ADVERTISEMENT

3 Pros on the Roster

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
On the basketball page, New coach Hunter makes the most reasonable but not groundbreaking comment that it takes about "3 Pros" to win a championship.

I think a simple translation is : "we need talent to win". Nothing groundbreaking there. There may be two differentiating factors from past recent years though:

1). An outspoken strategy to make NBA potential part of the draw and developmental model for recruiting
2). The somewhat laughable contrast from Crean's rosters, where "3 Pros" wasn't even enough to beat a zone, let alone an NCAA championship.

I still would argue that there are more teams with NBA talent who do not win championships than who do, but with Hunter only recently coming to Bloomington, I give him a pass for now. What else does he have but to forecast and guess?

Reactions: 82hoosier
On the basketball page, New coach Hunter makes the most reasonable but not groundbreaking comment that it takes about "3 Pros" to win a championship.

I think a simple translation is : "we need talent to win". Nothing groundbreaking there. There may be two differentiating factors from past recent years though:

1). An outspoken strategy to make NBA potential part of the draw and developmental model for recruiting
2). The somewhat laughable contrast from Crean's rosters, where "3 Pros" wasn't even enough to beat a zone, let alone an NCAA championship.

I still would argue that there are more teams with NBA talent who do not win championships than who do, but with Hunter only recently coming to Bloomington, I give him a pass for now. What else does he have but to forecast and guess?

Adding to my post, some of you will probably wish to argue whether this year's roster has 3 Pros on it.

Adding to my post, some of you will probably wish to argue whether this year's roster has 3 Pros on it.
Probably only one right now. Lander could be #2. Not sure there’s anything close to a #3.

Demonstrating NBA Pro Potential
  1. Trayce Jackson-Davis, needs to improve outside shot and handle, I also think his lateral quickness will need to improve to help guard outside the key at the next level.
  2. Kristian Lander - I am only listing based on highlights and quickness; obviously looking forward to seeing the kid play.
Demonstrating "Pro" Potential

1. Jerome Hunter - has the height, shot making ability - could elevate to NBA pro potential with an improved handle and a consistent shooting season plus a commitment to defensive pressure
  2. Race Thompson - solid defensive instincts and good size, needs lateral quickness and consistent shot
  3. Rob Phinisee - must develop consistent shot and build out commitment to being a defensive stopper as I don't see him being one of the lead offensive options
Outside looking in at "Pro" Potential

1. Joey Brunk - good size, uses his body well ... needs to develop a good 15-18 foot shot and develop strong lateral quickness for defensive pressure ... could climb the ladder
  2. Jordan Jeronimo - raw talent, can't comment on the kid yet ... but looking forward to seeing the capabilities. This kid could be a top weapon in a year or two depending on his work ethic.
  3. Aljami Durham - can see this kid playing in Europe possibly, but he has to develop a stronger handle continue to build his defensive pressure.
Assuming Hunter meant "NBA" pros, but It is possible we even have three of those on this roster ... looking forward to seeing these kids playing.

There are currently five IU players with legit pro potential. Doesn't mean they will all make a roster and doesn't mean IU will get it done with them.

I still would argue that there are more teams with NBA talent who do not win championships than who do

Since there's only one team that wins it all and multiple teams with NBA talent, it really can't be any other way for that to work.

His point is that you need 3 guys with NBA talent on the team to win a championship. I'm hard pressed to think of too many teams in the last 10-12 seasons who lacked future NBA drafted players on their roster and still won it all.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Since there's only one team that wins it all and multiple teams with NBA talent, it really can't be any other way for that to work.

His point is that you need 3 guys with NBA talent on the team to win a championship. I'm hard pressed to think of too many teams in the last 10-12 seasons who lacked future NBA drafted players on their roster and still won it all.
UConn 13/14? And Louisville 12/13?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
UConn 13/14? And Louisville 12/13?
UConn may be the closest. Napier played in the league. Nolan was drafted by Toronto. 3 or 4 others played in Europe.

Siva drafted by the Pistons. Dieng played for Memphis. Harrel played for the Clippers. 3 or 4 others went to Europe.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Jerome will play in more nba games than romeo. Let me see Geronimo before I make my prediction on him.

but I’ll gladly bet that 3 or more players on this roster play in a game in the nba.

yogi troy and juwan have played in games. I predicted troy would, didn’t think juwan would.

Reactions: Lucy01
Jerome will play in more nba games than romeo. Let me see Geronimo before I make my prediction on him.

but I’ll gladly bet that 3 or more players on this roster play in a game in the nba.

yogi troy and juwan have played in games. I predicted troy would, didn’t think juwan would.
I don’t think he’s talking about “play in a game in the NBA” talent, he’s talking about legitimate pro players. You’d have to be extremely generous to look at our current roster and find that, unless there is a significant step up in performance..

I don’t think he’s talking about “play in a game in the NBA” talent, he’s talking about legitimate pro players. You’d have to be extremely generous to look at our current roster and find that, unless there is a significant step up in performance..
Lander and TJD will be in the NBA and play regularly. Hell, Jerome could be better than them both. All three have the tools. Why I love college bball. Are they gonna go Vic style and reach their ultimate potential? If so, ya, they all will play many years in the NBA.

Lander and TJD will be in the NBA and play regularly. Hell, Jerome could be better than them both. All three have the tools. Why I love college bball. Are they gonna go Vic style and reach their ultimate potential? If so, ya, they all will play many years in the NBA.
As I said, you have to be extremely generous to make those assessments.

Trayce, Lander,possible Geronimo, Hunter, Race.

If the definition of "pro" was NBA, dev, or overseas then I would agree and might add Rob who could make a career overseas. The Mad Ants sell tickets when IU alums are in uniform.

NBA IU has one for sure and potentially two more.

Last edited:

no way thats a stupid prediction

A good bit of Truth here. Most Champions probably do have 3 Pros on their roster but they also need to be able to break down a zone defense.

A good bit of Truth here. Most Champions probably do have 3 Pros on their roster but they also need to be able to break down a zone defense.
That team was headed for defeat no matter who they played. After watching them get thoroughly handled by UW in the BTT, it was clear they were sliding downhill fast. Crean ran them into the ground.

Reactions: mattn7
Jerome can’t dribble or drive to the hoop at all right now. And defensively he appears to lack quickness. He’d be eaten alive on both ends in the NBA. He doesn’t remotely look like a pro right now. Of course that might change but he has a very very long way to go.

Jerome can’t dribble or drive to the hoop at all right now. And defensively he appears to lack quickness. He’d be eaten alive on both ends in the NBA. He doesn’t remotely look like a pro right now. Of course that might change but he has a very very long way to go.
Wrong.
Wrong.
Probably, since it is the NBA and all.
Correct.
Correct.
Meh, not as far away as you make it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT