ADVERTISEMENT

Totally unacceptable…

Part of it is good assistant coaches at IU leave to be HC. Money would bring in better coaches even if they don't stay. Look at what has happened at NW once their DC and OL coaches left and NIL started. It is tough for non traditional power schools to bring in top coaches and hold on to them. We have seen even Clemson struggle when losing their DC and OC; the difference is they go from National Champions to a team going 8-5 while still bringing in top talent.
I am genuinely curious why we do not promote Bloomington more aggressively. We are so impressed with its location, the people, its restaurants, etc. It is literally one of the best college towns in the country IMO.

Last edited:
I am genuinely curious why we do not promote Bloomington more aggressively. We are so impressed with the its location, the people, its restaurants, etc. It is literally one of the best college towns in the country IMO.
Bloomington and Monroe co. are extremely backward, if you
are not a tree hugger then get out of town. Remember when
Bloomington opposed I69?

I am genuinely curious why we do not promote Bloomington more aggressively. We are so impressed with the its location, the people, its restaurants, etc. It is literally one of the best college towns in the country IMO.
We should as described above use the tremendous town, facilities, restaurants and people to create multi level events around less attractive games.

I was only in Bloomington for four semesters and that included summer school. My summer in Bloomington was my favorite time. No lines. No traffic. A football weekend is lines at restaurants, lines at the bathroom, traffic jams, no parking and if you want to experience solitude you have to wait for the second half of the football game.

Caught lightning in a bottle during Covid. IU football stinks.
It was cruel to IU fans…”fool’s gold” the miners say. Other teams all dismiss the Covid season as not counting except IU. Reality set in before the downtown parade could even be scheduled. It defines the word “aberration”. I still can’t believe the last game of the season was the only Covid cancellation for either IU or Purdue. Who was behind that call-off? I mean, what were the chances of staying clean that long and then “Bingo!”, our most anticipated game of the season, at home!

The delayed Penn State call was one of the most excitingly tense moments in IU football since the Bucket game in ‘67.

IU needs to get back to a winning season this year and stop the bitching about IUFB. Life will get tougher once USC and UCLA join the league. If coach Allen can't get IU winning again then IU needs to step out of the box and bring in a bigger name for football. I still think coach Allen can get it done but I will accept replacing him if he can't.

You forget our best players were injured during the year or Mullen injured and rusty coming back so who did you expect to get drafted? I hope no one expected an OL man to be drafted with coach Hiller coaching them. I would bet we have one drafted this coming year but we will have to wait and see.
Yes Cam Jones missed too many games last fall, for example. Bedford for comeback POY.

I was only in Bloomington for four semesters and that included summer school. My summer in Bloomington was my favorite time. No lines. No traffic. A football weekend is lines at restaurants, lines at the bathroom, traffic jams, no parking and if you want to experience solitude you have to wait for the second half of the football game.
Summers in Bloomington are heaven.

I could kick myself for only spending one summer there.

You forget our best players were injured during the year or Mullen injured and rusty coming back so who did you expect to get drafted? I hope no one expected an OL man to be drafted with coach Hiller coaching them. I would bet we have one drafted this coming year but we will have to wait and see.
Would love to know what Bostad really thinks about our OL now that
he has had an up close and personal look.

Would love to know what Bostad really thinks about our OL now that
he has had an up close and personal look.
I was thinking the same thing. Probably something like "What have I got myself into? lol

Not really. Probably more like "I can't believe these guys don't know this.....".

I just hope he and Bell have a symbiotic relationship. We've got to have a running game to be a decent team.

I was thinking the same thing. Probably something like "What have I got myself into? lol

Not really. Probably more like "I can't believe these guys don't know this.....".

I just hope he and Bell have a symbiotic relationship. We've got to have a running game to be a decent team.
Yes, somebody needs to run besides the QB for his life.

I hope Bostad is not thinking, you have got to be
kidding.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I am genuinely curious why we do not promote Bloomington more aggressively. We are so impressed with its location, the people, its restaurants, etc. It is literally one of the best college towns in the country IMO.
Bloomington doesn’t even promote Bloomington. The people here don’t want any growth- economic or population. They want Mayberry, North Carolina.

1982 was my summer in Bloomington. Elvin Bishop at The Bluebird was a great show,. Ran my first 10K in Martinsville. The roads were relatively empty in the summer and we had a running group made up of classmates that would run in the middle of the empty streets.

Last edited:
Bloomington and Monroe co. are extremely backward, if you
are not a tree hugger then get out of town. Remember when
Bloomington opposed I69?
I-69 was feared for becoming the Highway to Dante’s Inferno, bringing in an endless caravan of Beverly hillbillies, when not outside agitators from Mexico. Its construction was going to throw the red-boobied salamander below critical mass numbers necessary to assure progeny into future generations with destruction of its mating ground in the acidic waters of karst topography. I remember hearing the debates well from atop my perch in “Dexter Whitehead”, a giant white oak within the Hoosier National Forest.

Our roster and experience level are huge impediments, though. Five wins will be difficult. As for honor, living by one’s agreement and word seems like an example of honorable conduct.

Kudos for Tom Allen's agent in so successfully fleecing Indiana University with the contract extension and raise. All Tom Allen has to do is show up for work on a regular basis for an acceptable period of time. Performance is not a requirement.

I can't recall any other football program that time and time again can say "we're limited in what we can run because the quarterback does not know the plays."

CTA was paid approximately $450,000 in April to organize a touch football game. And then he wouldn't tell the truth about it to "Hoosier Nation". He advertised the spring game as a scrimmage. The reality is it was a picnic. Not really a profiles in courage moment.

In my opinion it would be much more honorable to make the tough personnel decisions that are in the best interest of the program as opposed to decisions that are the most comfortable to make as a result of personal relationships. That is why CTA is making $5 million bucks a year. If he made the tough decisions that would be honorable.

Kudos for Tom Allen's agent in so successfully fleecing Indiana University with the contract extension and raise. All Tom Allen has to do is show up for work on a regular basis for an acceptable period of time. Performance is not a requirement.

I can't recall any other football program that time and time again can say "we're limited in what we can run because the quarterback does not know the plays."

CTA was paid approximately $450,000 in April to organize a touch football game. And then he wouldn't tell the truth about it to "Hoosier Nation". He advertised the spring game as a scrimmage. The reality is it was a picnic. Not really a profiles in courage moment.

In my opinion it would be much more honorable to make the tough personnel decisions that are in the best interest of the program as opposed to decisions that are the most comfortable to make as a result of personal relationships. That is why CTA is making $5 million bucks a year. If he made the tough decisions that would be honorable.
Honor and competence aren’t the same, they’re often not linked in the same individual, nor are they mutually exclusive. And the next time you look at a coach’s contract, flip through to the section on “Performance”. You would obviously be surprised with the content.

PS . . . I went to summer school one year. IU and Bloomington were awesome during those months.

Last edited:

You clearly weren’t there and clearly didn’t read the advance information about the event.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I-69 was feared for becoming the Highway to Dante’s Inferno, bringing in an endless caravan of Beverly hillbillies, when not outside agitators from Mexico. Its construction was going to throw the red-boobied salamander below critical mass numbers necessary to assure progeny into future generations with destruction of its mating ground in the acidic waters of karst topography. I remember hearing the debates well from atop my perch in “Dexter Whitehead”, a giant white oak within the Hoosier National Forest.
It was and is the road to nowhere.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Well, it does go from the north to Bloomington, so
guess you are correct.
No, nothing to do with Btown…the issue was and is building that monstrosity to ****ing Evansville that earned the project a spot on “the fleecing of America” yeats ago.

It was a a senseless project that took far too long in part because of some poor choices Mitch Daniels made.

The true dingrube here is just triggered.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23
Bloomington doesn’t even promote Bloomington. The people here don’t want any growth- economic or population. They want Mayberry, North Carolina.

The dichotomy between the locals and the "temporary" student voters is the problem...

Locals want... Mayberry but are willing to grow IU.

The "Temps" want... San Francisco, and they want to sh*t on everything....

The Temps are the real problem... not the locals.

The dichotomy between the locals and the "temporary" student voters is the problem...

Locals want... Mayberry but are willing to grow IU.

The "Temps" want... San Francisco, and they want to sh*t on everything....

The Temps are the real problem... not the locals.
When the University decided to change their approach to admissions, things on campus and in Bloomington changed dramatically, without question. The yokels will always fight progress, like I-69, because change and expansion scares them. The challenge is the influx of people who come to IU with no real attachment to the school, graduate four years later, and never return. They like their time and the relatively inexpensive cost to attend, but they never develop roots, like many of us did. Their finger prints and footprints are everywhere, but they don’t care nearly as much for the place.

When the University decided to change their approach to admissions, things on campus and in Bloomington changed dramatically, without question. The yokels will always fight progress, like I-69, because change and expansion scares them. The challenge is the influx of people who come to IU with no real attachment to the school, graduate four years later, and never return. They like their time and the relatively inexpensive cost to attend, but they never develop roots, like many of us did. Their finger prints and footprints are everywhere, but they don’t care nearly as much for the place.
So what is this change in approach to admissions you allude to? When did it change and what things dramatically changed as a result of this decision? Was it the acceptance of more East Coast applicants? I know locals don't like the high end apartments downtown for what I've heard described as catering to the East Coast rich kids. Was it the acceptance of more Asian students...out of state, higher tuition, that sort of thing?

So what is this change in approach to admissions you allude to? When did it change and what things dramatically changed as a result of this decision? Was it the acceptance of more East Coast applicants? I know locals don't like the high end apartments downtown for what I've heard described as catering to the East Coast rich kids. Was it the acceptance of more Asian students...out of state, higher tuition, that sort of thing?
When state funding began to be curtailed, we (and more than a few other schools) realized that aggressive recruiting of out of state kids would be necessary (and that’s what we did, aided greatly by certain admissions processes geared toward attracting students from other regions). Admissions for Indiana kids became more competitive, while out of staters had an easier road in. When it began to occur in earnest, the change in culture and atmosphere was evident. Not saying it’s good or bad, but the change was unmistakeable, and you see it all over Bloomington.

When state funding began to be curtailed, we (and more than a few other schools) realized that aggressive recruiting of out of state kids would be necessary (and that’s what we did, aided greatly by certain admissions processes geared toward attracting students from other regions). Admissions for Indiana kids became more competitive, while out of staters had an easier road in. When it began to occur in earnest, the change in culture and atmosphere was evident. Not saying it’s good or bad, but the change was unmistakeable, and you see it all over Bloomington.
Likewise, a case could probably be made for a similar scenario happening on a national scale of not just the environment of college campuses, but regarding the native citizens of our country, with greater acceptance of "outsiders" and our more open border policies.

Likewise, a case could probably be made for a similar scenario happening on a national scale of not just the environment of college campuses, but regarding the native citizens of our country, with greater acceptance of "outsiders" and our more open border policies.
I think that’s overwhelmingly an apple v. an orange, with the former an example of actively attracting new students while the latter is much more about an ever-increasing demand to “attend”, coupled with a decades long history of lax enforcement. I suppose one could creat an analog, but the similarities are greatly outpaced by the differences.

Last edited:
Worst mistake was starting Penix against Iowa before he was mentally ready. Took a blow to his confidence from which he could never recover.

No players drafted in any single year is not a big deal. Have to look at a longer period of time before anything is relevant.

Worst mistake was starting Penix against Iowa before he was mentally ready. Took a blow to his confidence from which he could never recover.

No players drafted in any single year is not a big deal. Have to look at a longer period of time before anything is relevant.
The entire team and coaching staff were not mentally ready for that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT