ADVERTISEMENT

5 favorite IU player since you have been a fan

Don't get thinking it's great that he was a d!ck, because he could be. Why do you think that's so great (and you're far from alone!)? I much prefer, and have way more respect, for people, especially of some prominence, who treat others kindly when they don't have to, unless the person in question has proven not to have earned it. If he thought a writer was biased or unfair repeatedly, I get that, but to walk into a room of writers with a chip on your shoulder and the intent to insult them for doing their job is just being a douche and was beneath him.
The man was a genius. And geniuses often behave differently than what we expect from the rest of us.

Reactions: mohoosier and ulrey
Not in order....

Bailey
Reed
Guyton
Anderson
Reynolds.

Just off top of me head. Of course I loved Calbert, Alford, Henderson, Greg Graham, etc...

Special love for guys like Jadlow, Meier, E,yl....Guys who didn't get the pub, but were very critical to the team.

not the 5 best but who you enjoyed watching play

1. Alford, undersized non-athlete who dominated games, led us to last championship, IU type player if there ever was one

2 Edwards, just something about his game was fun to watch, only really got to see about a season and a half of him, great scorer, what could have been

3.Olipado, came out of nowhere, never knew when he was going to break free and dunk on someone

4 Calbert, just fantastic overall game, shame never got a title during his time here, had the teams to do it

5. Coverdale, definitely not a top 50 talent at IU, but had a very underrated career at IU,
McGinnis, Cheaney,Tolbert, Bailey, and Alford.

I was at the new fieldhouse to personally watch Big George--WOW!
Others I watched on TV. (# 5B would have to be Isiah )
I forgot to add that my h.s. ( Anderson Madison Heights) produced Ray Tolbert, in addition to Bobby Wilkerson, Winston Morgan, and Stew Robinson

Reactions: kkott
I was at the new fieldhouse to personally watch Big George--WOW!
Others I watched on TV. (# 5B would have to be Isiah )
I remember being in the Fieldhouse when he embarrassed Jim Brewer (a real star) of Minnesota.

Brewer was guarding George as George was dribbling LOOKING away from Brewer. Brewer started to reach out to swipe the ball and George suddenly slightly turned and was dribbling just out of Brewer's reach. Brewer recovered and reached out again. Once again, George, still seemingly unaware of Brewer, once again turned sightly and sped up his dribble just enough to be out of Brewer's reach. And he did it a 3d time. By now Brewer had run 360 degrees in a circle, George dribbled away, and the Fieldhouse was roaring.

Reactions: Falky22
The man was a genius. And geniuses often behave differently than what we expect from the rest of us.
Ha ha ha. Enable much? The man was a basketball coach, not Einstein, Oppenheimer or Elon Musk. Plenty of great "elite" level coaches who treat people well (Roy, Dean, etc...). Asking a coach to be cordial to people should be part of the job description. Woody is great that way. No big deal.

PS, and, RMK wasn't nearly as caustic early in his career as late, and could be charming whenever he chose to, so we know he had it in him. His Letterman appearance was a good example.

Last edited:
Man, how did I forgot Daryl Thomas? At least on my honorable mention list!
will always have a soft spot for DT. After reading SOTB and knowing how hard it was for a nice soft spoken kid like him to stick with the RMK style of coaching. He also was a basketball instructor at the Bulls/White Sox Academy in Lisle IL and our oldest was on one of the Sox's 16/17U travel baseball teams (tough pill to swallow as a lifelong Cubs fan) so I ran into him a few times at their complex, and first time I had a minute to relive the 86-87 season with him (which he preferred to do much more so over the 84-85 season). The other couple times he recognized me and would always say hi/wazzup with that big smile of his. This was only within a year of his passing. Nice guy, left this world far too early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT