ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't you know it?

cmo1

Senior
Sep 3, 2001
The big boy from Michigan State and the big boy from Ohio State will be playing in the Big Ten Tournament! Don't see IU beating Ohio State with Wesson back on the team. Suspensions and injuries are a joke in college basketball!!

The big boy from Michigan State and the big boy from Ohio State will be playing in the Big Ten Tournament! Don't see IU beating Ohio State with Wesson back on the team. Suspensions and injuries are a joke in college basketball!!
I do, I would say if we cannot beat a quality team … and they're not really that good, then we don't deserve in. I'm excited again because it would really be a good experience for the team, but if we can't beat a mediocre OSU, we probably don't deserve it. No participation trophies.

We need to give the ball to Romeo and get out of the way to start this game, let him get hot and get some fouls against them do Davis and Morgan can operate, then spread it out. That was a good point made by someone earlier.

OSU stiffled IU by doubling Morgan and clogging the driving lanes.

IU needs to make them pay by hitting outside shots.

And play very aggressive defense to try to run them in transition.

Morgan needs to be smart and pass out of the low post quickly or make a spin before the double comes.

Reactions: TommyCracker
No time to whine about it. Go out and play like you have recently, and there is no contest. Get Wesson in foul trouble early. Launching early 3's was part of the problem in the 1st game (and injuries/suspensions/obvious chemistry issues). Programs on totally different directions, atm. Always tough to win a tourney game against a good team with their backs against the wall, but I still like our chances on Thursday. We'll talk about Friday if we take care of business Thursday.

We will play a lot better considering we have actual front court depth this time around. I doubt Morgan only scores 3 points as well.

Did Wesson’s suspension length mirror the length of IU’s D. Green?

Sorry you can't see IU beating Ohio State... maybe it's time to get that TV repaired or buy a new one so you can watch the damned game.

I'd agree that suspensions are often strategic in nature, but injuries? You think MSU has been strategically sitting Ward, which had them lose to us and cost them an outright B10 championship to screw IU in the BTT? And, I agree with what others have said, if we want to be in the tourney, we will beat OSU. Looking forward to both games!

I do, I would say if we cannot beat a quality team … and they're not really that good, then we don't deserve in. I'm excited again because it would really be a good experience for the team, but if we can't beat a mediocre OSU, we probably don't deserve it. No participation trophies.
With their "star" being able to play, is OSU "not really that good?"

Is 14 pts and 6 rebounds a game, considered "Star" production. Wesson is a nice player but he was Honorable Mention All Big Ten.

The offense has improved a lot with rob playing his best ball of the year. You never know when old habits may come back. If they shoot poorly or make TO's then they likely lose in the 1st game.

After that, keeping opponents off the offensive boards is what worries me the most when you play teams like Rutgers, OSU and MSU. I hope to see more of Race and Deron but we'll see. Archie seems content to play undersized and wait until Juwan has foul issues before giving Race extended minutes. Sometimes Deron doesn't get many minutes until foul trouble issues arise. I can understand it because Juwan is still the best player on the team in the paint defensively but sometimes I think keeping him out of foul trouble is more important. You can still post him up offensively no matter what position he is playing.

Why would we lose because one player is back from either of these teams?

We lost 55-52 to OSU with him playing. This game was during the worst of our play and OSU barely won with him available. I expect both teams will play much better, but we come in as the hotter team.

We will have a hard time with MSU with or without Ward. His presence doesn't change much. We won with him playing and without.

Why would we lose because one player is back from either of these teams?

We lost 55-52 to OSU with him playing. This game was during the worst of our play and OSU barely won with him available. I expect both teams will play much better, but we come in as the hotter team.

We will have a hard time with MSU with or without Ward. His presence doesn't change much. We won with him playing and without.

Hopefully the teams play tough both ways and it’s an instant classic. Both teams are playing for their NCAA tournament lives, but especially IU. For the last four games we’ve seen a completely different IU team than the one that played OSU last month. Let’s hope this newer IU team is the one that shows up.

We have a somewhat healthy DD and a new Race T. That’s 10 fouls to give plus points and rebounds. Win or lose bring em.
I’m not a fan of deserve to be in or not. We’re in or we’are not. Nobody deserves anything.
Go Hoosiers!
"that's 10 fouls to give". never really understood this. if those two "give" 10 fouls, that's not really helping our team win. that likely puts our opponent in the double bonus early in each half. not a great recipe for winning

Reactions: BigMobe and T.M.P.
The offense has improved a lot with rob playing his best ball of the year. You never know when old habits may come back. If they shoot poorly or make TO's then they likely lose in the 1st game.

After that, keeping opponents off the offensive boards is what worries me the most when you play teams like Rutgers, OSU and MSU. I hope to see more of Race and Deron but we'll see. Archie seems content to play undersized and wait until Juwan has foul issues before giving Race extended minutes. Sometimes Deron doesn't get many minutes until foul trouble issues arise. I can understand it because Juwan is still the best player on the team in the paint defensively but sometimes I think keeping him out of foul trouble is more important. You can still post him up offensively no matter what position he is playing.
and just what are phinisee's "old habits"?

"that's 10 fouls to give". never really understood this. if those two "give" 10 fouls, that's not really helping our team win. that likely puts our opponent in the double bonus early in each half. not a great recipe for winning
Better they get fouls than Juwan. When morgan gets in early foul trouble it really impacts his aggressive play.

Metaphor for playing time coach. Don’t want them to use 10. Just want quality minutes. As jsig said better them than Morgan.

Here is a different thought on Ohio State. I believe the loss they suffered to Wisconsin on Sunday will be devastating to them. They used a lot of energy and effort in the last 7 Minutes of the game to overcome a large Wisconsin lead, tie the game, and send it to overtime, only to lose the game in overtime. That's like letting air out of the balloon. it's really difficult to ride that roller coaster only to have a let down when you lose, and it is difficult to recapture
the energy level you attained in the last 7 minutes of regulation and reach that level going into the next game.

It would not surprise me if Ohio State comes out flat and gets down by double digits early in the game.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Here is a different thought on Ohio State. I believe the loss they suffered to Wisconsin on Sunday will be devastating to them. They used a lot of energy and effort in the last 7 Minutes of the game to overcome a large Wisconsin lead, tie the game, and send it to overtime, only to lose the game in overtime. That's like letting air out of the balloon. it's really difficult to ride that roller coaster only to have a let down when you lose, and it is difficult to recapture
the energy level you attained in the last 7 minutes of regulation and reach that level going into the next game.

It would not surprise me if Ohio State comes out flat and gets down by double digits early in the game.

I doubt that happens.......maybe it would if Wesson had played and the same thing happened. Him returning changes everything, imo.

Is 14 pts and 6 rebounds a game, considered "Star" production. Wesson is a nice player but he was Honorable Mention All Big Ten.

Indiana really should win this game. We'll have the two best players on the court, as well as the best 'role player' (RP) on the court,,,,,,,biggest question for me is whether we get good Green & Smith, or bad Green & Smith....

Reactions: Rakkasan29

I don't know about all that, but you might be proven right. However, OSU's energy level that helped OSU lose to Wisconsin by "only"six points was largely provided by the fact that this game was in front of fans at OSU.

I think it's more likely that an OSU athlete who has trained for years, physically and mentally, is better capable of bouncing back from a disappointing loss than the OSU fan base who likely screamed and drank too much before being disappointed by the outcome.

Let's face it -- I admit I like beer (but nowhere nearly as much as Brett Kavanaugh). However, I honestly must admit that drinking and screaming too much should not be considered to be a "training exercise" that prepares fans for the next game. The bigger factor is whether the supportive OSU fans will actually travel to the neutral arena and support a below-average OSU team before IU kicks OSU's pathetic ass.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I don't know about all that, but you might be proven right. However, OSU's energy level that helped OSU lose to Wisconsin by "only"six points was largely provided by the fact that this game was in front of fans at OSU.

I think it's more likely that an OSU athlete who has trained for years, physically and mentally, is better capable of bouncing back from a disappointing loss than the OSU fan base who likely screamed and drank too much before being disappointed by the outcome.

Let's face it -- I admit I like beer (but nowhere nearly as much as Brett Kavanaugh). However, I honestly must admit that drinking and screaming too much should not be considered to be a "training exercise" that prepares fans for the next game. The bigger factor is whether the supportive OSU fans will actually travel to the neutral arena and support a below-average OSU team before IU kicks OSU's pathetic ass.
The other thing we don't know is how the Ohio State players react to Wasson's return. We don't know the underlying reasons for his suspension but you can bet his teammates do. Do they view it as an unfortunate occurrence and are thrilled to have him back, or do they look at it from the standpoint that he made a dumb ass decision or act that caused the suspension and he abandoned them at the most critical time of the year, and they resent his return?

Reactions: cshartle123

That loss hurt. I would expect it to fire them up knowing they get their star player back. Maybe it is false expectations that he will turn their fortunes around, but if they believe it, it can happen. That loss has been forgotten with an NCAA bid on the line, None of our losses matter now. Win one game and advance. Every win makes it more likely to play in the NCAA than the NIT.

So IU loses to OSU 55-52 right in the midst of playing their worst basketball of the season and you say they have no chance now, when they’re playing their best basketball? One thing IU has improved this past month is their defense. And the last 4 victories they averaged just under 80 ppg offensively. I think IU is in pretty good shape.

I doubt that happens.......maybe it would if Wesson had played and the same thing happened. Him returning changes everything, imo.

Players returning are not always a positive, as it sometimes takes awhile to get them back in synch. A suspension should be different than coming back from injury, but there again that can introduce it's own circumstances with chemistry. Given that we hung with them and could have beaten them when we were playing badly, Wesson just returning, their recent play, and all we have to play for, we should win. If we don't then we didn't want the tourney badly enough as this one is an absolute must win. Wesson is foul prone and with us being able to defend him with Davis and go at him with he and Morgan, let's flip the table and get him in foul trouble! Hoosiers win!

Players returning are not always a positive, as it sometimes takes awhile to get them back in synch. A suspension should be different than coming back from injury, but there again that can introduce it's own circumstances with chemistry. Given that we hung with them and could have beaten them when we were playing badly, Wesson just returning, their recent play, and all we have to play for, we should win. If we don't then we didn't want the tourney badly enough as this one is an absolute must win. Wesson is foul prone and with us being able to defend him with Davis and go at him with he and Morgan, let's flip the table and get him in foul trouble! Hoosiers win!
I could see a player coming back from a suspension playing a little more aggressive than usual. That can be a good thing or a curse. I heard Wesson is prone to foul problems. I suspect he also draws fouls. With the B1G officiating the way it is, there is no way to know who will benefit from the way the game is called. The teams that adjust better have the edge. It isn't what you think is a foul, it is what they are calling a foul at that moment.

Reactions: BigMobe
I could see a player coming back from a suspension playing a little more aggressive than usual. That can be a good thing or a curse. I heard Wesson is prone to foul problems. I suspect he also draws fouls. With the B1G officiating the way it is, there is no way to know who will benefit from the way the game is called. The teams that adjust better have the edge. It isn't what you think is a foul, it is what they are calling a foul at that moment.

Well, Morgan's gotten in his share of foul trouble, but I'm expecting as a senior and more mobile vs Wesson, plus platooning with Davis, if we go at him, we should be able to draw fouls. Morgan's crafty around the basket. If he can isolate on Wesson with the ball, I think that's a big advantage for IU.

maybe but Vegas doesn't seem overly jazzed by his return. a team that beat us at home has all its guys back and is a small underdog against IU. my hope is Wesson only changes the manner in which OSU loses to us...

Well, Morgan's gotten in his share of foul trouble, but I'm expecting as a senior and more mobile vs Wesson, plus platooning with Davis, if we go at him, we should be able to draw fouls. Morgan's crafty around the basket. If he can isolate on Wesson with the ball, I think that's a big advantage for IU.
I hope that is what we do. Morgan had a lot of success in the high post and beating Rutgers to the basket. OSU might not be as easy to do that to, but I would like to test them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT