn't affect me either way. I just think it is silly.
I have no candy striped articles of clothing and unless it would be a gift, I can predict the future for Bison ware! LOL

You are mixing two different posts to two different posters.
I told MTIOTF that opinions are neither right or wrong.
I made fun of BRCB and his connecting Hoosier Pride with a successful football season.
Two entirely different posts about entirely different subjects.
The future of “bison ware” for IU sports apparel is pretty strong. A few years ago, IU gear sporting the bison image were pretty few and far between. Now, there are multiple online sellers of it and some of them sell out quickly. It’s like anything these days in an online environment: if it starts to go viral, people start catching on to it. Everyone is drawn to stuff that sells. Even the Hawk Tua girl will start wearing it at her events.

I can't see it or I'd comment on it...

All I can say is I think it's best to stay far, far away from any cartoon character types and stick as close to a realistic looking Bison/American Buffalo head as possible, with perhaps a little padding across the upper shoulders and around both biceps of the 6'2" + guy wearing the head... Even without a full suit the head is going to be hot, so instead of roaming the sidelines all game, we'd need to just bring him out for key plays.... or rotate ice packs in it somehow... (as needed).

Last edited:

All I can say is I think it's best to stay far, far away from any cartoon character types and stick as close to a realistic looking Bison/American Buffalo head as possible, with perhaps a little padding across the upper shoulders and around both biceps of the 6'2" + guy wearing the head... Even without a full suit the head is going to be hot, so instead of roaming the sidelines all game, we'd need to just bring him out for key plays....
The guy wearing it has a beer gut hanging over his belt… not a good look, albeit apropos for a school better knowing for its partying.

Bison head
Block I sweater (cool weather) or tee (hot)
Candy stripe drawers
Bison feet

My version:

Ultra-Realistic Bison head with some built in interior sleeves for cooling ice packs, or even warming packs (as needed)

#32 (for AT [with his permission] ) Football Jersey in Crimson with a white Cool Max long sleeve under shirt over a cooling vest rig {they're available from Fire Fighting equipment companies}...), along with padding beneath to resemble the muscle top of back hump, along with accentuated upper shoulder and arms an also upper thighs...
+Hoof style hand and wrist coverings

Light tan trousers

Crimson athletic shoes topped by Bison hair anklets (over the socks area)...

My approach is to keep something complicated as simple as possible while focusing on the realism of the Bison head...

One caveat: you need someone between 6'2" and 6"5 to pull this off well (preferably 6'5")... Perhaps the youngest OL or DL lineman (who's not available on game day) might be drafted for this duty...???

Last edited:
In addition to above:

Probably the best way to find the guy to wear the Bison head is to advertise it as a job with specific age range (17-27; Freshman through Grad Student), athleticism, conditioning, and size (215 plus)and height (6'2" plus) specific requirements; with a reasonable wage per game offered and then have a tryout among those that meet the qualifers and hire a Primary and a backup...

Then we're on our way...

Last edited:

All I can say is I think it's best to stay far, far away from any cartoon character types and stick as close to a realistic looking Bison/American Buffalo head as possible, with perhaps a little padding across the upper shoulders and around both biceps of the 6'2" + guy wearing the head... Even without a full suit the head is going to be hot, so instead of roaming the sidelines all game, we'd need to just bring him out for key plays.... or rotate ice packs in it somehow... (as needed).
Trust me - it's bad.

My version:

Ultra-Realistic Bison head with some built in interior sleeves for cooling ice packs, or even warming packs (as needed)

#32 (for AT [with his permission] ) Football Jersey in Crimson with a white Cool Max long sleeve under shirt over a cooling vest rig {they're available from Fire Fighting equipment companies}...), along with padding beneath to resemble the muscle top of back hump, along with accentuated upper shoulder and arms an also upper thighs...
+Hoof style hand and wrist coverings

Light tan trousers

Crimson athletic shoes topped by fur over the socks area...

My approach is to keep something complicated as simple as possible while focusing on the realism of the Bison head...

One caveat: you need someone between 6'2" and 6"5 to pull this off well (preferably 6'5")... Perhaps the youngest OL or DL lineman (who's not available on game day) might be drafted for this duty...???
Hairy looking red tennis shoes? Come on, Man, "It's Indiana!" A bison needs to have hooves. In this day and age of plastic molding, it shouldn't be difficult to fabricate a reasonable facsimile. Mottled shades of brown on acrylic "hooves" would mimic the dirt and excrement one might expect during a stampede along the Buffalo Trace. If we can't go real, let's at least make it look real.

Oh, and another thing...the nostrils need to snort smoke at the push of a button. A mascot needs to be able to work the crowd into a frenzy. Something as simple as a vape pen might be what takes them over the edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
The block I is what we had on helmets when I was there. WGAF about Illinois with their memorial stadium. I say we take back the block I and raze their stadium.
Not that most care, but it's pretty sad when a school with a world class business school can't follow very basic marketing/branding principals with their logos. Now we've re-introduced black into our color scheme everywhere you turn. It's embarrassing, as a Kelley person.

Not that most care, but it's pretty sad when a school with a world class business school can't follow very basic marketing/branding principals with their logos. Now we've re-introduced black into our color scheme everywhere you turn. It's embarrassing, as a Kelley person.
Don't disagree with you. All I said was that I loved the block I.

Me too, but that train is way down the tracks... The (sorry forgot the correct terminology) interlocking in appearance IU is uniquely ours and looks good (to me). I'm all on board with it...

Go IU !!! 😎
We are in Cour D' Alene and I had my jacket with the interlocking IU on.

Old guy with 2 canes comes up to me and says "Indiana University"? I said yes and he said "I had a scholarship offer from them for football. I ended up going to Arkansas."

This was 1962 and he said Arkansas were national champs. Interesting conversation. Poor guy could barely walk.

Hairy looking red tennis shoes? Come on, Man, "It's Indiana!" A bison needs to have hooves. In this day and age of plastic molding, it shouldn't be difficult to fabricate a reasonable facsimile. Mottled shades of brown on acrylic "hooves" would mimic the dirt and excrement one might expect during a stampede along the Buffalo Trace. If we can't go real, let's at least make it look real.

Oh, and another thing...the nostrils need to snort smoke at the push of a button. A mascot needs to be able to work the crowd into a frenzy. Something as simple as a vape pen might be what takes them over the edge.

My standard is to primarily stay away from anything cartoonish..., however I find myself strangely attracted to the the concept of our Bison mascot with snorted smoke emanating from his nostrils... I'd add someone else's idea (MTIOTF[?]) of flashing crimson eyes to that and you have a couple of Bison head accents that could really accentuate the deal...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT