ADVERTISEMENT

Yo Phish, were you in Trubble...

Hank Reardon

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2004
...Brewing earlier today? I was walking in around 6 pm and saw some dudes leaving and one of them was sporting a t-shirt from your beer club. Thought about saying something but honestly a couple of those dudes looked like they'd knife me for sport.

I assume one of them was you?

Reactions: twenty02
...Brewing earlier today? I was walking in around 6 pm and saw some dudes leaving and one of them was sporting a t-shirt from your beer club. Thought about saying something but honestly a couple of those dudes looked like they'd knife me for sport.

Phish is the true OG. Menacing character... Pretty sure he packs a knife...

Reactions: MillerTime
Was probably Joel. He is a big guy with a beard. He also have a shaved head and sleeved out in tats but is a computer engineer of some sort and is smart as shit. I know he was there today for the 5-7 release of Trubble's first ever brew they are going to sell.

I unfortunately had adult duties to take care of today which is a drag, man.

Most days I wear a khaki colored Grateful Dead hat.

Was probably Joel. He is a big guy with a beard. He also have a shaved head and sleeved out in tats but is a computer engineer of some sort and is smart as shit. I know he was there today for the 5-7 release of Trubble's first ever brew they are going to sell.

I unfortunately had adult duties to take care of today which is a drag, man.

Most days I wear a khaki colored Grateful Dead hat.

Yeah. Big dude. Shaved head. Tats. He was definitely one of them. Scared me sh1tless. Well, not really.

haha. I'd like to meet up with you for a beer sometime dude.

I'm a mug club member at Summit City. David is getting better but still hit and misses quite a bit. I bought a mug to support the local business more than the taste of his beer. I'm #17 and hopefully Summit City lasts a while and I'll be an OG mug club member.

I'm a mug club member at Summit City. David is getting better but still hit and misses quite a bit. I bought a mug to support the local business more than the taste of his beer. I'm #17 and hopefully Summit City lasts a while and I'll be an OG mug club member.

I don't get out there much. I feel a bit guilty about that but his beer is, well, not that great. Back when he was a MASH club member his stuff was never particularly good and I was surprised he tried to open a brewery.

I should get back out there though and throw some support his way. He's a good guy and if he can keep it going and beef up his brewery he might be able to achieve a bit better consistency.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
I don't get out there much. I feel a bit guilty about that but his beer is, well, not that great. Back when he was a MASH club member his stuff was never particularly good and I was surprised he tried to open a brewery.

I should get back out there though and throw some support his way. He's a good guy and if he can keep it going and beef up his brewery he might be able to achieve a bit better consistency.
Honestly why do you feel the need to support this guy if his product isn't very good?

I wouldn't go back to a restaurant if I didn't like the food. What am I missing?

@eppy

you aren't allowed in the Beer Thread and you aren't allowed in this thread.

go back to the thread arguing about Crean sucking just a little bit or sucking alot.

tia

Reactions: MTBRider and Eppy99

I definitely like Summit's atmosphere, but man their food menu needs to be simplified yesterday. I have always loved the building Trubble is in, and i like what they have going. Look forward to that Junk Ditch (i think that is what its called) spot opening....need to get to Tolon, Nolot is the real deal and a very good person...if you like bikes you should have seen his my god was she pretty

...if you like bikes you should have seen his my god was she pretty

47539431.jpg

Honestly why do you feel the need to support this guy if his product isn't very good?

I wouldn't go back to a restaurant if I didn't like the food. What am I missing?

Just because I'd like to see the guy succeed. Fort Wayne needs more places of the type he's trying to do. If he can keep it going, make a little money, get some better equipment and improve his output...well that'd be a good thing. I think he simply tried to get started with too little. The last time I was there his brewing setup was...eh, not exactly high end stuff. Pretty tough to put out a consistent product with the setup he's using.

Bottom line, he's a good guy and if he can make it go, that's a win win.

Just because I'd like to see the guy succeed. Fort Wayne needs more places of the type he's trying to do. If he can keep it going, make a little money, get some better equipment and improve his output...well that'd be a good thing. I think he simply tried to get started with too little. The last time I was there his brewing setup was...eh, not exactly high end stuff. Pretty tough to put out a consistent product with the setup he's using.

Bottom line, he's a good guy and if he can make it go, that's a win win.
And that's the problem with one of the Griffith breweries - Pokro started out on a 1 bbl system, and then went to two, but the cash flow demands won't allow them to let the beer properly attenuate and/or chill out. Always selling a beer before its ready is a recipe for disaster.

Yet, I still drink one now and again, because I know these people invested everything in this venture....

And that's the problem with one of the Griffith breweries - Pokro started out on a 1 bbl system, and then went to two, but the cash flow demands won't allow them to let the beer properly attenuate and/or chill out. Always selling a beer before its ready is a recipe for disaster.

Yet, I still drink one now and again, because I know these people invested everything in this venture....

If I'm going to critique David's approach at Summit City Brewerks...I'd say he needs to concentrate on a half dozen house beers with a couple of rotating specialties. The guy (according to the current web site) has 20 of his own beers on tap, along with another 15 guest taps. Of course that's one reason I tend to avoid the place is that some of his guest taps are good stuff, and since I know the guy I'd feel guilty going in there and ordering a Ballast Point beer from him when he's got his own beers on tap.

Most of his stuff tastes like a home brewer brewed it. He simply doesn't have the consistency or control to put out the exact same beer over and over so you're never really sure what you'll get. That and he's too enamored with complicated fruit and spice beers.

I respect the hell out of him for trying. Takes balls. But I'd like to see him simplify his approach and develop a few rock solid house beers that he can brew consistently, rather than brewing 20 different things of wildly differing quality. Just my opinion.

You sure he wasn't with his doo wop club "Here Comes Treble!"?

I read a while back, that any brew pub that attempts to operate on less than a 7bbl system is doomed to fail. And a brewery that wants to wholesale needs to be 10 to 15bbl min.

A 1 or even 2 bbl system? No way they can even make money doing that, not to mention he's probably having to work ungodly hours just to put out enough to pay his bills.

I read a while back, that any brew pub that attempts to operate on less than a 7bbl system is doomed to fail. And a brewery that wants to wholesale needs to be 10 to 15bbl min.

A 1 or even 2 bbl system? No way they can even make money doing that, not to mention he's probably having to work ungodly hours just to put out enough to pay his bills.
I think you're correct on the hours...there's a nano located in Chesterton called Hunters, and they brew on a 1 bbl system, although I think they've since expanded to two. Run by a very nice couple, and they are always there, and evidently, brewing beer nearly every day.

Beers are generally pretty good, but what Hank described previously is the case here - inconsistent from batch to batch, at least recently.

http://www.huntersbrewing.com/index.html

I think you're correct on the hours...there's a nano located in Chesterton called Hunters, and they brew on a 1 bbl system, although I think they've since expanded to two. Run by a very nice couple, and they are always there, and evidently, brewing beer nearly every day.

Beers are generally pretty good, but what Hank described previously is the case here - inconsistent from batch to batch, at least recently.
http://www.huntersbrewing.com/index.html

A 1 bbl system is a glorified homebrew setup. The thing about beer, I imagine it takes about the same time to brew their 30 gallons of beer that it takes someone else to brew 200g. I guess if you are just doing it all yourself, whatever, but that's not much of a business model, and a LOT of hard work.

I'm guessing they sell a lot of their guest tap beers.

If I'm going to critique David's approach at Summit City Brewerks...I'd say he needs to concentrate on a half dozen house beers with a couple of rotating specialties. The guy (according to the current web site) has 20 of his own beers on tap, along with another 15 guest taps. Of course that's one reason I tend to avoid the place is that some of his guest taps are good stuff, and since I know the guy I'd feel guilty going in there and ordering a Ballast Point beer from him when he's got his own beers on tap.

Most of his stuff tastes like a home brewer brewed it. He simply doesn't have the consistency or control to put out the exact same beer over and over so you're never really sure what you'll get. That and he's too enamored with complicated fruit and spice beers.

I respect the hell out of him for trying. Takes balls. But I'd like to see him simplify his approach and develop a few rock solid house beers that he can brew consistently, rather than brewing 20 different things of wildly differing quality. Just my opinion.

I know nothing about brewing but something about running a beer joint. From my perspective (and maybe goat can jump in), if you really don't mind supporting the place, I would rather you come in and have something you enjoy and have a good experience. Same goes for the food side of things.

The cash flow of actually selling something to a repeat customer would far outweigh any hurt feelings I had from someone not liking my stuff.

But I'm not a brewer. You make them sound like egomaniacal pansies.

The cash flow of actually selling something to a repeat customer would far outweigh any hurt feelings I had from someone not liking my stuff.

But I'm not a brewer. You make them sound like egomaniacal pansies.

Well, to be fair, that's probably the case with this guy. I wouldn't characterize him as an egomaniacal pansy. It's probably me that is the pansy for not wanting to risk offending the guy. But you're correct, I'm sure he'd rather sell me a few pints off the guest taps than nothing at all.

Well, to be fair, that's probably the case with this guy. I wouldn't characterize him as an egomaniacal pansy. It's probably me that is the pansy for not wanting to risk offending the guy. But you're correct, I'm sure he'd rather sell me a few pints off the guest taps than nothing at all.
What FL33 is missing, and you'll have to forgive him, he was likely breaking down tape of the Bulls vs Knicks tilt last night, is that you are brewer (of some renown, I might add), and in that tight knit circle, if you walk in to his place, and drink a guest tap over one of his, then he pretty much knows what you think of his beer.

What FL33 is missing, and you'll have to forgive him, he was likely breaking down tape of the Bulls vs Knicks tilt last night, is that you are brewer (of some renown, I might add), and in that tight knit circle, if you walk in to his place, and drink a guest tap over one of his, then he pretty much knows what you think of his beer.
Great point, but maybe it would help the guy if he knew what Hank thinks of his stuff, and in a nice, passive aggressive way too. But of course if the guy didn't care about his opinion before opening up with his substandard brew then he probably won't care now either.

I didn't realize Hank was famous. Maybe he could wear a diguise in.

Ben-Stiller-Do-It-Starsky-and-Hutch.gif

Or just tell him his stuff sucks. It's not like a business is going to survive on pity.

Great point, but maybe it would help the guy if he knew what Hank thinks of his stuff, and in a nice, passive aggressive way too. But of course if the guy didn't care about his opinion before opening up with his substandard brew then he probably won't care now either.

I doubt he cares what I think of his stuff, and to be completely fair I haven't been there in a few months so my opinions might not be relevant anymore. Phish could probably tell us what the state of his beers are. Of course that might be why he brews a lot of fruit/spice combos and Sours. Everyone knows what a balanced Pale Ale is supposed to taste like and a bad one would be obvious. But what's a Maple/Ginger Porter w/Pomegranate supposed to taste like? There's no frame of reference for some of those things, so is it good? Bad? Or simply personal preference?

Yeah. The beer nerd crowds part when I walk in most places. That's probably why the Pour Misfits guys high-tailed it out last night when I got there. The knew it was their time to leave and make way... :rolleyes:

Reactions: PtownHoosier

Ben-Stiller-Do-It-Starsky-and-Hutch.gif

Or just tell him his stuff sucks. It's not like a business is going to survive on pity.
I maybe the only one on this forum who has sampled Hank's brews; they were good. I've got the first $50 in capital for his venture, should he decide to go that route.

I doubt he cares what I think of his stuff, and to be completely fair I haven't been there in a few months so my opinions might not be relevant anymore. Phish could probably tell us what the state of his beers are. Of course that might be why he brews a lot of fruit/spice combos and Sours. Everyone knows what a balanced Pale Ale is supposed to taste like and a bad one would be obvious. But what's a Maple/Ginger Porter w/Pomegranate supposed to taste like? There's no frame of reference for some of those things, so is it good? Bad? Or simply personal preference?
My vote would be "bad", but I could be wrong.

He brews the best beer in Fort Wayne which is called Big Bad Mudfudger. It is amazing. He also misses quite a bit trying all sorts of funky shit. If he kept Mudfudger on tap year round with a few others he does well and just had maybe 5 or so guest taps I think he would be better off.

To his credit they have improved 500% since they initially opened. They have trivia night which brings people in as well as acoustic music etc that brings crowds in of people that wouldn't normally go to a brewery.

I maybe the only one on this forum who has sampled Hank's brews; they were good. I've got the first $50 in capital for his venture, should he decide to go that route.

My buddy has a craft whiskey distillery. Some of our friends threw in early on just because. I declined because I declined some other friends on business ventures, and I knew nothing about the business. Apparently he just cleaned up at some tasting competition. His main stuff is a few years off yet - - the downside to whiskey. I probably just missed out on the next round of Buffalo trace or something.

That's a long way of saying: send hank his money now.

He brews the best beer in Fort Wayne which is called Big Bad Mudfudger. It is amazing. He also misses quite a bit trying all sorts of funky shit. If he kept Mudfudger on tap year round with a few others he does well and just had maybe 5 or so guest taps I think he would be better off.

To his credit they have improved 500% since they initially opened. They have trivia night which brings people in as well as acoustic music etc that brings crowds in of people that wouldn't normally go to a brewery.

Well that sounds promising. Don't see Mudfinger on his website now. Too bad. But you've convinced me to give the place another go. I think I'll talk Mrs. Reardon into going down there tonight and having a couple. He apparently has Grapefruit Sculpin on tap and she loves that. I'd be down to try a couple of his pints. It's a place I'd really like to like if you know what I mean.

If Hank is as good as you say, and he has a recipe for great pilsner or lager I would invest enough money to make it a realistic small business....seriously, call my bluff......i dream of starting a keg line and making bung hole jokes all day. Are you interested Hank, do you have a pilsner or lager that stands out? If you do, i will give you $200 right now for you to make as much as possible for me to sample and give out for confirmation that it is good. If we knock down the first domino then we proceed to the next.

If Hank is as good as you say, and he has a recipe for great pilsner or lager I would invest enough money to make it a realistic small business....seriously, call my bluff......i dream of starting a keg line and making bung hole jokes all day. Are you interested Hank, do you have a pilsner or lager that stands out? If you do, i will give you $200 right now for you to make as much as possible for me to sample and give out for confirmation that it is good. If we knock down the first domino then we proceed to the next.

Ha ha. Let's be clear. Hoops Cat is exaggerating my brewing prowess. It's true that I sent him some beers a few years back, but it was pretty early on in my homebrewing adventure and in retrospect they weren't particularly good. I wouldn't send beers like those to anyone these days. Hoops is just being kind.

Anyway, I'm old (like...Ovaltine old) and can't grow a proper beard so I have no future as a professional brewer. I'm more of a professional drinker.

Ha ha. Let's be clear. Hoops Cat is exaggerating my brewing prowess. It's true that I sent him some beers a few years back, but it was pretty early on in my homebrewing adventure and in retrospect they weren't particularly good. I wouldn't send beers like those to anyone these days. Hoops is just being kind.

Anyway, I'm old (like...Ovaltine old) and can't grow a proper beard so I have no future as a professional brewer. I'm more of a professional drinker.
I've been to BrewExpos before (i have a machine that does well in this market, so we are in all sizes of breweries from Miller to Yuengling to Rogue to Lakefront) and yes, if you do not have a beard you might as well have a d!ck growing out of your forehead....i don't have a beard

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT