ADVERTISEMENT

You give….

Your the one that posted it
Not really: “He is a heady leader that sees the floor well with a good motor. His shot needs to develop. Think Braden Smith with a higher IQ” That’s pretty much exactly what you said.

So let’s see - Smith is an assist machine - I would say that qualifies as seeing the floor well, plays almost the entire game with the ball in his hands - I would say that qualifies as a good motor and great ball handler, oh and he rebounds and can actually shoot the three, pull up jumpers and drives to the basket. So yes although we cannot comprehend basketball with your professional eye, I was wondering how he’s Braden Smith - which would encompass all the skills I listed above - but with a higher hoops IQ?

I have always posted that I would be very interested to see what Matt could have accomplished with the many advantages IU offers. I like the guy.

Smith is in a good situation where he can feed Edey shoot some open threes and go after long rebounds. Cupps is not as good a shooter at this point but is a very high IQ guy and better ball handler better defender that could really help them.
Cupps is a better ball handler than Smith? Are you high? Smith is very clever with the ball. He gets by guys without being explosive. He sets up cutters and shooters with his penetration. Cupps does none of that. Ever.

Enough so that he might be first team all big ten. I’m actually embarrassed for posters who continue to try to compare Cupps to Smith. It would be like trying to compare Furst to Malik.
I'm not comparing the 2. I just don't think Smith is all that. He's the Trent Dilfer of BIG point guards.

I'm not comparing the 2. I just don't think Smith is all that. He's the Trent Dilfer of BIG point guards.

Well his stats are 12 points, 7 assists, 5.5 rebounds, shooting 45% from the field, 43% from 3, and 80% from the line - call him whatever you want.

Not really: “He is a heady leader that sees the floor well with a good motor. His shot needs to develop. Think Braden Smith with a higher IQ” That’s pretty much exactly what you said.

So let’s see - Smith is an assist machine - I would say that qualifies as seeing the floor well, plays almost the entire game with the ball in his hands - I would say that qualifies as a good motor and great ball handler, oh and he rebounds and can actually shoot the three, pull up jumpers and drives to the basket. So yes although we cannot comprehend basketball with your professional eye, I was wondering how he’s Braden Smith - which would encompass all the skills I listed above - but with a higher hoops IQ?
I've posted something to that effect before but it was told to me by a friend of Eric Biancardi, and he said Eric said something like "think Braden Smith but a better defender, not quite as good a shooter." I like Cupps, and everyone here is comparing him to a sophomore Braden Smith, who's gotten much better in his second year. Cupps is a worker and I think he'll improve in the offseason and I look forward to them battling over the next couple years.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Well his stats are 12 points, 7 assists, 5.5 rebounds, shooting 45% from the field, 43% from 3, and 80% from the line - call him whatever you want.
he's a really good PG, certainly one of the best in the B10. The AA talk is silly, imo. Why do you guys constantly need validation by running over here?

I've posted something to that effect before but it was told to me by a friend of Eric Biancardi, and he said Eric said something like "think Braden Smith but a better defender, not quite as good a shooter." I like Cupps, and everyone here is comparing him to a sophomore Braden Smith, who's gotten much better in his second year. Cupps is a worker and I think he'll improve in the offseason and I look forward to them battling over the next couple years.
I don't envision Cupps ever having the year that Smith is having this year. He is not a natural scorer (Smith is) and he can't create like Smith can. We could have had Smith if we only recruited him.

He has been good for sure. It will be interesting to see how well he does without Edey. Edey does make it a lot easier to get assists and open 3's and open driving lanes. But credit Smith for taking advantage of the situation.

I don't envision Cupps ever having the year that Smith is having this year. He is not a natural scorer (Smith is) and he can't create like Smith can. We could have had Smith if we only recruited him.
Gabe has not had the year Smith has in large part because he is in a completely different situation. Cupps would be great in that role. Good ball handling, nose for the ball, tenacious defender despite physical limitations, sees the floor, heady leader. Biggest issue is he is not as good a shooter at this point.

Isn’t it a hassle to create new user names after being banned?

How embittered does one have to be to drive you do this twice a week?

Are you the same guy creating accounts in my name and posting garbage on other IU sites?

Are you Kern County melting down on your site?

Talk about next level Rent Free

Inject this right into my veins…

Last edited:
Actually, I think Smith was way above average: he started the entire season for a team that won the B10 and was ranked #1 as a freshman. Cupps I'd say has been average as a freshman PG and what's had thrown at him. Bear in mind that Smith was handed the keys over the summer, while Cupps was expected to be a backup. Smith is also a SOPH and has the soon to be 2X National POY to toss it to. I think Cupps will be fine, and Smith has exceeded expectations and has become a really good PG. I think his #s will take a hit next year without ZE, but with the jump he made this year, he's going to keep improving. Cupps needs to step it up, but I think he's already a better defender. Doubt he'll ever be the shooter or offensive threat that Smith has turned into. A big miss for IU.
We should have taken him for sure. Said so last year.

Reactions: baileyiu
Gabe has not had the year Smith has in large part because he is in a completely different situation. Cupps would be great in that role. Good ball handling, nose for the ball, tenacious defender despite physical limitations, sees the floor, heady leader. Biggest issue is he is not as good a shooter at this point.
Gabe gets abused on D and he can't create off of the dribble. He is tenacious, but his physical limitations allows other teams to target him. I really like Gabe, but we I hope he never is our starting pg (we need to recruit over him).

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
No, he'll never be the shooter or offensive threat that Braden is, but I think he'll be a better defender... and, 2 things folks need to remember:

1) Braden is a soph and made a huge jump imo in his ability, style and strength from last year. Cupps needs to do this too. I think Braden will always be a better shooter and have better vision and distributor, but I think Cupps can improve his shooting/scoring and be a better distributor. Something I've noticed about our guards vs other good guards (UConn, Auburn and Smith, but many others) is that our guards withdraw from contact, whereas those guards sort of "ride out" the contact and either get by the defender or force a foul. Cupps may never see the floor as well as Braden, but he can improve in driving and handling contact, and get to the line, which will improve his scoring.

2) Smith was tabbed the starter and is playing with a very complete roster with the best college player out there and some good shooters. Cupps needs a more balanced roster, and he'll distribute better. I still think Smith's overall #s (not scoring, but %, assists and rebounds) will suffer without Edey next year. I think his scoring will increase some, but those other #s are going to dip imo.

Smith, imo, has been exceptional, and Cupps has been fine for a freshman but I don't think has the moxy/chip that Smith did, nor nearly as complete a roster.

Reactions: Shuski
Gabe gets abused on D and he can't create off of the dribble. He is tenacious, but his physical limitations allows other teams to target him. I really like Gabe, but we I hope he never is our starting pg (we need to recruit over him).
Cupps is a pretty solid defender for a freshman at his size. Yes, quick and/or physical guards can get by him, but he's already a better defender than Smith and is at least average compared to other B10 PGs.

Reactions: ulrey
Nothing to do with validation - see the thread - someone just needed to be held accountable for their nonsense
Thanks Sheriff. As I said, national recruiting analyst Eric Biancardi said much the same thing, so how 'bout u track him down Walker Texas Ranger?

You most certainly did! Pretty funny considering Smith is flirting with triple doubles and Cupps can’t shoot but you can’t make this stuff up!
Looks like a good working line Shepherd SB1. I am stuck with my daughters Cavapoos but they do think I walk on water. :)

Thanks Sheriff. As I said, national recruiting analyst Eric Biancardi said much the same thing, so how 'bout u track him down Walker Texas Ranger?
I want IU to be good again so if my son goes to business school there next year he can witness some good hoops

Nah. Smith is good. He will continue to be good after Edey leaves. And he'll be a 4 year point guard. Can't ask for more than that. You can win it all with Smith as your PG. I don't believe you can win it all with Loyer as your SG.

I think Cupps will be fine, and Smith has exceeded expectations and has become a really good PG. I think his #s will take a hit next year without ZE, but with the jump he made this year, he's going to keep improving.
If Purdue suffers another tournament meltdown (Please, Lord, one more time!) Zach Edey may well return for his Covid year. His physique doesn't fit the modern NBA game. He stands to make more attractive NIL money. He enjoys the adoration as BMOC (literally and figuratively). intelligence is found within his gene pool. He can take his Management degree to the grad level. He's a momma's boy. Momma's nest is in West Lafayette.

Dont believe what at all?
Purdue is good, and I believe that Wisconsin and they are going head-to-head for the conference. Smith is a good leader and has improved but I don't believe that PU has the team or the talent to win it all. I still think they will be exposed in the tournament by faster guards. After watching Indiana State in person, I believe their three guards would be a nightmare for Smith. PU and Edey would most likely be too much for them, but I would love to see that matchup in the tournament.

Painter is a solid coach and gets the best out of his teams but three straight flameouts in the tournament does not portend well for them to win six games in the tournament.

ISU is a good team and should be in the tourney this year. They may be the perfect team to pull a so-called seed upset in the tournament depending on the matchup. The Swope kid that transferred from Southern Indiana is a shooter and scorer that I would love on the IU team.

I do believe Smith is good and better than last year, but I still think he will be frustrated either by really quick guards or a big talented guard like Jalen Hood did last year. He and Edey make a good tandem although I believe that Jones is the glue that holds PU together. I would not compare Cupps to Smith at this point but just like you are happy with what Smith does for PU I will be happy to have Cupps for four years hopefully at IU.

Reactions: kkott
If Purdue suffers another tournament meltdown (Please, Lord, one more time!) Zach Edey may well return for his Covid year. His physique doesn't fit the modern NBA game. He stands to make more attractive NIL money. He enjoys the adoration as BMOC (literally and figuratively). intelligence is found within his gene pool. He can take his Management degree to the grad level. He's a momma's boy. Momma's nest is in West Lafayette.
He's projected as a first rounder now. His stock will never be higher. Regardless of what all you say: he's smart and the smart thing to do is leave this year and not risk injury. It would be unwise to stay from a "professional" perspective, and him staying another year I think would start to put questions in NBA scouts' minds about his competitiveness.

This is just hater talk. Totally unjustified. You clearly haven't watched much of Smith this season. Either that, or you don't know basketball at all.
Yep, the thing I think he's improved on the most is probing the defense with his dribble and looking for driving opps. He dribbles with a purpose. X should take note.

Purdue is good, and I believe that Wisconsin and they are going head-to-head for the conference. Smith is a good leader and has improved but I don't believe that PU has the team or the talent to win it all. I still think they will be exposed in the tournament by faster guards. After watching Indiana State in person, I believe their three guards would be a nightmare for Smith. PU and Edey would most likely be too much for them, but I would love to see that matchup in the tournament.

Painter is a solid coach and gets the best out of his teams but three straight flameouts in the tournament does not portend well for them to win six games in the tournament.

ISU is a good team and should be in the tourney this year. They may be the perfect team to pull a so-called seed upset in the tournament depending on the matchup. The Swope kid that transferred from Southern Indiana is a shooter and scorer that I would love on the IU team.
So why can PU beat Arizona, Tennessee, Marquette, Alabama, Illinois if they don’t have the guards?
I think tourney has always been a plague for PU but they have the talent to win it all this year

So why can PU beat Arizona, Tennessee, Marquette, Alabama, Illinois if they don’t have the guards?
I think tourney has always been a plague for PU but they have the talent to win it all this year
Yes, and I think their guys made a pact with one another that that's what they are focused on (the tourney). I think it's part of the reason they are struggling a little more in the conference this year: this wasn't their agreed upon goal and I look for them to really try and kick it up a notch during the B10 tourney and beyond. But, that team has largely been together, so they started off quicker and were farther along in terms of chemistry, than everyone else (also caught IL without Shannon; a huge break). Their guards will still be vulnerable as will ZE when he stops being officiated by B10 officials, and he starts to get some fouls called on him. I noticed they had the audacity to call 3 on him yesterday. Time for Matt to start crying in post-games again, and get the B10 refs in line: Zack does not foul!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT