ADVERTISEMENT

You give….

I think it's part of the reason they are struggling a little more in the conference this year:
I'm not sure that they are really struggling more than last year. They are only one game worse than last year at this point.

Looking at last year's schedule, up till this point they were 11-1 and they played the Big Ten ranked: 14, 11, 9 (L), 13, 10, 11, 4, 14, 6, 8, and 4. Only three games against teams in the top half of the Big Ten (and two of those were at home). The other teams they ended up losing to last year were ranked 2, 3, 3, and 6 (3 of those on the road).

So far in this year, they've played: 4 (L), 8, 5, 3, 6 (L), 12, 7, 8, 14, 13, and 4 (tomorrow, which I suspect will be a win, NW revenge game and NW is much worse on the road). So, 6 games against teams in the top half of the Big Ten. Their two losses are against #4 and #6 on the road. Sure, we are only halfway through the schedule, so those rankings may change, but I don't imagine it will change much from what I have seen so far this year.

So, Purdue had a much easier schedule on the front end last year.

While there certainly could be an upset in there, I suspect the only other games they could drop this year will be @Wisconsin (#1) and @Ill (#3). Even if they drop a random road game (@OSU?), that would still have them end up with the same record as last year and pretty equivalent losses.

Reactions: kkott
TBH they run Zoom left so he can dribble to his strong hand. If it gets stopped that’s when he struggles a bit. Not as much this year but he still does a bit.
He ends up looping back under the basket when he can’t create a shot or drop off. VJ3 used to do that a fair bit

I'm not sure that they are really struggling more than last year. They are only one game worse than last year at this point.

Looking at last year's schedule, up till this point they were 11-1 and they played the Big Ten ranked: 14, 11, 9 (L), 13, 10, 11, 4, 14, 6, 8, and 4. Only three games against teams in the top half of the Big Ten (and two of those were at home). The other teams they ended up losing to last year were ranked 2, 3, 3, and 6 (3 of those on the road).

So far in this year, they've played: 4 (L), 8, 5, 3, 6 (L), 12, 7, 8, 14, 13, and 4 (tomorrow, which I suspect will be a win, NW revenge game and NW is much worse on the road). So, 6 games against teams in the top half of the Big Ten. Their two losses are against #4 and #6 on the road. Sure, we are only halfway through the schedule, so those rankings may change, but I don't imagine it will change much from what I have seen so far this year.

So, Purdue had a much easier schedule on the front end last year.

While there certainly could be an upset in there, I suspect the only other games they could drop this year will be @Wisconsin (#1) and @Ill (#3). Even if they drop a random road game (@OSU?), that would still have them end up with the same record as last year and pretty equivalent losses.
No, but a year older and more experienced, and adding Jones and the others? This team should really be steam rolling folks and not lost to an NW or NB. Talent-wise, their only losses should come at WI, IL and maybe MSU if they got on a roll like they did vs Baylor. Heck, Rutgers came back and made a good game of it yesterday.

But, yes, last year, they had an epically easy schedule. It's why I think the regular season doesn't mean as much now, and like other conferences, I think the tournament champ is really the conference champ.

Reactions: Shuski
So why can PU beat Arizona, Tennessee, Marquette, Alabama, Illinois if they don’t have the guards?
I think tourney has always been a plague for PU but they have the talent to win it all this year
That same team can lose to Nebraska and Northwestern so what is the point. They had the talent before but a run of six games is tough on even the best team is tough. I just don't feel they are good enough to make that run and somebody will expose their weakness. I am not surprised that we disagree and that is fine. We have a couple of months until we find out about our opinions.

No, but a year older and more experienced, and adding Jones and the others? This team should really be steam rolling folks and not lost to an NW or NB. Talent-wise, their only losses should come at WI, IL and maybe MSU if they got on a roll like they did vs Baylor. Heck, Rutgers came back and made a good game of it yesterday.

But, yes, last year, they had an epically easy schedule. It's why I think the regular season doesn't mean as much now, and like other conferences, I think the tournament champ is really the conference champ.
Road games are very tough and they are both tournament teams

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
That same team can lose to Nebraska and Northwestern so what is the point. They had the talent before but a run of six games is tough on even the best team is tough. I just don't feel they are good enough to make that run and somebody will expose their weakness. I am not surprised that we disagree and that is fine. We have a couple of months until we find out about our opinions.
Every team in the top 10 has lost so yes every team can lose a road game.
They obviously have the talent also to win it because they have beaten those top 10 teams. It will be interesting to see if they can do it this year but they have the team to do it

I somewhat agree, but Big Ten road games are HARD (Heck, any road game in any league really). Upsets happen. Wisconsin should have wiped the floor with Penn State but walked away with a loss. North Carolina lost to a sub-par (11-9) Villanova team at a neutral site. Tennessee lost to a decent-but-just-OK Mississippi State team. Ohio State, with all of their resources and top half of the Big Ten recruiting hasn't won a road game in over a year.

There's a reason the '76 team is almost always popping that cork before February 1.

So why can PU beat Arizona, Tennessee, Marquette, Alabama, Illinois if they don’t have the guards?
I think tourney has always been a plague for PU but they have the talent to win it all this year
The tournament is hard to win…six games against progressively better competition.

That said, you guys do have the pieces to get it done.

Talent-wise, their only losses should come at WI, IL and maybe MSU
...and just for the record, talent-wise, their last 5 recruiting classes in the Big Ten have been ranked : 11th, 6th, 8th, 6th, and 7th (as in Big Ten only, highest ranking overall was 30th in 2022).
Painter absolutely gets the most out of his players and they play their roles to near perfection, but there's alot of talent in this league that are better than Purdue players, at least on paper.

The tournament is hard to win…six games against progressively better competition.

That said, you guys do have the pieces to get it done.
lol I’m not a PU fan at all but it is much easier to like what they are doing as a program vs IU. Better coached, better culture, better recruited 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: salient43
...and just for the record, talent-wise, their last 5 recruiting classes in the Big Ten have been : 11th, 6th, 8th, 6th, and 7th.
Painter absolutely gets the most out of his players and they play their roles to near perfection, but there's alot of talent in this league that are better than Purdue players, at least on paper.
You recruit teams not individuals. We chase one and done kids who don’t win anything and painter recruits guys that will be program guys. Big difference. No doubt Iu has landed the better talent on paper. Heck just look at our starting lineups on paper. We start 3 5 stars

Reactions: CriticArisen
lol I’m not a PU fan at all but it is much easier to like what they are doing as a program vs IU. Better coached, better culture, better recruited 🤷🏼‍♂️
Wait you told us two weeks ago that you were switching.

Confused.

Gabe gets abused on D and he can't create off of the dribble. He is tenacious, but his physical limitations allows other teams to target him. I really like Gabe, but we I hope he never is our starting pg (we need to recruit over him).
He’s just a freshman!!

Yep been on here for 20 years, don’t ever go to PU board but I’m a PU fan. Got it.
Maybe I’m just not an apologist for how bad IU has screwed up its program and I can see that the guys in Black and gold are winning how IU used to win.
You are a troll and start more PU sh!t than anyone. If you like them so much then just go over there.

Every team in the top 10 has lost so yes every team can lose a road game.
They obviously have the talent also to win it because they have beaten those top 10 teams. It will be interesting to see if they can do it this year but they have the team to do
Looks like you hurt some feelings

Reactions: salient43
I personally don’t think the sky is falling there - get a new young coach who doesn’t run NBA sets. You have a ton of NIL money so convince Ware, Reneau and Mbacko to come back. You have a 5 star coming in so the front court will be legit. You have Cupps and grab a few older guards who can shoot the three and you’re back in business

I personally don’t think the sky is falling there - get a new young coach who doesn’t run NBA sets. You have a ton of NIL money so convince Ware, Reneau and Mbacko to come back. You have a 5 star coming in so the front court will be legit. You have Cupps and grab a few older guards who can shoot the three and you’re back in business
kinda makes sense.....not that easy to execute.

get a new young coach who doesn’t run NBA sets.
Wut? Do you get that every team basically runs the same plays or variations of the same plays with added wrinkles and options? NBA, FIBA, NCAA, AAU, HS, MS, Elementary ... there's no such thing as NBA sets, they are basketball plays, if anything new comes out it's copied down to the 6th grade level. Horns, zoom, floppy, etc.. Everyone is running the same shit including Purdue. There's no +5 magic wand plays or defenses it's the players running them and how well they execute that matters...

If you don't understand that ... here's an example. IUs starting lineup was as of last week 6th in overall efficiency nationally, just behind Purdue's starting 5 who IIRC was 3rd. So those sets are working when it has the correct players running them. As bench players are inserted the efficiency drops off the cliff .. so, the sets work when the players understand them and have the proficiency to run them.

Last edited:
Every coach runs “nba sets” difference in college and NbA is the rules. Defensive 3 seconds keeps the lane open for the ole’ defense the NBA plays

Reactions: T.M.P.
Yep been on here for 20 years, don’t ever go to PU board but I’m a PU fan. Got it.
Maybe I’m just not an apologist for how bad IU has screwed up its program and I can see that the guys in Black and gold are winning how IU used to win.
Yet Woody is 3-2 against those vaunted PU teams and culture you think is so much better than ours. See that is not opinion that is fact and even if we lose at Mackey the second game he will be 500 which is similar to Keady against Knight. If PU culture and teams are so much better I would think that Painters team would dominate IU. So our screwed-up program has played PU these teams that went in as a one and two seed Woody was three and one against Painter and last year at Mackey Jalen Hood made their number one seeded team look bad. It is a game it happens.

Wut? Do you get that every team basically runs the same plays or variations of the same plays with added wrinkles and options? NBA, FIBA, NCAA, AAU, HS ... there's no such thing as NBA sets, they are basketball plays, if anything new comes out it's copied down to the 6th grade level. Horns, zoom, floppy, etc.. Everyone is running the same shit including Purdue. There's no +5 magic wand plays or defenses it's the players running them and how well they execute that
Every coach runs “nba sets” difference in college and NbA is the rules. Defensive 3 seconds keeps the lane open for the ole’ defense the NBA plays
Ok how about I edit my suggestion to get a young coach with some freaking energy and fire in his belly

@SaratogaBoiler1 "energy and fire in his belly" how are you gauging this? Are you one of thousands of self claimed internet facial expression or body language experts?

Wut? Do you get that every team basically runs the same plays or variations of the same plays with added wrinkles and options? NBA, FIBA, NCAA, AAU, HS, MS, Elementary ... there's no such thing as NBA sets, they are basketball plays, if anything new comes out it's copied down to the 6th grade level. Horns, zoom, floppy, etc.. Everyone is running the same shit including Purdue. There's no +5 magic wand plays or defenses it's the players running them and how well they execute that matters...

If you don't understand that ... here's an example. IUs starting lineup was as of last week 6th in overall efficiency nationally, just behind Purdue's starting 5 who IIRC was 3rd. So those sets are working when it has the correct players running them. As bench players are inserted the efficiency drops off the cliff .. so, the sets work when the players understand them and have the proficiency to run them.
So Woody just needs to play the starters more often and IU wins almost all of its games? Is that what you're saying, then?

Something seems off with their efficiency somehow, because IU's pts per game is currently #158th in the country and their effective FG% is 101st. And, of course, we all know that they're 337th in 3pt shots made per game.

If that is all due to their reserves, then, yep, Woody better start playing his starters 40 mins per game...LOL

Exactly ... and fwiw I don't have any say in the matter so no sense concerning myself with it either. I'll just watch the team play and let the coach, coach. I'm just a fan, my job is to smoke up, watch and ridicule internet posters who say dumb things..
So all of my other suggestions were dumb as well? Get some freaking 3 point shooters in the portal and keep your front court? And you know exactly what I mean about Woody - I’m not an agist but get some young blood in there.

Reactions: salient43 and ulrey
So Woody just needs to play the starters more often and IU wins almost all of its games? Is that what you're saying, then?
Not exactly ....

That stat points to two things ... what Woody runs, works, when he has the correct players to run it.

Secondly the lineup combinations used when he goes to the bench isn't working at all. Or our bench players suck horribly. Or both ...

fwiw - IU has the 4th most efficient 5 man lineup in the nation currently, up from 6th last week. With Cupps at PG instead of X.

Link - Evan Miya

I was wrong about Purdue's starting lineup, it's more efficient with Gillis in. Their starters are 10th.

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerRevMatt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT