ADVERTISEMENT

2020 heating up............

I thought Cross might have fit if it meant transitioning into a physically and mentally tough team that might over-achieve and be fun to watch.

That roster would, however, be lacking in star power. We got plenty of role players in Brunk, Race, Al, Franlin, Leal & Galloway. Potential, but uncertain potential, with Geronimo. We don't know for sure what we have with Rob & Hunter. We don't have much with Smith and Anderson. TJD should be very good.

That leaves recruit #4 for '20. If we want to be able to compete with the big boys in 2020-21 it needs to be someone like Garcia (preferably) or Love who can carry the mail. Someone like Loveday or a grad transfer big could set things up for the '21 class but won't be enough for 2020 team.
Garcia, Love, Loveday or wait until 2021.

Last edited:
Cross to IU 64%

It's almost as if the "experts" have no clue. They are carnival hacks hoping someone will pay them to guess their weight. Win or lose/right or wrong, you walk away with a cheap novelty prize such as knowing who the kid commits to a whole two seconds before everyone else.

Seems pretty obvious IU either pulled the offer after JG committed or Cross felt he would have to fight for the playing time he wanted. Otherwise he would have announced before JG.

Probably for the best that Cross went elsewhere. IU would be much better served landing a PG or a quality post player.

I thought Cross might have fit if it meant transitioning into a physically and mentally tough team that might over-achieve and be fun to watch.

That roster would, however, be lacking in star power. We got plenty of role players in Brunk, Race, Al, Franlin, Leal & Galloway. Potential, but uncertain potential, with Geronimo. We don't know for sure what we have with Rob & Hunter. We don't have much with Smith and Anderson. TJD should be very good.

That leaves recruit #4 for '20. If we want to be able to compete with the big boys in 2020-21 it needs to be someone like Garcia (preferably) or Love who can carry the mail. Someone like Loveday or a grad transfer big could set things up for the '21 class but won't be enough for 2020 team.

I respectfully disagree with you regarding JSmith and DAnderson. JS is going to be a junior. Both Morgan and TWilliams made massive improvements between their soph and junior years. Heck, some posters were running TW off the team after his soph year, very similar to what some here have labeled JSmith. I may be wrong, but with the smarts and athleticism that JS has, this is the year that he "gets it", and makes the big bball player leap.

DAnderson is a lights out scorer, and he will be a productive player for IU. It may be later in the season, or even as a junior, but he will be a rotation player at Indiana. The kid can play.

Let's shoot for the stars (Garcia or Love) with that last scholarship. If not, grad transfer or bank it for the mega talented 2021 class. Archie is building a program that will return IU to a perpetual contender.

I respectfully disagree with you regarding JSmith and DAnderson. JS is going to be a junior. Both Morgan and TWilliams made massive improvements between their soph and junior years. Heck, some posters were running TW off the team after his soph year, very similar to what some here have labeled JSmith. I may be wrong, but with the smarts and athleticism that JS has, this is the year that he "gets it", and makes the big bball player leap.

I think you're mixing up your years on Troy Williams. He had a really good sophomore season (probably better than his junior season). He made his big jump after his freshmen season. I always thought people were crazy when they complained about him.

DAnderson is a lights out scorer, and he will be a productive player for IU. It may be later in the season, or even as a junior, but he will be a rotation player at Indiana. The kid can play.

Let's shoot for the stars (Garcia or Love) with that last scholarship. If not, grad transfer or bank it for the mega talented 2021 class. Archie is building a program that will return IU to a perpetual contender.

Re: Smith, it all depends on his attitude. Pretty unusual for a soph to decline significantly in 2 pt %, 3 pt %, FT %, and to score fewer points and grab fewer rebounds per minute played than has a freshman. Without being injured, that is. He was efficient and productive as a freshman.....he'd contribute just by getting back to those #s.

Regarding Anderson.....seems to be a really good guy. I just have a hard time even imagining him being a good player. If you can , google his name and you tube. There are some Nike EYBL LA highlights for him. Almost all of his shots were long, stationary jump shots. Although he's tall, he has a low & slow release without much elevation. Don't see 3s off the dribble or without his feet set, ala a John Diebler. On his other videos he showed a limited ability to run and finish on a break. There's not much else there. So.......he couldn't shoot last year. Even If he completely turns that around, will he play much this year? He hasn't shown he can defend or rebound at the college level.

I think you're mixing up your years on Troy Williams. He had a really good sophomore season (probably better than his junior season). He made his big jump after his freshmen season. I always thought people were crazy when they complained about him.
He's by far the dumbest basketball player I've ever seen regardless of class. He was dumb when he was a frosh as he was as a soph and he's just as dumb now. Over excited spaz with bottom of the spectrum bball IQ.

He's by far the dumbest basketball player I've ever seen regardless of class. He was dumb when he was a frosh as he was as a soph and he's just as dumb now. Over excited spaz with bottom of the spectrum bball IQ.

How do you measure that? Josh Newkirk would like to have a word with you.

Reactions: T.M.P.

I have more faith in Damezi improving than Smith. Damezi has been a big time scorer and shooter in his past. Smith has no shooting touch outside 5 feet, as evidenced by his poor FT shooting. Smith needs to play hard nosed D and rebound

Reactions: cshartle123
Troy was far more skilled than Smith as a Soph. The problem was that Troy seemed to peak at as Soph. Then he tried to do too much. Forever image is Troy driving the lane full speed into heavy traffic, losing the ball and falling down, while Troy is sprawled out on the floor the opposing team takes off on a 5 on 4 fast break that ends in a dunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: cshartle123

Worst transition defense I have ever seen. Williams was in la la land getting back on defense.
I liked his offense though.

3 for 14 from 3pt range, lol. 21% 3pt. He and Smith could have an even HORSE contest.

His stats are outstanding. 8 boards, 8 dimes at 6feet tall? True distributor which is what a PG is supposed to be.

Chris Reynolds couldn't shoot a lick but he was an excellent point guard.

His stats are outstanding. 8 boards, 8 dimes at 6feet tall? True distributor which is what a PG is supposed to be.

Chris Reynolds couldn't shoot a lick but he was an excellent point guard.
That is true. The only issue is that team had plenty of other shooters on the team. Last two season's total lack of 3pt shooting, finishing over 300th nationally in 3pt shooting, makes every recruit micro-analyzed for 3pt shooting so that IU does not end up with another Newkirk.

Rob Phinisee as a Freshman has been the best PG under Archie. Greater than a 5th year Senior.

edit---I'd like to keep a list of those 2020 players we are actively recruiting who we seem to have a legit shot at. I want to limit it to those with offers, not just interest. As far as I can tell, right now it looks like this:

--- Caleb Love......6-3.....MO....... 26 on 247; 32 on Rivals.....IU in final 6
--- Zach Loveday.......7-0....OH........73/69......IU no longer involved
--- Trey Galloway......6-5....IN..........123/NR....commit to IU
--- Anthony Leal.......6-5....IN...........115/112...commit to IU
--- Matt Cross......6-7......MASS.......89/79......commited to Miami
--- Dawson Garcia......6'11"....MN......23/38
--- RJ Davis........5'11"......NY....102/104
--- DJ Steward......6'3".....ILL.....31/25
--- Hassan Diarra...6'2"...CT.......78/71
---Jalen Bridges.....6'7"...WV......81/92......committed to W.V.
---Jaemyn Brakefield....6'8"...WV...53/33....IU not in final 10
---Jordan Geronimo....6'5"....NH...NR/NR....commit to IU
---Javonte Brown-Ferguson...6'11"....MD/CAN...NR/NR (will likely reclass. to '20)
---Carter Whitt....6'3".....NC......48/44 (May classify to '20)
---Andre Curbelo....6'0"....NY......66/45

The heights are as listed by Rivals/247

Here are two others that have offers from IU, but don't seem too interested:

1. Isaiah Jackson......6'9".........OH
2. Nimari Burnett.......6'3".......CA
3. Andre Jackson......6'6"........NY

If there are any other IU offers how there are 2020, let me know. I'll keep the thread updated when people drop out or are added.

Added Curbelo....interestingly, 247 has him at 155 lbs (Rival--170 lbs)....RJ Davis size, but a different game....

HSN posters are saying IU is no longer recruiting Loveday....one quotes Loveday as saying he's not heard from IU for months. We don't appear in the top 3-4 right now for Brwon-Ferguson. Is it Garcia or bust on a 4 or 5?

IU is recruiting PG Cam Hayes. A top 30 player in 2021 who is reclasifying to 2020. 6'3".

The article doesn't explicitly state that he's been offered.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-...ss-of-2020-names-to-know-top-30-pg-cam-hayes/

I wonder if all these PG offers are due to a lack of confidence in RP and/or landing Lander or just for depth at the PG position. Neither Hayes nor Curbelo appear to be great shooters so I don't know if we'd want 1 of them plus RP or Lander on the floor at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ufo33
IU is recruiting PG Cam Hayes. A top 30 player in 2021 who is reclasifying to 2020. 6'3".

The article doesn't explicitly state that he's been offered.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-...ss-of-2020-names-to-know-top-30-pg-cam-hayes/

I wonder if all these PG offers are due to a lack of confidence in RP and/or landing Lander or just for depth at the PG position. Neither Hayes nor Curbelo appear to be great shooters so I don't know if we'd want 1 of them plus RP or Lander on the floor at the same time.

Point guards don't have to shoot at all if they are good enough. If a PG scores 6-8 ppg but has 6 assists and 4 rebounds and 1 TO, chances are he is doing his job well.

Reactions: ufo33
Worst transition defense I have ever seen. Williams was in la la land getting back on defense.
I liked his offense though.
I yelled at him during the Eastern Washington game IU lost. He was just moving slowly or even standing still as his man ran right by him and went in for a lay up. The other fans looked at me with approval whereas my daughter was very embarrassed.

I yelled at him during the Eastern Washington game IU lost. He was just moving slowly or even standing still as his man ran right by him and went in for a lay up. The other fans looked at me with approval whereas my daughter was very embarrassed.

That was a very memorable game. Ugh. Crean could NOT get his guys to defend the pick and roll.

Miller is clearly working hard on the recruiting trail. He has been keying on high level talent, less heralded up and comers, and local Hoosier stars. A lot depends on how this 2020 class fills out and he has shown it.

Miller is clearly working hard on the recruiting trail. He has been keying on high level talent, less heralded up and comers, and local Hoosier stars. A lot depends on how this 2020 class fills out and he has shown it.

Agreed.....I am very surprised at how hard he is working this class.........and how much he wants a PG in this class......we're not searching high & low for a big, other than Garcia, but we're turning over the stones on the PGs. Makes me think he's less than thrilled with the thought of having Al D. as bask-up PG until (hopefully) Lander comes along.

edit---I'd like to keep a list of those 2020 players we are actively recruiting who we seem to have a legit shot at. I want to limit it to those with offers, not just interest. As far as I can tell, right now it looks like this:

--- Caleb Love......6-3.....MO....... 26 on 247; 32 on Rivals...cancelled visit
--- Zach Loveday.......7-0....OH........73/69......IU no longer involved
--- Trey Galloway......6-5....IN..........123/NR....commit to IU
--- Anthony Leal.......6-5....IN...........115/112...commit to IU
--- Matt Cross......6-7......MASS.......89/79......commited to Miami
--- Dawson Garcia......6'11"....MN......23/38
--- RJ Davis........5'11"......NY....102/104
--- DJ Steward......6'3".....ILL.....31/25
--- Hassan Diarra...6'2"...CT.......78/71
---Jalen Bridges.....6'7"...WV......81/92......committed to W.V.
---Jaemyn Brakefield....6'8"...WV...53/33....IU not in final 10
---Jordan Geronimo....6'5"....NH...NR/NR....commit to IU
---Javonte Brown-Ferguson...6'11"....MD/CAN...NR/NR (will likely reclass. to '20)
---Carter Whitt....6'3".....NC......48/44 (May classify to '20)
---Andre Curbelo....6'0"....NY......66/45

The heights are as listed by Rivals/247

Here are two others that have offers from IU, but don't seem too interested:

1. Isaiah Jackson......6'9".........OH
2. Nimari Burnett.......6'3".......CA
3. Andre Jackson......6'6"........NY

If there are any other IU offers how there are 2020, let me know. I'll keep the thread updated when people drop out or are added.

Per a guy on the hsn site, Love cancelled his visit......if so, we are down to 5 pg prospects, Brown-Ferguson & Garcia as real possibilities for 2020

ADVERTISEMENT