ADVERTISEMENT

538 - Where Should the Big Ten Expand Next? We Crunched The Numbers.

Whoop. Not that this Forum needs more fuel for rampant conjecture...
They didn’t put enough emphasis on the market. The big ten didn’t go after Rutgers because of its media popularity. It put the B1G network on basic cable. If Ok. St is so popular then everyone would be after them. ND is the only team that is already a real nationwide brand. They cross a different subset. Rutgers was a smart move.

The obvious oversight on behalf of this article is my recommendation the B10 goes and gets Kentucky to join.
1. Their football program would win a bit more.
2. Their bball program would get a more challenging schedule every year.
3. THEY'D HAVE TO PLAY HOME AND HOME WITH INDIANA

The obvious oversight on behalf of this article is my recommendation the B10 goes and gets Kentucky to join.
7g1GjTI.gif

Reactions: steelyvan
Are there any overseas schools we could look to add? At what point are you a conference anymore. I find it funny if we are supposedly concerned about carbon emissions and having schools flying all over to play games?

Their academic rigor fits with the SEC better

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I just heard the big ten and the SEC called the super two. No other conferences are even close to equal.
Would a BT team join the SEC? Vice versa?
The big football name is ND.
Which conference adds a Canadian school first?

I just heard the big ten and the SEC called the super two. No other conferences are even close to equal.
Can’t wait for a road trip to the U of Vancouver!!

Reactions: Jssanto
Culture wise not one B1G school will leave the money. The consortium is bigger than athletics. That’s why you won’t see a Michigan or Ohio state leave.

Whoop. Not that this Forum needs more fuel for rampant conjecture...
I think these conferences should slow their roll. I don’t want a fractured college product. Conferences provide some solid logistical benefits and maybe cultural. If those go away, why even have conferences. Just lump the whole damn thing together or we will wind up with a huge mess.

Just from a market perspective, which is what the Big Ten cares about, Georgia Tech has to be high on the list. If they join, that is six million more subscriptions to the Big Ten Network. Plus, travel is not an issue.
NC is another one. Both markets add up to a top ten number. GT is definitely a fit. The B1G will be ultra selective if I’m a betting man. They will be research and market driven. People focus to much on actual views more than subscriptions.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
NC is another one. Both markets add up to a top ten number. GT is definitely a fit. The B1G will be ultra selective if I’m a betting man. They will be research and market driven. People focus to much on actual views more than subscriptions.
NC would be a great footprint to have in addition to ATL. It's in the top 10 of state population and growing. The question would be who do you get to come aboard and when? The ACC and that pesky 2035 rights grant is a real bummer.

NC would be a great footprint to have in addition to ATL. It's in the top 10 of state population and growing. The question would be who do you get to come aboard and when? The ACC and that pesky 2035 rights grant is a real bummer.
Dumbest agreement on the planet. It’s amazing they got that many to vote yes on that.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I think these conferences should slow their roll. I don’t want a fractured college product. Conferences provide some solid logistical benefits and maybe cultural. If those go away, why even have conferences. Just lump the whole damn thing together or we will wind up with a huge mess.
Sort of already fractured.
Conference re alignment based only on money. Out of control NIL.

Good article. Obviously the calculus going forward will be...do the teams they'd add, add enough of a market/revenue to make up for the dilution of each current teams share?? And then if not, strategically, does adding those specific teams elevate the conference in other ways and/or effectively "block" the SEC from building their footprint more?

At this point, Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Florida State, Miami, UNC, Oklahoma State, and then a Texas school, maybe Baylor... would make the most sense.

At that point, I'd make 4, 6 team PODS...8 game conference regular season. 3 OOC games. Pod teams play each other every year, each POD team has a locked in crossover game, and then 2 variable crossover games. 4 home, 4 away. At the end of the 8 game conference season, they have a seeded matchup week. 1s vs 1s, 2s vs 2s, etc... The winners of the 1s, play each other in the BIG championship...those 2 teams would be the only ones to get 13 games...same as today.

Examples of Pods

West - USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Oklahoma State, Baylor
Midwest - Michigan, MSU, Minny, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska
Great Lakes - Ohio State, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue
East - Rutgers, Penn State, Maryland, UNC, Florida State, Miami

Examples of locked crossovers...

USC v ND
OSU v Mich
PSU v MSU
Neb v OK St

A sample IU schedule

Week 1 at Illinois
Week 2 Idaho
Week 3 Western Kentucky
Week 4 at Cincinnati
Week 5 at OSU
Week 6 Northwestern
Week 7 UCLA
Week 8 at Iowa
Week 9 Notre Dame
Week 10 at Rutgers
Week 11 Purdue

Vs. Midwest 4 seed Minnesota (just a wild guess that we'd finish 4th in the Great Lakes)

Just some speculative thoughts.

Potential 1 seed matchups
USC vs Michigan
OSU vs Florida State
Notre Dame vs Michigan
Penn State vs. Oregon

The possibilities of this could be pretty cool.

***edited again...All of this is being driven by football, so the above is a football layout. Basketball could look similar with each Pod team playing each other twice, and then 8 more games against the rest of the league. With a locked pod crossover game as well. The 4 Pod winners would each host a "Sectional". 1 seeds and 2 seeds get buys...3/6 play each other, winner plays 2 seed. 4/5 play each other, winner, plays 1 seed. Champs all play in a "Big Final Four" always played in Indy.

Again...the possibilities could be pretty awesome. Think about IU winning their Pod, then hosting a sectional maybe with teams like Oregon, Michigan State, Maryland, Oklahoma State, and Notre Dame... Just an example, but those sectionals could be pretty awesome.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT