ADVERTISEMENT

you all got me watching the IU womens game

They really play sound basketball. Absolutely love the ease in which they break the press and move the ball on offense. Their 3-point and FT shooting %'s are better than the mens team.
They shot just under 70% as a team last night and OSU under 60, which surprised me

Lol. You didn’t watch the IU ladies @MSU without our PG, did you? Amazing how much a 4 or 5 yr PG means to a team.

And maybe you missed TJD getting 20 shots a game without our PG the last 3 games.
The women are better than the men against their peer competition with or without Johnson.

Reactions: kmathum and kkott
The women are better than the men against their peer competition with or without Johnson.
It's all between the ears. Those girls, in addition to being good players, are competitors, have a desire to win, are a well-built squad, play with joy, don't get down from a mistake or two and genuinely like each other. There is a lot our men's players and coaches could learn from them if they will. If I was CMW, I'd be buying Teri Moren breakfast every week and picking her brain. She's building a culture and that's something I think has been lacking from our men's program for 20 years now. It's cool how the players gather and sing Hail to Old IU after the game with their arms around each other. I'll bet the remainder of their home games are packed because I think everyone there last night had a great time. Anyone go?

Last edited:
They really play sound basketball. Absolutely love the ease in which they break the press and move the ball on offense. Their 3-point and FT shooting %'s are better than the mens team.
No, not it's not. FTs yes, 3% no. I love watching the women's team play, but their one weakness is consistency from 3. On the year they are at 35% and the men's team is at 37%, so no they do not shoot the 3 better

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
No, not it's not. FTs yes, 3% no. I love watching the women's team play, but their one weakness is consistency from 3. On the year they are at 35% and the men's team is at 37%, so no they do not shoot the 3 better
Couldn't both be true? I'll bet overall game to game, the women are more consistent shooters and I'll bet they also shoot better when they need to: mounting a comeback or late game situations. They seem to have a focus and raise their play... another gear we don't see that often with our men's team. Someone said Bates' ppg for the lasts 4 games is: 0, 0, 17, 0. So, he's averaging 4.25 ppg over that stretch, but in 3 of the 4 he was 0fer.

I know when they need a 3 (ala Garzon last night at the start of the 3rd quarter) I feel like they are going to make the shot, and I don't always feel that way with the men. Heck, when we get fouled at this point, I only ever expect them to make 1 of 2. Between Garzon, Parrish, Berger, and Scalia when they put up a 3 when they need it, I feel like it's going in. Those 4 and Moore-McNeil also as a group probably average better than 80% from the FT line, which to me is another indicator of a truly good shooter. I have a tough time buying in on TG as a true 3 pt marksman when he shoots under 70% at the FT line.

It's all between the ears. Those girls, in addition to being good players, are competitors, have a desire to win, are a well-built squad, play with joy, don't get down from a mistake or two and genuinely like each other. There is a lot our men's players and coaches could learn from them if they will. If I was CMW, I'd be buying Teri Moren breakfast every week and picking her brain. She's building a culture and that's something I think has been lacking from our men's program for 20 years now. It's cool how the players gather and sing Hail to Old IU after the game with their arms around each other. I'll bet the remainder of their home games are packed because I think everyone there last night had a great time. Anyone go?
Yes and it was really fun and loud! Getting students to attend really helps atmosphere. With it being a late game, they did a great job of promoting to students, as families wouldn’t be coming. A great show for only $10!

• Love
Reactions: kkott
Couldn't both be true? I'll bet overall game to game, the women are more consistent shooters and I'll bet they also shoot better when they need to: mounting a comeback or late game situations. They seem to have a focus and raise their play... another gear we don't see that often with our men's team. Someone said Bates' ppg for the lasts 4 games is: 0, 0, 17, 0. So, he's averaging 4.25 ppg over that stretch, but in 3 of the 4 he was 0fer.

I know when they need a 3 (ala Garzon last night at the start of the 3rd quarter) I feel like they are going to make the shot, and I don't always feel that way with the men. Heck, when we get fouled at this point, I only ever expect them to make 1 of 2. Between Garzon, Parrish, Berger, and Scalia when they put up a 3 when they need it, I feel like it's going in. Those 4 and Moore-McNeil also as a group probably average better than 80% from the FT line, which to me is another indicator of a truly good shooter. I have a tough time buying in on TG as a true 3 pt marksman when he shoots under 70% at the FT line.
You can "feel" all you want, but that does not change the facts the men's team is overall shooting 2% better on the year. Also true at a quick glance

Best % game Men 60% (vs MSU, 15 attempts)women 54.5 (vs UNC--22 attempts)
Worst % game Men 12.5% (vs Wisc, 8 attempts), women 13.6% (vs NW 22 attempts)

Games shooting over 40% Men 8, women 6
Games shooting under 30% Men 5, women 7

Players shooting 35% or better on 1+ attempt per game Men 5, women 2

We have been conditioned to say the men's team can not shoot, and while that has been the case in the past, they have shot it well, and for the thought that the women's team shoots it better, well, that is just wrong.

And again, I love watching the women team play and have made the 4-hour drive down 4 times this year to watch, but their biggest weakness is consistency from 3

Reactions: Middawg
You can "feel" all you want, but that does not change the facts the men's team is overall shooting 2% better on the year. Also true at a quick glance

Best % game Men 60% (vs MSU, 15 attempts)women 54.5 (vs UNC--22 attempts)
Worst % game Men 12.5% (vs Wisc, 8 attempts), women 13.6% (vs NW 22 attempts)

Games shooting over 40% Men 8, women 6
Games shooting under 30% Men 5, women 7

Players shooting 35% or better on 1+ attempt per game Men 5, women 2

We have been conditioned to say the men's team can not shoot, and while that has been the case in the past, they have shot it well, and for the thought that the women's team shoots it better, well, that is just wrong.

And again, I love watching the women team play and have made the 4-hour drive down 4 times this year to watch, but their biggest weakness is consistency from 3
Again, maybe yes, and maybe no. I'm not an aficianado on women's bball stats, but my guess is overall they shoot a few % points worse than the men in almost every area... maybe with the exception of FTs. But, I still see way more missed layups with women and would guess it extends to all areas. So a women's team that shoots 35-38% may well be the equal of a men's team that shoots 40%+, compared to their opponents, no? It really doesn't matter how they shoot compared to a men's team, just to other women's college teams.

EDIT: we are both right. Found a good NCAA website. IU women are 2nd in overall FG% but 44th in 3 pt %. The men are a tick better in both overall and 3 pt %, but barely:

NCAA Women's bball stats:

Last edited:
Again, maybe yes, and maybe no. I'm not an aficianado on women's bball stats, but my guess is overall they shoot a few % points worse than the men in almost every area... maybe with the exception of FTs. But, I still see way more missed layups with women and would guess it extends to all areas. So a women's team that shoots 35-38% may well be the equal of a men's team that shoots 40%+, compared to their opponents, no? It really doesn't matter how they shoot compared to a men's team, just to other women's college teams.

EDIT: we are both right. Found a good NCAA website. IU women are 2nd in overall FG% but 44th in 3 pt %. The men are a tick better in both overall and 3 pt %, but barely:

NCAA Women's bball stats:

I never made the argument about shooting 2's or FT's, the women are absolutely better from the FT line and both teams are incredibly efficient from 2--of course, both have an AA post who takes the majority of shots and connects at near or over 60%.

Several on here have tried to argue that the women's team is a better 3-pointt shooting team, which is just wrong--both when comparing head-to-head and depth of shooters, and with relationship to the other men's/women's teams. The one advantage the women have from 3 is Garzon shooting right at 50% with 90 attempts. IF Scallia finds her range again the women can and will pass them in overall percentage, but right now they are a tick behind

Lol. You didn’t watch the IU ladies @MSU without our PG, did you? Amazing how much a 4 or 5 yr PG means to a team.

And maybe you missed TJD getting 20 shots a game without our PG the last 3 games.
Here's my opinion: We have all kinds of guards on our team. And guess what? The are on scholarship! Seems kinda ridiculous you act like X is the next coming of Curly Neal or something. He's averaging nearly 3 turnovers per game...just barely below the freshman guard who's been forced to handle the ball in X's absence. As for feeding Trayce, you probably need to watch a bit more closely. He has been getting the ball in different positions during this renaissance. Hell, he brings it up and initiates the offense quite a bit lately. The ladies continually search for passing lanes and angles to get Holmes the ball in the lane directly in front of the rim. Trayce might get a lob or a touch down there once a game. He has to work a helluva lot harder that Holmes does to get the ball in scoring position. That's coaching.

I have season tickets for the women but gave my tickets for last night to a co-worker because of the late start time. My 9yo granddaughter lives with us and the late weeknight games are not doable. I was disappointed to miss it. Great atmosphere. We will be there Sunday with all 3 grandkids. It is the best entertainment value in central Indiana and if you like basketball, no matter the gender or level, this IU women's team plays the game the way I think it should be played and with the spirit it should be played.

They sure do. Not to be catty, I used to have a beard and pony tail, but some interesting players for sure.
I’m gonna be politically incorrect here, but IU doesn’t, and that’s one of the things that adds to my enjoyment of this team. There. I said it. Go ahead and come at me folks. I can already picture zeke having an aneurysm as I type.

Last edited:
They said sellout, so I'm guessing for women's games they don't sell balcony seats? Of course if they think they could sell enough of them...
Error on TV's part.

Balcony was open last night (although only five people sat up there). It is GA for women's basketball and you can sit anywhere you want. Balcony will open if needed and although they did just in case it really wasn't necessary. Lower level was almost 100% full though. If women could sell the same 17,222 tickets as men do they would. There was nothing last night or any other night stopping them. They just did not get there.

Ohio State on the other hand blocks off upper level and has a 10k capacity for women's games which is why the 9,000+ Monday for them was nearly a sellout. IU on other hand has no such limitations and it would take 17,222 just like men to be considered a sellout. BTN announcer made an error. It was a great crowd though.

Error on TV's part.

Balcony was open last night (although only five people sat up there). It is GA for women's basketball and you can sit anywhere you want. Balcony will open if needed and although they did just in case it really wasn't necessary. Lower level was almost 100% full though. If women could sell the same 17,222 tickets as men do they would. There was nothing last night or any other night stopping them. They just did not get there.

Ohio State on the other hand blocks off upper level and has a 10k capacity for women's games which is why the 9,000+ Monday for them was nearly a sellout. IU on other hand has no such limitations and it would take 17,222 just like men to be considered a sellout. BTN announcer made an error. It was a great crowd though.
I hope people that live close take the 17,222 as a challenge

Error on TV's part.

No freaking way!! Big 10 announcers never say anything foolish! 😂

I’m gonna be politically incorrect here, but IU doesn’t, and that’s one of the things that adds to my enjoyment of this team. There. I said it. Go ahead and come at me folks. I can already picture zeke having an aneurysm as I type.
Exactly. Last night there was a stark difference in the appearance of players on each team. IU has lady players. OSU had several wide-bodies and some others that simply look like dudes.

Not that I know for sure, because like Kurt I’m not willing to watch South Carolina, but I’d bet they resemble a bigger, manlier, osu team.

No freaking way!! Big 10 announcers never say anything foolish! 😂
The ladies announcers are fairly weak. They miss when subs are made, miss good plays away from the ball, miss when a help out defense is late to slide over, etc. They do not seem knowledgeable of the game.
I should have been an announcer, instead of the 1M/ year job I took.

They call Berger the silent assassin
She’s very good. So is Parrish and Garzon. Heck even Moore-McNeil grew on me as that game progressed and osu kept trying that lame press. She was in the middle of almost every break.

The ladies announcers are fairly weak. They miss when subs are made, miss good plays away from the ball, miss when a help out defense is late to slide over, etc. They do not seem knowledgeable of the game.
I should have been an announcer, instead of the 1M/ year job I took.
Yeah, we’ve all made poor career choices. Try not to let it affect your happiness. 😂

Reactions: Jssanto
Here's my opinion: We have all kinds of guards on our team. And guess what? The are on scholarship! Seems kinda ridiculous you act like X is the next coming of Curly Neal or something. He's averaging nearly 3 turnovers per game...just barely below the freshman guard who's been forced to handle the ball in X's absence. As for feeding Trayce, you probably need to watch a bit more closely. He has been getting the ball in different positions during this renaissance. Hell, he brings it up and initiates the offense quite a bit lately. The ladies continually search for passing lanes and angles to get Holmes the ball in the lane directly in front of the rim. Trayce might get a lob or a touch down there once a game. He has to work a helluva lot harder that Holmes does to get the ball in scoring position. That's coaching.

You have the right to have an opinion, even an incorrect one. First, please show me where I ”acted like X is the next coming of Curly Neal”? Second, the women’s team has struggled at times against the press. I have watched every game this year (have you?) and they have struggled at times, especially against MSU without Grace. Last night, with Grace, they were terrific for sure.

Without X, IU has struggled at times too. I can not recall any game this year with X where we struggled against the press. Maybe you can remind me. Rutgers maybe?

As for feeding the post, somebody is passing him the ball. His is not doing it by himself. 7 of his 11 makes at Minnesota were by assist. And 3 others were offensive rebound put backs. About the same for MSU, IL, and Wisky. You really should watch the games more closely.

You have the right to have an opinion, even an incorrect one. First, please show me where I ”acted like X is the next coming of Curly Neal”? Second, the women’s team has struggled at times against the press. I have watched every game this year (have you?) and they have struggled at times, especially against MSU without Grace. Last night, with Grace, they were terrific for sure.

Without X, IU has struggled at times too. I can not recall any game this year with X where we struggled against the press. Maybe you can remind me. Rutgers maybe?

As for feeding the post, somebody is passing him the ball. His is not doing it by himself. 7 of his 11 makes at Minnesota were by assist. And 3 others were offensive rebound put backs. About the same for MSU, IL, and Wisky. You really should watch the games more closely.
A little testy, are we?

It was better than good Kurt … IUWBB looked like a final four team last night and may have cemented a 3 to 6 seed overall.
Well considering before the game they were the projected overall 2 seed!! Nothing is wrapped up yet, still have to go to OSU and 2 games with Iowa and a home game witg Mich, not to mention 2 with Purdue who just won at Illinois

They said sellout, so I'm guessing for women's games they don't sell balcony seats? Of course if they think they could sell enough of them...
If they said that they were wrong. There were some corner seats open and they’d open balconies if they needed to. They did for NIT and NCAA games.

Why? Sydney Parrish is gorgeous. What’s wrong with pointing that out? Don’t make fun of anyone that isn’t and why woukd it be a problem? Miller Kopp, Trey Galloway and Trayce are all pretty hot too.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Funny way of showing it. Bet you’re a real hoot at parties.

I am the life of the party! I don't rag on my alma mater's basketball team or coach like some people do. Nobody like a Negative Nancy or Debbie Downer.

• Haha
Reactions: mk30
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT