ADVERTISEMENT

2nd / 3rd Generation Sayings

SqueakyClean

Junior
Feb 18, 2014
A thread idea occurred to me a couple of days ago, and a recent post in another thread made me think of it again....

Growing up, my father always told me that he rarely would swear because it showed a lack of imagination and vocabulary. Now, this is not to say that if he ever smacked his thumb with a hammer, he wouldn't let an expletive fly, but if he ever recounted the event, he would say, "I hit my thumb, and then I said very loudly, 'Oh Gosh oh golly darn I wish I had not done that!'."

I've certainly said it myself over the years, but I was kinda taken aback a week ago when my son used that expression (Oh gosh oh golly....). It was amusing to me that this particular expression has now been passed down two or three generations.

So what are some things that you say (that you may have picked up from your parents) that you know that you have passed on to your kids?

The classic "Slower than molasses in January" has definitely passed down in my house.

"Measure three times, cut twice" is also one I say that I've heard my son say (the normal expression being "Measure twice, cut once", but I always say the former after I've done something stupid).

Some are more common than others, just curious if everyone else is destined to become their father like me.

Reactions: vesuvius13
A thread idea occurred to me a couple of days ago, and a recent post in another thread made me think of it again....

Growing up, my father always told me that he rarely would swear because it showed a lack of imagination and vocabulary. Now, this is not to say that if he ever smacked his thumb with a hammer, he wouldn't let an expletive fly, but if he ever recounted the event, he would say, "I hit my thumb, and then I said very loudly, 'Oh Gosh oh golly darn I wish I had not done that!'."

I've certainly said it myself over the years, but I was kinda taken aback a week ago when my son used that expression (Oh gosh oh golly....). It was amusing to me that this particular expression has now been passed down two or three generations.

So what are some things that you say (that you may have picked up from your parents) that you know that you have passed on to your kids?

The classic "Slower than molasses in January" has definitely passed down in my house.

"Measure three times, cut twice" is also one I say that I've heard my son say (the normal expression being "Measure twice, cut once", but I always say the former after I've done something stupid).

Some are more common than others, just curious if everyone else is destined to become their father like me.
I told some chick the other day that the farmer’s market “was grand,” and immediately regretted it

My fav rarely used phrase:

were_not_here_to_f____spiders_1.png

Whasoxdu?

My dad would say "pon my honor" and he's the only one I ever heard say that. It expresses surprise kind of like saying "goodness gracious". Court's saying above was always "Dumber that a box of rocks" when I was young.

You ain’t just whistlin’ Dixie

Reactions: vesuvius13 and NPT
"Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob"
"Hotter than two mice fvcking in a wool sock"
"Whiter than a fish's belly"
"Uglier than homemade soap"
"Wouldn't say shit with a mouthful"
Are you from Southern Indiana? Seems like those type of colloquialisms become more prevalent the further south of Indianapolis you get.

I grew up in Northern Indiana and I think a bunch of the sayings that got passed down my way we're like biblical proverbs (A fool and his money.....)

Are you from Southern Indiana? Seems like those type of colloquialisms become more prevalent the further south of Indianapolis you get.

I grew up in Northern Indiana and I think a bunch of the sayings that got passed down my way we're like biblical proverbs (A fool and his money.....)
Close enough.

My paternal grandfather would say "Well, greeeeeaaat day!" every time I visited him. He'd also say "horse-'n-buggy" every time he sneezed, as he sneezed.

I haven't adopted them yet, but will try with my own grandkids (if I have them).

Had a football coach tell the defense to "knock his dick in the dirt".

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Actually, now that I think about it, this is another one that my dad says, I say, and I heard my son say, albeit with one change;
"...horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons."

Reactions: larsIU
Hanging around like a hair in a biscuit - friend of mine
Asshat - me

Things I've said coaching:

You're a tremendous waste of sperm
You're the reason in some species they eat their own - I stole that from someone
Every time you shoot the ball a little piece of me dies
You defend like a fence with a missing gate
It takes a lot of skill to f*ck up three plays in a row
If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord a shot you make
Air ball it, so we can set our defense up - me to a player who was lousy from the FT line

Past work related comment:
Not sure he could spell Bingo if I spotted him the 'bing' - me to our service manager about to our best mechanic
What do you think he's been under more, cars or women?

I was once ejected from a game asking:
So it's OK to shove our player in the back while he's going up for layup?
-- OK...I asked it 10 times

So it's OK to shove our player in the back while he's going up for layup?
-- OK...I asked it 10 times
I had to chuckle at that...

I was reading about a baseball manager getting ejected because he went out and was arguing balls and strikes so the umpire told him to go where he couldn't see him so the manager went and stood on home plate. :) :)

Then another manager said "I asked the umpire if he could eject me for what I was thinking and the umpire said no so I proceeded to tell him what I was thinking and he ejected me". :)

I'll have to admit I learned some new sayings in this thread.... some I'd never heard before.
One that I didn't see and may have overlooked is...
If your brains were made of dynamite you wouldn't have enough power to blow your nose.

I might have shared this before. But when I was in the Madrigals in high school our teacher was Mrs. Rose Rink. Whenever she got frustrated with us she would yell out, "If a cat ferred a pair of kitten britches, how many would he want?" Mrs. Rink had a very beautiful voice. Even my father who had a great opera style tenor voice was very impressed with Mrs. Rink when she sang.

"Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob"
"Hotter than two mice fvcking in a wool sock"
"Whiter than a fish's belly"
"Uglier than homemade soap"
"Wouldn't say shit with a mouthful"
Hotter than a horned toad in a microwave.

Worthless as tits on a boar.

Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Sweating like a whore in church.

Messier than trying to fit a quart of shit in a pint jar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT