ADVERTISEMENT

A Bison Sideline Mascot

A mascot is way too creative for IU.
The university prefers bland and nondescript.
They need to drop the candy stripes for the bball program as well. Many students are upset that they get ridiculed by opposing fans for them being “clown pants.”
They have no ties to the Hoosier moniker. It’s a made-up tradition.
This state has enough traditions already. Up north, off I-65, there is a neighborhood pedophile named Pete who carries a sledgehammer and scare kids. Not to mention a tradition started there in 1997 when they plagerized the Wyoming chant of “Cowboy Up” to the truly original “Boiler Up.”
A little further north, there lives a mythical figure, 6’2” Leprechan near South Bend named Todd that appears at games. He’s the largest Leprechaun in the history of Leprechauns.
Some have lobbied to have a Hoosier mascot that simply wears a reversible jacket and carries around a basketball.

They need to drop the candy stripes for the bball program as well. Many students are upset that they get ridiculed by opposing fans for them being “clown pants.”
This state has enough traditions already. Up north, off I-65, there is a neighborhood pedophile named Pete who carries a sledgehammer and scare kids. Not to mention a tradition started there in 1997 when they plagerized the Wyoming chant of “Cowboy Up” to the truly original “Boiler Up.”
A little further north, there lives a mythical figure, 6’2” Leprechan near South Bend named Todd that appears at games. He’s the largest Leprechaun in the history of Leprechauns.
Some have lobbied to have a Hoosier mascot that simply wears a reversible jacket and carries around a basketball.
If many students are upset about being ridiculed by opposing fans for “clown pants”, maybe it’s time for them to put on their “big boy pants.” Otherwise, hot chocolate and a plate of cookies offered in a designated “Safe Place” will start to heal the open wounds from their perceived bullying.

I suggest we adopt “Hoosier Up” just to piss the PUkes off.

Did you even read the article?

Since you obviously didn't or your reading comprehension is lacking, I will give the basic premise.
A mascot HAS been tried, multiple times and many times with the university on board.
The one constant is that it has always failed miserably!

Then, ironically, you want to eliminate the one tradition that IU does have in the candy striped pants.
It may have been initially made up but it has lasted what - 40+ years?
I think that is the very definition of a tradition.

But you want the bison, even though your name uses buffalo, as the mascot.
JUST because it is on the state seal. Which I bet most Hoosiers don't even know that fact.
And a wild bison has not even graced this state in well over a HUNDRED years.

Good choice!
Good luck to the announcers explaining to the viewing audience how and why IU has a bison as a mascot.

The explanation would go something like this...

Don: "And the bison, of course, is symbolic due to the large number that roamed this state at its founding. So much so that it's on the state's seal, forever memorialized."

Rhett: "The bison was the mascot during IU's lone Rose Bowl appearance. Great to see the bison back."

Don: "It sure is. Today's game is brought to you, in part, by Indiana Credit Union. We started a credit union and created a community "

Not that difficult.

Good luck to the announcers explaining to the viewing audience how and why IU has a bison as a mascot

Did you even read the article?

Since you obviously didn't or your reading comprehension is lacking, I will give the basic premise.
A mascot HAS been tried, multiple times and many times with the university on board.
The one constant is that it has always failed miserably!

Then, ironically, you want to eliminate the one tradition that IU does have in the candy striped pants.
It may have been initially made up but it has lasted what - 40+ years?
I think that is the very definition of a tradition.

But you want the bison, even though your name uses buffalo, as the mascot.
JUST because it is on the state seal. Which I bet most Hoosiers don't even know that fact.

Good choice!
Good luck to the announcers explaining to the viewing audience how and why IU has a bison as a mascot.
I knew I would get your blood pressure up on the candy stripes. I threw that bait out there to see who would take it.
I was trying to prove a point
Step back and take a deep breath.
You kind of just contradicted yourself in the same thread.

Candy stripes have zero association with the state, our moniker or the university.
Yet, at some point, someone thought it was a great look and over time, it bacame tradition.
My point: traditions are made. They don’t need to be organic either.
In the same stream of consciousness, you defend a tradition that was totally made up and then pivot and claim that you cannot bring on a bison mascot because it has (in your mind) no connection.
Can you explain why the one of the biggest traditions at an Auburn football game involves an eagle, a war eagle at that, and not a tiger?

I knew I would get your blood pressure up on the candy stripes. I threw that bait out there to see who would take it.
I was trying to prove a point
Step back and take a deep breath.
You kind of just contradicted yourself in the same thread.

Candy stripes have zero association with the state, our moniker or the university.
Yet, at some point, someone thought it was a great look and over time, it bacame tradition.
My point: traditions are made. They don’t need to be organic either.
In the same stream of consciousness, you defend a tradition that was totally made up and then pivot and claim that you cannot bring on a bison mascot because it has (in your mind) no connection.
Can you explain why the one of the biggest traditions at an Auburn football game involves an eagle, a war eagle at that, and not a tiger?

My blood pressure never jumped at all.
The bison has no connection to IU unless you want to go with the stream of consciousness of

Indiana (the state) lost it's last bison in 1830.
Classes started at State Seminary in 1825.
State Seminary goes to Indiana College and then to Indiana University in 1828.
The bison is on the state seal.
Bison and IU overlap by a whole two years.
So therefore, the only logical choice for a mascot is the bison.

I have no problem with IU having a mascot but the ferver that some have for the idea is puzzling to me. And it would seem that I am not alone when the idea of a mascot has been tried many times and failed miserably.
Just please have the mascot not be embarrassing like hayseed Johnny or whatever that was called.

Lets face it, it wasn't too long ago that IU was considered the easiest win on every schools schedule.... They were so bad that IU could have used a Cupcake as a mascot and anyone who followed college football would have known what school you were talking about when mentioned, the Cupcakes.... I imagined one person dressed in Cream icing and another one with Crimson icing....

But now, I'm glad to think that won't be coming to reality under CCC....

lisa kudrow cupcake GIF by The Comeback HBO

So, the student Senate officially voted to adopt the bison, for all of the same reasons everyone always cites the bison, and it was dropped because a couple of wimpy cheerleaders didn’t like the costume. We could have gotten a new costume, but no, we just dumped the mascot.

Bring back the bison. We voted it in. Anything other than a bison will be a threat to democracy!

Or maybe we should just use a one-eared hick.

So, the student Senate officially voted to adopt the bison, for all of the same reasons everyone always cites the bison, and it was dropped because a couple of wimpy cheerleaders didn’t like the costume. We could have gotten a new costume, but no, we just dumped the mascot.

Bring back the bison. We voted it in. Anything other than a bison will be a threat to democracy!

Or maybe we should just use a one-eared hick.
One of the bison costumes was actually designed with the help of Disney….before there was even DisneyWorld and all of the animatronics.

I believe in today’s world, something hi tech could be done to make a bison mascot look better than the creepy pedophile in West Lafayette.
Embrace change. If we can get used to kids fresh out of high school being paid more in a season than most working people earn in years or a lifetime in America…..we can probably live with a mascot.

Last edited:
Embrace change. If we can get used to kids fresh out of high school being paid more in a season than most working people earn in years or a lifetime in America…..we can probably live with a mascot.

Sure, I can live with a mascot but my question is why can't you live without one?

We are not unique because there are other schools without one so don't bring out that tired argument.
As stated in the article, it has been tried before and failed miserably so WHY try it again.

Sure, I can live with a mascot but my question is why can't you live without one?

We are not unique because there are other schools without one so don't bring out that tired argument.
As stated in the article, it has been tried before and failed miserably so WHY try it again.
I’m tired of the debate and at the point I don’t think we need a mascot. If it hasn’t happened by now after numerous failed attempts over the past 100 years, why burn mental energy wishing for something now? That said, I continue to feel the burn and here’s why…

I would have been okay with a real bison, one that actually snorts with nasal condensation visible on a cold day in late November. One potential problem I foresee to be the buckets of fresh urine steaming up on the Astroturf, only to be out done by paired “field apples” the size of ripe Decker melons. How would this fare with today’s social media? Could Hoosier Nation survive the global humiliation? A customized diaper in candy-stripes might raise a few eyebrows, viral in distribution.

The cartoonish Haystack Seed character with the Clutch Cargo chin was too…too Purdue Pete’ish. It doesn’t help that his cleft chin resembles my scrotal sac in its neglected state of flaccidity. It’s not a good look for the untrained eyes of vestal virgins.

One of the bison costumes was actually designed with the help of Disney….before there was even DisneyWorld and all of the animatronics.

I believe in today’s world, something hi tech could be done to make a bison mascot look better than the creepy pedophile in West Lafayette.
I’d take a dude in candy-stripe pants, with a block I sweater, and an air conditioned bison head, but the bison fits Indiana. There are “buffalo traces” in the state - even parks preserving them ala The Oregon Trail.

Us using a bison is similar to ISU using the sycamore, or the song using the Wabash and new mown hay.

Historical ties are still ties.

I’d take a dude in candy-stripe pants, with a block I sweater, and an air conditioned bison head, but the bison fits Indiana. There are “buffalo traces” in the state - even parks preserving them ala The Oregon Trail.

Us using a bison is similar to ISU using the sycamore, or the song using the Wabash and new mown hay.

One would think in this modern age, as we currently know of it, lightweight materials with concealed air vents could be constructed into a reasonable facsimile mimicking a confident buffalo, both features to the satisfaction of would be wearers.

Purdue’s locomotive/boilermaker theme is about as outdated as they can come, yet they still go full steam ahead with all onboard about it. “Next stop, Willoughby!”

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

Hoosier National Forest

Buffalo Trace (they weren't aware of the proper Bison designation in the 1820's)

One would think in this modern age, as we currently know of it, lightweight materials with concealed air vents could be constructed into a reasonable facsimile mimicking a confident buffalo, both features to the satisfaction of would be wearers.

Purdue’s locomotive/boilermaker theme is about as outdated as they can come, yet they still go full steam ahead with all onboard about it. “Next stop, Willoughby!”
A pre-game video (which does NOT involve 20 seconds of dead air) of the Fightin' Hoosier Bison lowering its head and tossing the Boilie Train off a bridge would be nice.

200.gif

I liked the video of buffalo running through B-town to the “Who” song on the big screen . It showed them running into the stadium , and then the team would bust out the doors in the north end zone carrying the American Flag . I thought it was a great way to bring the team out. They quit doing it however , but if we did have a buffalo mascot we could have him lead the team out carrying the flag at the end of the video . If we did get a mascot , it couldn’t be any worse than the Penn State Lion .

...key word, buffalo...bison be damned...

• Wow
I believe I know the source of this confusion in nomenclature. My aging generation grew up watching cowboy and Indian movies Saturday mornings on black and white TV. Gene Autry used to sing the song, “Home On The Range”. I’ve been told I can’t carry a tune, but here goes anyway…”Oh, give me a home, where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word and the sky is not cloudy all day…”

I believe I know the source of this confusion in nomenclature. My aging generation grew up watching cowboy and Indian movies Saturday mornings on black and white TV. Gene Autry used to sing the song, “Home On The Range”. I’ve been told I can’t carry a tune, but here goes anyway…”Oh, give me a home, where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the antelope play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word and the sky is not cloudy all day…”
...somewhat but it is Buffalo Bill Cody, William F. Also not the Bison Bills playing in the NFL and to put finality to it buffalo robes kept the plains Indians warm in the winter. If you would indeed PC the description of a new mascot, it will fail.

...somewhat but it is Buffalo Bill Cody, William F. Also not the Bison Bills playing in the NFL and to put finality to it buffalo robes kept the plains Indians warm in the winter. If you would indeed PC the description of a new mascot, it will fail.
And along that same vein, Bloomington has a great restaurant for chicken wings...BuffaLouies, not BisoNouies.

• Love
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

My avatar is shocked, shocked, that you would damn his entire genus species subspecies...!

However..., he says all will be forgiven if you'll do your utmost to get a Bison, er, Buffalo mascot out there on the field... He and the rest of the Bison will make the embarrassing sacrifice and let you call them Buffalo for the good of the team..

If the Bison got loose in the stadium the Hoosiers at least would make Sports Center. Kind of like the cheerleader getting in the “One Moment in Time” closing video at the end of the basketball championship. Baby steps

Reactions: red hornet
This has never seemed like a compelling point to me.

Lincoln left Indiana in 1830, but we still claim him.

Most of the remaining Indian tribes in Indiana were forcibly removed in the 1820's and 1830's, but the name did not change.

Interesting that you never answered my question.
Hmmm.

We haven't had a Big Ten Championship Football Team in 60+ years... Should we just throw up our hands and forget about fielding a Team or perhaps give it another try?

Just because someone else failed miserably in the past doesn't mean another guy shouldn't take a 2nd, 3rd, 15th, or 120th shot at it with a better idea, a better plan, and better execution... Its the American Way..., and its The INDIANA way . If they had taken the approach thats been suggested on here the Wright Brothers never would have flown...!

In my opinion, Indiana history doesn't have to have happened within the past 20 years to be referenced and applied... It's often not even considered history by many if it didn't happen at least 40 or 50 years ago...

Imagine it, plan your work and work your plan, and Execute it, as perfectly as possible, and hope others are entertained and appreciate the effort...

Last edited:
This has never seemed like a compelling point to me.

Lincoln left Indiana in 1830, but we still claim him.

Most of the remaining Indian tribes in Indiana were forcibly removed in the 1820's and 1830's, but the name did not change.

The point is that no one and I mean NO ONE outside of Indiana and a vast majority inside Indiana associates Indiana with bison.

And by the way, I don't associate Lincoln with Indiana either as I do the state to our west.

We haven't had a Big Ten Championship Football Team in 60+ years... Should we just throw up our hands and forget about fielding a Team or perhaps give it another try?

Just because someone else failed miserably in the past doesn't mean another guy shouldn't take a 2nd, 3rd, 15th, or 120th shot at it with a better idea, a better plan, and better execution... Its the American Way..., and its The INDIANA way . If they had taken the approach thats been suggested on here the Wright Brothers never would have flown...!

In my opinion, Indiana history doesn't have to have happened within the past 20 years to be referenced and applied... It's often not even considered history by many if it didn't happen at least 40 or 50 years ago...

Imagine it, plan your work and work your plan, and Execute it, as perfectly as possible, and hope others are entertained and appreciate the effort...

Ok, but your answer had nothing to do with the question I ask BRCB.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

History is the PAST, whether that be 3 nano-seconds or 13.7 billion years having passed NOW. Likewise is the FUTURE, similarly to PAST having yet passed NOW, as we experience it’s presence/presents.

No one is suggesting we use an inflated caricature of Abraham Lincoln as a beloved mascot, not even the good folks in Illinois. Abe was considered a homely man in appearance during his day so they emphasized his personality, his honesty trait, for the future historians instead.

Can any of you history buffs tell me what Abraham Lincoln’s middle name was? (Insert long pause).
I didn’t think so, so therefore I is not. “As a man thinketh, therefore he is.” ~ James Allen, 1903

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT