ADVERTISEMENT

5 favorite IU player since you have been a fan

My understanding is Bird went to IU believing he would not have to go to class and he would get his grades given to him. He lived in McNutt the short time he was at IU and nobody seemed to like him.

What he accused Kent Benson of was nonsense! I know Kent well and he merely was pranking him. In my opinion, Bird used that for an excuse when he left IU.
Bullshit

Reactions: Spartans9312
Bird baby sat the couple's child while they went to classes at Indiana State. He would do it for about eight hours a day. When would he have gone to class?
I have no idea. He was an athlete, so they have tutors, remote classes, etc... I worked full time through much of my college and sometimes a second job, and I made that work. Seems like a big star who doesn't want to go to class, would be the last person who would then take a babysitting job, right? But you say he did and you believe it. That seems less believable to me for a big time college athlete. When did he go to practice, lift weights, etc... and what about travel for games? Tutors and instructors help athletes work around that, what did your friends do then? And, you don't need to answer, my point is, they made that work, so somehow he made classes work too. And, I'm not saying he wasn't given preferential treatment, I'm saying I don't think you know truly what his coursework was.

Last edited:
I have no idea. He was an athlete, so they have tutors, remote classes, etc... I worked full time through much of my college and sometimes a second job, and I made that work. Seems like a big star who doesn't want to go to class, would be the last person who would then take a babysitting job, right? But you say he did and you believe it. That seems less believable to me for a big time college athlete. When did he go to practice, lift weights, etc... and what about travel for games? Tutors and instructors help athletes work around that, what did your friends do then? And, you don't need to answer, my point is, they made that work, so somehow he made classes work too. And, I'm not saying he wasn't give preferential treatment, I'm saying I don't think you know truly what his coursework was.
so, Larry bird was a nanny in 1979 working 8-hour shifts, while he led Indiana state to a 33-0 record before losing in the national championship game. yeah, that seems reasonable

Reactions: kkott
not the 5 best but who you enjoyed watching play

1. Alford, undersized non-athlete who dominated games, led us to last championship, IU type player if there ever was one

2 Edwards, just something about his game was fun to watch, only really got to see about a season and a half of him, great scorer, what could have been

3.Olipado, came out of nowhere, never knew when he was going to break free and dunk on someone

4 Calbert, just fantastic overall game, shame never got a title during his time here, had the teams to do it

5. Coverdale, definitely not a top 50 talent at IU, but had a very underrated career at IU,
Calbert- great player,amicable,represented IU well. AJ Guyton -ditto. Thomas Bryant-always keyed up to play. Ray Tolbert- tough player and great representative of IU. Oladipo- strived to be a great player on D and worked hard at O.

Zeek
Bailey
Alford
Cal/Woody (tied)
Quinn/Wilkerson/May. Tied.

Last edited:
1- Scott May
2- Randy Wittman
3- Isiah Thomas
4- Cody Zeller
5- Jim Thomas (personal memory here his dunking over the twin towers in 1983)
The lists on here confirm what I learned in the Water Cooler- most on this board are much younger than me!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

1. Alford, undersized non-athlete who dominated games, led us to last championship, IU type player if there ever was one

2 Edwards, just something about his game was fun to watch, only really got to see about a season and a half of him, great scorer, what could have been

3.Olipado, came out of nowhere, never knew when he was going to break free and dunk on someone

4 Calbert, just fantastic overall game, shame never got a title during his time here, had the teams to do it

5. Coverdale, definitely not a top 50 talent at IU, but had a very underrated career at IU,
I just caught the tail end of Alford's career - which was awesome - but I will exclude him since I did not get to see most of his games.

1) Calbert - He was just so quiet and confident. An absolute assassin from his first game onward. Consistent. A joy to watch. The athleticism the skill. The whole package. The NBA would have been begging him to come out after his freshman year if he played CBB today. He was incredible.

2) Guyton - An absolute joyful surprise. Pretty unheralded guy coming in to freshman year. Another guy that the league would have been salivating for after one year. He was held back by his position because system and personnel dictated he play more SG or combo. He was as a frosh, and should have been, more of a PG to develop his future. A total stud and so fun to watch.

3) Coverdale - He came out of nowhere and had so much spunk and fire. He was great to watch and just gave max effort out there. Truly played to his potential and had that moxy you cannot teach.

4) DJ White - This kid went through so much at IU. So much turmoil and change. He was a class act and developed into a great CBB player. He won B10 POY - I think. He was a tweener for the the NBA with not enough athleticism or size to play on the block and not enough shooting and quickness to play mid range or outside. He was dynamite in college. And mainly I just respected the hell out of him for sticking it out. A humble guy. Love DJ.

5) Juwon Morgan - Great guy. Developed his game so much at IU. He played on some weak teams, but he went through a lot and stuck it out 4 years and really came out a great player and person. I will always be a big Juwon fan.

Honorable Mentions (in rough order)
1) Brian Evans - great shot maker, toughness
2) Kirk Haston - wish he would have stayed one more year, good move for him though, great development
3) Jeff Newton - something about Newt, the quiet swagger, the long lean athlete, pass the dutchie Newt
4) Victor - probably should be higher, great player, development off the charts
5) Jay Edwards - oh man, what might have been, smooth, incredible potential - 2 years and gone, although he does not fit my list profile, Jay was the guy I wanted to be on the court in his era, that spin move against Purdue? Those last second shots?

Reactions: kkott
The original request to pick 5, along with all of the posts above, provide all the evidence needed to understand why IU basketball is special. Like so many others I can't narrow a list of favorites to 5 because I can't choose a selection process in terms of "favorite player". Should I choose players based on individual skills and accomplishments? Should I choose players who were the best team players and helped win team championships? IU has such a rich history of players with talent, personality, and unique individual aspects; it is too difficult to narrow the list. I think any elite college basketball fanbase (even if the program has dropped off from the past) would have an equally difficult time choosing 5 favorite players. It is the nature of highly successful programs with avid fans who have followed the program for years. I'll list 5 with the caveat any of the 5 could be swapped with any players named in the posts above and I'd be fine with it.

Landon Turner (Oh what he might have been in the NBA), Calbert, Olidipo, Isiah, and Alford.

39.. Started 1990-1991 season. Bailey's freshman year.

1- Damon Bailey
2- AJ Guyton
3- Calbert Cheaney
4- Brian Evans
5- Alan Henderson

39.. Started 1990-1991 season. Bailey's freshman year.

1- Damon Bailey
2- AJ Guyton
3- Calbert Cheaney
4- Brian Evans
5- Alan Henderson
Damon was better to watch in high school Imo, than he was at IU, had a very good career, but could never live up to the ridiculous hype surrounding him

Damon was better to watch in high school Imo, than he was at IU, had a very good career, but could never live up to the ridiculous hype surrounding him
It was impossible to live up to the hype surrounding Damon. Having said that, he still had a helluva college career. One might say his college career was underrated. I'll never forget what RMK said on Damon's senior day. "It's incredible how many days this kid spent in first place in the BIG."

the worst two things about Cody. He assured Crean would keep is job, and he brought you to this board.... IU would have been much better off if neither happened.

Had a nice thread going and of course, you had to be you, a DICK, and take a personal shot at someone.

Can you ever turn off your DICK switch and be normal?

Last edited:

Guyton, there is no substitute

Of course he couldn't live up to the hype, not too many could have, but he was a helluva player at IU, even with the bad knees. He had several of the best games against great competition, like Duke and Kansas, that I've ever watched an IU player have.

My understanding is Bird went to IU believing he would not have to go to class and he would get his grades given to him. He lived in McNutt the short time he was at IU and nobody seemed to like him.

What he accused Kent Benson of was nonsense! I know Kent well and he merely was pranking him. In my opinion, Bird used that for an excuse when he left IU.

My wife knows people who were students at Indiana State when Bird played basketball there. They said Bird didn't go to class and had his grades given to him.

Do you remember what Bird did when he was on the Indiana All-Star team the summer after his senior year of high school? He cussed out the all-star coach and refused to go into the game when the coach tried to put him in the game. It was late in the game and Bird was upset that he didn't get in sooner.
The all star coach was Kirby Overman from New Albany, who inexplicably sat Bird the entire game, finally deciding to put Bird in with less than 2 minutes to go in the game. Bird refused, as all players had played both halves, except for him. Several hundred Springs Valley fans were at the game. What an insult to a HS kid. I don't blame Bird at all for refusing to enter the game.

This is a list of my favorite, not who I think was the best

1 - Calbert (that smooth, silky left handed jumper... how can you not love that)

2 - Damon Bailey (I use to play in the driveway and act like I was him shooting threes while being on Sportscenter. I modeled my game after his growing up.

3 - Jeff Newton (Loved his game, was such a warrior... remember hearing a story I believe it was the final four against Oklahoma where he was on the bench for a time and he just got up and checked himself in the game because he thought he had sat for to long and he knew for us to win, he needed to be on the floor. I have no idea if that's true or not but I like to think it is.

4 - Jared Jeffries (Dude was so smooth and made the game look so effortless.... along with Newt, without a doubt, one of my favorite big man combos we've ever had. He could do it all.

5 - Verdell Jones (This one us going to rub people wrong but hear me out.... he chose to come here when we were getting the Tijan Jobes. He stuck it out and didn't transfer when it got hard like Malik Story or Nick Williams. Everyone remembers the Wat-shot, but who had the assist to Watford? Verdell did. Sure he was frustrating at times, but through the hard times, he had his good times as well. I'll always be thankfull he chose to be a Hoosier.

Honorable Mention goes to :
Matt Roth
AJ Moye
Kirk Haston
Jordy Hulls
Brian Evans
George Leach

Scott May
Calbert
Isiah Thomas
Alford
Kent Benson

Never saw McGinnis play at IU, otherwise he’d be on this list.

Calbert Cheaney
Damon Bailey
Greg Graham
Alan Henderson
Pat Graham (56.9% 3 point shooting in ’94. Money. Thought every single one of his shots was going in)

What can I say. I am a product of my times. 91-94 were my years at IU

Honorable Mention:

Many of the better players of recent years have been mentioned. Here are some others:

Andrae Patterson. (I know he is hated on here. But I liked him LOL)
OG Anunoby
TJD (surprised he is not on this list more. One of the most dominant players in memory)

Last edited:
Interesting that I’ve read thru this thread and don’t see Kent Benson’s name once. Burnt bridges…

for me it was Kitch, edwards, calbert, Tolbert and Eric Anderson.
And only one mention of TJD

Buckner, Isaiah, Alford, Cheaney, TJD….cuz he stayed in an era where they don’t anymore

Did anybody on this board watch Don Schlundt play? He was putting up high 30's, low 40's games in an era in which scoring 15 meant you were shooter. What was Leonard's average? I am too young to have watched him.

John Laskowski- A fellow South Bender who was a local legend. Feel more bad for him missing out in ’75 than anyone else.

Isiah Thomas- A generational talent who delivered the goods.

Bobby Wilkerson- Loved his all-around game. Would have been 1st team all-conf. on most other teams.

Pat Graham/Todd Leary- I’ve always thought of them together. I was always surprised when either missed an open shot. Put either one of them on last season’s team and they probably win it all.

Trayce Jackson Davis- Stayed all four years through a coaching change and significant roster upheaval and became a better player for it. Appreciate his loyalty in this era of mercenary/nomad college basketball players.

1). Alford
2. Calbert
3. Michael Lewis
4. Guyton
5. Cody / TJD tied

McGinnis, Tolbert, Wilkerson ,Alford, Thomas. but frankly too many to choose from.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT