ADVERTISEMENT

5 favorite IU player since you have been a fan

not the 5 best but who you enjoyed watching play

1. Alford, undersized non-athlete who dominated games, led us to last championship, IU type player if there ever was one

2 Edwards, just something about his game was fun to watch, only really got to see about a season and a half of him, great scorer, what could have been

3.Olipado, came out of nowhere, never knew when he was going to break free and dunk on someone

4 Calbert, just fantastic overall game, shame never got a title during his time here, had the teams to do it

5. Coverdale, definitely not a top 50 talent at IU, but had a very underrated career at IU,
Leonard
McGinnes
Alford
Chaney
Isiah
Bailey

OOps thats 6

1. Alford, undersized non-athlete who dominated games, led us to last championship, IU type player if there ever was one

2 Edwards, just something about his game was fun to watch, only really got to see about a season and a half of him, great scorer, what could have been

3.Olipado, came out of nowhere, never knew when he was going to break free and dunk on someone

4 Calbert, just fantastic overall game, shame never got a title during his time here, had the teams to do it

5. Coverdale, definitely not a top 50 talent at IU, but had a very underrated career at IU,
Damon, Calbert, Evans, Edwards, Guyton

Reactions: ulrey
Alford
Bailey
Calbert
P Graham (met him as a kid & later Loved that every time he shot the ball I was sure it was going in)
G Graham (sooo athletic, improved so much)

Heavily weighted on the early 90’s, great team & I was in school at that time…
Same, graduated in ‘91. We were spoiled!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Earliest memories are from ~1991/92

Cheaney
Henderson
Guyton
DJ White
I know I'll catch flack for this, but: Recker. Had he stuck around, would have been one of the all time greats.

HM: Fife/Hornsby

Obviously so so many could be on this list

Earliest memories are from ~1991/92

Cheaney
Henderson
Guyton
DJ White
I know I'll catch flack for this, but: Recker. Had he stuck around, would have been one of the all time greats.

HM: Fife/Hornsby

Obviously so so many could be on this list
Recker, don't see how he's in anyone's top 5, not named Recker!

Haven't answered, but mine are pretty standard ones I'd think. My memory goes back to '76, but only because of friends who were big IU fans and we watched a couple tournament games together.

Isiah Thomas
Steve Alford
Brian Evans
Calbert Cheaney
DJ White

HM: Buckner, May, Woodson, Tolbert, Kitchel, Henderson, Eyl, Anderson, D Thomas, Edwards, Reynolds, Gordon, Jackson-Davis.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990

Haven't answered, but mine are pretty standard ones I'd think. My memory goes back to '76, but only because of friends who were big IU fans and we watched a couple tournament games together.

Isiah Thomas
Steve Alford
Brian Evans
Calbert Cheaney
DJ White

HM: Buckner, May, Woodson, Tolbert, Kitchel, Henderson, Eyl, Anderson, Edwards, Reynolds, Gordon, Jackson-Davis.
Gotta like it when 6 of your 11 HMs have won a natty.

Isiah Thomas
Steve Alford
Brian Evans
Calbert Cheaney
DJ White

HM: Buckner, May, Woodson, Tolbert, Kitchel, Henderson, Eyl, Anderson, Edwards, Reynolds, Gordon, Jackson-Davis.
Well, my name isn't Recker, and he may or may not have any idea who I am, but I do have some bias. Besides, the poll is "favorite" not "best". I'll admit without my bias he wouldn't be anywhere near my list. I do stand by my statement that he would have been an all-time great had he stayed, though.

Well, my name isn't Recker, and he may or may not have any idea who I am, but I do have some bias. Besides, the poll is "favorite" not "best". I'll admit without my bias he wouldn't be anywhere near my list. I do stand by my statement that he would have been an all-time great had he stayed, though.
I get having personal preferences or biases. One of my honorable mentions was Eyl, who was never seen as a key contributor but was a great glue guy. Beyond that, he was there when I was, and I had a buddy who knew him and always said what a nice guy he was, so he was on my list. But, I think most IU fans were disappointed, not just in Recker leaving, but how he left, and that he then ended up at Iowa playing for Alford. I never had a problem with any of that, but no, he'd not be in my list of top 100 favorite Hoosiers of all time.

But, I think most IU fans were disappointed, not just in Recker leaving, but how he left
Yeah, and I'd be right there with everybody, but knowing a little of the backstory, I'm at least a little sympathetic, and can't say I completely blame him. A few other guys from that era were darn close to walking, too (in addition to the ones that did). I'm sure a lot of it was the cultural softening that babied players (and is even worse now), but as much as I think CRMK is one of if not the greatest teacher of the game all time, he did himself no favors.

Reactions: kkott
Yeah, and I'd be right there with everybody, but knowing a little of the backstory, I'm at least a little sympathetic, and can't say I completely blame him. A few other guys from that era were darn close to walking, too (in addition to the ones that did). I'm sure a lot of it was the cultural softening that babied players (and is even worse now), but as much as I think CRMK is one of if not the greatest teacher of the game all time, he did himself no favors.
He was no diplomat that's for sure and that's one thing I loved about the guy. That's exactly why the press hated him. He wouldn't kiss their ass.

He was no diplomat that's for sure and that's one thing I loved about the guy. That's exactly why the press hated him. He wouldn't kiss their ass.
Maybe they hated him because he treated them like crap? Hard to know how much he knew everyone in the room, but walking in and talking down to a bunch of guys who are mostly just trying to do their job, is just being a jerk and he seemed to relish that quite often. Woodson I think has a terrific attitude with the press and gives thoughtful responses usually. I know they appreciate that, and he certainly isn't kissing their ass.

Reactions: UncleMark
Maybe they hated him because he treated them like crap? Hard to know how much he knew everyone in the room, but walking in and talking down to a bunch of guys who are mostly just trying to do their job, is just being a jerk and he seemed to relish that quite often. Woodson I think has a terrific attitude with the press and gives thoughtful responses usually. I know they appreciate that, and he certainly isn't kissing their ass.
Who gives a rat's ass what the press appreciates. What was it he used to say? Most of us learn to write in the 2nd grade and then go on to more important things.

Reactions: ulrey
Who gives a rat's ass what the press appreciates. What was it he used to say? Most of us learn to write in the 2nd grade and then go on to more important things.
Hard to understand why he's your hero. Yeah, it's cool to be an ass to a whole group of people just trying to do their job and who report on your team to your fans... who cares about the fans? Wait a minute...

And the writer comment? Yeah, another cute and funny comment until you start to think about it. I mean, who wants great writers? Wait a minute...

he was a great basketball coach. he was also an asshole of a human being at times. helped a lot of people and hurt a lot of people along the way.

Since I live in Southern Indiana, I’ve always been partial to the Southern Indiana guys.
Romeo Langford
Pat Graham
Damon Bailey
Calbert Cheaney
Chuck Franz
Steve Green
I know that’s more than 5 but that’s just to name a few.

These are not "just" based on stats: I also consider their style of play as well as their personality on and off the court. So, in no particular order:
:) Vic
:) OG
:) Yogi
:) Big McGinnis

McGinnis
Ike
TJD
Calbert
Alford.

Zeke
Calbert
Woodson
Radford

And one out of left field.

Rich Valavicious (sp?; he transferred...man he used to get after people on defense)

5 years from now I hope to be able to say...

Liam McNeeley
Boogie Fland
Jakai Newton
Malik Reneau
Derik Queen

Honorable mention: Gabe Cubbs, CJ Gunn, Kaleb Banks

"I'm old enough to remember watching greats like Victor Olidipo and Cody Zeller, and can vaguely remember older greats like Calbert Cheaney and Damon Bailey. But this group brought us our 6th banner, and I waited so long for it, that they'll always be my favorite I think."

5 years from now I hope to be able to say...

Liam McNeeley
Boogie Fland
Jakai Newton
Malik Reneau
Derik Queen

Honorable mention: Gabe Cubbs, CJ Gunn, Kaleb Banks

"I'm old enough to remember watching greats like Victor Olidipo and Cody Zeller, and can vaguely remember older greats like Calbert Cheaney and Damon Bailey. But this group brought us our 6th banner, and I waited so long for it, that they'll always be my favorite I think."
Bravo
Stage Fright Reaction GIF by Italia's Got Talent

Reactions: kkott
he hurt their feelings. boo hoo
Don't get thinking it's great that he was a d!ck, because he could be. Why do you think that's so great (and you're far from alone!)? I much prefer, and have way more respect, for people, especially of some prominence, who treat others kindly when they don't have to, unless the person in question has proven not to have earned it. If he thought a writer was biased or unfair repeatedly, I get that, but to walk into a room of writers with a chip on your shoulder and the intent to insult them for doing their job is just being a douche and was beneath him.

Reactions: asindc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT