ADVERTISEMENT

Totally unacceptable…

I personally would take what Cam Jones got. He got a 15,000 dollar signing bonus and a $135,000 guaranteed contract as an undrafted free agent with the Kansas City Chiefs. Undrafted free agents sometimes make out better in the long run.

Disappointing for IU not to have anyone drafted but not the end of the world by any means.

I personally would take what Cam Jones got. He got a 15,000 dollar signing bonus and a $135,000 guaranteed contract as an undrafted free agent with the Kansas City Chiefs. Undrafted free agents sometimes make out better in the long run.

Disappointing for IU not to have anyone drafted but not the end of the world by any means.

But... UFA's are the first to get cut if it comes down to keeping a drafted player or the UFA... If, at best, the UFA is equal or not significantly better than the drafted player the drafted player gets the benefit of the doubt and the UFA's get cut loose. Teams feel they have much more invested in draft picks and will take the year or two that it might take to develop those players... UFA's, rarely.

If he makes the 53 man roster the league minimum is $750K.

• Wow
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I knew Kris Dielman's dad when I lived in Troy, Ohio. His dad unfortunately died prior to Kris's time at IU. Kris was an undrafted free agent that ended up eventually signing a multi-million contract prior to retiring before concussions caused him to not be able to be a father to his family.

I understand the difference but just saying a guaranteed first job of $150,000k with a chance to earn a $750,000k minimum is better than most coming out of IU as graduates.

I knew Kris Dielman's dad when I lived in Troy, Ohio. His dad unfortunately died prior to Kris's time at IU. Kris was an undrafted free agent that ended up eventually signing a multi-million contract prior to retiring before concussions caused him to not be able to be a father to his family.

I understand the difference but just saying a guaranteed first job of $150,000k with a chance to earn a $750,000k minimum is better than most coming out of IU as graduates.
Not to mention pension and insurance...just get 3 NFL seasons under your belt if at all possible.

But... UFA's are the first to get cut if it comes down to keeping a drafted player or the UFA... If, at best, the UFA is equal or not significantly better than the drafted player the drafted player gets the benefit of the doubt and the UFA's get cut loose. Teams feel they have much more invested in draft picks and will take the year or two that it might take to develop those players... UFA's, rarely.

You should look up how many of our guys were on NFL teams last year as UFAs.

It's more then you think it would be.

2.673 miles. AKA 4,641 yards.

That was Michael Penix's passing yardage at Washington last season. And he's coming back again this season at Washington!

Yes, the same guy who no one was sad to see leave Indiana because he just couldn't stay healthy. His old Hoosier offensive coordinator grabbed him from the scrap pile and stuck him in as a starting quarterback where he finished the season 11 - 2 and was the MVP of the Alamo bowl.

But nobody is focused on that because we've got a kid coming in this year who completed three passes last season for 37 yards. Brilliant!

Theres a complete lack of player development in the program. Most of these guys we are referring to reached their peak performance when Ballou was here and either plateaued or regressed under Wellman. CTA needs to expect more out of the S&T program considering what they are getting paid. I would give one of Ballou’s protégés a chance at this point as it is apparent that Wellman isn’t the answer

That was Michael Penix's passing yardage at Washington last season. And he's coming back again this season at Washington!

Yes, the same guy who no one was sad to see leave Indiana because he just couldn't stay healthy. His old Hoosier offensive coordinator grabbed him from the scrap pile and stuck him in as a starting quarterback where he finished the season 11 - 2 and was the MVP of the Alamo bowl.

But nobody is focused on that because we've got a kid coming in this year who completed three passes last season for 37 yards. Brilliant!
How should we be 'focused' on it? You think he would have done as well here as he did at UW?

Theres a complete lack of player development in the program. Most of these guys we are referring to reached their peak performance when Ballou was here and either plateaued or regressed under Wellman. CTA needs to expect more out of the S&T program considering what they are getting paid. I would give one of Ballou’s protégés a chance at this point as it is apparent that Wellman isn’t the answer
Being a newbie here…I am really interested in understanding this.

Would you mind sharing detailed examples of who regressed and exactly how they regressed?

It is okay he is just wrong and IU development is okay and I have seen some really nice improvement in several players since Wellman got here. I have been around forever and this year will be a lot better guage on whether that the combination of coaching and Wellman's staff are doing a decent job of development.

We are historically a 4 win team per season and always want better but let it play out and see what develops by this fall.

Reactions: IU73 and vesuvius13

I'm not entirely sure that's the way it went. I believe most here thought MP was broken. He gave IU all he had, but he had paid a huge price in doing so. His former OC didn't just "stick him in as the starting QB." He rebuilt him first. Probably magic that TA and staff don't know anything about. It was time for MP to try something else and now he's reaping the rewards. I'm very happy for him and love to watch those late night games when he's out there wheeling and dealing.

Yes, the same guy who no one was sad to see leave Indiana because he just couldn't stay healthy.

I was sad to see him leave ... I'll bet I'm not alone.

He was the first qb to have a winning record for his career here and some on this board couldn't wait to see him move on. Look what we got once he left.

We don't have the smartest fans around here.

Revisionist history.

No one was happy to see Penix leave and he was not on any scrap heap.

You can't make chicken pie out of chicken sh--

There were more then a few in this thread happy to see him leave
I took a lot of abuse for being disappointed about Penix leaving. Called me "drama" and that I needed a good corner to cry in.

But now everyone forgets how many people were happy to see him leave.

Now THAT is revisionist history @MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Being a newbie here…I am really interested in understanding this.

Would you mind sharing detailed examples of who regressed and exactly how they regressed?
Just off the top of my head:

Mullen, D. Matthews, J. Williams were all B1G in 2020 - all regressed and failed to reach their potential since

Fryftogle was another all conference guy in 20 that lost a step in 21

Caleb Jones looked slow and out of shape at IU but now looks transformed sine joining the Packers

Nobody on the oline seems to have developed physically

You can argue that D Elliott played his best ball in 20.

This years seniors were part of a good recruiting class - it is unreal that not one of them were drafted.

You can't make chicken pie out of chicken sh--
Caleb Jones seem to get worse as his career progressed. I think he was an honorable mention all Big ten is freshman season. And I remember reading somewhere that he graded out as the worst lineman on the team his senior year.

I remember he got picked for some senior showcase bowl game after the season was over. My thought was that maybe some scouts thought he was a victim of bad coaching. He ended up signing as a free agent with the Green Bay Packers and ended up on the taxi squad. But later in the season he made the 53-man roster for the Packers. Coaching can make a big difference. One can also get pretty creative with chicken salad.

Yes, the same guy who no one was sad to see leave Indiana because he just couldn't stay healthy.

I was sad to see him leave ... I'll bet I'm not alone.
I don't know any real fan that wanted him to leave, but I know I thought it was best for him.

Not happy about the circumstances at all. But who could blame him for following Deboer?

I don't know any real fan that wanted him to leave, but I know I thought it was best for him.

Not happy about the circumstances at all. But who could blame him for following Deboer?
MP was physically healed but not mentally ready to come back the last time...particularly with what he knew was an OL ill-equipped to protect him. If he were my son, I would have insisted he move on.

Bummer for the real IU fans.

Mullen, D. Matthews, J. Williams were all B1G in 2020 - all regressed and failed to reach their potential since

Caleb Jones looked slow and out of shape at IU but now looks transformed sine joining the Packers

This years seniors were part of a good recruiting class - it is unreal that not one of them were drafted.
Mullen was injured and as he progressed he was very good at the end of the year. Coach Bell wanted them lighter is the reason why the OL look undeveloped. Casey was injured and missed half the season so you can see why none were drafted.

Reactions: 76-1

Man...that's a lot for me to digest. If it's okay, I am going to take a little time to look into these. I started with Tiawan since that was the first name you listed. Here is what I found:

Rivals HS profile lists him at 155LBs. The 2019 IU roster lists him at 176. Pretty good progress from Ballou IMO. Tiawan had 1 pressure and 27 tackles. Allowing a completion ratio of 45% and 2 TDs. 10 PBUs (impressive). Honorable mention all B10.

Wellman arrives in 2020 and Tiawan is listed at 180LBs. Statistically, he improves as he has 5 QB pressures and 22 tackles (75 less snaps). His completion ratio was 46% and he again allowed only 2 TDs. 3 INTs and 5 PBUs. All Big10.

2021 is simply a wash as he only played 4 weeks against W Kentucky, Iowa, Cincinnati, and Idaho.

2022 Tiawan is listed again at 180 (probably his target weight). PFF rated his only below average games being Penn State and Cincinnati. For the season, he allowed a 60% completion rate for 8 TDs. He had 2 INTs and 6 PBUs. Statistically his least successful season.

I was not around in 2021...but something obviously happened that season. Could that have contributed to the increased completion rate against him in 2022? Was he being asked to do something different in 2022? (I am told yes).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any speed, explosiveness, body fat metrics to trend out. To me, those would be much more valuable in the context of this conversation.

Anyhow - I will keep digging on the other guys you mentioned. Maybe something will trend out.

Last edited:
Our defensive coordinator became head coach of South Alabama and the scheme changed enough that it hurt both Mullen and Williams. Mullen was injured most of the season in 2021 and was playing pretty well by the end of 2022. He was at his best when they had him being aggressive.

55 B1G players drafted by the NFL
13 of 14 B1G teams had someone drafted.
IU was the only B1G Football team without a single player picked in the NFL Draft. Sad
How is Tom Allen still the head Football coach position at IU?
The key to IUFB is no crowds
Last place B1G football teams do not draw crowds. A winless B1G football team is the key to no crowds.

Reactions: jsenleo
55 B1G players drafted by the NFL
13 of 14 B1G teams had someone drafted.
IU was the only B1G Football team without a single player picked in the NFL Draft. Sad
How is Tom Allen still the head Football coach position at IU?

Last place B1G football teams do not draw crowds. A winless B1G football team is the key to no crowds.
He's still head coach because IU gave him a ridiculous contract after a couple very good years that in retrospect seem to be attributable to the coordinators he had, which he should get credit for hiring. He should also take the heat for the poor hires that came after. If there isn't improvement this year hopefully a settlement can be reached or the next year will be a real shitshow, waiting for the buyout to become reasonable.

IU has shown that crowds will show up if the team is decent and has promise.

He's still head coach because IU gave him a ridiculous contract after a couple very good years that in retrospect seem to be attributable to the coordinators he had, which he should get credit for hiring. He should also take the heat for the poor hires that came after. If there isn't improvement this year hopefully a settlement can be reached or the next year will be a real shitshow, waiting for the buyout to become reasonable.

IU has shown that crowds will show up if the team is decent and has promise.
In year 7, we can't have another poor or mediocre record and Allen still remain coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT