ADVERTISEMENT

2020 heating up............

Saw some quotes about this kid from his HS coach......said he comes to play every day, hasn't had a bad practice in 4 years. Says he's mentally & physically tough. AAU scouts say he's very good defensively. That's the good news. Bad news is he's not ultra quick & not that much of a shooter.

Overall, looks like a nice pass-first 4 year complimentary piece to our other 3 '20 recruits, who are supposed to be shooter/scorers......wouldn't scare away Linder and would be here before, and possibly after, him.

And it would seem IU has a good shot at him.....his original list hasn't changed all that much since we offered.

Curbelo seems high on Miami and Kansas.

The other kid Diarra is at least listed as a Texas A&M lean.

Saw some quotes about this kid from his HS coach......said he comes to play every day, hasn't had a bad practice in 4 years. Says he's mentally & physically tough. AAU scouts say he's very good defensively. That's the good news. Bad news is he's not ultra quick & not that much of a shooter.

Overall, looks like a nice pass-first 4 year complimentary piece to our other 3 '20 recruits, who are supposed to be shooter/scorers......wouldn't scare away Linder and would be here before, and possibly after, him.

And it would seem IU has a good shot at him.....his original list hasn't changed all that much since we offered.
Sounds like Chris Reynolds type.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

I disagree with "needing" a PG in the 2020 class. They "need" someone over 6'8" who can play center so that Brunk isn't the only center on the team in 20-21. If you wait, then it has to be someone like Furst who is good enough to play immediately. That is too much pressure on the '21 class.
If they end up oversigning, then it may mean Hunter isn't healthy or a veteran has fallen out of favor, both bad signs.

The PG's they are looking at appear to be really solid players, I don't deny that, but if Lander signs, IU would then have 3 PGs in 21-22, and one would be unhappy because senior Phinisee and freshman Lander would be starters, leaving the sophomore 4-star not playing.

So maybe if IU gets a PG IN '20, they just forget about Lander in '21 and try to get 2 forwards.

I disagree with "needing" a PG in the 2020 class. They "need" someone over 6'8" who can play center so that Brunk isn't the only center on the team in 20-21. If you wait, then it has to be someone like Furst who is good enough to play immediately. That is too much pressure on the '21 class.
If they end up oversigning, then it may mean Hunter isn't healthy or a veteran has fallen out of favor, both bad signs.

The PG's they are looking at appear to be really solid players, I don't deny that, but if Lander signs, IU would then have 3 PGs in 21-22, and one would be unhappy because senior Phinisee and freshman Lander would be starters, leaving the sophomore 4-star not playing.

So maybe if IU gets a PG IN '20, they just forget about Lander in '21 and try to get 2 forwards.

We all saw what happened when Rob got hurt. Teams also play with more than one point on the floor at a time. Why couldn't we do it?

We need a true ball handler that can run this team, not just a stop gap.

And it's no guarantee that Lander is coming here, so if we can get a good point in the 2020 class, who are we to turn him down? We're in good position with him, but there is still a long way to go with him.

And there's no way we stop recruiting Lander if we get a lead guard in this class or not. Lander isn't scared of competition, and if he is, he isn't someone we would want in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierdaddy_1972
We all saw what happened when Rob got hurt. Teams also play with more than one point on the floor at a time. Why couldn't we do it?

We need a true ball handler that can run this team, not just a stop gap.

And it's no guarantee that Lander is coming here, so if we can get a good point in the 2020 class, who are we to turn him down? We're in good position with him, but there is still a long way to go with him.

And there's no way we stop recruiting Lander if we get a lead guard in this class or not. Lander isn't scared of competition, and if he is, he isn't someone we would want in the first place.
Usually when teams play multiple PG it's because one or both can shoot so they're more like combo guards. The PGs IU is recruiting aren't very good shooters at this time and last season neither was Phinisee.

Lander is one and done. Why would he sign on to a team with 2 point guards with one who is a 4 year starter?

If IU gets Diarra or Curbelo they will not get Lander, nor need him.

I agree. Also, if TJD has a great season he could potentially leave for the NBA. Big men usually take more time to develop than guards, as well.

Lander is one and done. Why would he sign on to a team with 2 point guards with one who is a 4 year starter?

If IU gets Diarra or Curbelo they will not get Lander, nor need him.

Read this sentence carefully.... If Lander is a one and done, he will not be scared of losing playing time to a sophomore Diarro or Curbelo or a Whitt if he reclassified.

Again, I ask you, why would we turn away a good point guard that could help us next year that could help when we "might" get Lander in a couple of years. Lander isn't a sure thing in the least.

To say that IU doesn't need Lander if we get a lead guard in 2020 is one of the most idiotic statements I've read on this board in a while. The kid will be a game changer.

Usually when teams play multiple PG it's because one or both can shoot so they're more like combo guards. The PGs IU is recruiting aren't very good shooters at this time and last season neither was Phinisee.

I'm not saying that Rob and the freshman will play at the same time, but if Lander would come, Rob and Lander would play a whole lot together with whoever we get theoretically get in the 2020 class subbing in. It's worked before and could work for us.

Read this sentence carefully.... If Lander is a one and done, he will not be scared of losing playing time to a sophomore Diarro or Curbelo or a Whitt if he reclassified.

Again, I ask you, why would we turn away a good point guard that could help us next year that could help when we "might" get Lander in a couple of years. Lander isn't a sure thing in the least.

To say that IU doesn't need Lander if we get a lead guard in 2020 is one of the most idiotic statements I've read on this board in a while. The kid will be a game changer.

I think TR32 is arguing that a big man is more of need than point guard and would prefer IU (assuming we only have 1 scholarship available) to take a big instead of a point guard.

I think TR32 is arguing that a big man is more of need than point guard and would prefer IU (assuming we only have 1 scholarship available) to take a big instead of a point guard.

Diarro is taking a official visit next weekend.

He offered Andre Curbelo.

Carter Whitt, if he reclassifies to 2020, is a real possibility for us.

We offered Cam Hayes before he committed to NC State.

I think it's pretty clear Archie wants a point in this class.

Realistically, at this point, the only big that were after in the 2020 class is Garcia, who we're probably gonna get a official from.

Last edited:
Diarro is taking a official visit next weekend.

He offered Andre Curbelo.

Carter Whitt, if he reclassifies to 2020, is a real possibility for us.

We offered Cam Hayes before he committed to NC State.

I think it's pretty clear Archie wants a point in this class.

Realistically, at this point, the only big that were after in the 2020 class is Garcia, who we're probably gonna get a official from.

I never commented on what Archie wanted. I do agree that Archie's priority seems to be a point guard.

Last edited:
I think Garcia is by far the top focus for Miller and I'd even say he is the recruit who could cement Miller's tenure for the near future.

PG is oversign worthy perhaps in his mind.

I think Garcia is by far the top focus for Miller and I'd even say he is the recruit who could cement Miller's tenure for the near future.

PG is oversign worthy perhaps in his mind.

If Diarra wants to commit next weekend, he's a take. We don't bring him in for a official if we don't want him, so in this scenario, Garcia would be the oversign.

Yep, Kessler is going to play a stretch 4 with Sharpe coming in as the 5 in that class, Dawson coming to UNC doesn't make sense at this point. Dawson is a key target for IU, I think Kentucky and maybe Wisconsin or Marquette are the major competition at this point. Archie needs to go full throttle on him.

Reactions: ufo33
UNC just landed a 5star center, potentially taking them out of the running for Garcia.
I wonder how much money UNC had to use?
At least he can take fake classes now at UNC.
'Ol Roy runs a tight, corrupt ship at UNC.

Last edited:
edit---I'd like to keep a list of those 2020 players we are actively recruiting who we seem to have a legit shot at. I want to limit it to those with offers, not just interest. As far as I can tell, right now it looks like this:

--- Caleb Love......6-3.....MO....... 26 on 247; 32 on Rivals...cancelled visit
--- Zach Loveday.......7-0....OH........73/69......IU no longer involved
--- Trey Galloway......6-5....IN..........123/NR....commit to IU
--- Anthony Leal.......6-5....IN...........115/112...commit to IU
--- Matt Cross......6-7......MASS.......89/79......commited to Miami
--- Dawson Garcia......6'11"....MN......23/38
--- RJ Davis........5'11"......NY....102/104
--- DJ Steward......6'3".....ILL.....31/25......commit to Duke
--- Hassan Diarra...6'2"...CT.......78/71
---Jalen Bridges.....6'7"...WV......81/92......committed to W.V.
---Jaemyn Brakefield....6'8"...WV...53/33....IU not in final 10
---Jordan Geronimo....6'5"....NH...NR/NR....commit to IU
---Javonte Brown-Ferguson...6'11"....MD/CAN...NR/NR (will likely reclass. to '20)
---Carter Whitt....6'3".....NC......48/44 (May classify to '20)
---Andre Curbelo....6'0"....NY......66/45

The heights are as listed by Rivals/247

Here are two others that have offers from IU, but don't seem too interested:

1. Isaiah Jackson......6'9".........OH
2. Nimari Burnett.......6'3".......CA
3. Andre Jackson......6'6"........NY

If there are any other IU offers how there are 2020, let me know. I'll keep the thread updated when people drop out or are added.

IU is in the final 5 with PG Curbelo.....other 4 are St. John's, Miami, Oregon & Illinois.

IU is out on Caleb Love. He's down to Missouri and UNC.

I think missing out on DJ Carton, the OSU recruit from Iowa, has had a much bigger impact than missing out on Brooks......since he committed to OSU we must have recruited 10-12 different PGs, with none biting so far. Think of the man hours spent on that pursuit........

Miller has gone to see Garcia 3 times in the last couple of weeks. As I keep saying, he is the one they need most.

And for anyone talking about 3 PGs on the same team...

2021-22:

Rob Phinisee = starting PG.

2020 4-star PG = sophomore looking for a big boost in minutes at PG.

Franklin, Anderson, Hunter, Leal, Galloway all veterans as shooters (assumed)

Lander= 5star one and done without a clear spot. Since 5star guys always start, the question would be what then happens to the disgruntled 2020 PG who is no longer first or second option at point? He transfers.

Therefore, either you miss on Garcia and grab a PG which is not ideal, or you land Garcia and go heavy after Lander for 2021 = ideal.

But knowing that Lander is by no means a lock, IU would need to have one or two 4-star PGs as optional if Lander were to not sign, and that also brings up a potential problem if Garcia becomes one and done, or if TJD is two and thru. You certainly can't lose those guys and hope to still convince a top 10 kid that he should pick IU over Duke.

Thus, what we have is a scenario where getting Lander will be a difficult pursuit and one that would be a "must".

If Archie is a Creaner, he will oversign with a PG for 2020, and jettison the #11 player from this year's team. If he is not a Creaner, he will only take a PG in the event that Garcia doesn't sign, and if the kid is pretty good it would seem then that competing for Lander would become difficult.

I think missing out on DJ Carton, the OSU recruit from Iowa, has had a much bigger impact than missing out on Brooks......since he committed to OSU we must have recruited 10-12 different PGs, with none biting so far. Think of the man hours spent on that pursuit........

Good point, I agree. Also, I haven't heard much about OSU yet, but Carton and Lidell are going to be super freshmen, and they will be really tough with both Wesson boys still anchoring that team.

Miller has gone to see Garcia 3 times in the last couple of weeks. As I keep saying, he is the one they need most.

2021-22:

Lander= 5star one and done without a clear spot. Since 5star guys always start, the question would be what then happens to the disgruntled 2020 PG who is no longer first or second option at point? He transfers.

Therefore, either you miss on Garcia and grab a PG which is not ideal, or you land Garcia and go heavy after Lander for 2021 = ideal.

But knowing that Lander is by no means a lock, IU would need to have one or two 4-star PGs as optional if Lander were to not sign, and that also brings up a potential problem if Garcia becomes one and done, or if TJD is two and thru. You certainly can't lose those guys and hope to still convince a top 10 kid that he should pick IU over Duke.

Thus, what we have is a scenario where getting Lander will be a difficult pursuit and one that would be a "must".

If Archie is a Creaner, he will oversign with a PG for 2020, and jettison the #11 player from this year's team. If he is not a Creaner, he will only take a PG in the event that Garcia doesn't sign, and if the kid is pretty good it would seem then that competing for Lander would become difficult.
Interesting scenarios you bring to light. Thanks for sharing. One side note. I am blown away that Lander could possibly be a one and done. I have. seen him play a couple times and thought he was good but ... More power to him.

Reactions: Spartans9312

2021-22:

In this scenario, the 2020 point then probably wouldn't transfer until until the end of the 2021 seasons especially if it is Dialla that we get. Would would he transfer before the season based on a incoming commit that hasn't played a single minute yet?

The kid is something like a top 60 recruit (going off of memory). He's not a scrub. Why does everyone think that his minutes would just wilt away to nothing, barring he plays up to his actual ranking (no one knows if that will happen or not).

Also, I get the strong feeling that this isn't a either or with a point and Garcia (depending on the player). I get the feeling that Archie would like, especially if it's Dialla and Garcia, both of them.

It's only been "official" for a few days now. It's interesting that you're so plugged in to recruiting that you know that but don't know that the other recruit's name is Diarra and not Dialla.

Love canceled his visit like a week and a half ago or something like that and never rescheduled. I'd say that's a pretty big indicator that we were eliminated.

And my bad for spelling a recruits name wrong.

Iu had 3 point guards in 92 with Meeks, Bailey and Reynolds. Bailey was a true combo guard though, and Reynolds couldn't shoot so there were situational minutes for him. Meeks was the primary passing PG that year. He had a great wraparound pass from the baseline to feed the post.

I don't recall a lot of 3 PG teams since then. Remy Abel sat on the bench while Jones and Hulls struggled to bring the ball up against full court pressure. I never understood that, but hey byegones.

Diarra to Texas A&M. IU recruiting targets down to Curbelo or Garcia. Or neither.

I have a friend well connected to the Minnesota bball program. He and 2 others met with Pitino and Rob Jeter (lead assistant) yesterday, and talked with Pitino about his meeting with Garcia. Pitino did not sound optimistic about landing Garcia, per my source. He believes it is down to IU and Marquette, with Marquette also well positioned.

My friend said that he met with the 2 in "Pitino's huge office", and he meant to put some pressure on them about Garcia and Minn HS players. Neither P nor J sounded real confident about landing Garcia, and Jeter seemed nervous. Pitino was nice, but "did not want to hear it", and said Minnesota kids should just want to come to Minn, and cannot understand the reluctance to come to the home state school. He told Pitino that if P lands Garcia it will pave the way for P to get more Minnesota kids. P said that he does not buy that, and said that these kids all have their selfish reasons to go to one place over another. (selfish??) P was "very cynical", and was obviously stressed and tired of people bitching abut the lack of recruiting success instate.

P's first year at Minn, 2 of the top 10 and 3 of the top 25 players were from Minn, and P thought that he would get at least 2 of top 3, but did not get any of them. Since then, P seems like he is pissed and doesn't "like" to recruit Minn kids, thinks they are selfish (huh?), and is out to prove that he can win without Minn kids. My friend thinks that is a big mistake, and I agree as Crean basically did the same thing. He thinks that P has some "confidence issues', and is feeling some heat.

Archie is totally right, per my Minn friend. He believes that IU is a "sleeping giant" and will soon return to elite status with the inside/out recruiting approach. He said that if Archie just gets half the Indiana HS kids that he wants, he has a roster of kids that are "basketball players". My friend, who grew up and still lives in Minnesota, is a big admirer of Indiana high school basketball and the players that come out of the HS system here.

For what it's worth, and I do not know any of feepaw and cryano's "insiders"...

I have a friend well connected to the Minnesota bball program. He and 2 others met with Pitino and Rob Jeter (lead assistant) yesterday, and talked with Pitino about his meeting with Garcia. Pitino did not sound optimistic about landing Garcia, per my source. He believes it is down to IU and Marquette, with Marquette also well positioned.

My friend said that he met with the 2 in "Pitino's huge office", and he meant to put some pressure on them about Garcia and Minn HS players. Neither P nor J sounded real confident about landing Garcia, and Jeter seemed nervous. Pitino was nice, but "did not want to hear it", and said Minnesota kids should just want to come to Minn, and cannot understand the reluctance to come to the home state school. He told Pitino that if P lands Garcia it will pave the way for P to get more Minnesota kids. P said that he does not buy that, and said that these kids all have their selfish reasons to go to one place over another. (selfish??) P was "very cynical", and was obviously stressed and tired of people bitching abut the lack of recruiting success instate.

P's first year at Minn, 2 of the top 10 and 3 of the top 25 players were from Minn, and P thought that he would get at least 2 of top 3, but did not get any of them. Since then, P seems like he is pissed and doesn't "like" to recruit Minn kids, thinks they are selfish (huh?), and is out to prove that he can win without Minn kids. My friend thinks that is a big mistake, and I agree as Crean basically did the same thing. He thinks that P has some "confidence issues', and is feeling some heat.

Archie is totally right, per my Minn friend. He believes that IU is a "sleeping giant" and will soon return to elite status with the inside/out recruiting approach. He said that if Archie just gets half the Indiana HS kids that he wants, he has a roster of kids that are "basketball players". My friend, who grew up and still lives in Minnesota, is a big admirer of Indiana high school basketball and the players that come out of the HS system here.

For what it's worth, and I do not know any of feepaw and cryano's "insiders"...
Don’t mind that category 5 hurricane coming straight at us, Jimmy says it’s 75 and all sun up on the beach with his crimson blinders on tight. Smooth sailing ahead!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT