ADVERTISEMENT

Totally unacceptable…

Tell Pete Bootyjudge it's a racist highway.
I don’t know about racist, but it was unnecessary and should have been paid for by the town of Evansville.

Cost IU millions in FB revenue and countless hours of frustration for those of us that actually go sporting events in Btown.

The Fleecing of America program jumped all over it.

Worst mistake was starting Penix against Iowa before he was mentally ready. Took a blow to his confidence from which he could never recover.

No players drafted in any single year is not a big deal. Have to look at a longer period of time before anything is relevant.
Correct on both points

Reactions: vesuvius13
Worst mistake was starting Penix against Iowa before he was mentally ready. Took a blow to his confidence from which he could never recover.

No players drafted in any single year is not a big deal. Have to look at a longer period of time before anything is relevant.
Where did you read or hear that he wasn’t mentally ready to go? I know that’s been rumored but there’s never been any credible source suggesting any truth to it. Go Hoosiers.

Where did you read or hear that he wasn’t mentally ready to go? I know that’s been rumored but there’s never been any credible source suggesting any truth to it. Go Hoosiers.
It seemed to be true based on how he played compared to the way he played previously. No real reports on it but based on the game it seemed that way.

I don’t know about racist, but it was unnecessary and should have been paid for by the town of Evansville.

Cost IU millions in FB revenue and countless hours of frustration for those of us that actually go sporting events in Btown.

The Fleecing of America program jumped all over it.
It's going to be great when it's completed.

It's going to be great when it's completed.
For whom?
Indy and Evansville were already connected for the seven people who needed to go there each year.

Spectacular waste and inconvenience. So many other higher infrastructure needs.

For whom?
Indy and Evansville were already connected for the seven people who needed to go there each year.

We will have to see if it is a waste as it is a long time project, not the build but the purpose. The issue was development of Southern Indiana with travel being easier from Indy. Whether our leaders foresaw the future correctly or not will be seen. It has been a boondoggle all around as opponents have done everything they can to stop it, companies have drug their feet on the build, and gov't hasn't been organized enough for this size of road building.

Reactions: DANC
We will have to see if it is a waste as it is a long time project, not the build but the purpose. The issue was development of Southern Indiana with travel being easier from Indy. Whether our leaders foresaw the future correctly or not will be seen. It has been a boondoggle all around as opponents have done everything they can to stop it, companies have drug their feet on the build, and gov't hasn't been organized enough for this size of road building.
Plenty of people fought against the EIHS from the time it was conceived 70+ years ago. Plenty of people whined when they finished I65 between Indy and Columbus, and did so as well when I69 went to Fort Wayne. It’s what they do. Commerce necessitates high speed roads, high speed roads enable and enhance commerce. People who are out in the world understand this. Now, back to football.

Last edited:
For whom?

For people driving to Bloomington from the north.

Progress, my man. Embrace it and stop being such an old fart.

It seemed to be true based on how he played compared to the way he played previously. No real reports on it but based on the game it seemed that way.
IMHO, our entire team was not mentally ready. Iowa punched us in the nose and we had no response. That entire summer and pre-season was a side show. CTA went on the speaking tour touting LEO, players read some pre-season rankings that filled their heads with delusions, more press over what our guys wore to the Big10 media day than actually building on the previous year. Deciding what uniform to wear during each game, etc. We did not stay humble and hungry. That all falls on the main guy. CTA lost that team before the season began.

IMHO, our entire team was not mentally ready. Iowa punched us in the nose and we had no response. That entire summer and pre-season was a side show. CTA went on the speaking tour touting LEO, players read some pre-season rankings that filled their heads with delusions, more press over what our guys wore to the Big10 media day than actually building on the previous year. Deciding what uniform to wear during each game, etc. We did not stay humble and hungry. That all falls on the main guy. CTA lost that team before the season began.
Couldn't agree more. And Iowa played like they were playing for the national championship - they were amp'd and ready to take it to us.

That's a pretty strong indictment and, sadly, based on what I saw, I wouldn't change a word of it.

For people driving to Bloomington from the north.

Progress, my man. Embrace it and stop being such an old fart.
If you read my posts I am not opposed to improvement to 37 from 465 to 46.

It is the rest of the boondoggle south that is criminal.

If you read my posts I am not opposed to improvement to 37 from 465 to 46.

It is the rest of the boondoggle south that is criminal.
It will take time to see if the Southern route brings need businesses or not, to determine if it is a boondoggle.

Last edited:
It will take time to see if the Southern route brings need businesses or not to determine if it is a boondoggle.
He's made up his mind. He's one of the tree huggers who didn't want to see I69 expanded.

You are right and it Iowa showed the weaknesses that existed in the coaching staff along with attitude of the players.

Worst mistake was starting Penix against Iowa before he was mentally ready. Took a blow to his confidence from which he could never recover while he was at IU.

FIFY . . . .

You are right and it Iowa showed the weaknesses that existed in the coaching staff along with attitude of the players.
The entire staff, starting with the head coach, was responsible, as was the team (we lacked leadership). I’m not sure we’ve fixed all of those issues but am hopeful we’re making progress. Go Hoosiers.

Fair amount of truth here..

The MP aspect was pretty clear. There are three components of a major injury recovery:

The physical repair and healing
The return to "game shape"
The mental aspect of being ready to stress the injured joint/muscle/etc...those first few big cuts.

MP appeared to most that he was not through stage three. He was hesitant at best and played distracted.

If I recall the Iowa nightmare correctly one of his two pick sixes went right through a receiver's hands and was intercepted by somebody playing 10 yards behind him and another touchdown was due to Reese Taylor giving up containment by ducking inside and looking like he had never played the position before - even in high school.

When the University decided to change their approach to admissions, things on campus and in Bloomington changed dramatically, without question. The yokels will always fight progress, like I-69, because change and expansion scares them. The challenge is the influx of people who come to IU with no real attachment to the school, graduate four years later, and never return. They like their time and the relatively inexpensive cost to attend, but they never develop roots, like many of us did. Their finger prints and footprints are everywhere, but they don’t care nearly as much for the place.
What was the change in the admission policy? I have always praised Indiana's policy of allowing pretty much everybody
in but that didn't mean you were accepted to a degree granting program. How one performs when they're 18 and 19 years old is a lot better indicator of one's potential than what they did when they were 14 and 15.

What was the change in the admission policy? I have always praised Indiana's policy of allowing pretty much everybody
in but that didn't mean you were accepted to a degree granting program. How one performs when they're 18 and 19 years old is a lot better indicator of one's potential than what they did when they were 14 and 15.
The only change in admissions standards was a toughening in general throughout the late 90s and 2000s. IU is now grouped as "more selective".

While IU has always been a very attractive destination for Illinois students who wanted the superior options of Kelley and Jacobs but may not have the money or scores for NW, IU has been more aggressive in recruiting the east coast...offering more scholarships etc for those that meet the same admissions recquirements as in state students.

IU now has approx 52% in state, 43% out of state and 5% international enrollment. By comparison Purdue...which is also "more selective" has 46% in state, 46% out of state and 7% international.

As state educational funding began to wane in Indiana, we needed to be more aggressive in recruiting out of state kids to generate sufficient tuition. That included aggressive outreach to the East and West Coasts, along with large metro areas where many kids couldn’t get into closer to home schools.. Our acceptance rate (roughly 85% of all applicants are accepted) is comparable to Iowa, MSU and UNL and is hard evidence of this change in direction. We are seen as a relative financial bargain, a safe and reliable admittance school, and one that offers a solid education and reputation as a Big Ten university. But our student profile and the manner in which we created that profile undeniably changed. It had to in the current educational environment.

Go Hoosiers.

Last edited:
Lol

This same BS narrative about these out of state students coming here because they couldn’t get into their local schools has been driveled on here by about five posters over the past three years

The first four no longer exist so this person is absolutely totally new and unrelated 😜

The only change in admissions standards was a toughening in general throughout the late 90s and 2000s. IU is now grouped as "more selective".

While IU has always been a very attractive destination for Illinois students who wanted the superior options of Kelley and Jacobs but may not have the money or scores for NW, IU has been more aggressive in recruiting the east coast...offering more scholarships etc for those that meet the same admissions recquirements as in state students.

IU now has approx 52% in state, 43% out of state and 5% international enrollment. By comparison Purdue...which is also "more selective" has 46% in state, 46% out of state and 7% international.
5% international seems low, even when I was there 20 years ago. But I was in business so maybe my perceptions weren't accurate for the school as a whole.

5% international seems low, even when I was there 20 years ago. But I was in business so maybe my perceptions weren't accurate for the school as a whole.
This sounds terrible, but international students seemed to stick out a bit more years ago than they do now. Actually, that doesn’t sound terrible, it sounds like we have progressed.

Btown is 5%. W Laffy is 7%

Not huge.

As state educational funding began to wane in Indiana, we needed to be more aggressive in recruiting out of state kids to generate sufficient tuition. That included aggressive outreach to the East and West Coasts, along with large metro areas where many kids couldn’t get into closer to home schools.. Our acceptance rate (roughly 85% of all applicants are accepted) is comparable to Iowa, MSU and UNL and is hard evidence of this change in direction. We are seen as a relative financial bargain, a safe and reliable admittance school, and one that offers a solid education and reputation as a Big Ten university. But our student profile and the manner in which we created that profile undeniably changed. It had to in the current educational environment.

Go Hoosiers.
“to generate sufficient tuition”

And therein lies the problem

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT