ADVERTISEMENT

Totally unacceptable…

In year 7, we can't have another poor or mediocre record and Allen still remain coach.
The talent on this team says they should be better this year despite the very tough schedule. I am glad to see coach Allen bringing more speed and players with shiftiness in and I hope to see it bring more offense and scoring this year.

It will be fun if the D front can disrupt offenses and get after the QB. Our ST will have dangerous returners and we could see more TDs from that group.

I sure don't expect mediocre play from this team with the changes of Coach Bostad in charge of the OL, the talent on the offense, Coach G run the safeties and defense and the special teams that can be special again.

In year 7, we can't have another poor or mediocre record and Allen still remain coach.
With the buyout, I think there could easily be an 8th season for Coach Allen, even if we continue to struggle this season, as most of us expect we will given the talent and experience issues. Don’t know if that will be the case but I think he’s far more likely than not to get the 2024 season to make things happen.

Reactions: vesuvius13
With the buyout, I think there could easily be an 8th season for Coach Allen, even if we continue to struggle this season, as most of us expect we will given the talent and experience issues. Don’t know if that will be the case but I think he’s far more likely than not to get the 2024 season to make things happen.
I think if he falls on his face this year, he would be open to negotiating the buyout clause, if he's a man of honor - and I believe he is.

I think if he falls on his face this year, he would be open to negotiating the buyout clause, if he's a man of honor - and I believe he is.
I'm willing to cut him quite a bit of slack this Fall if we're competitive on the field and not just laying down out there...

We've got our annual top 10 in the country toughest schedule (and that's not hyperbole)...

We open with "the" o$u...,meet "the Ville" up at Lucas Oil as an out of conference tune up..., and pick up WI here and IL there from the West, while visiting p u for The Bucket (and their new staff is better man for man than their last group across the board up there)... It's gonna be tough sledding... Not saying it can't be done but the schedule is daunting...

I think it’s as much about competitiveness as it is about record. If we begin to show that we can play with most teams, I think that should be the key determinant for keeping him. If not, I’m not sure of the case to be made to continue. Not sure why he would negotiate a buyout, since he’s contractually bound. His honor is admirable, but he has a contract for a reason.

I'm willing to cut him quite a bit of slack this Fall if we're competitive on the field and not just laying down out there...

We've got our annual top 10 in the country toughest schedule (and that's not hyperbole)...

We open with "the" o$u...,meet "the Ville" up at Lucas Oil as an out of conference tune up..., and pick up WI here and IL there from the West, while visiting p u for The Bucket (and their new staff is better man for man than their last group across the board up there)... It's gonna be tough sledding... Not saying it can't be done but the schedule is daunting...
I would expect the Louisville game to be a toss-up, with Brohm starting new there. We've played him many times before - we know how he coaches. They will be playing their 3rd game under him, so I don't expect them to be up to speed with Brohm's system. This is a must-win game for us, or at the very least, a nail-biter down to the end. We've never played well at LOS, though.

The other 2 OoC games should be wins.

Wisconsin, new coach and a home game - expected win, imo.

PU - new coach. Expected win.

It's not too much to expect at least 1 win against Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois.

That's 5 wins without having to beat Louisville, which I think we should. If we can beat them and go 2 for 3 against Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois, that's 7 wins.

Those are not unreasonable expectations for a coach in year 7.

Last edited:
I think it’s as much about competitiveness as it is about record. If we begin to show that we can play with most teams, I think that should be the key determinant for keeping him. If not, I’m not sure of the case to be made to continue. Not sure why he would negotiate a buyout, since he’s contractually bound. His honor is admirable, but he has a contract for a reason.
I guess your definition of honor is different than mine.

'Competitiveness' is great when we're playing O$U, Michigan, and Penn State.

All other teams should be potential wins and competitiveness is a requirement.

I would expect the Louisville game to be a toss-up, with Brohm starting new there. We've played him many times before - we know how he coaches. They will be playing their 3rd game under him, so I don't expect them to be up to speed with Brohm's system. This is a must-win game for us, or at the very least, a nail-biter down to the end. We've never played well at LOS, though.

The other 2 OOO games should be wins.

It's not too much to expect at least 1 win against Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois.

That's 5 wins without having to beat Louisville, which I think we should. If we can beat them and go 2 for 3 against Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois, that's 7 wins.

Forgot Michigan State at home - potential 8 win season.

But... UFA's are the first to get cut if it comes down to keeping a drafted player or the UFA... If, at best, the UFA is equal or not significantly better than the drafted player the drafted player gets the benefit of the doubt and the UFA's get cut loose. Teams feel they have much more invested in draft picks and will take the year or two that it might take to develop those players... UFA's, rarely.
Hendershot didn't get cut.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13
I guess your definition of honor is different than mine.

'Competitiveness' is great when we're playing O$U, Michigan, and Penn State.

All other teams should be potential wins and competitiveness is a requirement.
Our roster and experience level are huge impediments, though. Five wins will be difficult. As for honor, living by one’s agreement and word seems like an example of honorable conduct.

Our roster and experience level are huge impediments, though. Five wins will be difficult. As for honor, living by one’s agreement and word seems like an example of honorable conduct.
Taking money for not fulfilling expectations is not honorable to me. You adhere to the letter of the law, rather than the spirit.

As I said, our definitions are different.

Taking money for not fulfilling expectations is not honorable to me. You adhere to the letter of the law, rather than the spirit.

As I said, our definitions are different.
I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive, but TA isn’t voluntarily walking away from his deal, and that has nothing to do with honor.

Last edited:

The other 2 OOO games should be wins.

Brohm is 4-1 in his five Power Five contests vs IU. The one loss was in double overtime. Louisville is coming off an 8-5 season with a bowl win.
Your optimism is admirable, but I think after you do your homework you are likely to be hopeful you can remain in the game. As far as the Bucket game, I think the one common theme will be nobody knows what the 2023 Boilermaker team will be like. Portal football is a crapshoot IMHO.

Brohm is 4-1 in his five Power Five contests vs IU. The one loss was in double overtime. Louisville is coming off an 8-5 season with a bowl win.
Your optimism is admirable, but I think after you do your homework you are likely to be hopeful you can remain in the game. As far as the Bucket game, I think the one common theme will be nobody knows what the 2023 Boilermaker team will be like. Portal football is a crapshoot IMHO.
PU was lucky game was canceled in COVID year. PU lost a bunch a players this weekend to the portal also.

Capps post about the team looking worse is not about what is happening because Bell wanted them to be smaller. He ignores the COVID time where the S&C were very limited by the rules. He wants to blame them for not being big and doesn't read news, I guess, about Bell asking them to be smaller.

This schedule is very tough and fans need to understand how tough it is. I hope IU surprises teams with the speedy players and they many win games and pull off a big upset.

Reactions: jsenleo and 76-1
You know so much about Louisville - how many did they lose to graduation? How many went into the portal. Who has Brohm got from the portal. Who is their QB?

Sorry - 8-5 last year doesn't mean anything for this year. And IU was blowing PU out when our QB went down. 2 of PU wins were 1 TD wins. I'm not worried about playing against Brohm at all.

And I'll be glad to play Darrell Hazell II - looking forward to it.

PU was lucky game was canceled in COVID year. PU lost a bunch a players this weekend to the portal also.
de is talking out his ass again. He knows nothing about Louisville and what they have back or who the players are.

2.673 miles. AKA 4,641 yards.

That was Michael Penix's passing yardage at Washington last season. And he's coming back again this season at Washington!

Yes, the same guy who no one was sad to see leave Indiana because he just couldn't stay healthy. His old Hoosier offensive coordinator grabbed him from the scrap pile and stuck him in as a starting quarterback where he finished the season 11 - 2 and was the MVP of the Alamo bowl.

But nobody is focused on that because we've got a kid coming in this year who completed three passes last season for 37 yards. Brilliant!
But the Pac 12 isn't the B1G or SEC. One real hit this year and the guy goes down.

I am almost embarrassed that I have all that data...

Louisville was definitely a player in the portal this season as they signed a total of 20 players (11 OFF and 9 DEF).

OL loses 30% of their 2022 snaps. They do return their starting C (Bryan Hudson - 6'4" 305 - who graded really well at a 76.9 on 914 snaps) and two experienced OT's (Michael Gonzalez - 6'4" 305 - graded a 70.1 on 732 snaps and Renato Brown - 6'4" 315 - graded a 68.9 on 740 snaps).

LBs lose almost 50% of their 2022 snaps.

Key OFF Losses
Tyler Hudson WR. 725 snaps. Highest graded offensive player. Graduated.
Tiyon Evans HB. 199 snaps. #2 on depth chart. Graded a 73.9 overall. Grad.
Trevion Cooley HB. 153 snaps. #3 on depth chart. Graded a 73.0 overall. XFR to Georgia Tech
Luke Kandra OG. 316 snaps. Second highest graded OL. Graded a 71.9 overall. XFR Cincinnati.
Malik Cunningham QB. 558 snaps. Graded a 71.4 overall. Graduated.

Key OFF Portal Recruits
4 Tackles. Eric Miller Grad from Purpoo. 961 snaps. Graded a 55.4 overall.
Vincent Lumia RSR from Duquesne. 727 snaps. 77.2 overall.
Willie Tyler JR from Rutgers. 564 snaps. 61.7 overall.
Jack Plummer GR QB from Cal. 6'5" 212. 798 snaps and graded a 78.4.
Jamari Thrash SR WR from GA State. 6'0" 180. 874 snaps. Graded a 80.1

Key DEF Losses
Yasir Abdullah EDGE. 742 snaps. Highest graded defensive player. 84.2
YaYa Diaby EDGE. 480 snaps. Graded a 74.2.
MoMo Sanogo LB. 718 snaps. Graded a 67.8
Dorian Jones LB. 223 snaps. Graded a 67.7. XFR to Cincinnati.
Monty Montgomery LB. 593 snaps. Graded a 67.4. XFR to Ole Miss.

Key DEF Portal Recruits
Storm Duck RSR CB from Penn St. 6'1" 200. 801 snaps. Graded a 68.0
Cam Kelly RSR S from Viginia. 6'2" 210. 785 snaps. Graded a 58.5.
Devin Neal SR S from Baylor. 6'0" 192. 358 snaps. Graded a 68.4

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure that's the way it went. I believe most here thought MP was broken. He gave IU all he had, but he had paid a huge price in doing so. His former OC didn't just "stick him in as the starting QB." He rebuilt him first. Probably magic that TA and staff don't know anything about. It was time for MP to try something else and now he's reaping the rewards. I'm very happy for him and love to watch those late night games when he's out there wheeling and dealing.
IMO folks are over-thinking the Penix situation: at U-Dub he had a competent and healthy P5 offensive line in front of him

I am almost emberassed that I have all that data...

Louisville was definitely a player in the portal this season as they signed a total of 20 players (11 OFF and 9 DEF).

OL loses 30% of their 2022 snaps. They do return their starting C (Bryan Hudson - 6'4" 305 - who graded really well at a 76.9 on 914 snaps) and two experienced OT's (Michael Gonzalez - 6'4" 305 - graded a 70.1 on 732 snaps and Renato Brown - 6'4" 315 - graded a 68.9 on 740 snaps).

Key OFF Losses
Tyler Hudson WR. 725 snaps. Highest graded offensive player. Graduated.
Tiyon Evans HB. 199 snaps. #2 on depth chart. Graded a 73.9 overall. Grad.
Trevion Cooley HB. 153 snaps. #3 on depth chart. Graded a 73.0 overall. XFR to Georgia Tech
Luke Kandra OG. 316 snaps. Second highest graded OL. Graded a 71.9 overall. XFR Cincinnati.
Malik Cunningham QB. 558 snaps. Graded a 71.4 overall. Graduated.

Key OFF Portal Recruits
4 Tackles. Eric Miller Grad from Purpoo. 961 snaps. Graded a 55.4 overall.
Vincent Lumia RSR from Duquesne. 727 snaps. 77.2 overall.
Willie Tyler JR from Rutgers. 564 snaps. 61.7 overall.
Jack Plummer GR QB from Cal. 6'5" 212. 798 snaps and graded a 78.4.
Jamari Thrash SR WR from GA State. 6'0" 180. 874 snaps. Graded a 80.1

Key DEF Losses
Yasir Abdullah EDGE. 742 snaps. Highest graded defensive player. 84.2
YaYa Diaby EDGE. 480 snaps. Graded a 74.2.
MoMo Sanogo LB. 718 snaps. Graded a 67.8
Dorian Jones LB. 223 snaps. Graded a 67.7. XFR to Cincinnati.
Monty Montgomery LB. 593 snaps. Graded a 67.4. XFR to Ole Miss.

Key DEF Portal Recruits
Storm Duck RSR CB from Penn St. 6'1" 200. 801 snaps. Graded a 68.0
Cam Kelly RSR S from Viginia. 6'2" 210. 785 snaps. Graded a 58.5.
Devin Neal SR S from Baylor. 6'0" 192. 358 snaps. Graded a 68.4
Forgot they got Plummer. He'll probably thrive under Brohm.

Boy, they lost a lot on Defense - helps us tremendously. 3 LBs and 2 EDGEs - Lucas could run wild outside.

I'm impressed with all the stats you post - you're a real asset to the board!

He was the first qb to have a winning record for his career here and some on this board couldn't wait to see him move on. Look what we got once he left.

We don't have the smartest fans around here.
People who are happy with 4-5 win seasons can’t see that any QB with MP level raw talent that we manage to land at IU has to be given all the leeway we can muster! TA had three more years in the bag (now 2) so he could have afforded to risk another year with MP.

I still wish DM was a QB and I hope Jackson is given every opportunity we can get him.

One of these “low floor but high ceiling” guys breaking through like MP did is our only chance.

CKW for all his faults understood that part of it well!

People who are happy with 4-5 win seasons can’t see that any QB with MP level raw talent that we manage to land at IU has to be given all the leeway we can muster! TA had three more years in the bag (now 2) so he could have afforded to risk another year with MP.

I still wish DM was a QB and I hope Jackson is given every opportunity we can get him.

One of these “low floor but high ceiling” guys breaking through like MP did is our only chance.

CKW for all his faults understood that part of it well!
Peyton Ramsey did pretty well for us and he was low-floor medium ceiling. I'd take another one of him.

You know so much about Louisville - how many did they lose to graduation? How many went into the portal. Who has Brohm got from the portal. Who is their QB?

Sorry - 8-5 last year doesn't mean anything for this year. And IU was blowing PU out when our QB went down. 2 of PU wins were 1 TD wins. I'm not worried about playing against Brohm at all.

And I'll be glad to play Darrell Hazell II - looking forward to it.
LOL. We were “blowing PU out” 7-3 when Dex got hurt.

Reactions: RegionHoosiers
You evidently weren't there. We were driving for another TD and PU's offense was awful.

Sorry if I dissed your Boilers, but IU was clearly in control of that game.
Not my Boilers, and I was just calling out your obvious inaccuracy. Go actually watch and you’ll see what you missed.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I'd say 5 wins is the absolute minimum number of wins to keep the Allen train going. Anything under 5 and he's a dead man walking, whether he actually is coaching in 2024 or not.
If 5 wins can keep Allen in his job then IU nation needs to drop the pretense of caring about football and just let him stay until he can collect social security. It is tiring year after year that the best we hope for with IU football is enough cupcakes to get to 6-6 and the Grade 8 Nut and Bolt Bowl in McKeesport, PA.

Coach Allen gets a $100,000 raise and an additional year added to his contract if he makes a bowl game(s). An amazing reward for mediocrity.

I still have not heard who the powers were at Indiana that signed off on this contract. I find it hard to believe that an equipment manager turned athletic director could do that on his own.

The other 2 OoC games should be wins.

Allen has not figured out Brohm in tbe 6 seasons (well 5 with COVID) that they have gone head to head.
I think that game could be the nail in Allen’s coffin if he loses. If he cannot win at Indy against a new coach at a new school, he will have lost any support he will have in the state. That is a make or break game for his tenure here.

Allen has not figured out Brohm in tbe 6 seasons (well 5 with COVID) that they have gone head to head.
I think that game could be the nail in Allen’s coffin if he loses. If he cannot win at Indy against a new coach at a new school, he will have lost any support he will have in the state. That is a make or break game for his tenure here.
Dont really agree that the UL game is a referendum on Coach Allen. Theres really no reason we shouldn’t be highly competitive in that and most of our games, though we have a thin margin for error based on the composition of the team. I think the decision year for Coach Allen is at least a year out, though..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT