ADVERTISEMENT

You give….

Smith NBA? Lol
careful. He may have an NBA "career" like Dakota Mathias and then we'll never hear the end of it! I think he could actually make it on the offensive end, but he's going to be hard to hide on D in the league. But, he'll get paid to play pro ball somewhere for a good long while. Just like Hulls was.

So you think Cupps or X would play that well with Edey? I don’t at all. My point on Magic, most great Pg’s had players make them better and players they made better.
Woodson swinging for the one and done players makes him miss on program guys in his back yard
They'd play a heckuva lot better. Plus, most are comparing a soph Smith to a freshman Cupps. Smith wasn't nearly as good a scorer or penetrator last year. He played much like Cupps is this year, but just with a better shot and was more willing to drive it. He also had the advantage of knowing he was going to be starting and practiced that way from the summer. Smith was much better than I expected, but just based on descriptions, I thought IU made a mistake not recruiting him. But, also at the time, I think we had JHS who no one expected to leave after 1 year and I think already had a commitment from Cupps, so it seemded less a need with X here too. Cupps has been a bit disappointing but I still think he'll be fine. Depends on the players that we get to surround him!

1. Doesn't matter .. the scoreboard speaks for itself.

2. Retire, move to the country, plant a little garden, and not worry about stupid shit.
Well damn, I sincerely cared what your analysis was.

I’ve moved to beautiful property 20 miles or so south of Bloomington. Good advice about moving to the country. I am looking out my office windows at woods, pasture land with horses and cattle grazing.

Unfortunately sometimes at night I can barely hear traffic on 37 between Bedford and Bloomington.

And the damn UPS jet makes a bunch of noise flying over around midnight.

They'd play a heckuva lot better. Plus, most are comparing a soph Smith to a freshman Cupps. Smith wasn't nearly as good a scorer or penetrator last year. He played much like Cupps is this year, but just with a better shot and was more willing to drive it. He also had the advantage of knowing he was going to be starting and practiced that way from the summer. Smith was much better than I expected, but just based on descriptions, I thought IU made a mistake not recruiting him. But, also at the time, I think we had JHS who no one expected to leave after 1 year and I think already had a commitment from Cupps, so it seemded less a need with X here too. Cupps has been a bit disappointing but I still think he'll be fine. Depends on the players that we get to surround him!
Our offense would run much better with Smith. He creates, he moves the ball and he can shoot.

Well damn, I sincerely cared what your analysis was.

I’ve moved to beautiful property 20 miles or so south of Bloomington. Good advice about moving to the country. I am looking out my office windows at woods, pasture land with horses and cattle grazing.

Unfortunately sometimes at night I can barely hear traffic on 37 between Bedford and Bloomington.

And the damn UPS jet makes a bunch of noise flying over around midnight.
Well, I've pointed out what I think is the biggest issues with him. Namely not valuing possession based basketball, going too deep into rosters for rotations. Recruiting is good, but can still be much better. Need to value and recruit some role players build team that fit together. Those are actually fixable if he adapts or listens to others and are both based on pro vs college basketball mindset. It's not his x and o, it's his roster and lineup management. that can be verified through stats .. and the eye test.

As far as what Dolson ... I really don't care about that shit. That's business not basketball or entertainment. I don't follow the coach, I follow the team with Indiana on the front of the jersey. I got over the entitlement many have when we hired Crean (our first dumpster dive) and quit playing the fantasy wishing grass is greener over there game years ago.

23 years of the same dumbass conversation has to get boring sooner or later, right?

Last edited:
Well, I've pointed out what I think is the biggest issues with him. Namely not valuing possession based basketball, going too deep into rosters for rotations. Recruiting is good, but can still be much better. Need to value and recruit some role players. Those are actually fixable if he adapts or listens to others and are both based on pro vs college basketball mindset.

It's not his x and o, it's his roster management.

As far as what Dolson ... I really don't care about that shit. That's business not entertainment. I don't follow the coach, I follow the team with Indiana on the front of the jersey. I got over the entitlement many have when we hired Crean (our first dumpster dive) and quit playing the fantasy wishing grass is greener over there game years ago.

23 years of the same dumbass conversation has to get boring sooner or later, right?
Roster construction and recruiting go hand in hand and I think this is Woody’s biggest failure.
Landing Liam and nobody else is not good recruiting. Buying a 1 and done kid isn’t building a program or great recruiting.
We are going to be a 1 year turnover of roster again next year due to heavy portal recruiting.
Recruit kids to build around and then grab a star.

Roster construction and recruiting go hand in hand and I think this is Woody’s biggest failure.
Landing Liam and nobody else is not good recruiting. Buying a 1 and done kid isn’t building a program or great recruiting.
We are going to be a 1 year turnover of roster again next year due to heavy portal recruiting.
Recruit kids to build around and then grab a star.
Yup, he really needed a triple threat scoring guard or wing this year and not getting one has bit him in the ass. Even a quality backup .. Couple that with X not being dependable ... and that not one guy we did get fits except Kel, and that not one guy we had except Malik got better .. So we have half a team ..

That's the hand he dealt himself and then making it worse he keeps putting Sparks, CJ, and/or Walker in the game at the same time further shooting himself in his own ass.. regardless of how well they do individually, the team falls apart especially with two or more bench scrubs in.

This last game, we stayed with Purdue, at least within striking range, and then the bench starts rotating in and they go on a huge run, again.

That's almost every f**king game this year that's happened. 2nd half of the OSU game he went with a very tight rotation of 7 players. The correct 7. There was a huge difference... it can't be more obvious.

Next year is next year ... he can build around Malik, Trey and Liam.. need guards and wings, a rim protector and some reliable bench players but he needs to stop doing dumb shit too .. he's killing himself and the team with those lineups ..

Well, I've pointed out what I think is the biggest issues with him. Namely not valuing possession based basketball, going too deep into rosters for rotations. Recruiting is good, but can still be much better. Need to value and recruit some role players build team that fit together. Those are actually fixable if he adapts or listens to others and are both based on pro vs college basketball mindset. It's not his x and o, it's his roster and lineup management. that can be verified through stats .. and the eye test.

As far as what Dolson ... I really don't care about that shit. That's business not basketball or entertainment. I don't follow the coach, I follow the team with Indiana on the front of the jersey. I got over the entitlement many have when we hired Crean (our first dumpster dive) and quit playing the fantasy wishing grass is greener over there game years ago.

Correct

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yup, he really needed a triple threat scoring guard or wing this year and not getting one has bit him in the ass. Even a quality backup .. Couple that with X not being dependable ... and that not one guy we did get fits except Kel, and that not one guy we had except Malik got better .. So we have half a team ..

That's the hand he dealt himself and then making it worse he keeps putting Sparks, CJ, and/or Walker in the game at the same time further shooting himself in his own ass.. regardless of how well they do individually, the team falls apart especially with two or more bench scrubs in.

This last game, we stayed with Purdue, at least within striking range, and then the bench starts rotating in and they go on a huge run, again.

That's almost every f**king game this year that's happened. 2nd half of the OSU game he went with a very tight rotation of 7 players. The correct 7. There was a huge difference... it can't be more obvious.

Next year is next year ... he can build around Malik, Trey and Liam.. need guards and wings, a rim protector and some reliable bench players but he needs to stop doing dumb shit too .. he's killing himself and the team with those lineups ..
Agree but he isn’t recruiting a core. No reason we only have Liam and only chased the top 10-15 ranked players. Get some guys who want to wear the uniform.

Of course it would Mr Obvious. Smith is the better player, and especially vs a freshman Cupps, he has way more tools. Cupps is a smart kid and I think will work on his weaknesses. He's never going to be the shooter Smith is, and I don't think will ever be as offensive minded or as natural a passer, but he can improve in those areas and I think is a better defender than Smith was as a freshman.

Last edited:
Stuck in the groundhog day Time Machine. The names change, but the Song Remains the Same. I just wish I could reprogram my clock radio song of choice for waking me up. It ain’t you babe isn’t cutting it.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Yup, he really needed a triple threat scoring guard or wing this year and not getting one has bit him in the ass. Even a quality backup
Do you think another coach could have developed Gunn or Banks or anyone else on the roster into that threat, at least enough to make a difference? Or is the real problem that they were brought here and are bad fits?

Yogi was a constant threat to score. Smith will never be close to the level of Yogi’s shooting and scoring. And Smith is a good passer, but obviously his assist rate will fall off after Lurch.
And on the defensive end, Smith could only dream of being able to guard like Yogi.
Smith’s not a threat to score? He’s scored 19 or more in 6 games this year and averaging nearly 13 points per game. He’ll still average 7 assists a game next year and will have more boards and points next year.

Like it or not he’s on pace to have a better statistical career then Yogi

Yea, he's very limited defensively ... but the ball is always live when it's in his hands, no wasted movement, no wasted dribbles.. Smith may not ever score at Yogis level but he's a pure PG, with an inherent god-given PG mentality and always a threat with the ball in his hands.
He is limited defensively because Purdue can't afford for him to get in foul trouble. Painter has changed his defensive philosophy as well. They used to channel point guards and try and keep the ball on the side. Now with freedom of movement it is more about staying in front and not giving up straight line drives.

Smith’s not a threat to score? He’s scored 19 or more in 6 games this year and averaging nearly 13 points per game. He’ll still average 7 assists a game next year and will have more boards and points next year.

Try to comprehend. I said Yogi was a greater threat to score. Smith will never score as many points as Yogi. When Lurch is gone and the open sugar shots for guards are not so available - he and Loyer will both see a different world. He is hitting his high mark on scoring this year. Let me know when he averages over 17 pts per game. And again, Smith couldn’t carry Yogi’s jock on the defensive end.

Yogi should have been league MVP. Smith will never get a whiff of consideration. There is no comparison between the 2.

Well, somehow we've transitioned from comparing Gabe Cupps to Braden Smith to comparing Yogi Ferrell and Braden Smith.

"There is no comparison between the two". Ok, here is a comparison:

Smith (FR)
FG% 43.8%
3FG% 37.6%
FT% 86.8%
REB 4.2
AST 4.4
STL 1.2
TO 2.0
PTS/G 9.7

Ferrell (FR)
FG% 40.3%
3FG% 30.3%
FT% 79.8%
REB 2.8
AST 4.1
STL 0.8
TO 2.1
PTS/G 7.6

Smith (SO)
FG% 47.1%
3FG% 42.3%
FT% 78.9%
REB 5.6
AST 7.1
STL 1.6
TO 2.7
PTS/G 12.7

Ferrell (SO)
FG% 41.3%
3FG% 40.0%
FT% 82.4%
REB 3.0
AST 3.9
STL 0.8
TO 2.6
PTS/G 17.3

And BTW, Smith will receive a lot of first team All-BIG first team consideration as a sophomore. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

Well, somehow we've transitioned from comparing Gabe Cupps to Braden Smith to comparing Yogi Ferrell and Braden Smith.

"There is no comparison between the two". Ok, here is a comparison:

Smith (FR)
FG% 43.8%
3FG% 37.6%
FT% 86.8%
REB 4.2
AST 4.4
STL 1.2
TO 2.0
PTS/G 9.7

Ferrell (FR)
FG% 40.3%
3FG% 30.3%
FT% 79.8%
REB 2.8
AST 4.1
STL 0.8
TO 2.1
PTS/G 7.6

Smith (SO)
FG% 47.1%
3FG% 42.3%
FT% 78.9%
REB 5.6
AST 7.1
STL 1.6
TO 2.7
PTS/G 12.7

Ferrell (SO)
FG% 41.3%
3FG% 40.0%
FT% 82.4%
REB 3.0
AST 3.9
STL 0.8
TO 2.6
PTS/G 17.3

And BTW, Smith will receive a lot of first team All-BIG first team consideration as a sophomore. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good narrative.

So yogi averaged 5 more PPG than smith his soph year?
that's a lot.

And less turnovers too!

Ouch.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilerball3
That is not really true, Braden was hurt and didn't start practicing at Purdue until late August his freshman year! He missed summer workouts.

that's a lot.

And less turnovers too!

Ouch.
Smith outscored Ferrell by 68 their freshman years! Smith in his sophomore has currently 171 assists, Ferrells best year(senior) had 195. Smith will pass that with ease! Here is the real kicker, Ferrell for his career, IU's Strength of schedule was a very low 7.28, a poor 6.64 his sophomore year. Smith had to run through a SOS 9.57 as of today, Purdue currently has a SOS of 10.84 this year ! Who in the world was IU playing back then? Was that the era of the cupcake classics?

Try to comprehend. I said Yogi was a greater threat to score. Smith will never score as many points as Yogi. When Lurch is gone and the open sugar shots for guards are not so available - he and Loyer will both see a different world. He is hitting his high mark on scoring this year. Let me know when he averages over 17 pts per game. And again, Smith couldn’t carry Yogi’s jock on the defensive end.
You might be totally wrong, after Edey leaves, Purdue next year will be much more of a uptempo team, have really good skilled athletes coming in with some the good athletes they currently have. I think Purdue will lead the BT in scoring again, Braden should feast!

• Haha
You might be totally wrong, after Edey leaves, Purdue next year will be much more of a uptempo team, have really good skilled athletes coming in with some the good athletes they currently have. I think Purdue will lead the BT in scoring again, Braden should feast!
Lol

That is not really true, Braden was hurt and didn't start practicing at Purdue until late August his freshman year! He missed summer workouts.
I was hearing that he was looking like your starting guard before school even started, which is August. Hard to imagine that happening if he was hurt, but I know it was before school started, and not like I'm "connected", so If I was hearing it down here in NC, it was pretty well known.

that's a lot.

And less turnovers too!

Ouch.
4.6 ppg more, but who does math down there anyways

Yogi 2.7 reb 3.9 assists 17.3ppg
Smith 5.6 reb 7.1 assists 12.7ppg

Give me Smith

• Haha
Reactions: kkott

Smith is undoubtedly a good player but having Edey in there contrives the whole offense. He literally takes up the space of two people with screens and in the paint and you can't deny that every team has to double and triple team him. That is fundamentally unique and works to the benefit of every player on the floor, especially the guy in charge of handing the ball and running the offense. He's good enough to capitalize on it and has.

Next year will tell you a lot about him. Purdue is not what I'd call up tempo so we'll see how he fares in that game if they have to shift to it with the new roster.

Reactions: kkott

I think all of this is spot on. I also think that he's failed in several other aspects: Building a culture, execution and player growth. I don't think Archie had that capability either. Crean had pieces and parts but I'm not convinced he had the technical chops and ultimately became a bit of an imposter.

He’ll still average 7 assists a game next year
we'll see, but I don't think so. I could get 6apg tossing it to Edey. Smith is good and will still be a good player, but his life will get much harder when Edey's gone. I agree his ppg will go up, but I think FG%, 3P% and APG will all drop next year.

Yogi was a relentless defender? He averaged 0.8 steals per game

Smith is averaging 1.4 steals per game for his career so far and he’s a sophomore
So you think steals equates to defensive effectiveness? You obviously never played any ball. Wasn’t Raphael Davis supposed to be a defensive stud? He averaged 0.6 steals per game. Do I need to run through steals stats for multiple players to show you that steals do not equate to defensive prowess? If you really think that Smith could guard anywhere close to Yogi, then I can’t help you.

we'll see, but I don't think so. I could get 6apg tossing it to Edey. Smith is good and will still be a good player, but his life will get much harder when Edey's gone. I agree his ppg will go up, but I think FG%, 3P% and APG will all drop next year.
The big picture is that Painter knows how to pick the working parts and fit them together. PU, as a team, has proven that they can beat anybody. Likewise, they can come out flat and lose to anybody. IU, OTOH, has proven the latter this year....not much else.

The big picture is that Painter knows how to pick the working parts and fit them together. PU, as a team, has proven that they can beat anybody. Likewise, they can come out flat and lose to anybody. IU, OTOH, has proven the latter this year....not much else.
I don't know about losing to anybody. PU plays hard for 40 minutes, if not always at their highest level. But you're not going to beat them unless you can match that intensity, and make 3s, imo. Auburn and UConn both impressed me with how hard they played throughout the game, KU had to turn it on, but of course they were playing in AH. Still, I don't think it would've mattered that much vs UConn or Auburn when we played them. They were going to beat us by solid double digits regardless of where it was played.

So you think steals equates to defensive effectiveness? You obviously never played any ball. Wasn’t Raphael Davis supposed to be a defensive stud? He averaged 0.6 steals per game. Do I need to run through steals stats for multiple players to show you that steals do not equate to defensive prowess? If you really think that Smith could guard anywhere close to Yogi, then I can’t help you.
That maybe true, but there are other things to look at like W-L records and SOS. Yogi played on a loaded team as freshman, ranked No.1 won the BT went 29-7, their SOS was 8.39( good not great). As a sophomore IU was 17-15 overall and 7-11 in the BT and they had a poor SOS of 6.64! That's a record of 46-22 and 21-15 in the BT play with a SOS average of 7.52. Smiths record at Purdue so far is 41-8, 26-7 in BT play and 1 BT championship and BTT championship, and possible headed for a couple more BT trophies. Purdues SOS this year is 10.84, and their two average is 9.57! Yogi was good, but so is Braden, at least his results show he has played the best and has had great success! The real problem for IU is that they have to reach into the past history for comparisons, while Purdue is talking about today!

I
That maybe true, but there are other things to look at like W-L records and SOS. Yogi played on a loaded team as freshman, ranked No.1 won the BT went 29-7, their SOS was 8.39( good not great). As a sophomore IU was 17-15 overall and 7-11 in the BT and they had a poor SOS of 6.64! That's a record of 46-22 and 21-15 in the BT play with a SOS average of 7.52. Smiths record at Purdue so far is 41-8, 26-7 in BT play and 1 BT championship and BTT championship, and possible headed for a couple more BT trophies. Purdues SOS this year is 10.84, and their two average is 9.57! Yogi was good, but so is Braden, at least his results show he has played the best and has had great success! The real problem for IU is that they have to reach into the past history for comparisons, while Purdue is talking about today!
I'm old and forgetful. How many NPOY did Yogi play with? Think that might have anything to do with Smith's "success"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT