ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fiance advice

IUfanBorden

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
As most of you know my dad passed in September. He left my sister and myself his land in Georgia. After a lengt"legal debate" with my dads "ex-common law" wife, we have came to an agreement. I know some on here deal with money, so was needing some food advice here. With COVID, my health, multiple surgeries, and now with my wife, money has become scarce for us. So I'm wanting to take this money that I'll be getting, and put it to work. It will probably be another 2 months at the most before we recieve it. So with that time frame, figured I would start researching.

Keep in mind, this not a large sum, but to me, well it is. I'm 51..Wife is 52. I was not expecting to "start over" at this age, so this is VERY IMPORTANT for our future.

@hookyIU1990 ,@Kellerdog --No need to reply. I've seen the pics from Vegas. I don't trust either of you.😂😂

@hookyIU1990 ,@Kellerdog --No need to reply. I've seen the pics from Vegas. I don't trust either of you.😂😂

ice-t hater GIF

If you can hold the money for 10 years or more, low-cost index fund such as Vanguard Total Stock Market or similar. If it's money you need soon and can't tolerate investment risk, high quality bonds, CDs and/or high-yield savings accounts. Or some mix of both.

I read the subject as “Fiancée advice,” and was about to add the following …

Three important rules for breaking up:
Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to
Prolonging the situation only makes it worse
Tell her honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly
Don't make a big production
Don't make up an elaborate story
This will help you avoid a big tear-jerking scene
If you want to date other people say so
Be prepared for the girl to feel hurt and rejected
Even if you've gone together for only a short time and haven't been too serious
There's still a feeling of rejection when someone says he prefers the company of others to your exclusive company
But if you're honest and direct and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news
The girl will respect you for your frankness
And honestly, she’ll appreciate the kind of straightforward manner in which you told her your decision
Unless she’s a real jerk or a cry baby, you will remain friends

American Funds has been a great fund because of the way each fund sector is co-manager whether safe to balanced to growthy, domestic or international, dividends or capital gains. Have all 3 of our sons trusts set up in them. Their maintenance fees are affordable. Variety enough to cover near anyone's needs, goals and objectives. I've invested in them since the 80's and wish I had chosen them 1st back in the 70's. Find a solid planner to help with their easy to understand model of doing business.
Good luck!

American Funds has been a great fund because of the way each fund sector is co-manager whether safe to balanced to growthy, domestic or international, dividends or capital gains. Have all 3 of our sons trusts set up in them. Their maintenance fees are affordable. Variety enough to cover near anyone's needs, goals and objectives. I've invested in them since the 80's and wish I had chosen them 1st back in the 70's. Find a solid planner to help with their easy to understand model of doing business.
Good luck!
He needs to hide his assets.

As someone who professionally traded for 25 years (Series 3 4 7 24 57 66 and. ACAMS certified) and then was a CCO of a broker dealer,

Are you comfortable investing on your own or would you like help?

If you need help you have two choices a broker or an advisor. A broker will charge you by trade (commission) while an advisor will charge you about 2-3% of you investment per year. Most brokers are commission free now.

I still trade on my own through Fidelity but the broker responsible for my account will come to me for ideas.

If you find a broker, check their background at Broker Check by FINRA to see if they have any red flags in their background.

I suggest you talk to a professional and once you get comfortable you can invest on your own. Also the broker or advisor must go through a suitability worksheet to gauge the amount of money you have to invest , the types of investments you would like to invest in, the risk you are willing to take and your timeline.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
As someone who professionally traded for 25 years (Series 3 4 7 24 57 66 and. ACAMS certified) and then was a CCO of a broker dealer,

If you need help you have two choices a broker or an advisor. A broker will charge you by trade (commission) while an advisor will charge you about 2-3% of you investment per year. Most brokers are commission free now.

I still trade on my own through Fidelity but the broker responsible for my account will come to me for ideas.

If you find a broker, check their background at Broker Check by FINRA to see if they have any red flags in their background.

I suggest you talk to a professional and once you get comfortable you can invest on your own. Also the broker or advisor must go through a suitability worksheet to gauge the amount of money you have to invest , the types of investments you would like to invest in, the risk you are willing to take and your timeline.
A CFP should not be charging that much. Guys I know are around 1.1 to 1.25 for assets under a million. Over a million .85-.9.

Hard to beat an S&P 500 index fund. If you want to be a bit more aggressive with 10-20 percent, QQQ.

okay 1%, for me it doesn’t work since I would rather trade commission free.

Good luck!
In response, I have a surprise for you...

Hello, Dad!

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
A CFP should not be charging that much. Guys I know are around 1.1 to 1.25 for assets under a million. Over a million .85-.9.

Hard to beat an S&P 500 index fund. If you want to be a bit more aggressive with 10-20 percent, QQQ.
Q's are excellent. Bought a block decades ago at their inception and added multiples since. With AI now mainstreaming with technology the Q's are adding another investment dynamic for growth.

okay 1%, for me it doesn’t work since I would rather trade commission free.
Agree there. But for a lot of people a good CFP is worth it beyond just investing. As I get older I am more open to using one as I handle all things finances today and it really is not my wife's strong suit. I fully expect to die first.

As most of you know my dad passed in September. He left my sister and myself his land in Georgia. After a lengt"legal debate" with my dads "ex-common law" wife, we have came to an agreement. I know some on here deal with money, so was needing some food advice here. With COVID, my health, multiple surgeries, and now with my wife, money has become scarce for us. So I'm wanting to take this money that I'll be getting, and put it to work. It will probably be another 2 months at the most before we recieve it. So with that time frame, figured I would start researching.

Keep in mind, this not a large sum, but to me, well it is. I'm 51..Wife is 52. I was not expecting to "start over" at this age, so this is VERY IMPORTANT for our future.

congratulations on the windfall. sounds like you have to be prudent with it. my advice. get a sound financial advisor. don't do it yourself. i've used @Baller23Boogie for years. good luck

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
Reminds me of a feller who went to the doctor for his usual exam. The doctor told him to drop his pants and assume the position; that yes...."that" was necessary. So...the doctor put on the gloves, lubed and proceeded with the task at hand. At that moment, the feller winced in unexpected discomfort and said...."Yikes, Doc! Feels like you're using two fingers or something". The doctor replied..."Well, as a matter of fact...I am". "Ouch...Woah...wait...why would you do that?" he asked. The doctor replied....."I'm getting an immediate second opinion".

Sir....what you need is a second opinion.

Agree on the pricing. 2-3% is way too much.

Reactions: BCCHoosier

Easy answer. Bitcoin. As much as you can get. This isn't financial advice. Fiance advice either.

If you're not familiar with investing or don't have the time to follow the markets my advice would be to find a financial advisor you can trust. Talk to friends, colleagues or relatives to see who they use & what results they have had with that fa. I went through 3 before I found one I was comfortable with. I was oo busy running my own business nor had the knowledge. I also disagree with some of the comments made about the wife, she needs to be on board with what you're doing. Actually my wife found our advisor.

As far as investing, jmo but you need to be diversified. Invest in some higher risk options but also invest in things that are low risk as well. Our FA has us invested in several of the American Funds, as well as other mutual funds, cds, a d even a couple " munies". Monies may not pay the highest interest but the interest is normally tax free.

Best advice I got on investing was from a friend, now deceased, who owned several successful business. I once asked him for advice on buying & selling stocks. He told me " I buy stocks, I don't sell them". Guy figured his networth in "Bs" not "Ms".

Could you call me sometime?

I’m not sure if coming to an Indiana Hoosier basketball forum is the best idea for seeking marital or financial advice. i’m just saying……

Could you call me sometime?
you can get 5% in a savings account. No risk there.

Right now is the all time highs for most stocks. My advisor thinks it is all going to crash so you could easily lose your ass investing right now in the market. If you do, an easy way is to invest it is in SPY, that basically follows the S&P, again at its all time high, so for sure risk involved.

you can get 5% in a savings account. No risk there.

Right now is the all time highs for most stocks. My advisor thinks it is all going to crash so you could easily lose your ass investing right now in the market. If you do, an easy way is to invest it is in SPY, that basically follows the S&P, again at its all time high, so for sure risk involved.
Mind me asking, does your advisor have you mostly on the sidelines then in money market and other safe/short term plays?

I went through losing my dad and settling his estate. It is a long and stressful process. I don't know your entire financial situation, but this is what I would suggest.

Eliminate as much debt as you can. It's okay to keep a mortgage if your interest rate is below what your money would make in stocks, mutual funds or wherever you decide to put your money. I'm 59 and still moderately aggressive with my investments.

Your dad left you a gift. Use the money to ease your mind and be secure in the future. Take your time and do what will help you now and in the future. We waited to pay our house off until we could use the gains from our investments. We wanted our investments to grow before using any towards the house.

A financial advisor is helpful. We have a good one that really helped us this year in both increasing wealth and saving us money on taxes. He has made us a lot more than we would have without him. They aren't all like that so ask around and don't choose anyone that doesn't make what they are doing clear to you. If you are in Eville, I can give you a name to start with.

Mind me asking, does your advisor have you mostly on the sidelines then in money market and other safe/short term plays?
Yep on the sidelines. Wasn’t the right choice over the last 6 months but what can you do I didn’t lose money. Next crash I’ll go all in.

Reactions: BCCHoosier

There are probably worse places than this forum to come for financial advice such as this... But none come immediately to mind.

Here's my free recommendation.... Worth what you are paying.

Go stick the money into a money market fund (approx paying 5% right now) and don't do anything for at least 6 months. Go real slow and really figure out things yourself before investing in anything or with anyone.

You're too old and broke to fk this up. Good luck.

There are probably worse places than this forum to come for financial advice such as this... But none come immediately to mind.

Here's my free recommendation.... Worth what you are paying.

Go stick the money into a money market fund (approx paying 5% right now) and don't do anything for at least 6 months. Go real slow and really figure out things yourself before investing in anything or with anyone.

You're too old and broke to fk this up. Good luck.
What he is saying....

Cause @IUfanBorden , so much will depend on how much regular access you need. If it is going to be what you survive on, pay monthly bills with, dip into if you need a new refrigerator... I don't think it would make sense to invest it into a fund. Money Market, easy 5%, you should still be able to add or subtract from that account with ease and with no charge. However if you are investing in a fund, or through like a Roth IRA vehicle, those are more "set it and forget it" type strategies. AND, those returns are not guaranteed, especially in smaller windows. You very well could lose money if the market has a bad year. But if you are letting it sit there for 5 years, they should average profitable returns.

With a traditional bank account, you know you are getting a 5% return - no risk there.

Please, for the love of god, do not invest it into crypto. You will be so stressed watching it go dramatically up and dramatically down all the time.

Blah Blah blah.... understanding how often and freely you need to be able to access the money is a big first step. If you are using it for day to day stuff, that will limit your options, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Yep on the sidelines. Wasn’t the right choice over the last 6 months but what can you do I didn’t lose money. Next crash I’ll go all in.
You did lose money by pulling out. I was buying what I could and reinvesting dividends in 2022-2023 when the market took a dump. You can pull money out after the market comes back if you want, but you miss out on a lot of growth trying to guess when to get back in.

I'm in it for the long haul. Those who play the market often lose, I am expecting a downturn this year. Higher prices and higher interest rates will finally take a toll. I'll be okay because I'm balanced well enough to ride it back to the top.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You did lose money by pulling out. I was buying what I could and reinvesting dividends in 2022-2023 when the market took a dump. You can pull money out after the market comes back if you want, but you miss out on a lot of growth trying to guess when to get back in.

I'm in it for the long haul. Those who play the market often lose, I am expecting a downturn this year. Higher prices and higher interest rates will finally take a toll. I'll be okay because I'm balanced well enough to ride it back to the top.
Was going to say the same but haven't had time. Being out this year has definitely cost him money.

People need to realize timing the market is hard. You have to be right twice, both on exiting and your re-entry point.

I've taken profits and gotten lucky but never the whole thing. I've also been wrong too. Some of these perma-bear wall street types wait years for a fall that seldom materializes within their timeline.

Reactions: UncleMark
I read the subject as “Fiancée advice,” and was about to add the following …

Three important rules for breaking up:
Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to
Prolonging the situation only makes it worse
Tell her honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly
Don't make a big production
Don't make up an elaborate story
This will help you avoid a big tear-jerking scene
If you want to date other people say so
Be prepared for the girl to feel hurt and rejected
Even if you've gone together for only a short time and haven't been too serious
There's still a feeling of rejection when someone says he prefers the company of others to your exclusive company
But if you're honest and direct and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news
The girl will respect you for your frankness
And honestly, she’ll appreciate the kind of straightforward manner in which you told her your decision
Unless she’s a real jerk or a cry baby, you will remain friends
I think that is nada help. He might as well go surfing. Maybe you should have this filed under a teenage guide to popularity.

Reactions: Radio Zero

I sold my house in August, had a lot of new cash.

With the amount of money the government is spending and the amount of immigrants crossing the border, I wouldn’t want to be on the sidelines. Not to mention possible cuts this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT