ADVERTISEMENT

WTF - 2nd Assistant Poached by Harbaugh

Are you talking about Greg Frey from 2017? ha He went to UM in 2017. Florida Gators in 2018 and went to Duke in 2019 (where he is today). We weren't a top team back then and a move to Michigan was expected. With Hart leaving a week ago, he wants to go home and I would assume there was no way to stop that. I am not too worried about this......

The league needs to discourage it. I understand assistants are poached. But to do it within your own league shows disrespect, imo.

Reactions: red hornet
So the conference should discourage coaches from leaving their current employer for another within the conference? Purdue lost a DL coach to Illinois, PSU snagged the Minnesota OC last year. Those are just 2 other I can think of, I am sure there are plenty more.

Restricting where people can be employed generally doesn't go over well.

The league needs to discourage it. I understand assistants are poached. But to do it within your own league shows disrespect, imo.

I agree with Sir_Saucy.

Not to be disrespectful to your position on it by any means but I just think in the past you often saw coaches moving to higher tiered schools only. With so much money available in the B1G to the point that a program like IU can almost equally compensate in the same manner as the traditional powers (and in the case of our S&C coach, the NFL) you now see more opportunity for movement. It seems to be how things now happen everywhere unless you are Clemson, Alabama and OSU, but NFL seems to poach those guys.

What I will say is Tom Allen has navigated this unique environment masterfully so far and I am not concerned about anything long term.

I agree with Sir_Saucy.

Not to be disrespectful to your position on it by any means but I just think in the past you often saw coaches moving to higher tiered schools only. With so much money available in the B1G to the point that a program like IU can almost equally compensate in the same manner as the traditional powers (and in the case of our S&C coach, the NFL) you now see more opportunity for movement. It seems to be how things now happen everywhere unless you are Clemson, Alabama and OSU, but NFL seems to poach those guys.

What I will say is Tom Allen has navigated this unique environment masterfully so far and I am not concerned about anything long term.

Hart was good at recruiting and spotting under the radar guys, but I don't think he is irreplaceable. CTA will find the right guy, he has up to this point more often than not.

Are you talking about Greg Frey from 2017? ha He went to UM in 2017. Florida Gators in 2018 and went to Duke in 2019 (where he is today). We weren't a top team back then and a move to Michigan was expected. With Hart leaving a week ago, he wants to go home and I would assume there was no way to stop that. I am not too worried about this......
Frey went to FSU not Florida then to Duke.

Michigan is Hart's alma mater, plus he's undoubtedly getting a massive pay raise. There's nothing that can or should be done about it. Frey went to an ACC school, also for a large pay raise. This is the way CFB works. Has always worked. Until/unless we pack the rock all season for about a decade, we can't even think about thinking about being a destination school for these coaches, because we won't be able to offer competitive salaries without taking the program to that level for a sustained period of time.

You have it beenpayung attention, the days you long for are gone. There is no longer any rules or even a gentlemen’s agreement about transferring players and never was one about poaching coaches. Purdue’s DL coach just left to go to Illinois and work for his college coach at Wisconsin. free agency is upon us in all areas, both players and coaches.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT