ADVERTISEMENT

A Bison Sideline Mascot

This has never seemed like a compelling point to me.

Lincoln left Indiana in 1830, but we still claim him.

Most of the remaining Indian tribes in Indiana were forcibly removed in the 1820's and 1830's, but the name did not change.
And the GOP claims him every four years

Get a fella nicknamed "Indy" wearing leather jacket, khaki pants, and the appropriate hat on horseback. People may even be tempted to say he looks like Indiana Jones.

Have him ride out cracking a whip and being chased by varying groups of goons from week to week.

Promote him as a college professor.

Find a way around petty lawsuits for copyright infringement. The best mascots ride horseback.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Get a fella nicknamed "Indy" wearing leather jacket, khaki pants, and the appropriate hat on horseback. People may even be tempted to say he looks like Indiana Jones.

Have him ride out cracking a whip and being chased by varying groups of goons from week to week.

Find a way around petty lawsuits for copyright infringement. The best mascots ride horseback.
Looking forward to watching fans dodge the boulders rolling down from the top of Memorial Stadium.

Play that theme too:

My blood pressure never jumped at all.
The bison has no connection to IU unless you want to go with the stream of consciousness of

Indiana (the state) lost it's last bison in 1830.
Classes started at State Seminary in 1825.
State Seminary goes to Indiana College and then to Indiana University in 1828.
The bison is on the state seal.
Bison and IU overlap by a whole two years.
So therefore, the only logical choice for a mascot is the bison.

I have no problem with IU having a mascot but the ferver that some have for the idea is puzzling to me. And it would seem that I am not alone when the idea of a mascot has been tried many times and failed miserably.
Just please have the mascot not be embarrassing like hayseed Johnny or whatever that was called.
So … should Indiana state government remove the bison from the state seal? The axe man? The fence?

A “pacer” is a horse that pulls a cart and jockey. Has zero to do with Indiana, Indianapolis, or basketball.

Be against the bison if you want. But using the “reason” that they have been out of the state just doesn’t hold water.

Another example - there aren’t any Dukes in Virginia anymore. But that’s the JMU mascot.

No more Boomer Sooners in Oklahoma.

Aces aren’t purple.

Never were any blue devils. Duke didn’t care.

That thing at Western Kentucky never existed - but everybody knows where it’s from.

Etc.

We need every sport to wear long candy stripes warms up, and we need a FIGHTIN’ HOOSIER BISON for our mascot.

So … should Indiana state government remove the bison from the state seal? The axe man? The fence?

A “pacer” is a horse that pulls a cart and jockey. Has zero to do with Indiana, Indianapolis, or basketball.

Be against the bison if you want. But using the “reason” that they have been out of the state just doesn’t hold water.

Another example - there aren’t any Dukes in Virginia anymore. But that’s the JMU mascot.

Aces aren’t purple.

That thing at Western Kentucky never existed - but everybody knows where it’s from.

Etc.

We need every sport to wear long candy stripes warms up, and we need a FIGHTIN’ HOOSIER BISON for our mascot.
I don't care if any more are in Indiana, a Bison mascot would liven things up for football games.

Aces aren’t purple.

Etc.

That's great, you want it. I think it is silly. Both are opinions and neither is wrong and neither is right.

"But using the “reason” that they have been out of the state just doesn’t hold water."
And IMO, using the reason that a bison is on the state seal doesn't hold water either. Why don't we have the axe man as our mascot? Makes as much sense as the bison and besides, Axe Man could split open Pete's plastic head!!

In regards to your second point about the Pacers.....
The franchise was founded in 1967 as one of the original members of the ABA, taking the name “Pacers” in honor of Indiana being home to the Indianapolis 500 automobile race and the state's long history of harness racing.
So, it does make sense.

If they do it, I hope they do it well but I don't have much faith that they will.

I will ask you the question I asked BRCB before to which he never answered.
I was asked why I was so against the bison for which I gave my answer but....
I asked him why he is so for it and nothing but crickets.
Why are you so for it?

I was at IU for four years and didn't miss a mascot.
I have been an IU fan for 50 years and have not missed a mascot.
If they never have one, I am good with that.

That's great, you want it. I think it is silly. Both are opinions and neither is wrong and neither is right.

"But using the “reason” that they have been out of the state just doesn’t hold water."
And IMO, using the reason that a bison is on the state seal doesn't hold water either. Why don't we have the axe man as our mascot? Makes as much sense as the bison and besides, Axe Man could split open Pete's plastic head!!

In regards to your second point about the Pacers.....
The franchise was founded in 1967 as one of the original members of the ABA, taking the name “Pacers” in honor of Indiana being home to the Indianapolis 500 automobile race and the state's long history of harness racing.
So, it does make sense.

If they do it, I hope they do it well but I don't have much faith that they will.

I will ask you the question I asked BRCB before to which he never answered.
I was asked why I was so against the bison for which I gave my answer but....
I asked him why he is so for it and nothing but crickets.
Why are you so for it?

I was at IU for four years and didn't miss a mascot.
I have been an IU fan for 50 years and have not missed a mascot.
If they never have one, I am good with that.
I’ll answer your question:

I think a bison mascot looks f$&@ing cool.
I’ve been partial to animals as mascots because (a) human mascots look like creeps with big eyes and (b) could be potential pedophiles.
We haven’t been actually “just fine” without a mascot all these years. It’s a bad omen. We’ve sucked. Time to get the ju-ju going with something. I hated “Hoosier Pride” as much as the next fan but take a look at his one season the hayseed was here: won the Holiday Bowl and beat the #8 team in the nation. It’s good karma.
Also, just my opinion, but not having a mascot doesn’t makes us look unique. It makes us look unimaginative, lacking school pride and unintelligent for not figuring out what the other schools figured out long ago: mascots are symbols to rally around, can be trademarked and it’s actually for a good cause. Did you know that most mascots are paid? As a student wanting to make some money, it’s a nice incentive to know you get
paid for your time in a suit.

So, yeah, I like mascots.

Last edited:
I’ll answer your question:

I think a bison mascot looks f$&@ing cool.
I’ve been partial to animals as mascots because (a) human mascots look like creeps with big eyes and (b) could be potential pedophiles.
We haven’t been actually “just fine” without a mascot all these years. It’s a bad omen. We’ve sucked. Time to get the ju-ju going with something. I hated “Hoosier Pride” as much as the next fan but take a look at his one season the hayseed was here: won the Holiday Bowl and beat the #8 team in the nation. It’s good karma.
Also, just my opinion, but not having a mascot doesn’t makes us look unique. It makes us look unimaginative, lacking school pride and unintelligent for not figuring out what the other schools figured out long ago: mascots are symbols to rally around, can be trademarked and it’s actually for a good cause. Did you know that most mascots are paid? As a student wanting to make some money, it’s a nice incentive to know you get
paid for your time in a suit.

So, yeah, I like mascots.

Are you F****** kidding me?
"It's a bad omen."
Do you also believe that black cats are a bad omen and you don't walk under ladders? :rolleyes:

So Hoosier Pride was good karma? Of course, that was the ONLY reason that season was good! Good grief.
I have seen NO ONE say that not having a mascot makes us unique. Well, no one besides you.
And there are other schools that don't have mascots.

Throw some salt over your shoulder, knock on wood and have a great day!

"It's a bad omen."
Do you also believe that black cats are a bad omen and you don't walk under ladders? :rolleyes:

So Hoosier Pride was good karma? Of course, that was the ONLY reason that season was good! Good grief.
I have seen NO ONE say that not having a mascot makes us unique. Well, no one besides you.

Neither of us is right or wrong, but let me tell you why you're incredibly wrong.

LOL

Wow, you put together two different posts to two different people and that is what you got from it??!! Unreal.

The two posts from me had NOTHING to do with each other!
You told one guy that opinions aren't right or wrong, then jumped down another guy's throat for his after asking him to answer your previous question. I thought it was funny.

"It's a bad omen."

I’ll relay a true story from 1971 in the IU archives:

“In 1971, Bob Knight came to Indiana University and saw that Doc Councilman and the swim team was wearing candy stripe pants as part of their warm-up gear. Councilman was an innovator in tracking data to the point where he was one of the first to employ underwater cameras to track swimmer movement. Knight liked the candy stripes so much that he approached Doc to ask if he could implement the candy stripes with his program to serve as an identifying symbol of the team. Keep in mind that the candy stripes and the basketball program had no history together at the time. It was new and had no ties to the IU basketball program, let alone our state. It was new, fresh but didn’t have any identifiable, obvious tie-in as a symbol of our program.
Now, during this time, a certain contingent of IU faithful questioned this wardrobe and exactly what this all had to do with IU basketball. Led by the very vocal Al Bino, this contingent was very upset that this new idea was being rolled out with absolutely no connection to the program. They sought to remove this fresh symbol with the notion that IU should not simply roll out a change without concrete history linked to IU or the state of Indiana.
Now, as fate would have it, Knight and his program saw great early success in that first year and fans began to link the success with this new imagery as intimately connected with each other. Candy stripe pants created an association of a symbol of success. In the 53 years that followed, the candy stripes became so ingrained with our history of success that fans would raise hell if this was ever removed. Except Al, who is still questioning the connection to this very day.”

An example of creating a symbol for the program that had no historical ties whatsoever but the fanbase fell in love with said symbol and would now lose their shit if it was ever removed, except Al….because he protests that candy stripes were never worn in the state previously and were not included on the state seal!

“In 1971, Bob Knight came to Indiana University and saw that Doc Councilman and the swim team was wearing candy stripe pants as part of their warm-up gear. Councilman was an innovator in tracking data to the point where he was one of the first to employ underwater cameras to track swimmer movement. Knight liked the candy stripes so much that he approached Doc to ask if he could implement the candy stripes with his program to serve as an identifying symbol of the team. Keep in mind that the candy stripes and the basketball program had no history together at the time. It was new and had no ties to the IU basketball program, let alone our state. It was new, fresh but didn’t have any identifiable, obvious tie-in as a symbol of our program.
Now, during this time, a certain contingent of IU faithful questioned this wardrobe and exactly what this all had to do with IU basketball. Led by the very vocal Al Bino, this contingent was very upset that this new idea was being rolled out with absolutely no connection to the program. They sought to remove this fresh symbol with the notion that IU should not simply roll out a change without concrete history linked to IU or the state of Indiana.
Now, as fate would have it, Knight and his program saw great early success in that first year and fans began to link the success with this new imagery as intimately connected with each other. Candy stripe pants created an association of a symbol of success. In the 53 years that followed, the candy stripes became so ingrained with our history of success that fans would raise hell if this was ever removed. Except Al, who is still questioning the connection to this very day.”

An example of creating a symbol for the program that had no historical ties whatsoever but the fanbase fell in love with said symbol and would now lose their shit if it was ever removed, except Al….because he protests that candy stripes were never worn in the state previously and were not included on the state seal!
I can attest to another thing - I grew up around Kentucky fans. They hated Coach Knight, IU and occasionally me. But even they admitted they wished they had come up with the stripes first.

And PS - in 1972 my Indiana high school started wearing blue and white striped warms ups.

And remember Evansville? They were known for floor-length warm-up robes, each a different color, and short-sleeved orange jerseys. Arad McCutchan wore orange socks. They were the Purple Aces. None of which had crap to do with anything. But they were well-known.

Nice narrative but only the first few lines were true.
The rest was BS but you are good at that.

Do you not think that there is a huge difference between a uniform accessory and a mascot?

I "jumped down his throat" because he evidently believes in the good karma of Hoosier Pride.
Don't know how you could have missed it.
It was clearly his opinion, which you said were neither right or wrong.

I thought it was funny for you to do what you did. You seem to think it's approaching life and death.

Whatever. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Hope you don't either.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
It was clearly his opinion, which you said were neither right or wrong.

I thought it was funny for you to do what you did. You seem to think it's approaching life and death.

Whatever. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Hope you don't either.

IMO, it doesn't even come close to life and death but I can't say the same for the bison supporters.
I have said sever times that if it happens it really doesn't affect me either way. I just think it is silly.
I have no candy striped articles of clothing and unless it would be a gift, I can predict the future for Bison ware! LOL

You are mixing two different posts to two different posters.
I told MTIOTF that opinions are neither right or wrong.
I made fun of BRCB and his connecting Hoosier Pride with a successful football season.
Two entirely different posts about entirely different subjects.

I will ask you another question.
Let's say tomorrow it is announced that they are bringing back the bison.
Do you trust the IU administration to implement that change?
The same administration that you have called Mayberry, lacking imagination and generally railed against.

I will ask you another question.
Let's say tomorrow it is announced that they are bringing back the bison.
Do you trust the IU administration to implement that change?
The same administration that you have called Mayberry, lacking imagination and generally railed against.
When they hired Cig, they moved from Mayberry to the big city of Raleigh!

Al - he’s coming for you…….

VaCFzouY_400x400.jpg

You will grow to fear the new mascot…..

Ok this is firmly tongue in cheek . Have a big chested girl in a bikini top run out to the middle of the field at the start of the 4th Quarter. The fans could all stand and yell Hoo Hoo Hooters . If we are having a bad game it would at least give us something to look forward to . Also maybe Moore of the students who go out at half might come back for the 2nd half , at least the guys might .

VaCFzouY_400x400.jpg

My avatar says to go more towards a true Bison look and he'll live with the Buffalo misrepresentation... Less fuzz more Bison coat please..., and lose the yogi bear nose...

Stick with the original... Stay far, far away from cartoon like characters ((see pedo-Pete for an abject lesson in what Not to do))...

My avatar says he'll pose for stills as needed...

My avatar says to go more towards a true Bison look and he'll live with the Buffalo misrepresentation... Less fuzz more Bison coat please..., and lose the yogi bear nose...

Stick with the original... Stay far, far away from cartoon like characters ((see pedo-Pete for an abject lesson in what Not to do))...

My avatar says he'll pose for stills as needed...
I’m good with that too…and keep with the nose ring. That will appeal to the younger fans.

VaCFzouY_400x400.jpg

The Fightin' Hoosier Bison! You want your ass kicked by just one? Or the whole herd?

Beats a drunk leprechaun and the worst combo drink ever! (Who the hell wastes a good shot and ruins a good beer by mixing them together? Jeebus.)

I’m good with that too…and keep with the nose ring. That will appeal to the younger fans.

Hate to disagree with you but no self respecting Bison/ Buffalo would ever be caught dead with a nose ring... Only domestic make cattle allow that sort of thing to be done to them... Per my avatar... He says he appreciates your support but if it has a ring it's a lowly bovine not a Bison...

The younger fans will learn to love the real deal without any phony bling... (falls under the "Stay away from cartoon characters" rule).😎

Last edited:
Ok this is firmly tongue in cheek . Have a big chested girl in a bikini top run out to the middle of the field at the start of the 4th Quarter. The fans could all stand and yell Hoo Hoo Hooters . If we are having a bad game it would at least give us something to look forward to . Also maybe Moore of the students who go out at half might come back for the 2nd half , at least the guys might .

I hope you're not thinking of something like this.... though it would be intimidating to some opponents

smash GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT